Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,162 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's a classic case of NIMBY. Not surprising,. NIMBY is a natural human type vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Wibbs wrote: »
    The top two source countries in 2018 for asylum seekers were Georgia and Albania. Maybe I missed the memo about war in those nations? Syrian refugees in the form of families and women and children I have no issue with, majority male chancers from non war zones I do. Step up my arse if you'll pardon my French.

3% of those Georgian asylum applications were successful in 2018, so clearly the conditions for some there warrants asylum.

The "not my town, anywhere but my town" mindset is exemplified most by Dublin and Dubs on here. They always come up with some bullsh1t excuse for not having DPCs in Dublin. Its laughable how they criticise everyone else but want nothing to do with DPCs themselves.

They also prioritise Irish homeless over asylum seekers as has been repeatedly said on here. But as soon as a non Dub does the same they scream racist.

As hypocritical as you can get.

There are hundreds of asylum seekers in direct provision in Dublin. Keep ignoring that aside from Clondalkin and Baleskin, there are scores of temporary set-ups that host hundreds of people.

kerry cow wrote: »
    I don't get it , rights to this , rights to that ,
    if they had any respect for our right and our border then they should have stayed at home and fight their own fight .m

do people not get it , if you are a illegal immigrant then you are illegal till you are made not .
    it's just so crazy that you can just waltz over the border into Europe ,
    no wonder the UK want out , on this major topic .
    that's what has the yanks pumping on also .
    illegal immigrants .

It’s nothing to do with the EU. The UN human rights law requires no prosecution of illegal entry for the purpose of seeking asylum. All signatories are bound by this. It’s a right - whether you ‘get’ it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Doesnt bother me..irish are all over the world. Look back at our past. We exist because of other countries took our sick , your destitute and gave them a future. . Not only for them but the ones left behind . Life is short and I dont hold any hinges against people fleeing war or desperate situations. With migration comes opportunity to expand not only our mind s but help our economy to grow and Prosper . With new ideas and new cultures .

What a load of uninformed bullshyte and totally disingenous.

Typical of your mindset to resort to emotional arguments.
    And in this case they are so far removed from reality it is a joke.

Coming from the West of Ireland a lot of my ancestors are buried around the world from UK, USA, Australia.
    Hell one of my grandfathers is buried outside New York.
    Some were lucky enough to return home to Ireland to see out their days.

And let me tell you this sunshine they all worked damn hard, they never got anything handed to them for nothing.

And the sick got turned away, not taken in as you put it.
    Boggles wrote: »
    25km to one of the country's main hospitals is relatively close.

Far closer than I am to one and I live in a large urban town.

Are you still in Kosovo ?
    BTW do you work for NGO or UN?
    How do the locals survive ... must be terrible living there

Not so bad so long as they don't have to put up with eejits like ...

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

They can also tap up the CWO for expenses too.

Cars on tap and disposable buggies at the bus stop is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

walshb wrote: »
    It's a classic case of NIMBY. Not surprising,. NIMBY is a natural human type vibe.

Is it really NIMBY though? I always took NIMBY as incorporating an tacit "We should have this, but not here" e.g. I want electricity but I don't want the pylons near my house.

I don't think the residents of Oughterard demanded that Ireland do this automatic provision for anyone and everyone who spouts the A word at a passport control in the first place. The system was devised by UN in another time (masses displaced in Europe by WWII) that bears little relevance to our time of low-cost flights, generous welfare, and free movement within EU. Needs revision. It is not the sticking plaster for population falloff that Angela Merkel thinks it is. We certainly don't need population injections anyway in Ireland, as accommodation costs in our cities illustrate so painfully well.

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Im sure a bus would be much cheaper and a lot easier to organise. Plenty of money for flights but cant afford bus fare. Pull the other one.

They spend their €39 on bus fares and taxis - which was the point being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

alastair wrote: »
    They are not provided. Untrue. A recent Dail motion proposed they should be, but that’s not the status quo.

They are provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ten years ago to what? Mass migrations of unqualified Irish people to the US, Canada, Australia? Beyond students on J1's and GAA shirts on Bondi turning quickly turkey wattle red, that would be a nope then. They certainly weren't just rocking up en masse looking for asylum. I realy don't know what you;re looking at at all. Then again your earlier example, which I debunked and you didn't try to contradict, shows at best a naive, or ignorance about actual history of Irish migrations.

A lot of the ones that emigrated, even if only for year or two, over the last 10/20 years were qualified.
    Either with third level degrees or with skills.
    And they damn well worked when they got to their destination, not jumped on the welfare system.
    Granted a fair few that went to likes of Oz often behaved like twats, but they were still working.
    Speaking as an eighth generation jackeen, I agree with you T.

Going by a lot of the posters on here, I have been of the opinion of late that all Dubs were insuferable gobshytes up their own holes who distaintfully look at all things outside the Pale as inferior to be dispensed with as they wished.

Nice to hear one speak with intelligence and understanding.
    Maybe it is you are probably a true blue one and not the first or second generation ones trying to distance themselves from their lineage.
    There are hundreds of asylum seekers in direct provision in Dublin. Keep ignoring that aside from Clondalkin and Baleskin, there are scores of temporary set-ups that host hundreds of people.

So hundreds in Dublin is comparable to hundreds in say Oughterard, Ballaghdereen, Roosky or Moville ?

do you have some alternate way of looking at percentages perhaps ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,162 ✭✭✭✭walshb

topper75 wrote: »
    Is it really NIMBY though? I always took NIMBY as incorporating an tacit "We should have this, but not here" e.g. I want electricity but I don't want the pylons near my house.

I don't think the residents of Oughterard demanded that Ireland do this automatic provision for anyone and everyone who spouts the A word at a passport control in the first place. The system was devised by UN in another time (masses displaced in Europe by WWII) that bears little relevance to our time of low-cost flights, generous welfare, and free movement within EU. Needs revision. It is not the sticking plaster for population falloff that Angela Merkel thinks it is. We certainly don't need population injections anyway in Ireland, as accommodation costs in our cities illustrate so painfully well.

Can be dressed up any way, it boils down to NIMBY. I am not criticizing the people for having this view. NIMBY, I don't think has to have a view that "we want this, but not here." It's more, I don't care what you do, just don't do it here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I'm struggling to see any difference between what you are saying and what some politicians have been saying tbh. If they are guilty of racism, so are you.

He's now saying they won't contribute to society.

They are provided.

No they are not.
    ”The centre managers would not have any role in the provision of medical supplies, the matter would be one for the HSE.

"The question of providing sanitary products for female residents is currently being examined.

"The issue of incontinence supplies will also be considered as part of that process."
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/women-direct-provision-centres-left-13792702

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

Jesus, is there anywhere on our small island that is free from these centres nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They are not provided.
    They are provided.
    No they are not.
    Sometimes a source helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Bullocks wrote: »
    A few years ago I think there was asylum seekers put in a hotel in Roscahill which was closer to Galway than Oughterard and they wouldn't stay because it was too far from the city. Maybe these buckos will have the same complaint?

I think you might be referring to the one that was in Cloonabinnia near Moycullen rather than Roscahill.
    Thats the one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

jmreire wrote: »
    I'd imagine that the govt thinking is, if we publish in advance, a list of planned DP center's for X, Y and Z in 2020, the ink would not be even dry on the paper before the protest's would start, So they take chance, and "drop" a DP Centre smack in the middle of places like Oughterard, and see what happen's..what have they got to lose??? And who know's....it might even work???
    This whole asylum / immigration question need's to be debated openly....People whose lives may be affected by this, need to be consulted....and not just at local level, as is the case in Oughterard....it need's debate on a national level. If this was done...then it may become more acceptable to people. As it is, it's just generating mistrust of a Government who seem more interested in following EU dictate's than the wish's of the people who elected them. The old "Racist" card is long worn out by now.

Yep for the big eu post. Look at big Phil Hogan. Telling us to be good boys and pay our water charges years ago. Big pat on the back.

Boggles wrote: »
    Bullocks wrote: »
    A few years ago I think there was asylum seekers put in a hotel in Roscahill which was closer to Galway than Oughterard and they wouldn't stay because it was too far from the city. Maybe these buckos will have the same complaint?

Really? Have you a link to that?

If they don't stay they are out on the streets.

AFAIK if they stay away for 3 nights they forfeit their place.
    Don't have a link but the hotel went on fire after they left

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The aim for our effort must be to keep them safe and fed until they can go back.
    It should not be to provide a new life here.

http://www.asylumarchive.com/cloonabinnia-hotel.html
    Not alot in that link but that was the spot

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    So hundreds in Dublin is comparable to hundreds in say Oughterard, Ballaghdereen, Roosky or Moville ?

do you have some alternate way of looking at percentages perhaps ?

Did I say it was comparable? Did anyone mention percentages?
    The claim was that Dublin didn’t take asylum seekers, or that there was just a singular DP centre in the city. Neither is true. The DP centre population in Dublin is 776, but there are hundreds more in temporary hotel and b&b set ups around the city - such as the Clayton Hotel in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

walshb wrote: »
    Can be dressed up any way, it boils down to NIMBY. I am not criticizing the people for having this view. NIMBY, I don't think has to have a view that "we want this, but not here." It's more, I don't care what you do, just don't do it here...

It doesn't really. I'm nowhere near Oughterard but completely sympathise with the situation. This is a national issue.

biko wrote: »
    Sometimes a source helps..

Which I provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The aim for our effort must be to keep them safe and fed until they can go back.

That used to be the way. We had Hungarians here in the 50s, quite near to where I grew up in SE Clare. All went back. It is OK if a few stay as with the boat people fleeing the communists in Vietnam in the 70s. That is not mass influx.

Now the idea is get as many of them as possible resident and registered to cast a vote for the outfit who campaigned to keep them here. The average Irish worker won't vote for them, as evidenced by the recent electoral fall of the Labour party. I think it will hurt FG soon enough too.

topper75 wrote: »
    Now the idea is get as many of them as possible resident and registered to cast a vote for the outfit who campaigned to keep them here. The average Irish worker won't vote for them, as evidenced by the recent electoral fall of the Labour party. I think it will hurt FG soon enough too.

Pity they can’t vote in general elections then, isn’t it?
    ‘The idea’ is a bit challenged by common sense.

'Until they can go back'

Nail on the head.

Pity they can’t vote in general elections then, isn’t it?
    ‘The idea’ is a bit challenged by common sense.

Very disingenuous argument. When they're here long enough they will be able to. You know that as well as the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Seems like some of the locals are "terrorizing" a family that is connected to the man who use own the hotel.

Poor form if that is true and hopefully they are arrested and charged.

• Advertisement

Very disingenuous argument. When they're here long enough they will be able to. You know that as well as the rest of us.

Only if they seek citizenship. The numbers of asylum seekers who become citizens is tiny compared to the overall numbers. The ‘idea’ is a crock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement