Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

rubick wrote: »
    edwardwoodwardinTheWickerMan.jpeg

ewarwoowar - never forget!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Every word of this sentence made me level up - I'm now a 11th Level Picnic Wizard. Thanks for this, I will only use my powers as a force for good.

Ever since I was a young boy, I played that Stradbally Ball;
    From Punchestown to Slane, I must've played them all;
    But I ain't seen nothing like him, in any festival bands;
    That LCD Soundsystem kid, sure drank some warm dutch cans.

[chorus]He's a Picnic Wizard / there has to be a twist / a Picnic Wizard / S'got good and mauldy pissed[/chorus]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Nobody took me up on my generous offer of a free David Keenan ticket. Your loss, losers. Great gig in the Olympia tonight, triumphant in fact. Album out yesterday and it's a fine record. He's still ridiculously dramatic but I think he's the best songwriter in the country at the moment. Seemed quite emotional to be standing in front of a sold out Olympia. Well deserved, he's been battering away for a few years now, nice to see him reaping rewards. An EP regular. Always good to see the kids prosper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭blackwhite

King Kong Company appears to have self-announced for EP on their Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Talk about making an absolute balls of the ticketing! A friend of mine had already sold hers on as she can't go. What a pain to try to sort that out.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,152 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Did absolutely everyone get that letter from ticketmaster to return tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

blackwhite wrote: »
    I thought they had sworn off it due to body and soul pulling out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I didn't, but I purchased mine at a ticketmaster outlet paid in full on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

not us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭rubick

blackwhite wrote: »

Is it not just a picture from last year's Picnic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Nobody took me up on my generous offer of a free David Keenan ticket. Your loss, losers. Great gig in the Olympia tonight, triumphant in fact. Album out yesterday and it's a fine record. He's still ridiculously dramatic but I think he's the best songwriter in the country at the moment. Seemed quite emotional to be standing in front of a sold out Olympia. Well deserved, he's been battering away for a few years now, nice to see him reaping rewards. An EP regular. Always good to see the kids prosper.

1st saw him on the Oxjam stage (and another stage that weekend) at EP 3 years ago, and have really liked his stuff since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Aw sheet, I never saw it. Would probably have gone, find him a bit OTT with the get-up and all but there's undeniable talent there and he played a fine gig in OV a couple years ago.

Can't get enough of the Squarehead album at the moment, surely a cert for made by music this year?

patch wrote: »
    I thought they had sworn off it due to body and soul pulling out...

They added an "event" to their facebook page this morning - EP2020 hosted by KKC and Electric Picnic. Seems to have been removed again now

EDITED to add screenshot from this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

I didn't get a letter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Chatted to him today in Galway. He did an in-store gig for the new album and was raving about the Olympia gig. I asked how he managed to do 2.5 hours without covers, he said he has two more albums of material ready.

He is indeed a bit overwrought but he's a sweet kid and was very friendly to my three-year-old. Here's hoping this is the start of a major recording career for him.

That big arty moving statue thing from two years ago would make a fine techno wickerman in which to incinerate the pair of them.

Or bring back that Pagoda from Burning Man. 2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

The Libertines just announced a show the weekend of EP, they'd be a good shout for Electric Arena headliner, I think.

Kepler21 wrote: »
    I didn't get a letter

Didn't get any duplicates, and no letter either

Anyone spot that Billie Eilish is doing the Bond theme? Makes it an even bigger coup for EP 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Tago Mago

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Normally Coachella is the indicator of who's touring and gives a refreshed seeding etc, but other than RATM theres not a whole pile I'd like to see at EP.

I'd be very happy with RATM, Run the Jewels (too soon?), slowthai, Flume, Thom Yorke, Caribou, IDLES, FKA Twigs, and either one of our own Fontaines or Murder Capital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭dav09

Tago Mago wrote: »
    I'd be very happy with RATM, Run the Jewels (too soon?), slowthai, Flume, Thom Yorke, Caribou, IDLES, FKA Twigs, and either one of our own Fontaines or Murder Capital.

Agreed, all of these would be fantastic for EP2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭rubick

ARCADE FIRE WATCH
    Not to put 2+2 together to make 2020 but Arcade Fire are playing in New Orleans on 14th February.
    New Orleans famously twinned with Stradbally of course.
    I've had Funeral on for the commute this past week and a half - here is your periodical reminder that the Wake Up/Haiti/Rebellion (Lies) passage on that album remains World Class tuneage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

ARCADE FIRE WATCH
    Not to put 2+2 together to make 2020 but Arcade Fire are playing in New Orleans on 14th February.
    I've had Funeral on for the commute this past week and a half - here is your periodical reminder that the Wake Up/Haiti/Rebellion (Lies) passage on that album remains World Class tuneage.

Arcade Fire are a band that never get skipped on 'shuffle'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Anyone spot that Billie Eilish is doing the Bond theme? Makes it an even bigger coup for EP 2019.

playing pretty much everywhere in europe bar ireland next summer, very very slim chance in all truth but also wouldn't be completely surprised if she was a headliner again this year

ARCADE FIRE WATCH

The whole album. And the whole second album too. Rare to see a band decline so steadily album by album.

Probably still superb live though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The whole album. And the whole second album too. Rare to see a band decline so steadily album by album.

They were excellent at Primavera Sound about 2/3 years ago, when they premiered 'Everything Now'. Also caught them at the 3Arena 'in the round' later that year and was very good again.

But, yeah, it really is a case of diminishing returns. Each album less interesting than the last.

That said, I would still go out of my way to see them at a festival: there's enough good stuff in the set that you'd get over the odd dud from 'Everything Now' or 'Reflektor'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I got the letter from Ticketmaster and also received three sets of tickets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Suburbs is better than Neon Bible though. An awful lot of people think it's their very best.

Everything Now is a bloody fantastic song, but yeah, the album is down on their best, and when they were touring Reflector they just seemed to be a bit grumpy.

The excitement around them when they first emerged though has never quite existed since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Weepsie wrote: »
    Suburbs is better than Neon Bible though. An awful lot of people think it's their very best.

Everything Now is a bloody fantastic song, but yeah, the album is down on their best, and when they were touring Reflector they just seemed to be a bit grumpy.

The excitement around them when they first emerged though has never quite existed since

I'd have Neon Bible over Suburbs, myself.

Suburbs has some of their very best tracks - Suburbs, Ready to Start, Modern Man, Rococo, Sprawl II - but some absolute dirge too - Month of May has to be their worst track IMO.

It's too long, too. Cut out 5 or 6 songs on the Suburbs and it could be a tight, 10-12 track bit of brilliance. As it is, it drags in the middle before a late recovery.

I would drop any track off Neon Bible.

But that's the joys of a band like Arcade Fire. They have such a diverse range of music that everyone has different favourites, highlights, etc.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »

The Suburbs is too rambling for me though I rate it as an album. I think it's when they first started to lose quality control. Both that and Reflektor would be masterpieces if whittled down to 10/11 tracks. Just personal taste, for me the first two are head and shoulders above the other three.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement