Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I wouldn't be swayed on the basis of Iggy alone either but having done both festivals, there is varying degrees of hassle at both.

The traffic wasn't an issue for me as we were early arriving on Friday and leaving on Monday, and beyond that, there was just minor things. Irritants for sure- clean toilets and empty bins should be a no-brainer - but I can handle that a lot easier than handling an absolute horde of people like at EP.

This isn't a comment on who is attending, just the sheer scale of it. ATN was nice and managable in comparison.

Every festival has its hassles; just depends on which are bigger deals for everyone personally I guess!

same here, had no traffic hassles as we came at the site from the south, breezed in at 2pm, and I never had any issues with toilets, all I went into were clean and well....urinals are urinals!

I find EP far more hard work to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Free flow policy should not be understated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Free flow policy should not be understated

Oh man the freeflow.

I had nearly forgotten it! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Iggy Pop is the first headliner for ATN. That's one to chalk off for EP anyway!

Bastards, absolute bastards...

We’d best get Elvis, Bowie, Prince and Johnny Cash

Bastards, absolute bastards...

We’d best get Elvis, Bowie, Prince and Johnny Cash

The Electric Ireland Hologram Tent would be rammed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭rubick

The Electric Ireland Hologram Tent would be rammed.

The Electric Ireland Hologram Tent would need to plug in to nuclear auxiliary to keep 'er lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I wouldn't be swayed on the basis of Iggy alone either but having done both festivals, there is varying degrees of hassle at both.

The traffic wasn't an issue for me as we were early arriving on Friday and leaving on Monday, and beyond that, there was just minor things. Irritants for sure- clean toilets and empty bins should be a no-brainer - but I can handle that a lot easier than handling an absolute horde of people like at EP.

This isn't a comment on who is attending, just the sheer scale of it. ATN was nice and managable in comparison.

Every festival has its hassles; just depends on which are bigger deals for everyone personally I guess!

Yep, the feedback I got from friends and family who attended this year was very good. It helped that they were in very early so avoided the traffic. A pal from Galway took eight hours to get into the ATN car park. That I couldn't endure, particularly as the drive from Galway to Stradbally took me 2.5 hours. Thus, not for me yet, let's see how things work out and settle in the next 2/3 years. Then I'll probably take my kids, something I wouldn't do at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'm not going to revisit my ATN experience, but I'm glad some folk enjoyed the good bits more than the bad. My top three good bits were Free Flow, Patti Smith, and Hop Chip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Stillill42

endainoz wrote: »
    I'm not going to revisit my ATN experience, but I'm glad some folk enjoyed the good bits more than the bad. My top three good bits were Free Flow, Patti Smith, and Hop Chip!

My three good bits were the Good, the Bad and the Queen.

Is there something wrong with me that I find the traffickey hassle less hassley than the scramble to get tickets hassle?

There is certainly something wrong with you, Johnny. On the traffic question, I'm undecided.

• Advertisement

Fontaines are Rough Trade's Album of the Year. And they usually choose well. They'll be near the top of all the other lists too. Fair play to the lads. I didn't see that coming when I caught them at Jerry Fish two years ago nor even last year. Begs the question - what's their EP slot next year as they're near-certainties to play? Sub-headliners on the main stage or headlining the EA? They've sold out two nights at Vicar St and could likely sell out 2/3 more, as big as an Irish indie band has been for several years. Whatever their slot it'll be an event.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Fontaines are Rough Trade's Album of the Year. And they usually choose well. They'll be near the top of all the other lists too. Fair play to the lads. I didn't see that coming when I caught them at Jerry Fish two years ago nor even last year. Begs the question - what's their EP slot next year as they're near-certainties to play? Sub-headliners on the main stage or headlining the EA? They've sold out two nights at Vicar St and could likely sell out 2/3 more, as big as an Irish indie band has been for several years. Whatever their slot it'll be an event.

Only thing I'd bet on with Fontaines is that if they're there, they won't be in the first announcement or two. Playing Iveagh Gardens in July and you'd be confident they'd want to capitalise on the momentum from there for an announcement.

Have to say I wouldn't agree with Rough Trades choice - it's a good album but I could think of a dozen or more that are better, including several Irish albums - but fair play to them.

They didn't set the place alight at ATN either but I got the impression that the mood was off. Was hoping they'd add Cork to the end of year tour after they added Listowel and Monaghan but no joy. Maybe next year!

If they had a decent indie headliner (like the Strokes this year), Fontaines would be excellent before them on the main stage. If they didn't have any guitar bands on the main stage at the end of the evening, you could see them in Electric Arena second last or last.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Think they chose Shame last year and that was a good choice. Tbh Dogrel would be low enough in my top 10 Irish albums this year but good luck to them. At the end of the day they've majorly helped boost Irish (guitar) music interest on a global scale.

sweetie wrote: »
    Think they chose Shame last year and that was a good choice. Tbh Dogrel would be low enough in my top 10 Irish albums this year but good luck to them. At the end of the day they've majorly helped boost Irish (guitar) music interest on a global scale.

All true. I really like the band, and the album, but they've not reinvented the wheel and there's much better out there. Nevertheless, their success will drag loads of young Irish acts up with them. Some of whom will hopefully soon be EP and ATN headliners.

Agree with all that, lads. That process is already well underway. Lots of good young Irish guitar stuff at EP this year. A rising tide etc.

Jon Hopkins the latest for Galway Arts Fest. I'd say that rules him out of EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Jon Hopkins the latest for Galway Arts Fest. I'd say that rules him out of EP.

My lungs are still vibrating from ATN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

rubick wrote: »
    The Electric Ireland Hologram Tent would need to plug in to nuclear auxiliary to keep 'er lit.

This would be an interesting take on the old ESB advert,

Electricity brings living to life

hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Davysulls86

Chemical Brothers playing Irish Independent Park. That would rule them out of Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Chemical Brothers playing Irish Independent Park. That would rule them out of Stradbally.

Would it? Only Cork, so far no Dub date.

• Advertisement

Fatfrog wrote: »

Would be unusual for many acts to play large outdoor gigs in the middle of the summer and then follow it with a festival show just two months later.

I dunno would it rule them out entirely but I'd definitely put the Chems as more unlikely than likely now.

Good booking for Cork - might be my first trip if it doesn't sell out right away. Have to hold off booking anything for a while yet but if it's still on sale next year (I think only one or two sold out right away last year) I'll jump, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Would be unusual for many acts to play large outdoor gigs in the middle of the summer and then follow it with a festival show just two months later.

I dunno would it rule them out entirely but I'd definitely put the Chems as more unlikely than likely now.

Good booking for Cork - might be my first trip if it doesn't sell out right away. Have to hold off booking anything for a while yet but if it's still on sale next year (I think only one or two sold out right away last year) I'll jump, I think.

I don’t know what to do with this one! I live ten mins from it, but bon iver is on the following weekend, and it’s a Tuesday

God I hate trying to adult

Oh bons the month before.....

If it was the week before you may have a point, but it'd be unusual to play a big headline gig and come back to play a festival slot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

If it was the week before you may have a point, but it'd be unusual to play a big headline gig and come back to play a festival slot

If it was a huge act from far shores with a gapless world tour + new material you may have a point.
    The earlier post was the Cork gig rules them out of the EP, I would suggest we'd need to see something in Dub to rule them out completely. They dont tour that intensively and they're a short hop across the Irish sea always an outside chance...

If it was a huge act from far shores with a gapless world tour + new material you may have a point.
    The earlier post was the Cork gig rules them out of the EP, I would suggest we'd need to see something in Dub to rule them out completely. They dont tour that intensively and they're a short hop across the Irish sea always an outside chance...
    They don't tour that intensively, so why play multiple gigs in a market as small as Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

Tame Impala announced for APE

Think they are nailed on for picnic next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭rubick

maximoose wrote: »

Caribou as well!

There's a fair few of this parish (myself included) that thought Tame Impala were a cert for this year's Stradbally Fest. The Impala crowd are attaining great renown as Picnic Dodgers.

I'd have said they were a dead cert for Electric Picnic alright but I wonder is this a hint that they'll be touring Europe earlier in the summer?

Nothing rules them out, of course - the Strokes and Christine and the Queens did both APE and EP last year, as did plenty of the support acts from their APE gigs - but could they be an option for Malahide or some other outdoor slot earlier in the summer, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

Ibut could they be an option for Malahide or some other outdoor slot earlier in the summer, maybe?

I bloody hope so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Tame Impala
    Caribou
    Glass Animals
    Rolling Blackout Coastal Fever

Some announcement from All Points East, and that is just for one day! Kraftwerk strongly rumoured to be headlining one of the other days too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement