Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gamestop Switch 1.1 Trade In Offer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

But aren't switches made before June 2018 are still on sale?
    I just did the trade in. The guy wanted to give me €290. Was very convincing that it was still worth it, but I declined (I was going to try a different store as I was driving that way anyway), and he said he will try to put it through the system and see what comes up. It came up as €300 and he charged me €2 for a level 3 card or something? (I didn't know what he meant).
    My switch was only a few months old and I didn't play it as much as I had planned (Spring and summer saw to that), so it was immaculate. HDMI, Joy Con top bits and some other bits had never even been unpacked.
    The three guys working in the store were American or Canadian, would that be a coincidence or would it be staff coming over to help over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

Suckit wrote: »
    But aren't switches made before June 2018 are still on sale?

Unlikely at this stage, more than likely anything on a shelf today has been hardware patched

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Inviere wrote: »
    Unlikely at this stage, more than likely anything on a shelf today has been hardware patched

They're not. The guy had to update my new Switch today to do the account transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    They're not. The guy had to update my new Switch today to do the account transfer.

The OS version is 8.1 of the new machine in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

SMC92Ian wrote: »

The system software version doesn't determine 'hackability'. There was a hardware revision released over a year ago that patches in hardware, the vulnerability. On those patched Switches, they'll still come with out of date system software like in your case, but it doesn't matter, they're not vulnerable to the current hacking methods regardless.

Hackable Switches, those from launch up to Summer last year, are hackable regardless of what system software version they're on or comes out - it's a hardware vulnerability, it cannot be fixed by software. The latest version 9.0.0 will be out very soon for hackable Switches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Made the switch over today.. They gave me the option of keeping the Pikachu/Eevee dock and joycons if I wanted, we quickly decided that new joycons would be better but was tempted to keep the dock.. In the end, decided all new is better.

Not sure how I was going to feel about the screen. Knowing that I probably wouldn't notice a difference unless side by side, but I must say, its actually nicer. More warmth seems to be the general consensus and I would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I've half-switched.

Crashed through the door of Gamestop in a sweaty mess at 17:40 with a shopping bag of Switch stuff clutched in hand.

They reasonably said it would probably take half an hour to complete the inspection and swap, but offered to do this tomorrow morning and to ring me to collect tomorrow afternoon. So I'm now Switch-less.

I think I've also handed over my chargeable grip in my rush to get into town. Must double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Harpy wrote: »
    Anyone know how strict gamestop are on trade ins.. I have a small crack on the back plate by the top left screw think it was a half known issue .. everything else is in perfect condition, think they'll still take it with the crack?

Just traded mine in with the crack and but chipped. They didn't even notice it well they didn't say anything if they did.. they commented on how good condition it was in while looking at it I was just yeahhhh.. now please put it back in the box.. happy days..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

gibgodsman wrote: »
    No doubt in my mind Nintendo has done this to remove all non patched switches from circulation. Gamestop is most likely being paid to do this so they can cut down on the huge amount of Piracy in the Switch scene. Any Switch before June 2018 can be easily Hacked

I don't think so, its not like GameStop are gonna throw these traded Switches in a skip. Gamestop make far more money on pre-owned consoles, so makes sense to get as many as they can before Christmas and sell them over the new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,904 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I have a few games on my SD card. Do I need to leave this in the Switch when I'm resetting it or can I just take it out now and pop it into the new Switch?

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I have a few games on my SD card. Do I need to leave this in the Switch when I'm resetting it or can I just take it out now and pop it into the new Switch?
    I took mine out, and the guy in the shop checked for it as he was going to take it out anyway. I brought it in with everything still on it, he reset it.

Suckit wrote: »
    I took mine out, and the guy in the shop checked for it as he was going to take it out anyway. I brought it in with everything still on it, he reset it.

Cheers for that. All boxed up here now so ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just take it out. The Gamestop guys will test with one of their own cartridges.
    FYI the SD is wiped when you put it into a new Switch. You have to redownload everything.

Mr E wrote: »
    FYI the SD is wiped when you put it into a new Switch. You have to redownload everything.

Why? :confused:

Most of my games are on cart anyway so not to bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Dunno. I just got a prompt to say "This SD was used in another Switch and must be wiped before it can be used in this one".

Bit of a balls, to be honest. They could have just reset the licenses and left the data there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mr E wrote: »
    Dunno. I just got a prompt to say "This SD was used in another Switch and must be wiped before it can be used in this one".

Bit of a balls, to be honest. They could have just reset the licenses and left the data there.

Agreed. I have a 400gb. It’s been redownloading since about 11am. Still not close to all being done. That’s an irritating feature gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭Nollog

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Why? :confused:

Most of my games are on cart anyway so not to bad.

DRM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Is it too late to be thinking about making this... switch? I hadn't considered it as my console is only a few months old, but I've a few long train journeys coming up which would make the extra battery life worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Is it too late to be thinking about making this... switch? I hadn't considered it as my console is only a few months old, but I've a few long train journeys coming up which would make the extra battery life worth it.

If you play mainly on the train, and don't use the dock the Lite might be a better option.

This trade offer still works vs that, it will cover the entire cost of the console and you'll still have €70 store credit.

If you play mainly on the train, and don't use the dock the Lite might be a better option.

This trade offer still works vs that, it will cover the entire cost of the console and you'll still have €70 store credit.

Cheers. Did consider the Lite, but I still run it docked at weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Only got a switch about a month ago, should i trade up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Have a day one Switch, half thinking the battery life will be much better but only time I really use it portable is flying two or three times a year and not sure it's worth it as I have a powerbank...

30 quid is tempting mind you, but losing hackability though should I decide that down the line could be a bit of a pisser...

Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

When I traded in this evening they said they hadn't been given an end date for the offer so you should have no problem doing it.

Harpy wrote: »
    When I traded in this evening they said they hadn't been given an end date for the offer so you should have no problem doing it.

Nice one, thanks. I'll pop down to my local branch in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I haven't used my Switch since December or in handheld but for 30 quid I thought why not if only for the warranty and new controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Only got a switch about a month ago, should i trade up?

Depends on if you feel the new console and joy cons, with improved battery life and a new warranty for the year for €30 is worth it for you. Its an extremely generous offer at the moment. If you play portable a lot, I'd say it's a good idea for the battery life alone.

Mine wasn't that old. The joy cons and battery made my mind up. I saw a lot of posts from people saying that the joy cons break (fixed under warranty), then the post yesterday about the crack because of the battery heating...
    I just thought I would prefer to avoid any of those issues, and this may be the best chance I'll get to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

Has anyone asked in Game Stop about doing the system transfer to keep your save files when you move to the new console? Or how does it work exactly?

I want to get the offer but don’t want to let my Pokémon save game go.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are the cloud saves reliable? Tempted to trade up tomorrow but I don't think I'd be able to start astral chain from scratch again.

• Advertisement

laneykin wrote: »
    Has anyone asked in Game Stop about doing the system transfer to keep your save files when you move to the new console? Or how does it work exactly?

I want to get the offer but don’t want to let my Pokémon save game go.

Think Ian above had his stuff transfered in store so he might be able to confirm if the Pokemon save transfers.

Advertisement