Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Latto882

I know!
    Wish it was sooner, its all im thinking about at the minute. Hopefully the next few months fly in

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Si_zx10r

I suppose it is worse for anyone who has done their a/c already as the wait seems like forever now. I had mine a couple of weeks ago. The biggest issue for me is know having a clue how it went in the end, no way of really gauging it but fingers crossed it all good news when it comes. Will be interesting to see how quickly the fast track starts, might be a couple of people on forum lucky enough to get on it. I just hope i passed

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kirks22

Does anyone know from the 1810 intake how far in advance the FT people where told they’d been successful from when the results where released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Kirks22 wrote: »
    Does anyone know from the 1810 intake how far in advance the FT people where told they’d been successful from when the results where released?

There were 2 batches of fast trackers for 1810, 67 in March and 47 in April, results were released in May 2019.

NornIron74 wrote: »
    There were 2 batches of fast trackers for 1810, 67 in March and 47 in April, results were released in May 2019.

If going off that then it will like be October/November before anyone progresses to the next stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭penutzimes

I can't see there being a fast track if I'm honest as GV seem to be on a limited capacity so going by that they woulnt need a pile of new recruits especially when they are still plenty on the 2018 merit list who are waiting to get through.

It could still happen though, the managed stages can take some time to complete and they need more recruits. I wouldnt be surprised if some people are lucky enough to move to the next stages of the process. Are they not at the tail end of the 18/10 waiting list now?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bafta12

penutzimes wrote: »
    I can't see there being a fast track if I'm honest as GV seem to be on a limited capacity so going by that they woulnt need a pile of new recruits especially when they are still plenty on the 2018 merit list who are waiting to get through.

I’ve heard from a good source that they are going to fast track... but as I’ve said, no one really knows.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about whether I have passed or not lol no point jumping the gun incase it ends with disappointment. I've been there before building my hopes and then fall at the last hurdle, not nice being in that position when you've invested so much into getting a particular role. 2 1/2yrs I was in for a certain role and was 10th on waiting list and then got a dear John letter a few months later.

They probably are getting to the end of 2018 list, I hope they do fast track that would definitely be nice I was just trying to not get too excited lol

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to getting result, the a/c was probably the strangest thing I've had to do as part of a recruitment process. It does suck that we have to wait so long for result/feedback. I'm sure those of us that have attended a/c will probably already have been scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SMS19

Going by join PSNI there are 232 candidates left in 1810, some are bound to fail stages though. The sooner GV goes back to monthly intakes the better.

That's a right wee bit going by the way covid is going I can't see things changing for a while

Got a feedback email from deloitte and s@#$ myself, thought I maybe had done that badly, I was getting a dear John email 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

Did my AC during the week there. What an odd experience. Kind of enjoyed it once I got into the swing of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Treddy

It's really unfortunate how long the process takes for the PSNI compared to other forces. I've applied for a mainland force months after applying for the PSNI, and I've already passed selection and looking at a January start date. I'd love to stay here, but If I'm facing the prospect of potentially waiting another year to join providing I get good results in December it's not looking very likely. Really hoping to get fast tracked, but I don't feel like I've done amazing in the AC so I'm not holding my breath. Digging through these forums its crazy how some people wait two, three years to join. I get that because of Good Friday recruitment has to be outsourced, but they'd do well to have a hard look at shaking it up. I'm sure they've lost plenty of good quality potential recruits simply because of how long it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 2002candidate

Treddy wrote: »
    It's really unfortunate how long the process takes for the PSNI compared to other forces. I've applied for a mainland force months after applying for the PSNI, and I've already passed selection and looking at a January start date. I'd love to stay here, but If I'm facing the prospect of potentially waiting another year to join providing I get good results in December it's not looking very likely. Really hoping to get fast tracked, but I don't feel like I've done amazing in the AC so I'm not holding my breath. Digging through these forums its crazy how some people wait two, three years to join. I get that because of Good Friday recruitment has to be outsourced, but they'd do well to have a hard look at shaking it up. I'm sure they've lost plenty of good quality potential recruits simply because of how long it takes.

It is long and quite frustrating at that, but at the same time it shows who really wants the job as they’re willing to wait a long time to get it and often have numerous attempts before being appointable.

It's a serious long wait from applying to starting it's mad but patience is a virtue and if you really want it you will wait it will come around eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 2002candidate

I’ve saw a lot of people saying how long their vetting is. I’m not sure if you’re allowed to disclose what happens in vetting but if so, what makes it so long? I’ve nothing to worry about but what all do they ask you?

I’ve saw a lot of people saying how long their vetting is. I’m not sure if you’re allowed to disclose what happens in vetting but if so, what makes it so long? I’ve nothing to worry about but what all do they ask you?

IIRC, it's 20 years worth of addresses for you, 10 years of addresses for immediate family and spouses, plus a credit check and you're obliged to disclose any run ins you've had with the police.

There seems to be a lack of consistency with vetting - some people get theirs completed quickly, others it takes ages, even if they have similar backgrounds. From what I've read, being a 19 year old candidate who has only ever lived at home doesn't necessarily mean your vetting will go through quickly, but it might.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Wyl91

In terms to the substance misuse test- I took over the counter painkillers there for tonsillitis for a few days there.

I’ve just realised they had a small amount of codeine In them. I took them as advised and for just 3 days. I just looked this up and they are considered an opiate.

Emmmmm now I’m freaking out? Should I be worried In the of chance I got through to the SMT?

Wyl91 wrote: »
    In terms to the substance misuse test- I took over the counter painkillers there for tonsillitis for a few days there.

I’ve just realised they had a small amount of codeine In them. I took them as advised and for just 3 days. I just looked this up and they are considered an opiate.

Emmmmm now I’m freaking out? Should I be worried In the of chance I got through to the SMT?

You're in the 2020 campaign? I don't think you need to worry - you list any medication you've taken recently as part of the medical/SMT, in part to eliminate false positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tashbash

They ask at the SMT if you've taken codeine and they have a tolerance level which only flags up anything over it.

Also the test only tests about 3 months back and it's unlikely you'll have your medical/SMT in the next 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Treddy wrote: »

Yeah cause policing without a gun is really such a good idea nowadays...

No harm but with the prevalence of knife crime and acid attacks in GB you couldn't pay me enough to police there without a gun.

And yes i'm a PSNI officer

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wyl91

Tashbash wrote: »
    They ask at the SMT if you've taken codeine and they have a tolerance level which only flags up anything over it.

Also the test only tests about 3 months back and it's unlikely you'll have your medical/SMT in the next 3 months.

Thanks so much for ur reply! I was just so worried when I realised what it could mean.

Tolerance level? Is that like if you took them everyday? I didn’t think the SMT would be any time soon just really don’t want to fail on anything I can control if that makes sense.

Generally what’s the time frame like when you move to managed stages? Does it all kind of happen at the same time or do you have to pass certain stages first? Even if I fail this year I’d like to feel I got to have a whirl at most of the stages to ensure when I applied again I would be okay.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tashbash

Thanks so much for ur reply! I was just so worried when I realised what it could mean.

Tolerance level? Is that like if you took them everyday? I didn’t think the SMT would be any time soon just really don’t want to fail on anything I can control if that makes sense.

Generally what’s the time frame like when you move to managed stages? Does it all kind of happen at the same time or do you have to pass certain stages first? Even if I fail this year I’d like to feel I got to have a whirl at most of the stages to ensure when I applied again I would be okay.

Thanks again!

Don't worry about the SMT, Codeine is legal you're allowed to take it. The SMT man will ask what you've taken recently but he won't ask why. The PSNI won't be given the list of drugs you tell him. As long as you've taken a normal dosage of legal drugs it won't flag at all. He even told me if theres something you've taken and you realise you forgot to tell him it will still be fine as long as its the correct dosage.

You have to pass your PCA first before the medical, my 1810 campaign I was around 400 on the merit list, found that out in May and my PCA was in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Squill123

Hi guys- does anybody know what the medical test outcome would be towards anxiety and depression history/ medication in previous years? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Haz1612

Have my AC coming up next week but haven’t got any email about details for the location yet, should I be worried or do they usually only give a 5-6 days notice?

Haz1612 wrote: »
    Have my AC coming up next week but haven’t got any email about details for the location yet, should I be worried or do they usually only give a 5-6 days notice?

Yes, they only give out details a few days beforehand

• Advertisement

Haz1612 wrote: »

No I wouldn't worry you will get it I got mine a just under a week before, if it ran on to like 4 days I would maybe think about giving them an email

Advertisement