Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night Events Thread - Spoilers Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Open scoring, where each card is announced between rounds is being debated quite prominently at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

joeguevara wrote: »
    Was wondering about this and the fact that when a fighter wins and celebrating in the octagon, without fail their corner man will pull out a phone to stream it and take selfies of his fighter. Wouldn't be surprised if he was looking at the stats during the fight too.

But even if they don't. Be easy to have a guy in the seats, giving signs of the score.

Nobody knows the judges' scores until the end though.. They mostly just celebrate any type of close fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Open scoring, where each card is announced between rounds is being debated quite prominently at the minute.

That could make for some cracking third rounds.

Still Ill wrote: »
    That could make for some cracking third rounds.

Or some ****e ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

silva possibly two up

uriah showing him too much resepct, fight could be lost before
    he decides to push the action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Slipped out of that. Should have been k o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That fight wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected, decent finish from Hall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Awww - lovely stuff at the end there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Sad to see Anderson go out like that. Realistically he should have retired a few fights ago.

Really didn't enjoy Bispings commentary tonight.

martyos121 wrote: »
    That fight wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected, decent finish from Hall too.

Yeah, pleasantly surprised. Silva looked genuinely good early on but got very sloppy. Really hope he takes the gloves off here, even if it would never last.

• Advertisement

winning that fight till getting clipped in the third then he just left
    himself completely open
    It's rare to see him leave himself open like that in the finish but still
    a good performance

It's a pity we dont have a prime silva in the division right now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yeah, pleasantly surprised. Silva looked genuinely good early on but got very sloppy. Really hope he takes the gloves off here, even if it would never last.

Have a horrible feeling we'll see him fighting 5 midgets taped together in a Japanese promotion at some point in the future

Have a horrible feeling we'll see him fighting 5 midgets taped together in a Japanese promotion at some point in the future

Whatever happens I doubt he would ever degrade himself by claiming that the only reason he was beaten was because his opponent hid horse shoes in his gloves

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/782305/deontay-wilder-tyson-fury-cheating-video/

Grew up as the biggest boxing fan and have been lucky enough to attend some of the best fights in my lifetime. 2 Collins eubank fights., calzghe at his best, few tyson at his worst and the best sporting day ever when I watched Ireland win the grand slam against Wales in slatterys Capel Street and then to the point to see Bernard dunne become World champion.

But ufc is whipping boxing for talent and entertainment. The wilder accusation of fury cheating is what it comes too.

The respect at the end of last fight is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,703 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Podge2k7 wrote:
    Really didn't enjoy Bispings commentary tonight.

My favourite commentary team is him and DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I hope that's the last we see of Silva fighting. One of the GOATs. Maybe the best to do it on his day but couldn't do it post USADA and it's kind of been like an exhibition lap for nearly 10 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was wondering about this and the fact that when a fighter wins and celebrating in the octagon, without fail their corner man will pull out a phone to stream it and take selfies of his fighter. Wouldn't be surprised if he was looking at the stats during the fight too.

But even if they don't. Be easy to have a guy in the seats, giving signs of the score.
    The guy in the seats has no way of knowing the scores.

eagle eye wrote: »
    My favourite commentary team is him and DC.

DC is appalling. Genuinely appalling.

Mellor wrote: »
    The guy in the seats has no way of knowing the scores.

I don't think anyone really knows the score. Constantly chatting with noel o keefe about how analysts have such varied scores and I am the first to admit that I have no clue how clinhex etc impact it. I was more thinking about live feeds from Vegas odds which are probably the most accurate idea of the score. Not that it could impact the corner.

I was more thinking about live feeds from Vegas odds which are probably the most accurate idea of the score. Not that it could impact the corner.

Vegas oddsmakers have no more info than the cornermen at ringside. If a guy is clearly winning, the corner know. If it’s a close fight, their opinion is as accurate as anyones. Vegas, ESPN

Sometimes judges decisions have no bearing on anything at all in the fight.

Ref didn’t notice the glove grab.

https://m.imgur.com/rAYrJ1X

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Ref didn’t notice the glove grab.

https://m.imgur.com/rAYrJ1X

That'll never be changed to an NC but it absolutely should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Never seen anything like that before. Forearm choke, apparently. Not sure Herb Dean was aware of it either judging by how long it took him to realise.

Glover is unreal, looked done after a minute and wins the round.

Unbelievable from Glover, looked done early in the first but came back and won the round and the second.
    Then gets badly caught in the third and takes serious punishment but turns it around and gets the sub.
    No.1 contender now at 41 years of age. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

One of the strangest fights ive ever seen. Glover dominated nearly every second of the first 3 rounds, then out out of nowhere Santos dropped him, got a bit of ground and pound, gave up position and got summited all within about 20 seconds.

Hard to think he argubley beat Jones. Same with Reyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Looking forward to seeing more of Romanov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It's an early start tonight. The main card kicks off at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Whelo79 wrote: »
    It's an early start tonight. The main card kicks off at midnight.

Lovley. Strange that it's early in Vegas

cracker of a main card, anders fight is off but the last three on
    the card look like wars especially al hassan v williams and allen v strickland

can't imagine strickland will have the comfort of trash talking to Allen during this fight either, he'll have his hands full

would love to see Felder come back with a win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Rhys McKee is up second on the prelims. I hope he has a better outting than in his debut.

Advertisement