Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

Not too bad actually. Can’t give out much info but it wasn’t as terrifying as I thought it would be. Apply common sense and make good notes. Although not sure how well I did

That's the common theme among people who have done it - not having any idea how well they have done, it seems to be baked in. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Yukuza2008

Anyone else done the AC yet? Had mine yesterday

How did it go? You think you did well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 2002candidate

Not too bad actually. Can’t give out much info but it wasn’t as terrifying as I thought it would be. Apply common sense and make good notes. Although not sure how well I did

I know you can't give away too much information but was there an interview? It doesn't actually say whether or not there is in the briefing but I've heard from those who've done the AC before that there was an interview

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tashbash

I know you can't give away too much information but was there an interview? It doesn't actually say whether or not there is in the briefing but I've heard from this who've done the AC before that there was an interview

I did the 1810 AC and theres no interview. It's 3 roleplays, two written plans and one computer based report.

Tashbash wrote: »
    I did the 1810 AC and theres no interview. It's 3 roleplays, two written plans and one computer based report.

Perfect! I've prepared for the roleplays but not too sure on the plans and report. Any advice on what to expect with them?

• Advertisement

Perfect! I've prepared for the roleplays but not too sure on the plans and report. Any advice on what to expect with them?

I'm honestly not sure how much i'm allowed to say.
    The written plan is what you want to ask/find out in your roleplay based on the background reading they give you on the day. You get to take it in with you and you can read off it.
    Write as much down as possible and keep it tidy as they score it.

The report is looking to see how good your computer skills are. Don't worry about getting the right answer. As long as you have something sensible that you can justify and its spelled and formatted correctly you should be fine.

Tashbash wrote: »
    I'm honestly not sure how much i'm allowed to say.
    The written plan is what you want to ask/find out in your roleplay based on the background reading they give you on the day. You get to take it in with you and you can read off it.
    Write as much down as possible and keep it tidy as they score it.

The report is looking to see how good your computer skills are. Don't worry about getting the right answer. As long as you have something sensible that you can justify and its spelled and formatted correctly you should be fine.

Thank you!
    Hoping it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Newbieee

These boards are monitored. I’d be careful what you post on board and PM

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PSNIhopeful1

To anyone who's already done their AC:

The PSNI provided guidance in relation to COVID. It was the standard, social distancing and hand hygiene but at the bottom it said they won't be providing PPE to candidates.

Does this mean that masks are required but they won't be provided? Did anyone wear a mask during their AC?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Irishman84!

I dont think it went overly well. But i thought that the last time I did an AC and ended up getting 64 so hard to tell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Flash_93

Are we each given an indication on the day of how we performed or is it just sit and wait for an email few months/weeks later?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wyl91

Flash_93 wrote: »
    Are we each given an indication on the day of how we performed or is it just sit and wait for an email few months/weeks later?

No indication I’m afraid just said they would be in touch soon but who knows what that means really

• Registered Users Posts: 15 YamDiv6N

They gave no indication what they’d be in touch about... unless its a feedback form on the experience or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 peters1987

Some stats regarding this campaign...

6879 applied

2783 passed the IST

of which 2651 are progressing to assessment centre after providing satisfactory evidence of qualifications

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Xxx1234

peters1987 wrote: »

6879 applied

2783 passed the IST

of which 2651 are progressing to assessment centre after providing satisfactory evidence of qualifications

Interesting to know that. Roughly how many people do they take past the assessment centre

• Registered Users Posts: 6 peters1987

Suppose it depends if you meet the pass mark or not whether you progress however there will be ones that don't attend. I've heard that the figure goes down to almost 1200 after AC and then there will be recruitment of 600 from that pool as there will be people who fail the PCA, vetting, medicals etc and maybe those who can't proceed for personal reasons.

Interesting the cull of 7000 down to nearly 2800 in one stage!

Xxx1234 wrote: »
    Interesting to know that. Roughly how many people do they take past the assessment centre

Only 1550 attended the 1810 AC, 2433 were invited
    Merit list was 1050 people

Suppose it depends if you meet the pass mark or not whether you progress however there will be ones that don't attend. I've heard that the figure goes down to almost 1200 after AC and then there will be recruitment of 600 from that pool as there will be people who fail the PCA, vetting, medicals etc and maybe those who can't proceed for personal reasons.

Interesting the cull of 7000 down to nearly 2800 in one stage!

I'd love to see a breakdown of how many fail at which post- AC stages and how many drop out after passing the AC. I mean, I could submit an FOI but with COVID, it'd probably be the 2022 campaign before I got an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

MrChew wrote: »
    I'd love to see a breakdown of how many fail at which post- AC stages and how many drop out after passing the AC. I mean, I could submit an FOI but with COVID, it'd probably be the 2022 campaign before I got an answer.

Seems to be roughly 40% of the ML fail one of the psni managed stages or just drop out. For 1810 234 withdrew before AC date and 6 attended AC and then withdrew while 649 failed to attend without notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

6879 applied

2783 passed the IST

Just over 1:4 chance of getting in going by your figures and the recruitment drive for 600 new recruits!

Hopefully all on here that are going the extra mile get accepted.

I have my training with no tomato in 3weeks time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Nb1234

Belfast86 wrote: »
    Just over 1:4 chance of getting in going by your figures and the recruitment drive for 600 new recruits!

Hopefully all on here that are going the extra mile get accepted.

I have my training with no tomato in 3weeks time!!

Good luck, the boys at no 🅒s are great

Is there any chance the results date will be sooner than what we were told? Also will they be doing fast tracking for the 2002 campaign? if so how is it decided and when would it be expected to happen?

Is there any chance the results date will be sooner than what we were told? Also will they be doing fast tracking for the 2002 campaign? if so how is it decided and when would it be expected to happen?

It says that they reserve the right to advance groups of candidates through to the next stages, meaning that it is possible people will get their results ahead of the posted date.

I'm not aware of any formal indication that fast tracking will be happening, but then I'm not aware that advance notice of fast tracking being given in previous campaigns. It might just be something we find out about if/when it happens. Previously, it seems that fasttracked people have been notified in the couple of months following their AC, though I vaguely recall fasttracked people participating in much earlier competitions saying that they received their results mere weeks after their AC. However, with COVID and the resulting backlog, I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

Overall, it is better to plan for the results date being the one you have been told and treat fast tracking as a possible bonus.

MrChew wrote: »
    It says that they reserve the right to advance groups of candidates through to the next stages, meaning that it is possible people will get their results ahead of the posted date.

I'm not aware of any formal indication that fast tracking will be happening, but then I'm not aware that advance notice of fast tracking being given in previous campaigns. It might just be something we find out about if/when it happens. Previously, it seems that fasttracked people have been notified in the couple of months following their AC, though I vaguely recall fasttracked people participating in much earlier competitions saying that they received their results mere weeks after their AC. However, with COVID and the resulting backlog, I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

Overall, it is better to plan for the results date being the one you have been told and treat fast tracking as a possible bonus.

Thank you. It’s a very long wait but it’s one worth making. Bad year to apply because it takes much longer than previous campaigns, which might result in people dropping out. Either way i’ll sit with my fingers crossed for 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stevob7

Is there still a re-sit of the IST at the Accessment Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bafta12

stevob7 wrote: »
    Is there still a re-sit of the IST at the Accessment Centre?

Yes there is, but it’s just for verification purposes to ensure your results don’t vary massively (as in someone was sitting doing it for you)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bafta12

With the 1710 campaign the fast track was totally new to most, no one knew it would even be the case until people posted on the board about it. So yeah, I personally believe there might be a fast track due to what I’ve heard from people in the job. They need officers. But can’t be certain, just aim for results in December and anything before that is a huge bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stevob7

Bafta12 wrote: »
    Yes there is, but it’s just for verification purposes to ensure your results don’t vary massively (as in someone was sitting doing it for you)

Thanks, so does this mean the score of the IST re-test will not be included in your overall Accessment Centre Score?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sharon1986

Apparently IST isn't being retested this time around due to covid restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭NeeNaw21

When we were fast tracked in 1810 they did not give us our results just progressed us to PCA. You will get the results same time as everyone else

Advertisement