Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Tame Impala
    Caribou
    Glass Animals
    Rolling Blackout Coastal Fever

Some announcement from All Points East, and that is just for one day! Kraftwerk strongly rumoured to be headlining one of the other days too.

Prevailing rumours seem to be Tame Impala (check!), Kraftwerk, Arcade Fire and Lana del Ray for four of the six days.

The line-ups have been typically very good in the two years. I wouldn't be a fan of Bring Me the Horizon, for e.g., but they really cater the bills quite well as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭rubick

I'll set up an Arcade Fire klaxon.
    Never too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Prevailing rumours seem to be Tame Impala (check!), Kraftwerk, Arcade Fire and Lana del Ray for four of the six days.

The line-ups have been typically very good in the two years. I wouldn't be a fan of Bring Me the Horizon, for e.g., but they really cater the bills quite well as far as I can see.

Thought it was astonishing in 2018 but much weaker this year. Still had some great stuff but Mumfords, Bring Me The Horizon and Christine & the Queens headlining three of the six days wouldn't do it for me. Overall though the best of their acts each year would make for an incredible Picnic.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Thought it was astonishing in 2018 but much weaker this year. Still had some great stuff but Mumfords, Bring Me The Horizon and Christine & the Queens headlining three of the six days wouldn't do it for me. Overall though the best of their acts each year would make for an incredible Picnic.

Agreed on 2/3 - forgot about Mumfords tbh but BMTH wouldn't be my bag either.

Christine & the Queens wasn't the best headline act (though I do like them), but the rest of the bill was top notch, I thought: James Blake, Metronomy, Maribou State, Kamasi Washington, Beach House, Kurt Vile, Toro Y Moi, Yves Tumor, Octo Octa and our very own Kojaque.

I mean, if that was offering from a full three-day festival, I wouldn't be too put out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'd expect a pretty decent amount of APE acts will play primavera sound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I went over in 2018, it is a good festival and got a great lineup but a city festival that finishes at midnight or 11.00pm is never going to compare to a camping festival like EP or ATN. The lineup was great value for money though I thought and I would go back again if the lineup appealed to me, which most of those rumours do!!

Agreed on 2/3 - forgot about Mumfords tbh but BMTH wouldn't be my bag either.

Christine & the Queens wasn't the best headline act (though I do like them), but the rest of the bill was top notch, I thought: James Blake, Metronomy, Maribou State, Kamasi Washington, Beach House, Kurt Vile, Toro Y Moi, Yves Tumor, Octo Octa and our very own Kojaque.

I mean, if that was offering from a full three-day festival, I wouldn't be too put out!

Plenty of great stuff there indeed. Got to see Kamasi Washington sometime, can think of little better for an outdoor sunny early evening or late evening tent. EP missed a trick not getting him & Thundercat to join Kendrick Lamar in 2018.

https://entertainment.ie/amp/music/10-best-irish-albums-2010s-430372/?fbclid=IwAR2f6boXXhU7MeMrlYYTEsJ26dqVCpe7ZGOzEVDS2BtL6GWIQs4YX5Ps7o0&__twitter_impression=true

Entertainment.ie have a list of the Best Irish albums of the decade. I don't put too much stock in such lists but curious to know what people on here would have on their list for the last ten years? Hopefully I'll discover something new!

Mine would have several by Jape and Villagers but topped by Girl Band and Rusangano Family.

Solar Bears: She Was Coloured In (2010) was a real favourite for a few years too.

https://entertainment.ie/amp/music/10-best-irish-albums-2010s-430372/?fbclid=IwAR2f6boXXhU7MeMrlYYTEsJ26dqVCpe7ZGOzEVDS2BtL6GWIQs4YX5Ps7o0&__twitter_impression=true

Entertainment.ie have a list of the Best Irish albums of the decade. I don't put too much stock in such lists but curious to know what people on here would have on their list for the last ten years? Hopefully I'll discover something new!

Mine would have several by Jape and Villagers but topped by Girl Band and Rusangano Family.

Solar Bears: She Was Coloured In (2010) was a real favourite for a few years too.

I'm surprised that, given their success, the Fontaines DC didn't get mentioned. A couple that were under the radar were:

Seamus Fogarty - The Curious Hand
    Brigid Mae Power - The Two Worlds

I also think U2's Songs of Innocence was excellent though the album wasn't given a chance by most critics. Rolling Stone gave it album of the year though and The Troubles (with Lykke Li) is amongst their greatest tracks.

No reason for My Bloody Valentine's mbv not to be included. Great album. It ain't Loveless, but then what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Elephant 88
    A Lazarus soul the D...
    new jackson from night to night
    Malojian (if NI allowed) let your weirdness
    Windings Be honest and fear not
    Just Mustard Wednesday
    Murder capital when I have fears
    Engine Alley showroom
    O emperor jason
    James Vincent mcmorrow we move

Bit too heavy from recent years but all these lists tend to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

More omissions

Jape - Ocean of Frequency
    Fionn Regan - All of his from this decade
    Declan O Rourke - Chronicles of the great Irish famine (my Favorite Irish album for a long time)
    Roisín Murphy - Hairless Toys
    Sinead O Connor - I'm not bossy i'm the boss
    Lisa Hannigan - At swim

More omissions

Jape - Ocean of Frequency
    Fionn Regan - All of his from this decade
    Declan O Rourke - Chronicles of the great Irish famine (my Favorite Irish album for a long time)
    Roisín Murphy - Hairless Toys
    Sinead O Connor - I'm not bossy i'm the boss
    Lisa Hannigan - At swim

This is a bit more my tempo I think.

Jape has had three excellent albums this decade and probably still slightly floats below the radar for some.

Also excellent live so fingers crossed for a tour on the new album.

Plenty of great stuff there indeed. Got to see Kamasi Washington sometime, can think of little better for an outdoor sunny early evening or late evening tent. EP missed a trick not getting him & Thundercat to join Kendrick Lamar in 2018.

If he brings his show back to The Olympia (as he said he would last time he was here) don't miss it! Agreed on a Main Stage afternoon or Cosby late set - perfect fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Just Mustard - Wednesday
    Gemma Hayes - Bones and Longing
    The Butterfly Explosion - Lost Trails
    Ham Sandwich - White Fox
    The Cast of Cheers - Chariot
    And So I Watch You From Afar – All Hail Bright Futures
    I Am The Cosmos – Monochrome
    Delorentos - Little Sparks
    Solar Bears - Supermigration
    Sh1t Robot - We Got A Love
    Le Galaxie - Le Club
    All Tvvins – llVV
    Ships – Precession
    Bicep - Bicep
    David Kitt - Yous

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Paddy2012

I guess Syro by Aphex Twin should be there somewhere too.

Haim playing Trinity on 30 June so that's likely them out of the EP running. Can't say that I'm too fussed.

The mighty Beak> just announced for the Button Factory this coming February, will keep an eye on the schedule for 2020. They'd give the Body & Soul stage a decent workout.

Staying with great Bristol noise, Giant Swan are in Dublin this day week, just saw the listing yesterday. Could be tempted to stay on another night after Bjork next Thursday.

This is all the relevant Bristol-based music news I have at present - more updates as they occur.

rubick wrote: »
    The mighty Beak> just announced for the Button Factory this coming February, will keep an eye on the schedule for 2020. They'd give the Body & Soul stage a decent workout.

Staying with great Bristol noise, Giant Swan are in Dublin this day week, just saw the listing yesterday. Could be tempted to stay on another night after Bjork next Thursday.

This is all the relevant Bristol-based music news I have at present - more updates as they occur.

Love 'em. Seen them a couple of times at festivals and also met Barrow before a Portishead gig at ATP. Friendly guy. They'd be perfect in that Lamb slot on the B&S stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Foo Fighters doing a few European festivals in June, and rumours of a wider European tour over the summer as well.

Would make for quite a big late night crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Haim playing Trinity on 30 June so that's likely them out of the EP running. Can't say that I'm too fussed.

With you not a fan at all. Cant see why the hype around them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

But but but but but .... baaaaaaaaaaass face..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Mucker46

But but but but but .... baaaaaaaaaaass face..........

True right up there with the best of them.

Was at Girl Band in Vicar Street last night.

What a band, what a show. Would be shocked if they're not at the summer festivals next year.

Their EP shows in ~2014/15 on the Salty Dog and another tent (I'm getting old here) are still among my absolute highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

same weekend as EP:

bingley-weekender-wide.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Would happily take, Primal Scream and Peter hook, would probably have a look at The Libertines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Crowded house reforming next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Poorside wrote: »
    Would happily take, Primal Scream and Peter hook, would probably have a look at The Libertines.

watched a bit of the Libs live at reading.

They weren't on form.

But maybe that's what they're like, playing detuned, not on time and off key.

Were they ever a tight band?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

No time for Pete Doherty at all, just cannot take him seriously.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

watched a bit of the Libs live at reading.

They weren't on form.

But maybe that's what they're like, playing detuned, not on time and off key.

Were they ever a tight band?

They were always a little shambolic, but great live. What I caught on TV from Reading and Glastonbury in 2015 looked great. Personally I'd love them at EP and think they'd draw a big crowd. Subheadliner status these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

same weekend as EP:

bingley-weekender-wide.jpg

Primal Scream, Peter Hook, and The Wedding Present please!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement