Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Harrison22

First time posting here! Wish I knew about this forum also, but got the news that I passed the AC first time so all good!

Does anyone have any idea on what the vetting process is like? I've no criminal convictions, haven't been in debt, had loans or anything serious but still worried and anxious about vetting lol any info is appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

Harrison22 wrote: »
    First time posting here! Wish I knew about this forum also, but got the news that I passed the AC first time so all good!

Does anyone have any idea on what the vetting process is like? I've no criminal convictions, haven't been in debt, had loans or anything serious but still worried and anxious about vetting lol any info is appreciated!

I dont think you will have any trouble at all. :-) dont be worrying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Majorian

I wonder realistically speaking what the odds of the non FT lot starting in '21 are?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

I hope some of us do. Tho especially with the virus and the potential future lock downs how could you ever guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Newbieee

Majorian wrote: »
    I wonder realistically speaking what the odds of the non FT lot starting in '21 are?

Very unlikely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SMS19

Next intake is due to start end of March and next batch of calls a due to go out May so would be a long wait for start dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

Newbieee wrote: »
    Very unlikely

I'm starting to think that even the FT folks will be lucky to start before winter, given the number of 2018 still waiting for the call combined with the reduced intake sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭AlphaBravoOut

MrChew wrote: »
    I'm starting to think that even the FT folks will be lucky to start before winter, given the number of 2018 still waiting for the call combined with the reduced intake sizes.
    Let’s hope it’s sooner..think there’s 48 left from the last campaign so maybe if they get through those between end of Mar-May then our FT grps could run from June onwards? The stuff you think about at this time of night!

Let’s hope it’s sooner..think there’s 48 left from the last campaign so maybe if they get through those between end of Mar-May then our FT grps could run from June onwards? The stuff you think about at this time of night!

I know, right? I don't think they are calling anyone else between now and May, meaning those remaining 48 will get the call in May. So the first 2020 intake won't be until a good while after that, taking into account smaller groups and the fact they seem to be intentionally leaving longer gaps between intakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

I know, right? I don't think they are calling anyone else between now and May, meaning those remaining 48 will get the call in May. So the first 2020 intake won't be until a good while after that, taking into account smaller groups and the fact they seem to be intentionally leaving longer gaps between intakes.

From what I’ve read I don’t think they normally take an intake in July so maybe realistically we could be looking at August and onwards for the first 2002 intakes ? I don’t mind the wait if I’m lucky enough to pass next stages but really eager to get PCA and medical done and dusted hopefully soon although no updates with new dates yet.

• Advertisement

From what I’ve read I don’t think they normally take an intake in July so maybe realistically we could be looking at August and onwards for the first 2002 intakes ? I don’t mind the wait if I’m lucky enough to pass next stages but really eager to get PCA and medical done and dusted hopefully soon although no updates with new dates yet.

Hoping you hear something soon!

When would you think a realistic time would be to get our ML placing? I’m hoping April after lockdown ends and final people complete there AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JC12250

I just want the rest of the ACs to get finished so the rest of us can progress to the PSNI stages lol

It’s incredibly frustrating all this stop starting, but I know it’s worth the wait but yes 100% I can’t wait either!

When would you think a realistic time would be to get our ML placing? I’m hoping April after lockdown ends and final people complete there AC.

From what Deloitte have said, the outstanding ACs are what is preventing the ML from being produced. If there is any loosening of restrictions before April, it's feasible that they might recommence sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭AlphaBravoOut

Gotcha now..thanks buddy, feel bad even commenting this way as we are further ahead than others, but had hoped for a summer start as I’ve really had enough of my current job. I’ll keep the fingers crossed

had hoped for a summer start as I’ve really had enough of my current job.

Lol, SAME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Brodin2693

I think we’re all anticipating the worst case scenario now haha hope for the worst and be surprised if it’s hopefully a lot smoother from here on! Hopefully they get AC centres finished in the next month! I’d like to think they have a list pre formed already and it’s a case of slotting candidates in based on their score so we’d get our ML very soon after completion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 deebizzle13

Has anyone who has just been informed of passing the AC in January there like myself been informed of vetting progress yet? Or do we all have to wait until everyone has finished their AC's before we can progress?

Has anyone who has just been informed of passing the AC in January there like myself been informed of vetting progress yet? Or do we all have to wait until everyone has finished their AC's before we can progress?

Yeah we have to wait until the AC’s complete and then the ML will be generated. Hopefully from there vetting etc would continue based on merit order. Other than FT groups I don’t believe any one would been contacted for vetting.

• Advertisement

Things aren’t looking good today if the CC report is anything to go by. Budget cuts could lead to the reduction of the number of officers recruited. A budget cut of £23M could mean recruiting only 114 officers if I’ve read that correctly.

It doesn’t make for good reading, although as it stands a it’s only an assumption on how they would make savings if they were not allocated more funding. It would be terrible if this does come to fruition and would also nearly guarantee there wouldn’t be anymore recruitment in the near future.

JC12250 wrote: »
    Things aren’t looking good today if the CC report is anything to go by. Budget cuts could lead to the reduction of the number of officers recruited. A budget cut of £23M could mean recruiting only 114 officers if I’ve read that correctly.

Yes, that makes for pretty grim reading.

The 114 officers seems to refer to the 21/22 financial year - but they had expected to recruit 600 officers from the 2002 campaign, which would suggest 300 max being recruited from 2002, if the budget line stays the same. Additionally, there are 48 still to be called from 1810, which would likely count towards the above figure of 114.

Hopefully the policing board along with the justice committee put pressure on the Justice Minister to demand more funding from the exec - failure to do so could have serious implications on this recruitment and as mentioned, future recruitment campaigns for at least the next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Brodin2693

It’s absolutely ludicrous, the PSNI is the most underfunded police service in the UK and Ireland. I can’t see how, with the growing threats posed by Brexit alone, reducing officers is considered a smart decision. But hopefully the points raised by the CC and Police Fed will bring these issues to light.

I really hope it’s a business move from the CC to get the additional funding they require.

I really hope it’s a business move from the CC to get the additional funding they require.

It's a business move and insurance. If it gets them the funding they need, good. If it doesn't, and service standards begin to slide and the politicians become unhappy, the CC can say that he warned them this would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

A stark warning from CC to plug funding hole. With the current political back drop between dealing with covid and brexit implications causing tensions I really can't see the PSNI not getting what they ask for in terms of required budget. I can't see how any Politician could stand over a reduction in Officers leading to a reduction in visible service delivery after commitments made in NDNA and with new assembly elections on the horizon in 2022. Here's hoping this campaign doesn't get another curve ball.

Food for thought, it’s coming close to the start of a new financial year. Could the CC making noise at the right time?

• Advertisement

DoJ comments on Twitter seems to echo the thought of the funding gap not getting plugged. Just don’t understand how the UK government are investing into Policing yet PSNI seem to be getting overlooked. When £300M is being handed back you think the treasury would reinstate a small amount of that back into the executive solely to benefit the PSNI. Frustrating and devastating to think that after all this waiting it could be all over due to budget cuts.

Advertisement