Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

43 -63% of Africans in Ireland are unemployed

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

enricoh wrote: »
    Note to leo n coveney,

Pointless concept, unless you want them to use it as a coaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Figures from 2016 CSO show that only a few (5 EU) states fair slightly better than natives.
    The bottom 5 are from non-EU states, pretty much as would be expected.

SVqKKZq.png

The figures are indeed stark. EU migrants come here to work and advance their careers. I knew that already tbh. The other cohort do the exact opposite and plan to live off the fruits of everyone else’s labour.

biko wrote: »
    The problem with immigration to protect your pension is that immigrants bring their elderly parents here.
    So for each immigrant you might be getting two elderly parents who must be supported.

The bigger and more immediate problem being the vast numbers on welfare and all the other handouts that go in tandem with those

biko wrote: »
    Maybe Ireland needs better incentives to help our birthrate, like Hungary.

Even then Ireland has highest birth rate and lowest death rate in EU
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-has-highest-birth-rate-and-lowest-death-rate-in-eu-1.3952983

If we weren’t spending vast sums on bogus refugees and their contemporaries then maybe we would have the funding for these?

statesaver wrote: »
    Why not have a proper points system immigration policy and not bring in any tom dick or harry with no qualifications and then having to house them, welfare etc. Or is bringing in any tom dick or harry a way of driving down wages ?

Clearly it isn’t as so few of them seem very concerned with ever working!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

lola85 wrote: »
    chicorytip wrote: »
    It's difficult to qualify for Disability Allowance. The criteria are pretty strict. Over half of claims are disallowed due to lack of compelling medical evidence and most subsequent appeals are rejected. No gravy train, really.

Yeah right.

Stress depression is all you need to say and bingo.

Once your doctor writes a note you have landed.
    lola85 wrote: »
    chicorytip wrote: »
    It's difficult to qualify for Disability Allowance. The criteria are pretty strict. Over half of claims are disallowed due to lack of compelling medical evidence and most subsequent appeals are rejected. No gravy train, really.

Yeah right.

Stress depression is all you need to say and bingo.

Once your doctor writes a note you have landed.
    Well, not just any old doctor. It must be a consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ticking time bomb.

We'll be Sweden on steroids

SVqKKZq.png

Serious trouble coming down the track. The figures don't lie, they can't be massaged and we can't hide from them.

I was speaking to someone recently who had reason to avail of one of the government HAP schemes (I think it was the homeless one) and she is very open person, very warm toward immigration, no issues.

But she said that when she was in the office that deals with HAP at least 3 quarters were foreign and most of them were of African descent - and all had small children.

Now, if that is true, and I don't know if it is or not then what the hell are we doing here?

Who is looking after our money and our state?

I'm a bit disturbed about what the reality could be if this country is being abused and if we are allowing ourselves to abused.

Now maybe that's not the case - I don't know, I hope it's not - but she seemed genuinely taken a back.

If it is true we have to get this thing under control.

We can't afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

I know someone who had this dr ebum in UCD. She's an absolute prick. Challenge or say something against what she believes and your called a racist. Try and state facts against something she has said,your a racist. She's an absolute wagon. I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of her mouth

Ticking time bomb.

We'll be Sweden on steroids

SVqKKZq.png

Serious trouble coming down the track. The figures don't lie, they can't be massaged and we can't hide from them.

I was speaking to someone recently who had reason to avail of one of the government HAP schemes (I think it was the homeless one) and she is very open person, very warm toward immigration, no issues.

But she said that when she was in the office that deals with HAP at least 3 quarters were foreign and most of them were of African descent - and all had small children.

Now, if that is true, and I don't know if it is or not then what the hell are we doing here?

Who is looking after our money and our state?

I'm a bit disturbed about what the reality could be if this country is being abused and if we are allowing ourselves to abused.

Now maybe that's not the case - I don't know, I hope it's not - but she seemed genuinely taken a back.

If it is true we have to get this thing under control.

We can't afford it.

No country can afford this carry on and as you say the stats don’t lie. It’s very depressing that we willingly have given up control of migration in this sense and allowed ourselves to be exploited to such an extent.

I know someone who had this dr ebum in UCD. She's an absolute prick. Challenge or say something against what she believes and your called a racist. Try and state facts against something she has said,your a racist. She's an absolute wagon. I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of her mouth

Yep sounds about right. Exactly the kind of clown Darcy would lap up too. Turned into one sanctimonious gob****e him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've heard it all now that you think the 14% sitting on the dole saved the country....in a thread where everyone is moaning about 60% of Africans being unemployed. Seems like the sensible solution would be to immediately grant them all citizenship so that they are Irish and then can save the country by being on the dole....if they aren't' Irish they're scrounging but if they are Irish, sure they're saving the country

Your thinking is very old fashioned. Back in the 80s the thinking was that it was better that Irish people immigrated rather than being on the dole. This was very shot sighted. The more that left the more people lost their jobs. Its far better for the economy to have more on the dole & less leave the country. Every penny paid out on the dole gets spent within days. It gets clawed back very quickly in vat and income tax. Every few thousand that left caused dozens more to lose their job. 10 years ago young men & women left Ireland. Plumbers, carpenters, electricians etc. When the building kicked off again just a few years later we didn't have tradesmen to fill the jobs. Go to any building site now in Dublin and you will find that the vast majority of workers aren't Irish. We needed & still need to import foreign tradesmen to fill these jobs. We invested time & money training these young Irish people but we allowed other countries to benefit from our investment into these people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Figures from 2016 CSO show that only a few (5 EU) states fair slightly better than natives.

SVqKKZq.png

This graph represents the percentage of persons unemployed as per their country.

Is there anyway of establishing the actual number of non-nationals per country?

The reason I ask, is that this graph can be very easily misinterpreted. For example it states that it only includes countries with 1000+ residents in Ireland, fair enough, but it does not state the actual amount of individuals.

So whilst 7.5% of French nationals working here are unemployed, it is highly likely that there are a lot more French living in Ireland than Congolese for example. ie. if there are 30,000 French here and 1,500 Congolese nationals, then there are actually 2,250 French people unemployed compared to 938 Congolese.

So the graph is being completely misinterpreted without knowing the volume of residents per country.

Apart from that simple analysis, I would like to add that it saddens me to see the amount of racist bile that has been posted on this forum, it is simply disgusting. The sense of entitlement spewed all over this forum, you all know who you are.

I can't imagine how difficult it would be for any Irish person to survive and work in foreign countries, although I have done so myself. But don't forget that you were all given the options of education that many of this countries' newest members were not lucky enough to enjoy. That fact alone should allow you to maybe reconsider your blatant racism, this forum has been an extremely uncomfortable read if I am honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The reason I ask, is that this graph can be very easily misinterpreted. For example it states that it only includes countries with 1000+ residents in Ireland, fair enough, but it does not state the actual amount of individuals.
    Ever hear of proportional representation, no?
    It examined (all) the countries and listed the top 5, and the bottom 5 as a percentage of unemployed status. Simples.

If you think adding 1/2 million Congolese, it would bring their figure down below 50 or even 20%, you could well be dreaming.

The future in an automated world belongs only to the highly skilled and educated. Boris recongised this and has set minimum salary requirements and a new points system. The Uk (Patel) are also set to ban and reject all EU-ID cards at their ports next year. They want to see 'full passports' only. This is due to an increase in forgery from crime gangs outside of the EU.

Meanwhile Turkey (a potential future member) has said they'd open the floodgates to 3.5m migrants if the EU didn't pay them more cash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Woah woah; Saudis? Is that not a bit surprising? Does anyone have any context for these figures? Congo and Nigeria I get. Also, how is Romania not where Saudi should be? Does 'state' refer to americans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

So whilst 7.5% of French nationals working here are unemployed, it is highly likely that there are a lot more French living in Ireland than Congolese for example. ie. if there are 30,000 French here and 1,500 Congolese nationals, then there are actually 2,250 French people unemployed compared to 938 Congolese.
    So what. Do you understand what a % is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

PostWoke wrote: »
    Woah woah; Saudis? Is that not a bit surprising? Does anyone have any context for these figures? Congo and Nigeria I get. Also, how is Romania not where Saudi should be? Does 'state' refer to americans?
    State is the states figures for (Irish) natives, doh!

Saudis likely have too much oil money to bother with actual work. If they didn't have oil coming out their ears, the country would just be a despot desert state of sorts.

Romanians prefer the UK, they've actually overtaken many, many generations of natural neighbourly Irish migration, in less than a decade to become the 2nd largest group there.

State refers to the national average i’d think. If we all carried on local the Congolese then we’d be a busted flush pretty quickly

What the hell is a recent bailed out nation like Ireland doing supporting people from one of the wealthiest countries in the planet? That really illustrates how off the wall this all is

recedite wrote: »

I think the posters username is particularly apt in this case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Modulo??

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Advertisement

Ever hear of proportional representation, no?
    It examined (all) the countries and listed the top 5, and the bottom 5 as a percentage of unemployed status. Simples.

If you think adding 1/2 million Congolese, it would bring their figure down below 50 or even 20%, you could well be dreaming.

The future in an automated world belongs only to the highly skilled and educated. Boris recongised this and has set minimum salary requirements and a new points system. The Uk (Patel) are also set to ban and reject all EU-ID cards at their ports next year. They want to see 'full passports' only. This is due to an increase in forgery from crime gangs outside of the EU.

Meanwhile Turkey (a potential future member) has said they'd open the floodgates to 3.5m migrants if the EU didn't pay them more cash.

I sincerely doubt there will ever be 500,000 Congolese in Ireland. Don't for a second think that I am not focused on what I am saying, please. If you think about what are saying you may have an opportunity to crawl your way out of the hole you are digging.

Turkey borders Syria, Iraq, Iran, Armenia and Georgia. They are most definitely exposed to migrants from all over northern Africa and throw in the rest of the middle east. They have a substantial issue with migration. A lot bigger than a few 1000 chancers hanging around Calais for example.

Your argument is simply preposterous. What is your actual point ?

The Universities complain they’re underfunded yet see no issue with spending millions on dead end courses on made up victim complex rubbish like this one spouts at UCD (Black Studies ffs). Right up there with Feminist and Gender Studies as regards completely worthless Degrees. No doubt UCD had to jump on the bandwagon to stay fashionable abs be seen to fill a few racial quotas in the process

I sincerely doubt there will ever be 500,000 Congolese in Ireland. Don't for a second think that I am not focused on what I am saying, please. If you think about what are saying you may have an opportunity to crawl your way out of the hole you are digging.

Turkey borders Syria, Iraq, Iran, Armenia and Georgia. They are most definitely exposed to migrants from all over northern Africa and throw in the rest of the middle east. They have a substantial issue with migration. A lot bigger than a few 1000 chancers hanging around Calais for example.

Your argument is simply preposterous. What is your actual point ?

If and when there are that many we are well and truly screwed. Just because the initial numbers appear low doesn’t mean they should be let slip under the radar without scrutiny

road_high wrote: »
    If and when there are that many we are well and truly screwed. Just because the initial numbers appear low doesn’t mean they should be let slip under the radar without scrutiny

How many are there now was what I asked with my initial post?

Do you have any idea?

Please elaborate, I don't understand what you are saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Your thinking is very old fashioned. Back in the 80s the thinking was that it was better that Irish people immigrated rather than being on the dole. This was very shot sighted. The more that left the more people lost their jobs. Its far better for the economy to have more on the dole & less leave the country. Every penny paid out on the dole gets spent within days. It gets clawed back very quickly in vat and income tax. Every few thousand that left caused dozens more to lose their job. 10 years ago young men & women left Ireland. Plumbers, carpenters, electricians etc. When the building kicked off again just a few years later we didn't have tradesmen to fill the jobs. Go to any building site now in Dublin and you will find that the vast majority of workers aren't Irish. We needed & still need to import foreign tradesmen to fill these jobs. We invested time & money training these young Irish people but we allowed other countries to benefit from our investment into these people.

Exactly. The dole is actually a stimulus to the economy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

JamBur wrote: »
    Poor education, different work culture, no relevant experience, cultural and language barriers............. It cant be easy

I agree, there are a number of factors that are taken into account when making hiring decisions.

I dislike the way Irish people are being called racist and being blamed for this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It took me a few hundred words to say what you said above in only nine words. A wordsmith I am not. :)

SVqKKZq.png

I wonder are these figures ever discussed by senior politicians. Surely anyone with the responsibility of running the country would be taking this into consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Sorry to be blunt, but those posts are ridiculous.

Firstly, to sleeper12, you moan about Irish (trades)people leaving and not coming back..................that is what started my interaction with you. Do you not realize that the government wanted to introduce some incentives in order to attract those kind of people back? Those are the same incentives that you rubbished and seemed glad that they were not actually put into practice. It is curious also then that you seem to be a little bitter about Ireland benefiting from importing workers it did not have to train.....so you're arguments are all over the shop. The country has almost zero construction-related apprenticeships for a decade. Very little expense on training people for those roles...and now we have a few foreign tradespeople that we got without having to pay for their training. If Paddy Mc had stayed on the dole for 8 years rather than going out to Australia and doing well for himself there, it wouldn't have changed that apprenticeship situation.

Joeytheparrot, have a think about what you are saying. You have heard some soundbytes before about people saying how increasing social welfare can help local economies. And you have tried to be clever and extrapolate that to thinking that having a person on the dole is better for the economy than my posited alternative of a person emigrating and coming back and bringing experience and savings with them to invest/spend/pay down debt. Seriously, have a think about what you are saying and come back and let us know if you still believe what you said.

BTW, if you think that being on the dole is such a great thing for the economy, then surely you must be delighted at the main tenet of this thread - that African's are allegedly leading the way and driving forward the economy with unemployment rates approaching 64%.......perhaps we should send over a few boats to convince some more to come over if they promise to stay on the dole?

Look, I accept that some people might be touchy about the subject - especially if they spent years arse'ing about on social welfare themselves. Some had circumstances where they couldn't leave. That's fair enough. And for some, it was just handier to stay at home and collect the handy money than to up sticks and try something else to improve themselves. That's why the government runs the likes of FAS courses (or whatever it is now). Just to help those that don't have the initiative or wherewithal to do it for themselves. It's to spoonfeed certain types. Of course genuine cases get stuck and caught up in those things as well so it's a pain in the hole for those people. An African person on the dole is worth just as much as an Irish person on the dole is to the local economy. An unemployed Irish carpenter signing off the dole and fecking off to Australia for a few years is then equal to the loss of an unemployed African signing off the dole returning to his home country for a few years. You seem to think that the former would be a loss to the economy. Therefore you must surely consider the latter to be equally so? Judging by plenty of other responses on this thread, I don't think you'll have too many who agree with you!

Advertisement