Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night Events Thread - Spoilers Within

Options
1484950515254»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Unlucky for him but the takedowns hurt Strickland and he should have opened up a little more at certain points. Good fight either way. Lots of options for the division now.

I had it 48-47 to Du Plessis.

I had Strickland winning the first and last round and DDP winning the middle rounds.

Strickland was the more efficient striker but Du Plessis pushed the pace and got some takedowns (albeit did nothing with them).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jesus. Gone be the days of a multi-page specific event thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya it was garbage. Very rare a full main card can be stacked anymore mind you. Never mind including the prelims in that!

• Advertisement

Speaking of bad, how bad is that women's bantamweight division?

2024 and Raquel Pennington is the champion...

I was looking at the current rankings and there's **** all there. If I was one of the 125ers I'd be jumping up and grabbing a belt. The loser of Grasso vs. Shevchenko rematch should jump up. I was gonna say Erin Blanchfield should forget about 125 and jump up and call Pennington out but I see she has tasty looking fight against Fiorot in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The takedowns achieved absolutely nothing. He scored what, 6 or 7 of them and there might have been one strike (a very tired looking and in no way impactful knee to the thigh) as a result of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Otagepingi

I thought DDP won 2, 3 and 4.

Solid fight from both, with the SA fighter having success in mixing things up against the boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I gave the 5th to Strickland. Was a bit surprised about DDP playing to the crowd about those final two rounds as while he clearly won the 4th, I thought Strickland clearly took the 5th. Not easily, but clearly. Too many wild overhands from DDP knackered him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Yeah I thought it was a good fight and DDP just about edged it winning rounds 2-4 but would have had no complaints of Strickland got the verdict. I think the takedown probably edged it for DDP even though he did nothing with them. I think one of them he got caught with an elbow to the already swollen eye.

Didnt watch any of the rest of the card and won'tbother either.

Saw a video of Strickland earlier in the week and he was complaining about next 3 PPV cards all being much better so he'll get less PPV points. I'd say he's definitely right on that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I wouldn't have complained had Strickland got it, could have gone either way but he only has himself to blame.

He controlled the first, but he stayed at the same pace and plan then until the final half of the 5th round.

The takedowns for me were pretty worthless as nothing much was done.

DDP adjusted after the first, and in fairness to him he was always pushing forward - that plan should seem familiar to Strickland.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Otagepingi

I only got up at 5 am. Saw the Women's title fight - which wasn't a bad little scrap; experience won it for Pennington - but not too bothered about having missed the rest of the card. Not a great card on paper; the Main Event put a gloss on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭barryribs

Yea I had it the same. Strickland just constantly backing up in the 2,3 & 4th rounds and never took any risks. His ability to check and parry strikes is amazing but with the volume he was seeing it was only a matter of time before he got hit.

Overall an uneventful card, Magny wins another fight he has no business winning and how Cachoerira is still in the organisation is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thought it was a very clear 3-2 to Du Plessis. I don't think there could be any dispute over any round.

How come Weili is not listed as the p4p woman? I seen she's second to Grasso., seems ridiculous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Have to say it was a shocking bad card for a PPV.

Overall it was fine. Some OK fights but nothing legendary.

UFC 298 looking a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

It was a dreadful card especially the "ppv" section of it.

The ladies title fight was so bland, Pennington as champ is a sad state of affairs.

Strickland for me won 3-2 but it was far from a robbery so hoping we don't get an immediate rematch. Twas a good fight but nowhere good enough to salvage the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

i thought Sean won but it was so close it could have gone either way ,

Sean needs to get himself a proper strength & fitness coach , he needs to become more dynamic , hes very 1 dimensional & can't change the flow of a fight , So if his opponent can stand and strike wit him he doesn't offer any other dangers,

On another note UFC star power is really on the slide very few exciting big names now ,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Agree bout pennington even though I wanted her to win so bad beforehand it felt like an anti climax

it doesn’t say much about that division other than how weak it is if these two are fighting for a belt

They could probably put on Gaethje v Chandler 2 and it would sell way more than almost all of the actual champs fighting.

It's a shame Chandler came to the UFC so late, that guy might not be the smartest fighter going but he has never failed to put on a spectacular show.

UFC300 does look pretty amazing though.

The main card tonight looks like it could be good. Another softball for McCann on the undercard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭jj880

What are people's opinions on McCann's armbar finish last night?

Wouldn't be a big UFC fan but happened to watch it last night flicking through when I saw there was an Irish fighter. Maybe its normal but that kind of finish is not nice to see at all. It looks like she just broke her opponents arm inside seconds. Isnt there usually some pressure applied and the opponent taps? If UFC is looking to attract casuals like myself that kind of finish just looks barbaric. The missus nearly threw up when she saw it.

Training vs competing. In competition take the arm/neck/leg home with you, especially when it was presented on a plate and gift wrapped like it was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭jj880

Fair enough. First time Ive seen an armbar break within seconds and no time to tap. Not gona lie the fact that it was a womens fight didn't help either. Maybe I need to get with the times. I found the commentators attitude pretty brutal also. "Oh yeah that arm popped for sure" like it was no biggie and they didnt want to hurt the product. Next time Im flicking through and see women's UFC I'll just flick on.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Giving somebody time to taP is giving them time to escape. It’s unusual for an arm to break that quickly, especially in women’s mma. She had a lot of notice that the armbar was coming, and just defended poorly.

Alright FN card. Most of the fights were fun to watch.

Great to see OSP get the win, Tai Tuivasa clearly just has nothing for the higher levels of the division. He's like a worse version of Derek Lewis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Shame, but that has to be the last chance for McKee unfortunately in the UFC, nice win for Loughnane though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Quality of the fight night cards is gone to the dogs

I used watch them and the prelims but boring now

The sooner they change that ESPN contract the better. Some of the fighters on these apex cards would be more at home in streetbeefs

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jts not just the fight nights, the PPVs aren't any good most of the time either.

UFC 300 isn't attractive to me. Light heavyweight is a weak division and I've no interest in who wins in that division unless we get a great one coming through. Xiaonon will be easily beaten by Weili. Does anybody really think Holloway has a hope at lightweight, if it was a catchweight maybe and that stupid belt makes it even less attractive. Bo Nickal will finish his fight inside two minutes.

Tsarukyan v Oliveira is the only fight that interests me. I'm not staying up for one fight.

And it's not just this one, 297 and 298 were worse if anything.

A lot of the PPVs are what you'd expect on fight nights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement