Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gamestop Switch 1.1 Trade In Offer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Im confused, (and terrible with tech)
    I dont have much game data to worry about.
    I have four users on my switch, me wife and kids each linked to the family online account.
    Can i delete each user go get the new console and re-install them on the new at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Im confused, (and terrible with tech)
    I dont have much game data to worry about.
    I have four users on my switch, me wife and kids each linked to the family online account.
    Can i delete each user go get the new console and re-install them on the new at home?

The guy in the shop will transfer them all if you ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,965 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just did mine there this morning. The guy had to test it but said he wouldn't be able to do it until 10.30 as someone had to cover the counter. He got it done in 15 minutes in fairness to him and had it all rung up on the till when I got back.

I traded in a few old games at the same time and they all got the 50% trade boost as well.

The guy also offered me Wolfenstein Old Blood for €12.50. It was reduced to €25 already and then he said you get 50% off it when buying a new console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

wong wrote: »
    How are you transferring your user account?

I had already backed up my save files and wiped my old Switch, which unlinked my Nintendo account. Then it was just a case of creating a user profile on the new Switch, and linking that to my Nintendo account. Then I was able to redownload my games and save files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Got mine transferred in store by the lads in the Bray shop. 15 minute process and now redownloading all the games at home. Delighted with the offer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Just traded mine in at parkway Limerick, no problems only 2 systems left in store now he said so if your thinking of doing this I wouldn't delay. Was going to trade my daughter's switch also but didn't realise she has drift issues so need to sort with Nintendo now so she will miss the offer ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Just traded mine in at parkway Limerick, no problems only 2 systems left in store now he said so if your thinking of doing this I wouldn't delay. Was going to trade my daughter's switch also but didn't realise she has drift issues so need to sort with Nintendo now so she will miss the offer ah well.

You could either:

A) day nothing and trade it in
    B) trade in and swap the drift joycon with the new one and then get the drift one repaired

Both ways, still new switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Hallaz

Traded a switch today in Balbriggan.
    Our gamestop level 3 card didn't have enough so had to buy that to get deal over the line.

Had Splatoon 2 so needed to transfer the account in store for saved game data.
    We wiped everything else off beforehand.

Wifi in store would not work.
    I offered to leave full price money behind counter while we brought both home but they couldn't allow it.
    So fair dues to guy in store he used his phone data to update the switch and gave us a call when done (about 30 minutes later) Looks like we were the first to do it so learning experience for all!

Also to note they didn't check the old switch before exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Hallaz wrote: »
    Traded a switch today in Balbriggan.
    Our gamestop level 3 card didn't have enough so had to buy that to get deal over the line.

Had Splatoon 2 so needed to transfer the account in store for saved game data.
    We wiped everything else off beforehand.

Wifi in store would not work.
    I offered to leave full price money behind counter while we brought both home but they couldn't allow it.
    So fair dues to guy in store he used his phone data to update the switch and gave us a call when done (about 30 minutes later) Looks like we were the first to do it so learning experience for all!

Also to note they didn't check the old switch before exchange.

They didn't check mine either, turned it on for 2 minutes, wiggled the sticks and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

I traded my switch in the crescent in limerick. The right joy con had massive drift issues. So much so that it made some games unplayable. I dont know if they even checked it but they said nothing and handed me out a new switch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

They appeared to give my Switch a good check in the Parkway on Thursday morning. Only one person working so he took my number and rang when done with testing. Took about 40 minutes but not sure how many customers he had in that time.

Sounds like the Crescent is worth a try or failing that William Street. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Anyone get this in GameStop newbridge? Much hassle? The joycon on the right comes off if you give it enough push so wondering if they will accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

They appeared to give my Switch a good check in the Parkway on Thursday morning. Only one person working so he took my number and rang when done with testing. Took about 40 minutes but not sure how many customers he had in that time.

They had mine for over 2 hours in the crescent. Probably a lack of staff to do the testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think some gamestops are going to have a terrible time with second hand drifting joy-cons and returned consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Considering doing this in limerick today, did you need to bring Dock, cables etc? What about the box?

Considering doing this in limerick today, did you need to bring Dock, cables etc? What about the box?

Of course you need to bring the dock and cables. Why wouldn't you?

Yep bring everything. Don't forget joycon rails and joycon holder (took me a while to find those!)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

Got my trade in yesterday in Game Stop and was an easy experience. I did a transfer across of my profile from my old switch in the shop, had to use hotspot on my phone for internet but only took about 30mins total anyway.

The guy spent about 10 minutes checking my switch, did it in front of me. Checked the joy cons, touch screen, that a game worked. Checked for any scratches or dents then too and that the kickstand was ok. Only got my switch in December so it was pretty much perfect condition so that was all okay.

Trade in is an unreal offer. Like some have said already the Game Stop employee reckoned it might end early cause it’s been very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

Going in with my son now. Can someone clarify what he has to bring in - the console, docking station, controllers, charging cable, sd card, anything else?

Thanks.

sue97 wrote: »
    Going in with my son now. Can someone clarify what he has to bring in - the console, docking station, controllers, charging cable, sd card, anything else?

Thanks.

Bring everything that was in the box when you bought the Switch. The SD card is yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

If ever a thread needed a sticky, it's this one

skerry wrote: »
    If ever a thread needed a sticky, it's this one

It's the exact same in all these trade up threads in fairness. Not just this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, if I've four different accounts on my system, including my primary, each linked to a different email address for "financial purposes" how will this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, if I've four different accounts on my system, including my primary, each linked to a different email address for "financial purposes" how will this work?

Make sure you know what email address and password is for each account before you wipe. Purchases will be tied to whatever account you bought the games on. Saves will be backed up to whatever account you played them on, presume primary and presuming you have online. Set up an offline test account and then Deregister and delete all other accounts.

Set up each account individually when you get new console. It'll even reinstate any profile avatars you had once you link the account to the previous email and password.

Edit: make sure your console is online when deregistering or else it won't link up with servers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

skerry wrote: »
    Make sure you know what email address and password is for each account before you wipe. Purchases will be tied to whatever account you bought the games on. Saves will be backed up to whatever account you played them on, presume primary and presuming you have online. Set up an offline test account and then Deregister and delete all other accounts.

Set up each account individually when you get new console. It'll even reinstate any profile avatars you had once you link the account to the previous email and password.

Edit: make sure your console is online when deregistering or else it won't link up with servers

XownTwq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

I went in and that lads in gamestop were sound, they brought me inside the counter, chair and all to do the transfer. But you need both Switches need to be plugged in, so moved to back room where there was a Double plug.

Some notes to help others.
    • 1 You need both Switches plugged in.
    • 2 When transferring I only transferred my EU account.
    • 3 I didnt know my JP, RU or Africa plus you need to edit region settings or separate emails etc to logon.
    • The good news was all I did was transfer my 1 EU account, yet all my Russian games still worked without transfer. Pure Fluke / a bug I'd reckon but happy days.
    • 4 Once home it took my 3 days to download all games again, I have fiber.
    • 5 When I inserted SD card it prompts to wipe it.
    • I fact it only wiped 250gb of games. It doesn't Saves or my screenshots.
    This was massive as I love my 800 or so Breath of the Wild Screenshots it's like a proper album of good memories.

All in all great and I got 10e Glass screen protector. Much nicer looking than old non glass one.

Now to play it again, update on screen later. I really hate the yellow whites, but editing to Dark Mode and turning up brightness resolves it, in game screen is great but I'll need to play test a bit 1st to be sure.

All in all not bad for 30e.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I know there was discussion of this earlier in the thread but I didn't see a concrete answer.

Would I be able to transfer my account and saves over to the kid's Switch and then over to the new one when I get it? That seems easier than doing it in store. And I don't wanna lose my Splatoon or Pokémon saves.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭peter4918

How rigorous is the testing of the Switch you want to trade in? My R3 button seems to have a mind of its own the last few weeks and it works on and off. If they are testing all the buttons then it probably won’t work when I bring it in!

Honestly varies from shop to shop. What's your local gamestop and see if anyone from here traded there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

peter4918 wrote: »
    How rigorous is the testing of the Switch you want to trade in? My R3 button seems to have a mind of its own the last few weeks and it works on and off. If they are testing all the buttons then it probably won’t work when I bring it in!

From rigorous to not at all, like in Liffey st he just checked all the accessories were there

Advertisement