Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night Events Thread - Spoilers Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Fight was a cracker.

Whole card was really really good. That Jones come back was a thing of beauty!

Lesson for your man to keep going until the ref stops you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Wow what a great first round to kick off this card.

Cifers gassed bad from trying to finish that fight In the first fight what a comeback.

Jesus martin whaling like a banshee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

That screaming, made me spill my Jamesons...

That armbar was beautiful, Viana is also beautiful.

• Advertisement

Yes, but more screaming....

This cards been great.

Bar all the screaming.

Ah lads bruce Leeroy shaved his head

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

caceres by sub is pretty rare

4 subs so far, will cummins make it 5?

I thought it a pretty weak card, but I have really enjoyed it so far...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Hopefully Lawler calls it a day soon before he takes much more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

What was lawler thinking in that 1st round trying to grapple, bizarre tactic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

The prelims were really solid, main card not so much, apart from Lamas v Algeo.

Lawler and Smith both looked really poor. Where do either of them go after that.

Only a 7 card fight tonight, bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Watched the last 3 fights this morning.

Thought pereira looked excellent against Imadaev. Made Imadaev look an amateur in the striking department even though he was a very good amateur boxer himself.
    Although checked pereira record and it isn't great, does he have the potential to mount a challenge in this division?

Thought OSP was again just too good for his opponent, was OSP not coming back from Covid?

Overeem vs sakai was a very enjoyable fight, some pace for a heavyweight bout. Sakai landing the more shots but overeem seemed to do more damage with his strikes. Take down in 4th by overeem resulted in lots of damage for sakai. Did well to survive to the bell then I was glad the ref stopped it early enough in the 5th before it would have been a round of ground and pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Porthallian

They're making such a big deal about Angela Hill being the first African-American to headline a card. Guessing the first female.
    Apologies, maybe it's a big deal to some people but it feels like they are grasping at straws to make this card seem relevant. Just seems like desperation to me.
    Let the fighters do the talking in the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

For anyone watching the FightPass prelims tonight - did Bruce Buffer kind of stutter/repeat himself at the start of the Barbarena-Ivy fight? I've never heard him make an error before so just wanted to double check.

For anyone watching the FightPass prelims tonight - did Bruce Buffer kind of stutter/repeat himself at the start of the Barbarena-Ivy fight? I've never heard him make an error before so just wanted to double check.

I knew he called the wrong winner before but I couldn't remember the fight so here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrsBW29Yxrw

They're making such a big deal about Angela Hill being the first African-American to headline a card. Guessing the first female.
    Apologies, maybe it's a big deal to some people but it feels like they are grasping at straws to make this card seem relevant. Just seems like desperation to me.
    Let the fighters do the talking in the cage.

hard to do anything to get anyone outside her own family excited
    about this one I reckon

The card might end up being good overall but hill waterson as a headliner is a pretty bad one

mailburner wrote: »
    hard to do anything to get anyone outside her own family excited
    about this one I reckon

The card might end up being good overall but hill waterson as a headliner is a pretty bad one

It might end up being a decent fight, it's just a bug bear of mine that they use that agenda to try and push it.
    I already gave kudos to both women for accepting a 5 rounder on such short notice. Talk about the styles, not their race.
    Anyway, hopefully some good fights ahead. Probably won't stay awake for the main event like I usually do.

Looking forward to watching Billy Quarantillo. I think he's a future contender. Expect Turner to easily win here, Brok Weaver is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Talk about the styles, not their race.

Since this is Dana White's organisation you can be guaranteed that this is purely for marketing purposes as opposed to the UFC suddenly becoming woke or anything like that. They're just trying to find an angle to promote the fight - maybe it gets a few extra eyeballs on it. Not much different from promoting a fight based on one of the fighter's nationality.

Since this is Dana White's organisation you can be guaranteed that this is purely for marketing purposes as opposed to the UFC suddenly becoming woke or anything like that. They're just trying to find an angle to promote the fight - maybe it gets a few extra eyeballs on it. Not much different from promoting a fight based on one of the fighter's nationality.

Ah fair enough. Guess I'm not the target audience. Just an old school fight fan. Not even sure what woke means.

romanov looks pretty good

it'll be interesting to see how far he can go against a better opponent
    martinez is tough as they come though

mailburner wrote: »
    romanov looks pretty good

it'll be interesting to see how far he can go against a better opponent
    martinez is tough as they come though

King Kong. Donkey Kong would be more fitting. Loved those double hammer fists :)
    Martinez is tougher than a $2 steak

Class, I like the Hill Billy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Rodriguez hard done by there. Herman was finished with a knee to the ribs but the ref called it a low blow and gave him time. Sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

US2 wrote: »
    Rodriguez hard done by there. Herman was finished with a knee to the ribs but the ref called it a low blow and gave him time. Sickening

I’d bet on Rodriguez how is it not called as cheating the longest ever low blow stoppage I’ve seen holding his town halls and all while we watch replays of him kneed in stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

showpony1 wrote: »
    I’d bet on Rodriguez how is it not called as cheating the longest ever low blow stoppage I’ve seen holding his town halls and all while we watch replays of him kneed in stomach.

Yep. It is cheating. Would have taken the ref 5 seconds to look at a replay and see it was closer to the neck than balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

US2 wrote: »
    Yep. It is cheating. Would have taken the ref 5 seconds to look at a replay and see it was closer to the neck than balls.

Usually real low blows they’ve cups so take 30 seconds maximum no issues really made - they must have given that cheater 3 mins. The result should be overturned.

• Advertisement

Just caught up on the card now it was decent, the ref really made a balls of the Herman fight and I'd expect Rodriguez to try get it over tuned surely.

Hill crying out of her again as usual on Twitter after getting beat, close fight but not the robbery she and others seem to think it was.

Advertisement