Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

rubick wrote: »
    Good God, Towers of Dub at Body & Soul Late Club please!

The Orb are so late night B&S, it almost has to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Hayden Thorpe tonight. Big difference in venue from last time i saw him at Olympia for Wild Beasts farewell tour. Very sedate but very enjoyable. Fantastic voice and interacted well with the crowd. Far cry from fat white family last night. Talos on friday then thats me done for the year i think. Some cracking gigs this year roll on 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭endainoz

I think we might get snow patrol, haven't played an Irish festival in a long time and are already announced for Isle of Wight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭rubick

There much of a crossover with EP/Latitude?
    If so, set your watches for Chemical Brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Hayden Thorpe tonight. Big difference in venue from last time i saw him at Olympia for Wild Beasts farewell tour. Very sedate but very enjoyable. Fantastic voice and interacted well with the crowd. Far cry from fat white family last night. Talos on friday then thats me done for the year i think. Some cracking gigs this year roll on 2020.

Glad to see the London trip is going well Mucker. Lots to see already in 2020 and get yerself down to Galway for the Arts Fest in July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

There much of a crossover with EP/Latitude?
    If so, set your watches for Chemical Brothers.

surely not again

paulieeye wrote: »
    surely not again

If playing next Sept then that's a four year gap since the last appearance. Happy to see them back but would prefer the return of Leftfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

When were Leftfield last there?

There seems to be a lack of new acts given those slots at all festivals, really. Same 5-10 names every few years. Chems, Leftfield, Kraftwerk, Orbital, Underworld, Fat Boy Slim, Prodigy (obviously not anymore). Groove Armada, Basement Jaxx and maybe Hot Chip at smaller festivals.

I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two but it seems that while plenty of aspects of the festival calendars change, the big electronic acts rarely do!!

Would be great to see some new acts given the chance but I wouldn't have the background knowledge on who would be good/big enough for it!

Not sure would someone like Jon Hopkins translate well on a huge stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

M83 would be a great shout for this list. You could throw LCD in too.

When were Leftfield last there?

There seems to be a lack of new acts given those slots at all festivals, really. Same 5-10 names every few years. Chems, Leftfield, Kraftwerk, Orbital, Underworld, Fat Boy Slim, Prodigy (obviously not anymore). Groove Armada, Basement Jaxx and maybe Hot Chip at smaller festivals.

I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two but it seems that while plenty of aspects of the festival calendars change, the big electronic acts rarely do!!

Would be great to see some new acts given the chance but I wouldn't have the background knowledge on who would be good/big enough for it!

Not sure would someone like Jon Hopkins translate well on a huge stage?

Leftfield only played once (2010), memorable for me as I got on their guest list and it's not happened since. Nor likely to.

You could add LCD Soundsystem & Caribou to the above but I'm struggling to think of suitable others who could draw a crowd. Would Aphex pull 30,000 at the main stage? Unlikely with the recent EP demographic yet he's probably too big for the EA and Terminus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

sweetie wrote: »

Are M83 ever going to tour again? Never caught them in their heyday; never expected to have to wait so long!!

James Murphy is firing up Despacio for 2020 too, it seems. London-bound in May...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Are M83 ever going to tour again? Never caught them in their heyday; never expected to have to wait so long!!

James Murphy is firing up Despacio for 2020 too, it seems. London-bound in May...

Dunno, think they brought out new music. Saw them at a Primavera (:confused:) it was epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Oh despacio please for ep!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

sweetie wrote: »

A long time wish of mine, my artist of the decade on spotify wrapped today! I would be raging if he played this year though as it is unlikely I will be there.

Despacio in 2015 was one of my greatest ever EP moments, would be great if they came back sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

M83 would be awesome,

Look at the crowd energy!!

https://youtu.be/vNEbsZ3IcH4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Leftfield only played once (2010), memorable for me as I got on their guest list and it's not happened since. Nor likely to.

You could add LCD Soundsystem & Caribou to the above but I'm struggling to think of suitable others who could draw a crowd. Would Aphex pull 30,000 at the main stage? Unlikely with the recent EP demographic yet he's probably too big for the EA and Terminus.

He'd be more suited to an Electric Arena slot, his show shines in a darkened marquee with the graphics and lasers, as much as I enjoyed the FF slots, I found it was too early in the day. He has a few hits but rarely plays them so I don't know if the main stage would be his thing although his light show lasers and sound would certainly drag in a few interested heads.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Would Aphex pull 30,000 at the main stage?

he would drive 30,000 from the main stage, fleeing into the woods screaming banshee like whilst holding their hands to their bleeding ears as the last vestiges of taste and rhythm left their bodies.

(Sorry/not sorry, he’s got a few listenable tracks and the rest is just modem handshake wankology that his cult like fans worship with out question, he’s not the messiah, he’s just tone ****ing deaf)

he would drive 30,000 from the main stage, fleeing into the woods screaming banshee like whilst holding their hands to their bleeding ears as the last vestiges of taste and rhythm left their bodies.

Sounds absolutely world class tbh

Basement Jaxx always did an epic show back in the day. Would love to see them back.

Of the others mentioned above, I would really only be bothered with LCD Soundsystem. I am a big fan of Orbital, Leftfield and even the Chems (sometimes) put on a good show, but its all become a bit repetitive and predictable over the years. LCD always sound fresh to me, always reinventing and tweaking the songs.

Maybe D*** P*** would spice things up a bit. Will never happen of course.

I've only ever seen Leftfield listed as doing DJ sets in the past few circuits of festival land (Glastonbury, ATN). They'd need new material if there was to be a live show, not that I'm fed up with Leftism or Rhythm and Stealth, and as someone pointed out it's difficult to see that coming any time soon.

To be fair to the Chems, the No Geography set is nothing short of stunning, would look sensational with the new Main Stage setup.

I think we'd all love to see LCD back, I'm daring to hope given these Despacio developments.

Orbital were great craic at ATN last year but they've overtaken Underworld in acts of that type I've seen loads over the years - both were in Belfast in 2018 for a start. Didn't totally love Monsters Exist in the same way I did the rest of their catalogue but the t-shirt is helluva nice, really accents my boobs.

• Advertisement

AMBIENT NEWS

The Orb have announced a new album/tour for next year. Album will be released end of March 2020 with a UK tour with support from Mad Professor (!!) and Don Letts (!!).
    https://www.theorb.com/abolition-spl/

Will they hop over the water to see us?
    I'll begin the summoning ritual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I've only ever seen Leftfield listed as doing DJ sets in the past few circuits of festival land (Glastonbury, ATN). They'd need new material if there was to be a live show, not that I'm fed up with Leftism or Rhythm and Stealth, and as someone pointed out it's difficult to see that coming any time soon.

They had an album out 4 years ago (Alternative Light Source). It's still an infant on their release schedule (they and Portishead should form a support group).

(is the group they or he at this stage? didn't one of them stop?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭patch

They had an album out 4 years ago (Alternative Light Source). It's still an infant on their release schedule (they and Portishead should form a support group).

Just him now.
    Leftism live last year was brilliant. Vocalists and all.
    Hopefully rhythm and stealth will get (us) the same luxury treatment at some stage.

The Stranglers just announced for The Olympia next March.
    2020 marks 6 years since their last Picnic appearance.

The Stranglers just announced for The Olympia next March.
    2020 marks 6 years since their last Picnic appearance.

And they were great. Would love to see them at EP again. One for us auld lads. Nice 'n' Sleazy does it everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cjdennis29

Longitude lineup announced:
    Kendrick Lamar
    Tyler, the Creator
    A$AP Rocky
    Young Thug
    J Hus
    AJ Tracey
    Aitch
    DaBaby
    Playboi Carti
    Charli XCX
    IDK
    Lil Tecca
    Mabel
    Jay1
    Earthgang
    Pop Smoke
    Santi

all ruled out for EP

To be fair to the Chems, the No Geography set is nothing short of stunning, would look sensational with the new Main Stage setup.

I think we'd all love to see LCD back, I'm daring to hope given these Despacio developments.

Orbital were great craic at ATN last year but they've overtaken Underworld in acts of that type I've seen loads over the years - both were in Belfast in 2018 for a start. Didn't totally love Monsters Exist in the same way I did the rest of their catalogue but the t-shirt is helluva nice, really accents my boobs.

I thought Alternative Light Source in 2015 was really impressive, great guests too - Polica, Sleaford Mods, Tunde from TV on the Radio, etc). Their set in Vicar St on the night of the Repeal referendum was heavier than usual and had much less of Leftism than usual. Time to get them back to Stradbally.

And LCD or Despacio I'd welcome every year.

Alternative Light Source completely passed me by, must have a gleek over the weekend.

It's Neil Barnes who runs it, Paul Daley left years ago. Barnes hires a crew of extras (mainly musicians from the Leftism/Rhythm & Stealth era) and pays them a wage rather than a share of tour profits. Am aware of this as a pal plays with them. Safe to say that Barnes fairly rakes it in when touring.

• Advertisement

cjdennis29 wrote: »
    Longitude lineup announced:
    Kendrick Lamar
    Tyler, the Creator
    A$AP Rocky
    Young Thug
    J Hus
    AJ Tracey
    Aitch
    DaBaby
    Playboi Carti
    Charli XCX
    IDK
    Lil Tecca
    Mabel
    Jay1
    Earthgang
    Pop Smoke
    Santi

all ruled out for EP

That's a pretty huge lineup for Longitude. A lot of cash splayed on those artists. Amazed they can afford Kendrick given he's almost certainly headlining the Friday night of Glastonbury.

Only 2/3 I'd be bothered seeing but there'll be a lot of happy kids with that one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement