Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Majorian

Failed my AC despite going and getting coaching and feeling I had done really well.

Is there an appeals process against how you were marked?

Or is this the end?

Unfortunately I believe there is no appeals process. I would wait until we get our breakdown in the scores to see why you didn't get the grade you expected, we should get some more in depth feedback then. Coaching only helps some people, for others it's actually sometimes a hindrance because experienced assessors will see through an over prepared candidate who's going off a script rather than being themselves.

It's definitely not the end for you if you're determined, as some other guys in this thread were saying there will likely be another campaign in 2021, you can go into it with the full knowledge on where you can do things differently next time. There are people in this campaign who weren't successful in the previous one and they're now being fast tracked. Don't give up and take this as a learning experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

Failed my AC despite going and getting coaching and feeling I had done really well.

Is there an appeals process against how you were marked?

Or is this the end?

Hi pal. Tbh I felt the same. I went for coaching and felt I did enough to at least hit the pass mark. I mean the pass I think is low 60’s!

I’ll find out where I went wrong when they release the results. Not that I care now as I found a job that I wanted more than the police - but after 7 attempts at the police I’m done trying..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MoaningMertyl

Belfast86 wrote: »
    Hi pal. Tbh I felt the same. I went for coaching and felt I did enough to at least hit the pass mark. I mean the pass I think is low 60’s!

I’ll find out where I went wrong when they release the results. Not that I care now as I found a job that I wanted more than the police - but after 7 attempts at the police I’m done trying..
    Which was the job you want more

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

Which was the job you want more

I got into the prison service. It was always what I wanted over the police. I passed training last week and started on the landings. I was going to cancel my police application

It still doesn’t take away how annoyed I am I didn’t do better at the AC but a lot less pressure worrying about it as I’m now happy where I am.

Good luck for any future attempts at the police pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 felix1305

So what does the performance email actually consist of?

A breakdown of the competencies you missed of each scenario, and the ones you used and how effectively?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

I believe each section is broken down with the total amount of points available, the amounts of points you scored at that section and what grade that would equate too. I don't believe it breaks down what you were good or bad at.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Peeler97

To all those who failed this time round, don’t give up! I remember failing my first AC. I persevered though, passed 2nd time and have now been in the job for a year. If anything, use it as experience and when you go again you’ll know exactly what to expect. I know it’s tough, especially after waiting so long but it will all be worthwhile when you get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Irishman84!

Hi Peeler97, can I ask a question if you dont mind? I have read some horror stories about rest days being cancelled a lot etc. Is this something that happens often at short notice? just asking as I have a family and would be hoping for some kind of work/life balance although I do realise it isnt going to be the same as with a normal day job. also, how many rest days would you typically get in a row if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭HopefulCan2002

Hi was just wondering is it possible to pass your AC and not make the merit list? Or does anyone know how many make it on the merit list?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

Hi was just wondering is it possible to pass your AC and not make the merit list? Or does anyone know how many make it on the merit list?

The previous 2 campaigns had about 1050 on the ML. That doesn't mean it will be the same this time of course.

I've never heard of anyone passing the AC but not making it on to the ML.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

I think what you are alluding to (and correct me if i am wrong) have all who made it to the ML got calls for appointment? I am also wondering about that myself just to sort of know if say, i have just scraped off the passmark, would i sill get the call at some point? Or, what would be a reasonable mark to believe that one would most likely get an appointment call? I think, after some researching, in past years pass marks have been 45-50% to get on the ML, but people would get THE call if they are above 60 really? Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. xx

mariyapsni wrote: »
    I think what you are alluding to (and correct me if i am wrong) have all who made it to the ML got calls for appointment? I am also wondering about that myself just to sort of know if say, i have just scraped off the passmark, would i sill get the call at some point? Or, what would be a reasonable mark to believe that one would most likely get an appointment call? I think, after some researching, in past years pass marks have been 45-50% to get on the ML, but people would get THE call if they are above 60 really? Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. xx

It seems to be that in years past, they had a certain number of officers they wanted from each campaign and that if you were far down the list, you wouldn't get the call.

That doesn't appear to be how they've done it for the past two campaigns though. Instead, if you made it to the ML and then passed all the PSNI stages, you would definitely get the call eventually. Like, for the 2018 campaign, the most recent set of calls were for those who just hit the pass mark at AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Newbieee

I know it’s hard to put a time scale on it and obviously this recruitment is different but in 2018 campaign ML 300-400 started GV approx 8 months after getting Merit position. 500-700 started a year after ML position.
    Some 900 plus still waiting to get into GV

Again it all really depends on how long your vetting takes. Some can be as short as 3 months, some can be 6 months +

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭HopefulCan2002

So are you saying your merit list position could change with how quickly your vetting comes back?

So are you saying your merit list position could change with how quickly your vetting comes back?

No, vetting takes as long as it takes. Doesn’t matter on ML.

For example though, you could be ML 180 and someone in your class in GV might be ML 320 but that’s because your vetting took longer and there’s shorter if you get me

Although FT may get a faster vetting, I might be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gda88

Apart from the 2 fast track groups has anyone recently received vetting forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭AlphaBravoOut

Looking over the stats on the psni website, (last 2 campaigns) roughly 40% of applicants who were successful at AC and made it onto the merit list, failed at some point along the psni managed stages. This might explain why someone with an ML of 700+ makes it to GV as they successfully pass all managed stages, (Vetting etc) whereas someone with an ML of 50-100 could still fail their online learning, pca, vetting or medical and not proceed any further. Nothing is guaranteed I guess until you’re appointable and get the call. Not sure if that helps anyone, but it’s my take on it anyway..could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JC12250

Anyone else just want to get kicking on with the PSNI stages now?lol. Since getting the result of the AC it’s all I can think about

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Majorian

JC12250 wrote: »
    Anyone else just want to get kicking on with the PSNI stages now?lol. Since getting the result of the AC it’s all I can think about

Yeah of course, I don't really see how keeping everyone waiting because of a very small number of people makes any sense and how it's "preserving the integrity" of assesments when we've already had people fast tracked. The should get the vetting underway asap, otherwise we'll be waiting for months to receive vetting forms just to wait for more months while our vetting is clearing when it could at least be getting processed while we wait for the merit list. It would make everyone's life easier, but I suppose that would make too much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

Majorian wrote: »
    Yeah of course, I don't really see how keeping everyone waiting because of a very small number of people makes any sense and how it's "preserving the integrity" of assesments when we've already had people fast tracked. The should get the vetting underway asap, otherwise we'll be waiting for months to receive vetting forms just to wait for more months while our vetting is clearing when it could at least be getting processed while we wait for the merit list. It would make everyone's life easier, but I suppose that would make too much sense.

Fair point, I’m sure there have been people who have scored high enough to be fast tracked but were unfortunate enough to have had to wait until after the groups were already selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Ggeiml1

Hey all first time poster.

Congrats to those who have recently found out they passed the AC and commiserations to those who failed.

Keep your heads up and try again. The first time I went and done the AC I completely messed it up and failed. Although I was gutted the experience meant I knew what I was going into this time around and was much more prepared and I managed to make it into Ft1 group.

Just my medical to go for me now. It got cancelled the day before I was due to go, it's been rescheduled for a few weeks time. Vetting took around 7-8 weeks for me and pca didn't cause any issues. Main bit of advice for pca would be to take your time around the tricky bits making sure you don't lose time for brushing off something and then going full whack on the sprints and the easier stuff.
    As for vetting, like everyone else advises... Transparency is key.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Newyearnewjob

Hi all, another first time poster. Does anyone know how vetting works. I have just been vetted for another job up to SC level. I am also already CTC &RV for my current job. Do they just use these or is it all started again from scratch. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

Hi all, another first time poster. Does anyone know how vetting works. I have just been vetted for another job up to SC level. I am also already CTC &RV for my current job. Do they just use these or is it all started again from scratch. Thanks

Hi Newyearnewjob! I am wondering the same, as i am CTC and DBS vetted on a continuous basis for the past 6 years and i was hoping that this might ease off my vetting for the current psni role. Just wonder whether that matters or not? :rolleyes: Thanks in advice for the advice x

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AWD188

Hi folks, was fortunate enough to pass my AC, weight off the shoulders. I’m sorry to hear about those who didn’t pass. Please keep the heads up and stay strong.

Whilst I know the PCA’s won’t be anytime soon for those who’ve recently passed and haven’t got our Merit list yet. Does anyone have any advice? Such as training etc thats best to do? I’m reasonably fit (before this circuit breaker lol) but i want to make sure I’m in the best shape possible for this!

Also, when I was in my early teens I briefly had an encounter with the police. I don’t think anything was issued formally to me, however I’m worried from a vetting stand point to put anything down?

Appreciate any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Helmsman22

Hi Newyearnewjob! I am wondering the same, as i am CTC and DBS vetted on a continuous basis for the past 6 years and i was hoping that this might ease off my vetting for the current psni role. Just wonder whether that matters or not? :rolleyes: Thanks in advice for the advice x

As someone who's had SC clearance for my previous job and gone through vetting with another force; it won't ease anything off. It can still take months (or weeks) depending on completely arbitrary factors.

Vetting starts from scratch

Average is between 12-22 weeks

AWD188 wrote: »
    Hi folks, was fortunate enough to pass my AC, weight off the shoulders. I’m sorry to hear about those who didn’t pass. Please keep the heads up and stay strong.

Whilst I know the PCA’s won’t be anytime soon for those who’ve recently passed and haven’t got our Merit list yet. Does anyone have any advice? Such as training etc thats best to do? I’m reasonably fit (before this circuit breaker lol) but i want to make sure I’m in the best shape possible for this!

Also, when I was in my early teens I briefly had an encounter with the police. I don’t think anything was issued formally to me, however I’m worried from a vetting stand point to put anything down?

Appreciate any help!

Broadly, cardio is more important than strength. You need to go really hard for a short amount of time using a lot of different muscle groups so HIIT, circuits, etc are your friend. You will be out of breath quickly doing the course so anything that helps you build up anaerobic stamina is good. Prior to my PCA I was doing a couple of sessions of HIIT and a couple of 5k runs a week, with occasional weights here and there.

Bear in mind, its the PSNI not the SAS, so you don't need to be a machine or anything, just be prepared to give it dixie.

As for your encounter with the police, I'd put it down in the interests of full disclosure but it doesn't sound like it will cause you any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ggeiml1

AWD188 wrote: »

Appreciate any help!

Stamina over strength. You get 4 and a half minutes to complete the course compared to 4 minutes in previous years. However if you are over the 4 minutes you will need to complete the course again in under 4 minutes to complete officer training.
    One thing that can add time is by making mistakes. Eg if you are ducking and your shoulders/back touches a pole, or if you touch any part of the course which the assessors explained are to be avoided (easily done) you have to go back and re-do that bit. Which is why you're better to attend the familiarisation day to see where you might trip up and plan how you will tackle each part.

It may be that for one certain obstacle you might have to slow down a bit to do it properly as rushing it could just cause a fault leading to more time added and more energy wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭AlphaBravoOut

Ggeiml1 wrote: »
    Stamina over strength. You get 4 and a half minutes to complete the course compared to 4 minutes in previous years. However if you are over the 4 minutes you will need to complete the course again in under 4 minutes to complete officer training.
    One thing that can add time is by making mistakes. Eg if you are ducking and your shoulders/back touches a pole, or if you touch any part of the course which the assessors explained are to be avoided (easily done) you have to go back and re-do that bit. Which is why you're better to attend the familiarisation day to see where you might trip up and plan how you will tackle each part.

It may be that for one certain obstacle you might have to slow down a bit to do it properly as rushing it could just cause a fault leading to more time added and more energy wasted.
    Thanks for the advice, I definitely agree with you and MrChew that’s it’s more stamina over strength after doing my familiarisation. Will try not to knock anything over either as I could very easily do that lol..Hopefully be doing my rescheduled test in near future as some were saying medicals are now going ahead again. Sooner the gyms open too the better..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

Congrats to all you who passed for those who didnt keep trying!

Advertisement