Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

Si_zx10r wrote: »
    if you take that number along with the number that didnt bother actually doing followed by the number that dont turn up to assessment centre, everyones chances are good. My friend in psni said, apply common sense and you will be fine, so many people going in a try to come across as the finished article which isn't what they are looking for. the pass rate for Assessment centre is higher than the IST so you are probably right in what you are saying.

ive fell short of the assessment centre last time in the 1710 recruitment by a few marks, although i know where i messed up on and ready this time.
    in my opinion theres a level of luck when doing the IST, to a degree anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CoAntrim24

Just a quick questions folks,

So I have heard the PSNI are looking to appoint 600 individuals, however there are still people who are on the merit list from the last recruitment campaign, I have read people being 500 on the merit list and then others around 1000 on the merit list (previous campaign)

Will the PSNI look to exhaust those lists before seeing to appoint any of those who apply during this recruitment process? Therefore it’s not 600 they are looking to appoint but could be way less.

If this is confusing I apologise, hope everyone is keeping safe in the meantime.

Just a quick questions folks,

So I have heard the PSNI are looking to appoint 600 individuals, however there are still people who are on the merit list from the last recruitment campaign, I have read people being 500 on the merit list and then others around 1000 on the merit list (previous campaign)

Will the PSNI look to exhaust those lists before seeing to appoint any of those who apply during this recruitment process? Therefore it’s not 600 they are looking to appoint but could be way less.

If this is confusing I apologise, hope everyone is keeping safe in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gonzo94

I think the 600 number applies to the 2020 campaign.

They should exhaust the previous merit list or be near to exhausting it before anyone from the 2020 is appointable. That's how it usually goes. some 2020 fast trackers (those do extremely well at the ac) will possibly be in classes with those who are at the very end of the 2018 merit list.

Someone else on here might be better informed to tell you.

Gonzo94 wrote: »
    I think the 600 number applies to the 2020 campaign.

They should exhaust the previous merit list or be near to exhausting it before anyone from the 2020 is appointable. That's how it usually goes. some 2020 fast trackers (those do extremely well at the ac) will possibly be in classes with those who are at the very end of the 2018 merit list.

Someone else on here might be better informed to tell you.

Thanks for the reply mate, so essentially they won’t be included in the 600 spaces that they have available now? This recruitment drive is completely new and the last recruitment process isn’t included in the numbers for this one?

Again sorry if I come across as confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Si_zx10r

Theres information under psni recruitment news. Theres less than 350 ppl still on 2018 merit list. Fair number of people stumble at the psni managed stages, some pull out and some fail at one of the 5 final stages. Theres still work to do if you get on merit list, nothing is certain until you have an offer in your hand.

CoAntrim24 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply mate, so essentially they won’t be included in the 600 spaces that they have available now? This recruitment drive is completely new and the last recruitment process isn’t included in the numbers for this one?

Again sorry if I come across as confusing.
    Well I've read in the 2020 campaign news articles that they are looking 600 recruits from that campaign. So Ive just assumed from reading that. I could be wrong though and there might be others on here that will be able to inform you better than I can.

As Si_zx10r said anyone can fail at any stage. So if you get on the merit list just remember that the final number won't be 1053 (or whatever 2020 merit list will be) come the end of it. Stay focused on the next hurdle. It can be a long process so prepare yourself for that. I'm on the 2018 merit list and not yet appointable.

The IST in my opinion is the hardest test. There's a great deal of luck involved in that as someone else has said. At the assessment centre I was just myself and showed empathy and asked a load of questions. When I asked serving officers for tips that's the two things they told me lol. You'll be grand. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭NeeNaw21

The "600 recruits" number is the an arbitrary number derived from the need to have a number to use for the tender process.

And considering that merit lists are live longer than 1 finanicial year i wouldn't think about it as only "600" people if that makes sense.

They will take from the merit lists until they run outta money

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

i would not worry about the numbers of how many people they take in, as far as im aware most of the recent campaigns they have exhausted the lists, int was only in the older recruitment processes, people of lower score got the "dear johns" and binned

Anyone went on one of these A/C courses? are they worth doing and any idea of the cost to attend one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Anyone went on one of these A/C courses? are they worth doing and any idea of the cost to attend one?

they are great, pricey though PM me for the one to avoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

I went on one, it cost £150 but it was worth every penny as I passed.

NornIron74 wrote: »
    I went on one, it cost £150 but it was worth every penny as I passed.

Think I'll do the same, will be worth it in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Yukuza2008

Could anybody that’s attended one of the AC course give me a PM with which one to attend please?!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Andimaul

Yukuza2008 wrote: »
    Could anybody that’s attended one of the AC course give me a PM with which one to attend please?!

If someone could extend me the same courtesy I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Robbie200490

Hey is anyone able to send me a PM about what courses are the best to take? I'm signed up to one at the minute, but if there is other ones I'd consider doing them too... Can't see it hurting to get as much practise and experience. Well apart from hurting my bank account anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 H147

I'd very much appreciate it if someone could PM me about the AC courses available and their recommendations? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭W221

Just bear in mind it is totally possible to pass the AC without any coaching. I’ve passed it twice on my own with a decent score. Once in 1509 which I withdrew from and once in 1810 in which I was successful at all managed stages.

W221 wrote: »
    Just bear in mind it is totally possible to pass the AC without any coaching. I’ve passed it twice on my own with a decent score. Once in 1509 which I withdrew from and once in 1810 in which I was successful at all managed stages.

Are you just waiting on an offer or have you started as yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭W221

Are you just waiting on an offer or have you started as yet?

Waiting on an offer currently

My vetting was an extremely protracted process, 38 weeks.

• Advertisement

Hopefully not too much longer for you to wait now. With this whole phased covid 19 thing being discussed today, the Feb 20 a/c isnt going to be going ahead for some time still 😭😭

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭penutzimes

Maybe we will know better later on today if ac will be happening any time soon

Foster says ni lockdown update will likely be tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Treddy

W221 wrote: »
    Waiting on an offer currently

My vetting was an extremely protracted process, 38 weeks.

Is that normal? Did you have some sort of special circumstances like living abroad for a long period of time or does it just take ages for some people for no reason?

Treddy wrote: »
    Is that normal? Did you have some sort of special circumstances like living abroad for a long period of time or does it just take ages for some people for no reason?
    it can vary depending on various things. The number of addresses you have lived at, number of family members, partner, ex partner, if you have lived in a different country etc.

My vetting has been away 20 weeks so far and I have a relatively small history to check compared to some. I have went through the vetting process for another psni role and that came back extremely fast. That vetting form had roughly the same amount of information as my police officer vetting forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

Quick question in regards to vetting - how many years of address history do you need to provide on vetting forms?
    I have had quite a few addresses from university and the years since and I want to make sure i have all the correct info to hand.

I think it's 5 years but Im not 100% sure. Someone else on here might know better. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

Gonzo94 wrote: »
    I think it's 5 years but Im not 100% sure. Someone else on here might know better. Sorry.

Thanks.

Best of luck for hearing some good news soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Quick question in regards to vetting - how many years of address history do you need to provide on vetting forms?
    I have had quite a few addresses from university and the years since and I want to make sure i have all the correct info to hand.

Yes Gonzo is correct it is 5 years, 10 years for job history.

• Advertisement

Another 3 weeks of lockdown in NI which takes us into June, will it ever end? lol supposedly they are going to start relaxing certain things over the next few weeks. I see more businesses opening up again etc which is good, hopefully the economy starts moving again before everyone goes insane. What's everyone been doing to keep themselves sane? Xbox and bike for me although bust a fork seal on Sunday so needs left into mechanic before I can use it again :(

Advertisement