Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭penutzimes

StrangerIn wrote: »
    Hi folks, i have a quick question to any of you who'd been through the recruitment process before. Will I fail if I smoked a joint around Christmas time? I'm not a regular smoker, just the casual type who can have a puff, maybe once a year. I was at a social gathering in December 2019, was on the drink. Went outside for a smoke and smell the stuff . Went to the person and drew few puffs from his cigarette. The thing is, I don't want to go through the remaining stages knowing that I will fail the medical assessment, which cost money to the state.

TY

You seem to have got yourself a bit of a predicament here, you have applied to join the police yet on occasion you have been involved in criminal behavior. I would suggest you do some deep thinking if this is the right career for you as you have a light view of cannibis you are probably going to be prone to overlook or turn the other eye at such things if you become a police officer if criminals get to know of it they could use that knowledge to blackmail/bribe you and you will be in a serious position then. We all make mistakes however and you could still rid yourself of this and be 100% done with any involvement with drugs and possibly continue with your application. However it is up to you, you have to be fully committed to leave that life behind for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 StrangerIn

penutzimes wrote: »
    You seem to have got yourself a bit of a predicament here, you have applied to join the police yet on occasion you have been involved in criminal behavior. I would suggest you do some deep thinking if this is the right career for you as you have a light view of cannibis you are probably going to be prone to overlook or turn the other eye at such things if you become a police officer if criminals get to know of it they could use that knowledge to blackmail/bribe you and you will be in a serious position then. We all make mistakes however and you could still rid yourself of this and be 100% done with any involvement with drugs and possibly continue with your application. However it is up to you, you have to be fully committed to leave that life behind for good.

Thanks for the note. I can assure you the commitment has been there ever since I've submitted my application in February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Couldn't agree more with Treddy.

You do realise its the police you are applying for, yet you openly admit to taking illegal drugs on an open online forum? The police do not need idiots like you. I hope you don't get in as it will undermine the public confidence.

I guess you will just miss off your mates address when you are sent out to arrest the local drug dealers???

You said you never bought it, just took off other people? So you are a leach too, the worst sort IMO.

You said "integrity prevails", this ragged my nut, I hope you say about this on your vetting forms if you get that far.

Mate you need to reconsider your application and do the right thing for us all.

Maybe you should have done the right thing for us all and stayed a lurker, we don't need name callers on this forum. Don't get me wrong I'm 100% against all illegal drugs including weed and would never do it myself but which one of us on here haven't made a mistake. As long as he recognises his mistake stops doing it and puts it down on his vetting forms then hopefully it shouldn't stop him getting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 The ting goes skrra

NornIron74 wrote: »
    Maybe you should have done the right thing for us all and stayed a lurker, we don't need name callers on this forum. Don't get me wrong I'm 100% against all illegal drugs including weed and would never do it myself but which one of us on here haven't made a mistake. As long as he recognises his mistake stops doing it and puts it down on his vetting forms then hopefully it shouldn't stop him getting in.

Not sorry for calling someone out to be honest. And no, it takes people to call stuff like this out, glad I am not a lurker anymore.

One thing I would call into doubt is, if you condone the appointment of a police constable that has openly admitted on a public forum to RECENT criminal activity. I know I wouldn't want to work with such a liability, would you? seriously?

I honestly don't think the public would accept this person to enforce the law. They may pick and choose what laws to enforce (I am talking in general terms and not directed at anyone in particular :))

Thankfully it is not down to this forum to decide who gets in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rhino100

Hi all,
    This is my first time applying for the PSNI and have recently stumbled upon this board so decided to join :).

Passed the IST and got an email telling me my education evidence was sufficient, thus I will be progressing to the AC!.

I seemingly have one problem though, and thats meeting the 6/36 unaided vision acuity test during the medical exam (if I even get that far!), my eyesight is really pathetic without glasses or contacts and have been reading that quite a few people here have had laser eye surgery. Anyone care to share their experience with this and how long from consultation to actually getting the surgery? also id be weary about spending much more than £3000 just to be told I was too far down the merit list for any real chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 maestro54

Hi folks,

First time applying this year and got word that I passed my IST and my education information was sufficient so onto the AC, some great information is posted here and has helped to ease my nerves slightly😂

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Si_zx10r

maestro54 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

First time applying this year and got word that I passed my IST and my education information was sufficient so onto the AC, some great information is posted here and has helped to ease my nerves slightly��

Happy days, it has helped me too, reading back through some of the previous years etc gives you some insight as to what to expect at each stage. Hopefully we can all encourage and support each other and provide updates as to how we are getting along after all, some of us will likely be training together if we make it that far. A/C is the big one for most, apply common sense and core competencies and you'll do fine. Remember you'll be serving the whole community, not just the do gooders lol good luck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,663 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator:

It's not the 'calling someone out' that's being objected to here, it's the name calling. We don't allow people to start calling each other names on this forum because it can get out of control very quickly.

This applies to everyone.

Thanks,

Shield.
    Not sorry for calling someone out to be honest. And no, it takes people to call stuff like this out, glad I am not a lurker anymore.

One thing I would call into doubt is, if you condone the appointment of a police constable that has openly admitted on a public forum to RECENT criminal activity. I know I wouldn't want to work with such a liability, would you? seriously?

I honestly don't think the public would accept this person to enforce the law. They may pick and choose what laws to enforce (I am talking in general terms and not directed at anyone in particular :))

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

rhino100 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    This is my first time applying for the PSNI and have recently stumbled upon this board so decided to join :).

Passed the IST and got an email telling me my education evidence was sufficient, thus I will be progressing to the AC!.

I seemingly have one problem though, and thats meeting the 6/36 unaided vision acuity test during the medical exam (if I even get that far!), my eyesight is really pathetic without glasses or contacts and have been reading that quite a few people here have had laser eye surgery. Anyone care to share their experience with this and how long from consultation to actually getting the surgery? also id be weary about spending much more than £3000 just to be told I was too far down the merit list for any real chance.

Hi pal. Like you I am in a similar position.

I passed the IST and qualifications evidence but I have a lazy left eye.

I have 6/5 vision on my good eye and and my bad eye is with contacts/glasses 6/24

I read you need 6/12 with both eyes unaided. My bad eye is 6/60 without glasses.

I am looking into eye surgery after this pandemic is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rhino100

Seems like a standard thing a lot of applicants go through from reading this forum, hopefully if we do get the surgery it wont be for nothing lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Lol police officer's are human beings. The fact he has been open and honest shows a quality demanded of police officers which is integrity.

As longs as his SMT is clear when that time comes there is nothing wrong. Plenty a peeler have had a puff in their youth.

Although what I would say is that of you get further in this process and you have mates who do partake in this activity it's time to bin those folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FrmOutsideN.I

Hi folks, newbie on here. Came across the group while looking for more info. I'm a first time applicant from the south and as of now, I've been successful in my application, progressing ahead slowly.

I know there are more hurdles to come. As a young family person, I believe it's time to plan ahead, in case I pass the other stages and get the call, which is still a long shot away. Would be great if anyone could help with the below:

1. Would you advise renting and living close to your place of work?

2. Let's say I get placed in one of the Belfast stations. Which postcodes would you feel safe as an officer?

3. Apartment or house?

4. AC (for someone who's been through before) What type of scenario can we anticipate?

Responses which might give away privacy and be a security concern can be PM'd, of course.

Thank you.

Hi folks, newbie on here. Came across the group while looking for more info. I'm a first time applicant from the south and as of now, I've been successful in my application, progressing ahead slowly.

I know there are more hurdles to come. As a young family person, I believe it's time to plan ahead, in case I pass the other stages and get the call, which is still a long shot away. Would be great if anyone could help with the below:

2. Let's say I get placed in one of the Belfast stations. Which postcodes would you feel safe as an officer?

3. Apartment or house?

4. AC (for someone who's been through before) What type of scenario can we anticipate?

Responses which might give away privacy and be a security concern can be PM'd, of course.

Thank you.

Hi welcome

I would strongly advise against living close to your work I would like to be at least half an hour away from it so you don't run into anybody you have come across in your duties and it would be harder for somebody to track you

I can't say any postcodes but I would be looking about 30mins away as stated

Definitely a house strongly recommended one with a garage and a private as possible driveway so you can do your checks without anybody seeing

It's a few role plays and written elements to it nobody that has been through it can give specifics unfortunately

3. Apartment or house?

Thank you.

Just to add to what Penutzimes has said
    1. You would be best to choose a different district to the one that you live in so you are less likely to run into people that you know.
    4. Can't be specific because at AC you have to sign a NDA but think of scenarios that a policeman would typically be involved in and how you would act, what you would say/ask

Depends entirely on you district and station's specific threat level. Plenty of peelers live and work in the same district.

As for AC, basically just be a decent human being and act the way you'd expect a peeler to act and treat them the way you'd expect to be treated

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stevob7

Does anyone know what information you have to supply for the personal finance check? E.g. a credit rating evidence, bank statements etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SMS19

stevob7 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what information you have to supply for the personal finance check? E.g. a credit rating evidence, bank statements etc.

You don't need to provide anything to start with, recruitment will just credit check you. They may then ask you for more information after that.

SMS19 wrote: »
    You don't need to provide anything to start with, recruitment will just credit check you. They may then ask you for more information after that.

If you're from down south then you have to give the psni an Irish credit bureau reference but up here you don't have to do anything.

stevob7 wrote: »

For vetting you will need to contact the ICB and ask them to send out in the post your credit report, it's free. Then just include it with your vetting forms.

• Advertisement

For vetting you will need to contact the ICB and ask them to send out in the post your credit report, it's free. Then just include it with your vetting forms.

Knew a person who was going through the process but they never had to get a copy of their credit report and send it off with the forms, is this new? surely thats something they would obtain themselves?
    This was relatively recently too

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JC12250

JC12250 wrote: »

Yea seen a similar article in the BBC, its a high stress high demand role we are applying for

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Si_zx10r

Hopefully when restrictions are lifted, they get the ball rolling again on the 2020 recruitment drive. Fingers crossed something changes soon and we get our assessment centre dates, seems staffing levels are a big issue at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JC12250

With the current situation I’m hoping the 2020 recruitment is sped up once restrictions are lifted because it does seem they are struggling with boots on the ground at present

Knew a person who was going through the process but they never had to get a copy of their credit report and send it off with the forms, is this new? surely thats something they would obtain themselves?

this is only for non UK applicants

This was a continuation of my previous post, this guy that had to do it was from down south, UK residents don't have to do it.

This was a continuation of my previous post, this guy that had to do it was from down south, UK residents don't have to do it.

Apologies hadnt read it correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Andimaul

Hi all,

I'm currently using the time we have on lock down to study the core competencies and use whatever resources I can to prepare for the AC.

I was wondering what people are doing to study and how people are preparing for the role play and written tests?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

There is no written test. Read the briefing document. Studying the core compatencies probably isn't going to help you really as there is no traditional interview

Advertisement