Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭penutzimes

Si_zx10r wrote: »
    Another 3 weeks of lockdown in NI which takes us into June, will it ever end? lol supposedly they are going to start relaxing certain things over the next few weeks. I see more businesses opening up again etc which is good, hopefully the economy starts moving again before everyone goes insane. What's everyone been doing to keep themselves sane? Xbox and bike for me although bust a fork seal on Sunday so needs left into mechanic before I can use it again :(

It sure has been a long wait maybe if all this did not happen the AC could be nearly finished by June! I am using this time to prepare for the PCA getting my fitness up as I know I need to improve that

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭W221

Treddy wrote: »
    Is that normal? Did you have some sort of special circumstances like living abroad for a long period of time or does it just take ages for some people for no reason?

Nah, I would say mine took an unusually long time.

I’m self employed and have a large amount of outgoings relating to this. I also had a CCJ for a very small amount which arose from a silly argument with a supplier I used a while ago over missing items I wouldn’t pay for.

They were concerned about me being able to keep this up as a student officer but once I’d pointed out that these outgoings go away when I commence training they were happy enough.

So I guess if you have financial trouble such as a CCJ, defaults and so on I would advise that you clear them as soon as you can. This is definitely going to hold you up.

Another 3 weeks of lockdown in NI which takes us into June, will it ever end? lol supposedly they are going to start relaxing certain things over the next few weeks. I see more businesses opening up again etc which is good, hopefully the economy starts moving again before everyone goes insane. What's everyone been doing to keep themselves sane? Xbox and bike for me although bust a fork seal on Sunday so needs left into mechanic before I can use it again :(

My work has dried up sadly so I’m farting about fixing my cars and making picnic tables 🀣

I have a couple of bikes I could get stuck in to too but haven’t bothered yet.

Don't know if the new guidelines released by stormont will do anything to start the recruitment process up again or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Boobysingleton

Alright folks.

Great to see all those have passed the ist. Long and hair pulling journey has begun.

Hang in there.

Waiting on a call myself.

Any questions

Hit reply below.

No dms.. Its a public forum. Let's keep it like that

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Si_zx10r

The whole covid 19 thing is quite worrying for the economy. The way they are talking, be lucky if the 2020 a/c are done this year and the whole thing not scrapped. Must be very worrying times for a alot of folk in NI at the minute, alot of jobs going to be lost by the looks of things. I am in a fortunate position myself at present but that's not to say that wont change over the next few months given that they are only hoping to be at stage 5 by December :eek:

The whole covid 19 thing is quite worrying for the economy. The way they are talking, be lucky if the 2020 a/c are done this year and the whole thing not scrapped. Must be very worrying times for a alot of folk in NI at the minute, alot of jobs going to be lost by the looks of things. I am in a fortunate position myself at present but that's not to say that wont change over the next few months given that they are only hoping to be at stage 5 by December :eek:

Aye its not a great situation the only comfort is knowing there will always be a need for police officers just impossible to know how things will work out

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gonzo94

I like to think that something has to give some time. Like it is a police recruitment at the end of the day. Its pretty important. But I can also see how the Covid-19 effect on the economy could throw things up in the air for the campaigns. I would like to see PCAs and Medicals for the 2018 campaign start back soon. I think they could be easily managed. Surely there can't be many more PCAs and medicals to do for the 2018 campaign. I suppose we all just have to stay hopeful. Maybe ACs will happen when office type workers and others start returning to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nhs2018

Alright folks.

Great to see all those have passed the ist. Long and hair pulling journey has begun.

Hang in there.

Waiting on a call myself.

Any questions

Hit reply below.

No dms.. Its a public forum. Let's keep it like that

Thanks

Your waiting on a call from 1810???

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭NeeNaw21

The money has already been paid that's what the tender process is about. Unlikely 2002 campaign be scrapped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Boobysingleton

Yes @nhs2018 1810

Are you a nurse.. If you are ur doing a great job

Well done

I'm clapping for you an all ur colleagues

Hopefully there is some movement on things come June time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Treddy

I really can't see them scrapping the recruitment. There are and will be delays, but they need more officers on the streets now even more than before this all kicked off. Other police forces are still recruiting in the rest of the country, so I can't see how they could scrap this intake. However if it drags out for too long, I imagine they'll lose out on fair amount of quality recruits who need to put food on the table and will go off and commit to other work.

Treddy wrote: »
    I really can't see them scrapping the recruitment. There are and will be delays, but they need more officers on the streets now even more than before this all kicked off. Other police forces are still recruiting in the rest of the country, so I can't see how they could scrap this intake. However if it drags out for too long, I imagine they'll lose out on fair amount of quality recruits who need to put food on the table and will go off and commit to other work.

Nah they’ll not scrap it now, 1810 will be all done and dusted by the new year too. I reckon 2002 is being held up not only for corona but also to accommodate the delay in 1810. Suppose there could be some fast track 2002 towards the end of this year if they hold the AC in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MUFC1

Am in the 1810 crew.. they will not scrap the recruitment in my opinion, it has cost to much money thus far, am waiting now 16 months, its a long slow process, my advice is keep yourself in the mix, 16 months to 24 months is going to pass anyway if your on the ML or not, give yourself options, it is frustrating, try stay positive never know they may try fast track the 2020 group.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Robbie200490

Is this anyone's first attempt? Or how many times have people tried? I'm trying to keep myself level headed but think I'm getting my hopes up too much. The more I read about the training and what's involved the more I want to get through

Hi Robbie,

Its my 2nd time, i applied years ago but my head wasn't in it at the time. I don't think it matters how many times, I have quite a few friends in psni, some got in 1st time and others got in on 2nd, 3rd attempt. One was going through the process for the 3rd time but got called up from his second application and hasn't looked back since. Basically all my friends love their job but it is by no means an easy task.

I've learnt not to build my hopes up to much after I got on waiting list for a job as a full time fire fighter, sitting in 10th place and then the list got scrapped but hey ho life goes on lol

If I pass A/C, I will be quietly confident of passing the remaining stages but it is a long process unless you ace the A/C which some on here have done.

A mate applied Oct 17, passed A/C around 580 on list and didn't start college until April 19, even a decent A/C and it could take 18 months before you start but worth it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 vhue30gnyzfj4b

Is this anyone's first attempt? Or how many times have people tried? I'm trying to keep myself level headed but think I'm getting my hopes up too much. The more I read about the training and what's involved the more I want to get through

This is my first attempt! I’ve been in the same career my whole life and over the last year and a half I’ve been desperate to get into the police. I’m in the same boat with getting my hopes up lol. You just need to remember this isn’t the only recruitment they’ll hold and if you stick at it and put the work in the chances are you will get it eventually, as it’s been said above I know people who have got in 1st attempt and I also know people who have got in on their 3rd or 4th. Congrats on passing the ist because that thins the herd a lot, that should give you a boost!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Robbie200490

Hey guys

Yeah this is my 3rd attempt, first time I failed IST by 1 mark on the 1710 intake, and the 1810 I sent away the application but decided to use all my efforts into getting into my current job instead (needed better life stability as I was a chef previously, so found it hard to get into good routines for fitness and studying) happier now in the new job so better mentally and physically than I was chefing. And if I do fail at any point then I still have a good job so won't be as hard of a fall than missing that mark in the previous tests.

I've experienced the long waits and agonising progress like this one before as I was in the armed forces and it was a smooth enjoyable process but was worth it in the end. Its why I am looking forward/hopeful of getting this job and that way of life was great and want to be apart of it again.

Best of luck everyone! Hopefully we all get through it 🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

This is possibly my 6/7 time. Honestly I have lost count.

Finally passed the IST and eager to get the AC over with!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

I first applied in 1710 but failed the IST by 5 marks, currently waiting on a call to start in the 1810 campaign but I had applied for 2002 as a safety net. So I have applied 3 times but only needed the 2 to get all the way. There have been people that have applied in the double digits but the majority only need to apply a couple of times, if you want the job enough you will get it just a matter of learning from your mistakes.

I'm the same as NornIron74. I applied in 2017 and failed the IST by 1 mark. I applied again in 2018 and I'm currently on the list. I'm one of the few unfortunate ones still waiting on a rescheduled medical date and vetting coming through.

Ive also applied for the 2020 campaign as a backup. But I'm hoping I don't need that campaign.

All the best folks.

maybe people 18/10 and 20/02 campaign over the next few weeks with government starting to relax restrictions imposed. Nothing to stop things moving forward with Social Distancing in place.

maybe people 18/10 and 20/02 campaign over the next few weeks with government starting to relax restrictions imposed. Nothing to stop things moving forward with Social Distancing in place.
    Fingers crossed haha. It's a bit of a kick in the privates when you see Garden centres and golfing being given the go ahead.

Quite a few I have heard now have sat the 2002 campaign that are on the ML for the 1810. I hope you all get in guys/girls. For 2 reasons - 1. It’s well deserved and 2. Less people in the 2002 AC campaign:)

hahaha, it will likely be the case, they should all get the long awaited letter very soon, my mate was saying they are really under staffed at the minute and need more recruits badly which is a positive for all involved. Just hope i pass A/C myself when it comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Letter? There's no letter. It's a telephone call to accept the offer then admin paperwork is posted out

Lol close enough, you know what I meant :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Belfast86 wrote: »
    Quite a few I have heard now have sat the 2002 campaign that are on the ML for the 1810. I hope you all get in guys/girls. For 2 reasons - 1. It’s well deserved and 2. Less people in the 2002 AC campaign:)

That's exactly what us 1810 folk said about the ones in 1710 who applied for 1810 :D

• Advertisement

[HTML][/HTML]
    NornIron74 wrote: »
    That's exactly what us 1810 folk said about the ones in 1710 who applied for 1810 :D

I hope I’m in your position next year then.

Advertisement