Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Hadn't heard he was doing anything but love his falsetto and they were a band that should have been a lot bigger. Just seen that he's playing Cecil Sharp House in Camden, a lovely old venue with a lot of history behind it. I used to live in the house next door at 39 Gloucester Avenue back in the Britpop-era early 1990s. All the bands used to drink in our local pubs. Heady days. For them not me. Say hello to the area for me.

Solo album is pretty decent. Not groundbreaking but a good platform for his voice so if you like that, you'll like it well enough I'd say.

It made me yearn for Wild Beasts again, though. Their farewell gig in the Olympia is one of the best I've ever been to. Just magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Solo album is pretty decent. Not groundbreaking but a good platform for his voice so if you like that, you'll like it well enough I'd say.

It made me yearn for Wild Beasts again, though. Their farewell gig in the Olympia is one of the best I've ever been to. Just magic.

That Olympia gig was fantastic. Their ep visits were a bit mixed, main stage early afternoon was poor brilliant in a tent. Booked tickets to see Hayden and Fat White Family. Will fit work in around them.

Anyone catch Whenyoung in Stradbally? Playing the Róisín Dubh this weekend and very tempted. Supported by another Limerick act Sinéad O'Brien who also played EP and is getting much hype recently. Any feedback?

Did you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

They're surely likely to be back at some stage, as are the Maccabees. Both left on a high and I can't see their solo stuff matching their bands' material. As was the case with Bombay Bicycle Club, etc, etc. And what about Ride, more or less ignored twenty years ago and now headlining decent sized festivals? That the future for Wild Beasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭rubick

Goldfrapp on the scene next year. They certainly haven't been at EP in my time, would be a welcome sight next August.

• Advertisement

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Did you go?

Yes. Underwhelming I thought. They have lots of energy, are very likeable and a good sound but too few decent tunes. That could soon change though.

Support act Sinead O'Brien very interesting but all that talky stuff wears thin. Guardian highlighted her last week in an article about bands who talk rather than sing.

They're surely likely to be back at some stage, as are the Maccabees. Both left on a high and I can't see their solo stuff matching their bands' material. As was the case with Bombay Bicycle Club, etc, etc. And what about Ride, more or less ignored twenty years ago and now headlining decent sized festivals? That the future for Wild Beasts?

I hope so, both for Wild Beasts and the Maccabees, who I've always thought were underrated outside the UK. 'Given to the Wild' is a really good album.

I hope so, both for Wild Beasts and the Maccabees, who I've always thought were underrated outside the UK. 'Given to the Wild' is a really good album.

Excellent album. Their peak. Very surprised when they quit, particularly when they'd just had their first number one album. Had thought they were on the way to headlining major festivals and thought there was much more to come from them.

Also caught them on my best ever Friday at EP. Alongside Grandaddy, Grizzly Bear, Mark Lanegan, Gavin Friday & Sigur Ros. Now that's a proper start to a festival.

Yes. Underwhelming I thought. They have lots of energy, are very likeable and a good sound but too few decent tunes. That could soon change though.

Support act Sinead O'Brien very interesting but all that talky stuff wears thin. Guardian highlighted her last week in an article about bands who talk rather than sing.

Can only take a few minutes of Sinead.

Akil from Jurassic 5 just posted on his page that it's J5's 25th Anniversary in 2020, and to keep our eyes open.
    Would love to see them again. What a Sunday afternoon that was!

• Advertisement

rubick wrote: »
    Akil from Jurassic 5 just posted on his page that it's J5's 25th Anniversary in 2020, and to keep our eyes open.
    Would love to see them again. What a Sunday afternoon that was!

Soup from J5 played here last month with his new funk/soul band Fullee Love Collective. Excellent stuff though only 25/30 people turned up. They sold out their Dublin gig at somewhere called Bellobar (?) but I guess that's a small venue and can't see them making much cash with seven of them on tour.

In short, Soup will be up for a reunion cos his bank balance probably ain't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Sinead O'Brien very interesting but all that talky stuff wears thin.

could only handle about a min of that video before i overdosed on hipster with yer man and his "tache". there's only so much pretentious "art" rock bollocks a man can take before saying "please just **** off".

wrong on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Stillill42

could only handle about a min of that video before i overdosed on hipster with yer man and his "tache". there's only so much pretentious "art" rock bollocks a man can take before saying "please just **** off".

wrong on so many levels.

That's a no then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Stillill42 wrote: »
    That's a no then?

I think hes unsure...

Snarky Snark Snark

Stillill42 wrote: »
    That's a no then?

cowjdbi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

wrong on so many levels.

This encouraged me to go and look at the video :). You forgot to mention the pretentious arm-waving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

It's infinitely more annoying if you watch the video, rather than just listen to the tune.
    I had to minimise the screen after say 20 seconds as the video is so irritating, but quite enjoyed the song.
    It sounds like she's trying to channel Cat Power (even may kay) even though it's spoken word, and doesn't quite pull it off.
    I wouldn't write her off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

cowjdbi.jpg

take about 20% off there

It's infinitely more annoying if you watch the video, rather than just listen to the tune.
    I had to minimise the screen after say 20 seconds as the video is so irritating, but quite enjoyed the song.
    It sounds like she's trying to channel Cat Power (even may kay) even though it's spoken word, and doesn't quite pull it off.

Quite good live, good sound from the guitarist and drummer. Would expect to see her at EP again next year but she needs more tunes.

Any other new acts coming through? Slyrydes from Galway and Martian Subculture from Limerick are both excellent. Impressed by Dubliners Squarehead too, they've been around for a decade but never broken through and gigging again regularly after a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Quite good live, good sound from the guitarist and drummer. Would expect to see her at EP again next year but she needs more tunes.

Any other new acts coming through? Slyrydes from Galway and Martian Subculture from Limerick are both excellent. Impressed by Dubliners Squarehead too, they've been around for a decade but never broken through and gigging again regularly after a break.

Really liking that Squarehead album. Tandem Felix released an excellent album few weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

i've been liking these the last little while

Good sounds. Will give a full listen to those acts later. The country is wildly surpassing itself with talented acts at the moment.

Snarky Snark Snark

In fairness, no, the tune does have something in it, but the video...

dear ****ing ****ting goddamn christ lubed up for the rubber dingy rapids.

that ****ing video.

In fairness, no, the tune does have something in it, but the video...

dear ****ing ****ting goddamn christ lubed up for the rubbery dingy rapids.

that ****ing video.

Get off the fence Scruff.

Fire listen through of the Giant Swan debut LP this morning on the way to work - worth the time and interest for fans of Negativland or F*ck Buttons. Certainly a late-night Body & Soul option if ever there was one.

Iggy Pop is the first headliner for ATN. That's one to chalk off for EP anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭endainoz

Iggy Pop is the first headliner for ATN. That's one to chalk off for EP anyway!

Damn that's a damn good headliner too, I won't be swayed though.

endainoz wrote: »

Same here, his new album is impressive and he'll be a great headliner but I couldn't be doing with all the hassle at ATN.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Same here, his new album is impressive and he'll be a great headliner but I couldn't be doing with all the hassle at ATN.

Is there something wrong with me that I find the traffickey hassle less hassley than the scramble to get tickets hassle?

• Advertisement

endainoz wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with me that I find the traffickey hassle less hassley than the scramble to get tickets hassle?

I wouldn't be swayed on the basis of Iggy alone either but having done both festivals, there is varying degrees of hassle at both.

The traffic wasn't an issue for me as we were early arriving on Friday and leaving on Monday, and beyond that, there was just minor things. Irritants for sure- clean toilets and empty bins should be a no-brainer - but I can handle that a lot easier than handling an absolute horde of people like at EP.

This isn't a comment on who is attending, just the sheer scale of it. ATN was nice and managable in comparison.

Every festival has its hassles; just depends on which are bigger deals for everyone personally I guess!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement