Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Eire_1600

Can anyone confirm if IST is been retested? Seen a post on here saying it’s not, I’ve been practicing for them but would rather focus on the role play scenarios if the IST definitely isn’t been retested?

Have my AC soon.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

Eire_1600 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if IST is been retested? Seen a post on here saying it’s not, I’ve been practicing for them but would rather focus on the role play scenarios if the IST definitely isn’t been retested?

Have my AC soon.

Thanks.

From the supporting material, it sounds like the IST is being retested selectively, which suggests that they are retesting randomly for verification purposes. Thay would make sense, as they seem to be currently eschewing computer testing as would be the norm so won't put everyone through that.

With that said, re-testing the IST has only ever been for verification purposes and to test your IT competency, and, from my understanding, doesn't contribute to your AC score at all. So prioritising practicing for the IST instead of the actual marked elements of the AC ie your roleplays and action plans/reports doesn't make a lot of sense unless you were borderline for passing the IST in the first place, and even then, there would only be a problem if your retest results were wildly lower than your original IST low pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 2002candidate

Quick question. Me and my mate were pulled over today (we didn’t do anything btw) and when talking to the officers one of them said they smoked. They said they use a vape when they’re in the car but that’s all we spoke on that topic.

My question is, how do those officers who smoke have one? Are you only allowed to smoke in the station? What’s the regulations on it?

Reason for the question is i’m a smoker myself and I was thinking about quitting before i go in because i wasn’t sure in how it works once on the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭penutzimes

Quick question. Me and my mate were pulled over today (we didn’t do anything btw) and when talking to the officers one of them said they smoked. They said they use a vape when they’re in the car but that’s all we spoke on that topic.

My question is, how do those officers who smoke have one? Are you only allowed to smoke in the station? What’s the regulations on it?

Reason for the question is i’m a smoker myself and I was thinking about quitting before i go in because i wasn’t sure in how it works once on the job.

Not sure how it would work to be honest but I think from a health and fitness point of view quiting would be in your best interests anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Flo96

Observed an officer using a vape pen whilst attending a call. He used his vape pen whilst his colleague attended to the individual in question.
    I'd hazard a guess that they'd prefer you use a vape pen due to ease of use.

• Advertisement

Not sure if anyone who has been through the PSNI stages reads through this thread but i’ve a question for them. What did you’s do to prepare for the fitness. I’m at a basic level of fitness and i’d like to get my fitness up over the next few months. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gonzo94

Not sure if anyone who has been through the PSNI stages reads through this thread but i’ve a question for them. What did you’s do to prepare for the fitness. I’m at a basic level of fitness and i’d like to get my fitness up over the next few months. Any advice?

I found it wasn't as hard as others made it out to be and I wouldn't say I'm really fit. I would suggest you do a few circuits either by yourself or a circuit class. I ran a couple of nights a week and just did general gym work with rowing machine and assault bike thrown in as well. I found the step down a bit awkward due to my height. Especially on the last lap when I near knocked the bar off. They've increased the time limit so you should have no problems passing it.

I'm sure others on here will post the things that helped them.

Gonzo94 wrote: »
    I found it wasn't as hard as others made it out to be and I wouldn't say I'm really fit. I would suggest you do a few circuits either by yourself or a circuit class. I ran a couple of nights a week and just did general gym work with rowing machine and assault bike thrown in as well. I found the step down a bit awkward due to my height. Especially on the last lap when I near knocked the bar off. They've increased the time limit so you should have no problems passing it.

I'm sure others on here will post the things that helped them.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Shz93

Just for another opinion, I actually found it quite tough. I play netball and camogie and wouldn’t of said I was the fittest (goal keeper lol) but would never have said I was unfit. I read a lot of the comments on the boards and tbh I got a bit complacent because of people saying ‘it wasn’t as hard as you think’ and ‘if you’re even
    Somewhat fit you’ll be fine’ deffo keep your training up with a serious focus on cardio! Circuits are deffo great As well as hill sprints and anything else that will get your heart pumping to the max and there’s some bleep test apps to monitor progress. Also focus on strength for pushing yourself up the wall and the drag bag, squats and lat pulls downs recommended! Best of luck!

Shz93 wrote: »
    Just for another opinion, I actually found it quite tough. I play netball and camogie and wouldn’t of said I was the fittest (goal keeper lol) but would never have said I was unfit. I read a lot of the comments on the boards and tbh I got a bit complacent because of people saying ‘it wasn’t as hard as you think’ and ‘if you’re even
    Somewhat fit you’ll be fine’ deffo keep your training up with a serious focus on cardio! Circuits are deffo great As well as hill sprints and anything else that will get your heart pumping to the max and there’s some bleep test apps to monitor progress. Also focus on strength for pushing yourself up the wall and the drag bag, squats and lat pulls downs recommended! Best of luck!

Thank you, this helps a lot. I know the PCA won’t be until next year but i’d rather be well prepared to have the best chance possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SMS19

Shz93 wrote: »

I would agree with this.
    I did loads of Crossfit with a lot of 5min on 5 min off work to get used to working at max capacity for that length of time. If you are on the smaller/lighter side you are most likely to struggle with the drag bag (39kg) and the wall claim (6foot) so leg and back strength is key for both. As SHZ93 has said Squats, latpull downs, leg press, pull-ups, lunges etc.
    If you are stuck for training idea's drop me a PM and I'm sure I can help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mcztg_93

Anyone who has done the AC so far, what did everyone think of it?

Mcztg_93 wrote: »
    Anyone who has done the AC so far, what did everyone think of it?

It was my first time doing it, I feel like I missed some key points during it as I was nervous. Fingers crossed for good news soon! They said to expect an email within 3 weeks although I don’t know if this is results or a survey on the AC.

Eire_1600 wrote: »
    It was my first time doing it, I feel like I missed some key points during it as I was nervous. Fingers crossed for good news soon! They said to expect an email within 3 weeks although I don’t know if this is results or a survey on the AC.

Yes I feel the exact same. It was my first time doing it too and first experience of that sort of setting. Yes I think they said on for before the 4th December, depending on demand etc. The trouble is now you sit and think I should have said this etc 😂 fingers crossed for good news.

Mcztg_93 wrote: »
    Yes I feel the exact same. It was my first time doing it too and first experience of that sort of setting. Yes I think they said on for before the 4th December, depending on demand etc. The trouble is now you sit and think I should have said this etc 😂 fingers crossed for good news.

Yes, that’s exactly what I was doing after finishing the AC but I suppose there’s no point thinking about it now. All we can do is hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ali82

Anyone any tips on role plays or how to prepare for them? So nervous and don’t know what to expect. Did you have to wear a mask? Thanks

Ali82 wrote: »
    Anyone any tips on role plays or how to prepare for them? So nervous and don’t know what to expect. Did you have to wear a mask? Thanks

You don’t have to wear a mask, as far as i’m aware it’s personal preference. I had mine several weeks ago before they became mandatory so not too sure.

For the role play, there’s a thread dedicated to the assessment centre:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2055314029
    There’s some helpful tips in it

If you’ve any other questions shoot me a PM i’ll do my best to assist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NIAS92

Did anyone apply for the recent NIAS emergency medical dispatcher role by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Xxx1234

NIAS92 wrote: »
    Did anyone apply for the recent NIAS emergency medical dispatcher role by any chance?

Where can you apply for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NIAS92

Xxx1234 wrote: »
    Where can you apply for this

It was advertised on a few job sites and the HSC ni website but it closed on 22nd July. I haven't heard anything from them since completing the alphanumeric entry test. Just wondering if anyone was in the same position with it.

• Advertisement

NIAS92 wrote: »

I was thinking of applying for this but it wasn't feasible

Has anyone heard any correspondence from Deloitte?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 YamDiv6N

The Deloitte email 3 weeks after Is just a feedback form on how you thought the experience was and how the event was run.

Did delliotte send the secdonary email with the exact details for the AC in good time? Was it exactly a week before?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Yukuza2008

Would anybody have any tips on how to prepare for the written exercises at the AC?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Si_zx10r

Anyone else feel like their a/c went terrible? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tashbash

Does anyone think there will be another lockdown/local lockdown and their AC will be postponed?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Si_zx10r

Hi tashbash, if there is another lockdown then it will be postponed but cannot see another lockdown happening or the whole economy is going to crash. Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that for everyone's sake

Tashbash wrote: »
    Does anyone think there will be another lockdown/local lockdown and their AC will be postponed?

I could potentially see some local lockdown, I am afraid of them doing something like that and the ac cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Xxx1234

Hi there, anyone been to the assessment centre other than the one in Belfast. Have booked in for one on the north west area and not so sure where it’s going to be. Just looking a rough location.

Advertisement