Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night Events Thread - Spoilers Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    On closer inspection I got suckered in, the link was not official, it had the red UFC logo but the channel name was UFC Full Fights.

All good. I'll find it in the usual spots soon.
    They were definitely keen to have it trending though. Most retweet highlight apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Jesus that Buckley KO :eek:

Tekken moments in real life ****. Unbelievable stuff.

I showed it to a colleague who does TKD but isnt into MMA and he was all like "i dont see what the big deal is. Thats an easy kick to do" :rolleyes:

I showed it to a colleague who does TKD but isnt into MMA and he was all like "i dont see what the big deal is. Thats an easy kick to do" :rolleyes:

Sure, It’s a easy kick to do in your own time, with a compliant training partner.
    Different story when a pro fighter is trying to knock you out as your doing it. Unfortunately many TKD/TMA guys forget there’s a difference. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

FFS...gimp comment.

As someone who trained a long time in TKD, I don't ever remember having to execute it while my opponent was holding my other leg. :rolleyes:

Mellor wrote: »
    Sure, It’s a easy kick to do in your own time, with a compliant training partner.
    Different story when a pro fighter is trying to knock you out as your doing it. Unfortunately many TKD/TMA guys forget there’s a difference. :D

Exactly. Might be easy to do in a kata or something, try doing it in a live fighting situation and its a whole other ball game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

That's literally like saying 'i could easily hook up with a supermodel' sure didn't I hook up with a bird before.'.

I've rewatched that Buckley KO atleast 20 times and I'm still shocked by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭The White Feather

That's like when Anderson Silva KOed Vitor Belfort with a front kick, I showed it to someone who did martial arts with me. They didn't watch or like MMA though and they said it was bad technique as he didn't straighten out his leg fully in the kick! I said but Belfort was KOed. They said not fully as it took Silva 2 more punches on the ground :rolleyes:

That's like when Anderson Silva KOed Vitor Belfort with a front kick, I showed it to someone who did martial arts with me. They didn't watch or like MMA though and they said it was bad technique as he didn't straighten out his leg fully in the kick! I said but Belfort was KOed. They said not fully as it took Silva 2 more punches on the ground :rolleyes:

LOL. He missed the last inch of so of extension as Belforts face got in the way.
    I know it's kind of trendy to take the piss out of traditional martial arts types, but some really forget how far the rules of light-contact styles are removed from full contact fighting.
    If Silva was 6 inches further away, he's have extended fully and barely grazed him. He's have gotten his 2 Points in TKD though :pac:

Mellor wrote: »
    LOL. He missed the last inch of so of extension as Belforts face got in the way.
    I know it's kind of trendy to take the piss out of traditional martial arts types, but some really forget how far the rules of light-contact styles are removed from full contact fighting.
    If Silva was 6 inches further away, he's have extended fully and barely grazed him. He's have gotten his 2 Points in TKD though :pac:

Im sure Silva is crying into his cornflakes even today that he didnt land that kick perfectly :rolleyes:

I think its a TMA thing, they do tend to have a bit of a ****ty attitude like that (not all TMA guys tho, obvs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Tonights card starts at 9 I've just spotted

think it'll be a very good card overall

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

mailburner wrote: »
    Tonights card starts at 9 I've just spotted

think it'll be a very good card overall

Why starting so early?

joeguevara wrote: »
    Why starting so early?

I think they're doing it to cater for the European audience with next week's card in mind in the hope of selling a lot of ppvs, possibly a goodwill gesture?

It's a win win for the American audience, only they'll be watching in the afternoon

Next week's main card starts at 7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Jaysus, Thomas Almeida on the card. Had forgotten all about him. Looked like the next big thing at bantamweight until Garbrandt exploded his jaw. 1-2 since then I've just looked up and hasn't fought in nearly three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Who's the Irish chap in John Phillips corner?

D.Q wrote: »

I know Phillips trains in SBG but I was wondering who it is too.

Cormier always infuriates me listening to him. Always talking about what the guy should do instead of what is actually happening. Acts like he is analysing tape of an opponent rather than commentating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Think Ortega is too big a price vs Zombie tonight.
    Long layoff but he was on a tear before the Max fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

D.Q wrote: »

Coach Roche of SBG fame..he's been on going around with John Kavanagh recently to some events...

That is probably the end of Phillips in the UFC do you all think?

30-25 on 3 score cards

That is probably the end of Phillips in the UFC do you all think?

30-25 on 3 score cards

has to be in fairness
    he doesn't belong there at all, that surely seals his fate

most ground strikes in history after 2 rounds says it all

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    Think Ortega is too big a price vs Zombie tonight.
    Long layoff but he was on a tear before the Max fight.

The price is nuts imo, ko is 10s also

we'll see a much improved Ortega tonight I think, he's had almost
    2 years to work on his weaknesses with his new trainers

Does Ortega still be with Rener Gracie too? I think I remember seeing him in his corner

Does Ortega still be with Rener Gracie too? I think I remember seeing him in his corner
    I think he's only one from his former team still with him

Great fight but I thought Gamrot took that

I couldn't call it but thought kuta was hard on himself

This should be fun however long it lasts
    I've seen very few fighters throughout the years
    That come out as hot as almeida

mailburner wrote: »
    I couldn't call it but thought kuta was hard on himself

This should be fun however long it lasts