Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

43 -63% of Africans in Ireland are unemployed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hold on. That cannot be true!! Is it?

It's not true. There was outrage at the suggestion of giving tax breaks to encourage Irish people to return home. That proposal got dropped very quickly after the kite flying. It sticks in the throat the thought of rewarding the Irish that left the rest of us to pay to get the country back on its feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The late Douglas Adams proposed that the answer to life, the universe and everything is "42". We now know it's "racism".

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The problem with immigration to protect your pension is that immigrants bring their elderly parents here.
    So for each immigrant you might be getting two elderly parents who must be supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭enricoh

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Have you not read the thread at all?

The link on the opening post doesn't work but even if it did work we know as fact, real fact not alternative fact, that the claim is totally false. Why do you continue to quote fake news?

16 percent of Africans living in Ireland are unemployed. This is fact. 16 percent, not 50 percent or 70 percent.

I should point out that much more than 16 percent of some white Irish housing estates are unemployed. 16 percent isn't a massive percentage on the grand scheme of things considering education, language racism etc.

You can be as anti immigration as you like in your posts but jasus why can't you keep them factual instead of posting fake facts?

Someone explain the disability allowance to sleeper, he seems to think only the unemployed are a drain on the state and keeps harping on about 16%.
    Fake facts indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,177 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's not true. There was outrage at the suggestion of giving tax breaks to encourage Irish people to return home. That proposal got dropped very quickly after the kite flying. It sticks in the throat the thought of rewarding the Irish that left the rest of us to pay to get the country back on its feet.

No need to be so bitter about it. You could have went too if you wanted to.

Plenty of people left when their work dried up. you might have preferred that they stayed and went on the dole like plenty did. I think it is very good that they went when they did and hopefully more will come back as things lift up again. They will bring their experience and their earnings back. The remittances of emigrants was always an important factor for the Irish economy and although it flies under the radar these days, it is still important.

Here is a remittance map from 2017. $112m was remitted from the US to Ireland, $320m from the UK to Ireland and $60m from Australia to Ireland. As you go down the list the amounts become smaller, but there's still another $76m from the remaining 7 of the top 10

If more of the 14-odd-or-whatever % who were unemployed at the height had gone abroad for 6 months or a year rather than go on the dole, then it would have decreased the SW spend and also potentially helped to pump money back into the country. Granted not all could have gone, but each person who went, took a little bit more pressure off those who remained.

I've heard similar comments to yours being made previously and it always comes across as bitterness and jealously against people who often had to make huge personal sacrifices to go abroad and sort out their situations rather than sit back and moan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

That would really take the biscuit!

enricoh wrote:
    Someone explain the disability allowance to sleeper, he seems to think only the unemployed are a drain on the state and keeps harping on about 16%. Fake facts indeed!

Sleeper keeps talking about 16 percent African unemployment because the thread is about African unemployment. We have official stats for African unemployment (16 percent).

You've brought up disability allowance. Are you going to provide links to official statistics or are you, like many other posters, going to make wild unfounded claims without any proof?

biko wrote: »
    Maybe Ireland needs better incentives to help our birthrate, like Hungary.

Free gyms for all the fat wans maybe..........you never know what a bit of consistent exercise could do in terms of getting them back near level terms with all the sexy foreigners ;)

No need to be so bitter about it. You could have went too if you wanted to.

Ah Jasus. Some of us true Irish had to stay to save the country. I'm not bitter but it was a real insult to the Irish that stayed & paid our taxes to suggest giving tax breaks to the ones that fled & paid no Irish taxes. I wasn't alone and the ridiculous idea was quickly dropped. This is why governments fly kites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1009164/

The employment rate for Africans in Ireland was also very low at 45%, while 66% of Irish nationals were working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Sorry, correction its foreign workers rather than migrants
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/consultants-propose-lower-income-tax-rate-for-foreign-workers-1.3999353?mode=amp

Ah Jasus. Some of us true Irish had to stay to save the country. I'm not bitter but it was a real insult to the Irish that stayed & paid our taxes to suggest giving tax breaks to the ones that fled & paid no Irish taxes. I wasn't alone and the ridiculous idea was quickly dropped. This is why governments fly kites.

G'wan away outta that. Government suggested it because it was a good and sensible idea. Unfortunately there is still a strong Irish begrudgery and too many bitter people who would rather cut off their own noses to spite their own faces and prefer for the country to be poorer rather then them having to pass Jimmy down the road who came home after working abroad and bought himself a new car.

I've heard it all now that you think the 14% sitting on the dole saved the country....in a thread where everyone is moaning about 60% of Africans being unemployed. Seems like the sensible solution would be to immediately grant them all citizenship so that they are Irish and then can save the country by being on the dole....if they aren't' Irish they're scrounging but if they are Irish, sure they're saving the country :rolleyes:

Suppose you had paid 200k in taxes over 10 years. That is less valuable to the economy than if you had emigrated for 10 years, brought back 200k in savings and invested, paid back debt, or even just spent it in Ireland. You probably don't believe (or understand) that. But there is nothing I can do about that.

Sleeper keeps talking about 16 percent African unemployment because the thread is about African unemployment. We have official stats for African unemployment (16 percent).

You've brought up disability allowance. Are you going to provide links to official statistics or are you, like many other posters, going to make wild unfounded claims without any proof?

Ah, i get you- unemployment rate only. (which is 4 times that of the irish incidentally)
    I did bring up disability allowance, its the golden ticket for local bums and imported. Every dole lifer knows it.
    Numbers on it have doubled in the last decade, no figures for different nationalities unfortunately :
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/probe-after-unexplained-surge-in-people-claiming-disability-allowance-36618083.html

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Free gyms for all the fat wans maybe.....
    Say what you will about communism but it sure is a cure for obesity.

Sorry, correction its foreign workers rather than migrants

There's a huge difference between the two

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

lola85 wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1009164/

The employment rate for Africans in Ireland was also very low at 45%, while 66% of Irish nationals were working.

% employed is usually a better parameter these days than % unemployed. Pretty shocking stat that considering you’d expect the brightest and most able bodied to be migrating here

lola85 wrote:

I read that before. Unfortunately it doesn't explain what those figures mean. 66 percent of Irish people working seems very low to me because they don't explain where the other 34 percent are. It could mean that more African families have stay at home mums than Irish families. It could mean anything

There is an 11 percent of a difference between Irish & African employment rates. There is also around 11 percent of a difference between Irish and African unemployment rates so these numbers seem to balance out.

enricoh wrote: »
    Ah, i get you- unemployment rate only. (which is 4 times that of the irish incidentally)
    I did bring up disability allowance, its the golden ticket for local bums and imported. Every dole lifer knows it.
    Numbers on it have doubled in the last decade, no figures for different nationalities unfortunately :
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/probe-after-unexplained-surge-in-people-claiming-disability-allowance-36618083.html

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/the-mystery-of-disability/

Yep.

The mystery of disability in Ireland- David McWilliams.

I read that before. Unfortunately it doesn't explain what those figures mean. 66 percent of Irish people working seems very low to me because they don't explain where the other 34 percent are. It could mean that more African families have stay at home mums than Irish families. It could mean anything

There is an 11 percent of a difference between Irish & African employment rates. There is also around 11 percent of a difference between Irish and African unemployment rates so these numbers seem to balance out.

Kids pensioners disability etc make up the rest of the 66%.

enricoh wrote:
    Ah, i get you- unemployment rate only. (which is 4 times that of the irish incidentally) I did bring up disability allowance, its the golden ticket for local bums and imported. Every dole lifer knows it. Numbers on it have doubled in the last decade, no figures for different nationalities unfortunately :

There is no denying 16 percent is four times higher than 4 percent. I didn't say that they were great numbers however 16 percent is no way near the 70 percent that previous posters were trying to convince us of. Some were posting figures that they knew to be false. Some people seem to have racially motivated reasons to post false information.

Why do we have 16 percent in this group? Education, language and racism most likely make up most of it. We have unemployment blackspots far higher than 16 percent of white Irish in some Dublin housing estates. Education seems to be the biggest player in these cases too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Figures from 2016 CSO show that only a few (5 EU) states fair slightly better than natives.
    The bottom 5 are from non-EU states, pretty much as would be expected.

SVqKKZq.png
    Of the 1,009 Congolese in Ireland in April 2016, 527 persons were in the labour force and 333 were unemployed giving them an unemployment rate of 63.2 per cent, the highest of any group

lola85 wrote:
    Kids pensioners disability etc make up the rest of the 66%.

Well that explains it. We welcome these people in because they are having a lot more kids than Irish people. So they seem to be doing exactly what we want them to do. Well we'd like a lower unemployment rate obviously but having more kids is great news

Well that explains it. We welcome these people in because they are having a lot more kids than Irish people. So they seem to be doing exactly what we want them to do. Well we'd like a lower unemployment rate obviously but having more kids is great news

Good one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

enricoh wrote: »

It's difficult to qualify for Disability Allowance. The criteria are pretty strict. Over half of claims are disallowed due to lack of compelling medical evidence and most subsequent appeals are rejected. No gravy train, really.

lola85 wrote:
    Good one

You can't say I don't try :)

chicorytip wrote: »
    It's difficult to qualify for Disability Allowance. The criteria are pretty strict. Over half of claims are disallowed due to lack of compelling medical evidence and most subsequent appeals are rejected. No gravy train, really.

Yeah right.

Stress depression is all you need to say and bingo.

Once your doctor writes a note you have landed.

chicorytip wrote:

It's not as easy as people are making out but it is increasing. I know people who genuinely aren't fit for work but have been turned down for disability.

Life on the dole has become more difficult for the average sponger weather they black or white. The dole office send you on interviews & cut your dole if you don't go. Many will tell the job interviewer that they are drug addicts or alcoholics so they won't be offered any job. They now expect long term unemployed to attend courses and education though and this messes with their day of doing nothing. In short, the tougher the dole office has become on long term unemployed the more chance their arm at disability. Disability means that you collect your free money (paid into the bank account I think if you want) without the inconvenience of getting calls from the dole office. No courses /education & no job interviews to worry about.

I don't like spongers. I just don't single out a particular race & call them spongers

lola85 wrote:
    Stress depression is all you need to say and bingo.

lola85 wrote:
    Once your doctor writes a note you have landed.

This is not true.

For the most part they don't automatically believe your doctor. They have their own independent doctors that they can send you to. The majority of disability claims are turned down. Many genuine cases have to appeal the original decision or apply a few times before qualifying.

There are scammers but its not anyway near as easy as you think

chicorytip wrote: »

Mustn't be that strict, from that link i posted the numbers getting it doubled in 10 years!

• Advertisement

Figures from 2016 CSO show that only a few (5 EU) states fair slightly better than natives.
    The bottom 5 are from non-EU states, pretty much as would be expected.

SVqKKZq.png

Cheers for that, it says it all really 42.5 percent of nigerians versus 7% french.
    Note to leo n coveney, these people wont be paying our pensions, in fact they will hasten us to have to cut pensions!

Advertisement