Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

Never had much time for Pete Doherty, awful gobs**te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    They were always a little shambolic, but great live. What I caught on TV from Reading and Glastonbury in 2015 looked great. Personally I'd love them at EP and think they'd draw a big crowd. Subheadliner status these days?

Would the Libertines still have the draw of a sub headliner? Liked them back in the day but always felt their popularity in outlets like NME was never quite matched elsewhere. At least not outside the UK.

Last played Ireland in 2015 - maybe that would add to the appeal?

They're not a band on my 'must see' list anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭rubick

Absolutely no time for The Libertines. Landfill. Wittering on in an interview abut inventing house parties. Nah mate.

I'm in for the Scream/Peter Hook combo - in fact I'll go large.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Would the Libertines still have the draw of a sub headliner? Liked them back in the day but always felt their popularity in outlets like NME was never quite matched elsewhere. At least not outside the UK.

Last played Ireland in 2015 - maybe that would add to the appeal?

They're not a band on my 'must see' list anyway!

They've headlined Reading /Leeds and sub-headlined Glastonbury. They'd definitely pull a crowd still. I agree about Doherty being a pillock but they've got great energy live, a fair few tunes and the last album was very good.

Flaming Lips doing Galway Arts Fest. Another probably off the EP list.

• Advertisement

They've headlined Reading /Leeds and sub-headlined Glastonbury. They'd definitely pull a crowd still. I agree about Doherty being a pillock but they've got great energy live, a fair few tunes and the last album was very good.

When were those shows? I'm very out of the loop on them.

I have a total blindspot for a lot of mid-'00s indie. Can't fathom how some of it is still popular - the Kooks getting reasonable slots at festivals nowadays, for e.g!

I could definitely put together a strong 15 track setlist for the Libertines; just not totally sure I'd have the interest in actually checking it out.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

When were those shows? I'm very out of the loop on them.

I have a total blindspot for a lot of mid-'00s indie. Can't fathom how some of it is still popular - the Kooks getting reasonable slots at festivals nowadays, for e.g!

I could definitely put together a strong 15 track setlist for the Libertines; just not totally sure I'd have the interest in actually checking it out.

Think Glastonbury was 2015 as they were brought in after Foo's cancelled and Florence were bumped up to headliners and i think they headlined R&L the same year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭patch

Flaming Lips doing Galway Arts Fest. Another probably off the EP list.
    Great act but I'm a little disappointed that 2020 doesn't have a couple of bigger acts.
    Flaming lips played the same venue a couple of years ago and Jon Hopkins is a little light for my tastes and not especially mainstream.
    Maybe I was spoiled by seeing Orbital there this year...

patch wrote: »
    Great act but I'm a little disappointed that 2020 doesn't have a couple of bigger acts.
    Flaming lips played the same venue a couple of years ago and Jon Hopkins is a little light for my tastes and not especially mainstream.
    Maybe I was spoiled by seeing Orbital there this year...

The Lips were sensational in 2018, and will be again. Hopkins is impressive live and I'd expect a pretty atmospheric evening. Pixies already sold out but another goodie. I've been told by a promoter that Sinead O'Connor is booked and I'd also expect the Fontaines to be announced after Iveagh Gardens sells out.

There'll also be another 7/8 acts at the Big Top and a couple of dozen at the Roisin, Monroes, etc.

You may still get spoiled.

The Lips were sensational in 2018, and will be again. Hopkins is impressive live and I'd expect a pretty atmospheric evening. Pixies already sold out but another goodie. I've been told by a promoter that Sinead O'Connor is booked and I'd also expect the Fontaines to be announced after Iveagh Gardens sells out.

There'll also be another 7/8 acts at the Big Top and a couple of dozen at the Roisin, Monroes, etc.

I'd be so pissed if I was Galway-based and had bought a ticket for a Dublin show only for a Galway one to be announced right after!!

By all accounts, that Fontaines show is basically sold out already so shouldn't be long to wait.

They were also named BBC 6 Music's album of the year today. I hadn't heard most of what was on the list -

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds; Ghosteen
    The Specials; Encore
    Brittany Howard; Jaime
    Kate Tempest; The Book of Traps and Lessons
    Warmduscher; Tainted Lunch
    Little Simz; GREY Area
    The Comet Is Coming; Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery
    Michael Kiwanuka; KIWANUKA
    Sleaford Mods; Eton Alive

Nick Cave and Brittany Howard are excellent albums. The rest are new to me. Must check them out. I've never gotten the fuss with Sleaford Mods or Kate Tempest, though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

Loving the sounds of Fontaines in Galway!

endainoz wrote: »
    Loving the sounds of Fontaines in Galway!

It's all guesswork but Iveagh Gardens and Galway Arts Fest shared a few acts last year. The Big Top promoter is the Róisín Dubh which has had the Fontaines a couple of times. They have a lot of Irish acts at the fest, usually a third of the headliners, so I'd be very surprised if they're not playing.

I'd be so pissed if I was Galway-based and had bought a ticket for a Dublin show only for a Galway one to be announced right after!!

By all accounts, that Fontaines show is basically sold out already so shouldn't be long to wait.

They were also named BBC 6 Music's album of the year today. I hadn't heard most of what was on the list -

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds; Ghosteen
    The Specials; Encore
    Brittany Howard; Jaime
    Kate Tempest; The Book of Traps and Lessons
    Warmduscher; Tainted Lunch
    Little Simz; GREY Area
    The Comet Is Coming; Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery
    Michael Kiwanuka; KIWANUKA
    Sleaford Mods; Eton Alive

Nick Cave and Brittany Howard are excellent albums. The rest are new to me. Must check them out. I've never gotten the fuss with Sleaford Mods or Kate Tempest, though!

Another great album from him. Little Simz has got a few nice tunes and The Specials album is far better than I'd expected. Never heard of Warmduscher and I listen to BBC6 every day. Not enough to Marc Riley though, sounds like his type of band.

I'd rate at least two of the albums higher than the Fontaines but delighted for them to be doing so well. Hope they have a rest from gigging before they burn out. Though not before they play Galway again!

Another great album from him. Little Simz has got a few nice tunes and The Specials album is far better than I'd expected. Never heard of Warmduscher and I listen to BBC6 every day. Not enough to Marc Riley though, sounds like his type of band.

I'd rate at least two of the albums higher than the Fontaines but delighted for them to be doing so well. Hope they have a rest from gigging before they burn out. Though not before they play Galway again!

If their All Together Now set is anything to go by, that ship has sailed. :eek:

Do the individual DJs post their lists? Mary Anne Hobbs said that her number one album didn't even make the top ten so would be interested to see what else is on there.

I don't have a definitive order for my favourites, but this is what I've listened to most this year...

Thom Yorke; Anima
    Vampire Weekend; Father of the Bride
    The National; I am Easy to Find
    Bon Iver; i,i
    James Blake; Assume Form
    Deerhunter; Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?
    Sharon Van Etten; Remind Me Tomorrow
    Hot Chip; A Bath Full of Ecstasy
    Julia Jacklin; Crushing
    Nilüfer Yanya; Miss Universe

Obviously longevity is a factor here for the likes of James Blake and Sharon Van Etten vs more recent releases like Girl Band and Whitney but it looks accurate to me!

Edit: I'm also missing Wilco, Nick Cave and Angel Olsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

The rage against the machine poster with tour dates showing them play Dublin July 4th is apparently fake, so still in the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Ah well sure we might as well wait for the FNM announcement then!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Warmduscher are affiliated with Fat White family I think.
    I liked the little simz album too and need to go back to some of the others...

My top 10/20

1 Durand Jones & the indications
    2 Alduous Harding
    3 Nick cave
    4 A Lazarus soul
    5 murder capital
    6 Sharon van Etten
    7 Wilco
    8 purple mountains
    9 better Oblivion community center
    10 Nilufer yanya

Bubbling under; Lizzo, flying lotus, fka twigs, Squarehead, Danny brown, Julia Jacklin, tandem Felix, late David Turpin, careerist, Robert Forster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Stillill42

sweetie wrote: »

My top 10/20

2 Alduous Harding
    3 Nick cave
    4 A Lazarus soul
    5 murder capital
    6 Sharon van Etten
    7 Wilco
    8 purple mountains
    10 Nilufer yanya

Bubbling under; Lizzo, flying lotus, fka twigs, Squarehead, Danny brown, Julia Jacklin, tandem Felix, late David Turpin, careerist, Robert Forster

Ooh, some nice stuff there, Sweetie.

My top 10/20

2 Alduous Harding
    3 Nick cave
    4 A Lazarus soul
    5 murder capital
    6 Sharon van Etten
    7 Wilco
    8 purple mountains
    10 Nilufer yanya

A nice list, and much to check out. NY was excellent on Jools.

Keep the lists coming.

My top 10/20

2 Alduous Harding
    3 Nick cave
    4 A Lazarus soul
    5 murder capital
    6 Sharon van Etten
    7 Wilco
    8 purple mountains
    10 Nilufer yanya

Busy day for me tomorrow checking out a few of these!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

If their All Together Now set is anything to go by, that ship has sailed. :eek:

Do the individual DJs post their lists? Mary Anne Hobbs said that her number one album didn't even make the top ten so would be interested to see what else is on there.

I don't have a definitive order for my favourites, but this is what I've listened to most this year...

Thom Yorke; Anima
    Vampire Weekend; Father of the Bride
    The National; I am Easy to Find
    Bon Iver; i,i
    James Blake; Assume Form
    Deerhunter; Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?
    Sharon Van Etten; Remind Me Tomorrow
    Hot Chip; A Bath Full of Ecstasy
    Julia Jacklin; Crushing
    Nilüfer Yanya; Miss Universe

Obviously longevity is a factor here for the likes of James Blake and Sharon Van Etten vs more recent releases like Girl Band and Whitney but it looks accurate to me!

Edit: I'm also missing Wilco, Nick Cave and Angel Olsen.

nice list, I just can't get Thom Yorke though. Love Radiohead but it's a different fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭fafy

nice list, I just can't get Thom Yorke though. Love Radiohead but it's a different fish.

Agreed, it is tricky, sometimes even difficult, to get into his solo stuff, but once you eventually manage, to clamber down that rabbit hole, you’l wonder what you’ve been doing with yourself !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It looks like Oxegen is rebranded as Sunstroke 2020 and happening in 2nd weekend in June, I think MCD is behind this one too.

77266828_2404029876362466_8924829860837195776_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=oKNw2k80hfsAQn7j6jnZw0jYzY8krbcQfWvIOYpwzAY_MNamqYyY95Esg&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=535b998af4b61f50598d187a0834d35c&oe=5E8B4E18

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

It looks like Oxegen is rebranded as Sunstroke 2020 and happening in 2nd weekend in June, I think MCD is behind this one too.

77266828_2404029876362466_8924829860837195776_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=oKNw2k80hfsAQn7j6jnZw0jYzY8krbcQfWvIOYpwzAY_MNamqYyY95Esg&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=535b998af4b61f50598d187a0834d35c&oe=5E8B4E18

How can this be rebranded as the new Oxegen? Is it just because its MCD and being run in Punchestown since there the only similarities i can see:confused:

How can this be rebranded as the new Oxegen? Is it just because its MCD and being run in Punchestown since there the only similarities i can see

Punchestown would be a great venue for a big heavy rock show, the dreary grey tarmac scenery would be perfect for a gig like that. Would those acts be enough to sell it out though? I'm guessing they would have a capacity of around 40kish to start this off?

Punchestown would be a great venue for a big heavy rock show, the dreary grey tarmac scenery would be perfect for a gig like that. Would those acts be enough to sell it out though? I'm guessing they would have a capacity of around 40kish to start this off?

Agreed. There's definitely room for a more metal festival than this and that may happen in 2021. Lots of great young Irish indie bands in there (Thumper, Slyrydes, Bitch Falcon, etc), Killing Joke and the Mary Chain. Tempting, but the headliners wouldn't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

jaysus, no chance it'll be anywhere close to that. that's not far off EP levels.
    I'd be amazed if MCD are expecting anything over 15k on the day. even 10k would be good going IMO.

dunno what numbers FNM would do now, but Deftones did 2 nights in Vicar Street last year, so ~3000. TJAMC did 1 night there (1500), Gojira and Killing Joke both 1 night at the Academy (850). Everyone below that on the poster is playing similar venues.

they'd really have to diversify the lineup if they were hoping to pull in 40k. I'd imagine the audience crossover for most of the acts playing is the same.
    They'd have to go for a few acts with more mainstream appeal, but wouldn't be too out of place, like QOTSA, Prodigy, Biffy Clyro, to get in big numbers.

Hmm I guess 40k was a bit of an overestimate! Hellfest in France is on a week later and has a way more beefier lineup too. The addition of the likes of SOAD, Judas Priest and Korn wouldn't go a miss.

No sunstroke for me anyways, clashing with the Doolin folk festival!!

Hmm I guess 40k was a bit of an overestimate! Hellfest in France is on a week later and has a way more beefier lineup too. The addition of the likes of SOAD, Judas Priest and Korn wouldn't go a miss.

No sunstroke for me anyways, clashing with the Doolin folk festival!!

Got to get down to Clare for that in the next couple of years.

• Advertisement

Crowded House for the Marquee, pity would have loved to have seen them in EA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement