Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭HopefulCan2002

Where is everyone seeing this about funding cuts and only recruiting so many? Starting to worry about it to be honest bad enough waiting for results but seeing this now makes me think

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JC12250

Where is everyone seeing this about funding cuts and only recruiting so many? Starting to worry about it to be honest bad enough waiting for results but seeing this now makes me think

https://www.psni.police.uk/news/Latest-News/040221-chief-constable-report-to-nipb/

JC12250 wrote: »

Doesn’t make good reading to be honest if covid doesn’t mess it up the the budget cut will. Bit disappointed to be honest after reading that but I guess time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gda88

50% reduction in this campaign, now only 300 recruits and that will effect the merit list also. All this anxious waiting about for results and a merit number looks to be for nothing for the majority of us :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Brodin2693

Important to note that the budget can be changed and as a few have stated above, it’s the CC making noise to bring this to the surface. Not only would it affect recruitment but it would also involve cutting current staffing numbers. Ultimately a cut in budget will be detrimental to the security of the country. Not to mention it just tramples over the NDNA & the Patten Report guidance from way back in the early 2000’s of having 7500 officers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 deebizzle13

Not nice after putting in so much effort over the last year near enough. Hopefully it all works out for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

If you search on YouTube for Policing Board February Meeting in Public and skip to 59 minutes, you will the CC comments on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

If you search on YouTube for Policing Board February Meeting in Public and skip to 59 minutes, you will the CC comments on the matter.

In fairness to the CC, he's spelt out exactly the amount needed to maintain number targets and identified other areas where costs could be reduced so the DoJ don't necessarily need to come up with the full 23m - just enough to fulfil some of their key priorities, of which recruitment absolutely seems to be one. There's an element of horse trading to this, and there also seems to be unanimous political will to meet the NDNA obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PSNIhopeful1

MrChew wrote: »
    In fairness to the CC, he's spelt out exactly the amount needed to maintain number targets and identified other areas where costs could be reduced so the DoJ don't necessarily need to come up with the full 23m - just enough to fulfil some of their key priorities, of which recruitment absolutely seems to be one. There's an element of horse trading to this, and there also seems to be unanimous political will to meet the NDNA obligations.

Do you think this will have much of an effect on us in the fast track groups? Fast track essentially means you're in the top 100/200, doesn't it?

If they only take 300 in 2021, do you think we will be okay regardless?

If the FT candidates are top 200 then that leaves 100 more to progress through? Surely that won't be enough in the grand scheme of things. I'm going to stay positive and hope for the best for now, all I can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ASM1234

So is the 50% cut happening or what could happen? Slightly confused on what's happening

Also are we technically not the 2020 recruitment due to the process starting last year? Maybe meaning the 50% cut starting with the next recruitment. Who knows.

Do you think this will have much of an effect on us in the fast track groups? Fast track essentially means you're in the top 100/200, doesn't it?

If they only take 300 in 2021, do you think we will be okay regardless?

Honestly mate, I've no clue, there's a lot of moving parts.

The report says that if they don't get sufficient funds, there will only be 114 recruited in FY21/22. Does the 48 that still need to be appointed from 1810 come out of that number? Probably.

So that eats into the number of spaces available for 2002 candidates. And, from the maths, it means that a bunch of 2002 candidates will be recruited in FY22/23, meaning a good whack of 2002 candidates won't be appointed until after April 2022. Speculating - and this is all speculation - if you're not top 85 or higher, say, you could well be waiting til 2022 for a spot.

And that applies mostly only to FT candidates who again, even in this wick situation, are in a better position than those who aren't FT. Without additional funding, a lot of fine folks who haunt this board are going to lose their chance.

ASM1234 wrote: »
    So is the 50% cut happening or what could happen? Slightly confused on what's happening

Depends on the benevolence of the Department of Justice purse holders lol. If the PSNI can get a bit more money out of them, it might be all good. We'll know for sure closer to the end of the financial year when budgets are finalised.

Also are we technically not the 2020 recruitment due to the process starting last year? Maybe meaning the 50% cut starting with the next recruitment. Who knows.

This seems unlikely - the CC's report specifically says such a cut will have adverse impact on people currently on recruitment merit lists, namely us.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RoboCop123

I may have interpreted this wrong but would the article not suggest they intend to recruit @ 114 in the next campaign and cut the merit list by 50% for 2002?

RoboCop123 wrote: »
    I am have interpreted this wrong but would the article not suggest they intend to recruit @ 114 in the next campaign and cut the merit list by 50% for 2002?

From the CC's report he submitted to the Policing Board, it doesn't sound like that, Robo. It reads like 114 for financial year 21/22 with an overall recruitment cut of 50%, ie 300 recruited instead of 600 from 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RoboCop123

From the CC's report he submitted to the Policing Board, it doesn't sound like that, Robo. It reads like 114 for financial year 21/22 with an overall recruitment cut of 50%, ie 300 recruited instead of 600 from 2002.

Ah ok MrChew, so from that they'll limit the intake to 114 this year but still take 300 from 2002? Meaning even though there is more delays the top 300 should be safe..

RoboCop123 wrote: »
    Ah ok MrChew, so from that they'll limit the intake to 114 this year but still take 300 from 2002? Meaning even though there is more delays the top 300 should be safe..

That's how I understand it, yeah, but with the added caveat that the 48 from 1810 still waiting for calls will count out of the 114 for this FY.

I'm hopeful that this can be worked out - 6 mil isn't a lot in the grand scheme and increasing police visibility is popular with the public and politically.

Have you a link for it?

• Advertisement

Have you a link for it? Can’t seem to find it

Have you a link for it? Can’t seem to find it

https://youtu.be/xQzamtwoel8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Brodin2693

I think it’s just a wait and see what happens guys, no point in driving ourselves mad trying to analyse politics.

Brodin2693 wrote: »
    I think it’s just a wait and see what happens guys, no point in driving ourselves mad trying to analyse politics.

Probably the best frame of mind to have.

It's out of our control, so let's just hope for the best. Politics takes U-turns on a daily basis so let's hope they just allocate the budget as normal.

Brodin2693 wrote: »

Your 100% right, keep the head down and be optimistic. It will all work out in the end.

Your 100% right, keep the head down and be optimistic. It will all work out in the end.

You guys can do what you want. I'm gonna just freak out and go screaming down the street :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ASM1234

I think the navy seals would be easier to get into at this point

You guys can do what you want. I'm gonna just freak out and go screaming down the street :D

I feel like this internally but I'm trying my best to remain calm lol

Having read all the posts again and thinking about it the merit list will still be used over the years. There might not be another recruitment drive for a while as they have their list already and can use it. Also some posts are right that politics change everyday so it could be a plan by the CC to highlight the issue to get backing from the politicians to get the funding he needs. I mean we have all came this far would be a shame and disappointment if we didn’t get in. Fingers crossed I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JC12250

After a meltdown yesterday I feel a lot more positive that hopefully the funding will be provided to recruit the numbers needed. Hopefully positive news ahead folks!

Advertisement