Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will Jesus return?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

pearcider wrote: »
    You originally posted it’s highly highly unlikely he existed. As I pointed out your belief that Jesus was a mythical figure is in fact a fringe belief among academics much like vaccines causing autism. So you’re full of it basically as well as arrogant. I doubt you will be so arrogant on your deathbed.

As explained, I was saying that the Jesus of the Bible - highly unlikely he existed. Next to zero chance. As theres no evidence.

Maybe read about it outside of the first paragraph on wikipedia. If the Catholic church thought us about the historical Jesus in school instead of brain washing us as children the churches would be empty.

The New Testament is the only biographical reference we have and it is total fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You originally posted it’s highly highly unlikely he existed. As I pointed out your belief that Jesus was a mythical figure is in fact a fringe belief among academics much like vaccines causing autism. So you’re full of it basically as well as arrogant. I doubt you will be so arrogant on your deathbed.

AHH the old rattle the talisman on your deathbed trick, kinda boring at this stage, what next? The Jesus is everywhere hocus Pocus?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    AHH the old rattle the talisman on your deathbed trick, kinda boring at this stage, what next? The Jesus is everywhere hocus Pocus?

There's no atheists in the foxhole line.

I've no problem with anyone hedging their bets in such a stressful situation. You're hardly in your sane mind, so anything goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

Actually there was one event in the Bible that scientists have proven would have effected the Bible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

CoBo55 wrote: »

You'll all be sorry when you find out my version of an old story turns out to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You'll all be sorry when you find out my version of an old story turns out to be true.

Theres no evidence whatsoever for it. Never mind anything approaching proof.

Not for me thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I’m not sure who you think you are impressing but your childish arrogance is clear for all to see.

So tell me, do you believe in jesus as told about in the Bible?

Do you believe in God, an afterlife etc?

Just want to know what angle you are approaching this argument from.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I have nailed down the time to some day between next week and 49,783 A.D.

Don't mention the nails :mad:

You guys are so embroiled in your battle that you didn’t even see the message I left before did you. Lol. Carry on, I’ll wait

I'm sweating here, pass me that shroud..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Prince Andrew

I have spent a great deal of time speaking with him through the medium of prayer in the last few weeks, ever since the sudden death of a close and dear friend who I miss terribly.

Jesus has offered me great hope and solace in the last few weeks. I have felt very open and exposed and my ex wife, kids , my mummy ,my daddy and my brothers and sisters have been giving me very stern looks. I feel stupid and lost and alone.

I miss my friend and our long weekends away in his big house in New York and on his island in the West Indies.

I hope Jesus brings you the same sense of forgiveness and security he has given me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

0/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭randd1

Obviously the whole religion thing is complete and utter nonsense.

But in the off chance there is some supernatural weirdness going on, If Jesus did come back, I would like to ask the following questions;

1. Are you now afraid of crosses, and are you a bit worried for your safety because they're everywhere?
    2. Why did you have an Hispanic name when you were from a time before Spanish and lived in a completely different part of the world?
    3. Are you angry with your Dad for sending you down to get tortured to death? How's that relationship?
    4. Where were you between 18 & 30? It doesn't say anywhere. Did you study how to do magic tricks during this time?
    5. Why did your Dad routinely murder, order the murder of, and commit acts of genocide against people, and why are meant to be celebrating this?
    6. What's with religious beliefs being increasingly made redundant by science? Is mostly made up?
    7. Are you friends with other Gods, prophets and other deities?
    8. Given the holes in your hand from the previously mentioned being tortured to death, is it now easier to masturbate due to said holes?
    9. If your dad is all powerful and has the power to remake the world and all existence since it was created by him, why doesn't he intervene in things like natural disasters, child cancer, famine, plagues and war?
    10. Instead of loaves and fishes, can I have money and a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Jesus and his dad are one and the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

randd1 wrote: »
    Obviously the whole religion thing is complete and utter nonsense.
    Kind of, but....

It's more likely (than not) we are not alone in the Universe (even the little Milky Way), the odds would support that.

I.e. Based on Kepler space mission data, that there could be as many as 40 billion Earth-sized planets orbiting in the habitable zones of Sun-like stars and red dwarfs in the Milky Way. And that's but one Galazy in a near infinate Universe, made of many, many, many more.

Any other lifeform or inteligence would likely try to subtlely^ advise mankind from time to time, likely in our image, to establish basic principles/commandments and so on.

These 'visitor's' (from the sky/heavens) due to their clear advancement, would be of instant 'god' status and be able to manipulate energy to perform 'miracles' and appear 'all-knowing'.
    ^ as to not interfere with free will and so provide a learning experience.

Kind of, but....

It's more likely (than not) we are not alone in the Universe (even the little Milky Way), the odds would support that.

I.e. Based on Kepler space mission data, that there could be as many as 40 billion Earth-sized planets orbiting in the habitable zones of Sun-like stars and red dwarfs in the Milky Way. And that's but one Galazy in a near infinate Universe, made of many, many, many more.

Any other lifeform or inteligence would likely try to subtlely^ advise mankind from time to time, likely in our image, to establish basic principles/commandments and so on.

These 'visitor's' (from the sky/heavens) due to their clear advancement, would be of instant 'god' status and be able to manipulate energy to perform 'miracles' and appear 'all-knowing'.
    ^ as to not interfere with free will and so provide a learning experience.
    Possibly. But this is a statement based on scientific possibility, not supernatural assertions unlike religious belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Next Tuesday @3pm.

branie2 wrote: »

If that's the case, and he sent Jesus to be tortured to death, and by proxy sent himself to be tortured to death, and being all-knowing he knew what he was going to suffer...

Does that mean that God is into hard-core S&M?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Does that make Jesus a motherfcuker? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Nosnon wrote: »
    If your imaginary friend was born in the year 0 and allegedly died 33 years later then he's only been gone for 1986 years. Not 2019.

Don't knock imaginery friends. They're often more reliable than the ones you think are real!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Possibly. But this is a statement based on scientific possibility, not supernatural assertions unlike religious belief.
    It's probabilty, not possibly. Also that (40bn) is just based on conditions of one single Galaxy. The Universe is made up of billions of galaxies. The numbers are simply mammoth.

i) That there is more advanced life/inteligence 'out there'
    ii) If it visited earth, it would be seen as 'god' like, without any question.

Religious systems are simply the natural human experience of such events occuring either now, in the past, or the future. Subjective interpretation isn't science by nature, it's simply human comprehension of an experience.
    Then there's the question of good vs evil, if good can exist (in the plain sense, without reward), ergo so can evil.

Assuming J'C', and if he was to show up again, it will only occur when conditions are right. This would involve all the fire n brimstone stuff from the cheery book of revelations, and the 3rd or final 'absoloute' A'C'.

If that's the case, and he sent Jesus to be tortured to death, and by proxy sent himself to be tortured to death, and being all-knowing he knew what he was going to suffer...

Does that make Jesus a motherfcuker? :confused:

It's not called the ineffable plan for nothing. Enjoy eternal damnation!

BWAHAHAHAAA*cough* HAAAAAAHAAA

Makes no sense what so ever! But yeh ok

If god and Jesus truly are one and the same, then who was he asking why have you done this to me while he was on the cross! 😳. Was he talking to himself? If so does that qualify as a sign of madness, as I’ve always been told talking to yourself often is. Who was he the son of again? Himself? 😱. Does that also mean he put the fish in the basket so he could take the credit when so many fish were found? The plot deepens the more you question it. 🀪

Midster wrote: »
    If god and Jesus truly are one and the same, then who was he asking why have you done this to me while he was on the cross! 😳. Was he talking to himself? If so does that qualify as a sign of madness, as I’ve always been told talking to yourself often is. Who was he the son of again? Himself? 😱. Does that also mean he put the fish in the basket so he could take the credit when so many fish were found? The plot deepens the more you question it. 🀪

Vinegar poisoning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

The Nal wrote: »
    As explained, I was saying that the Jesus of the Bible - highly unlikely he existed. Next to zero chance. As theres no evidence.

Maybe read about it outside of the first paragraph on wikipedia. If the Catholic church thought us about the historical Jesus in school instead of brain washing us as children the churches would be empty.

The New Testament is the only biographical reference we have and it is total fiction.

Story about Jesus is loosely based around letters written by St Paul. He claimed, he met Jesus followers in Jersuleum 20 years after Jesus died. He also claimed he was was introduced to Jesus brother James.

There nothing to show he existed, thats false, Jesus ( was likely a priest) who had bunch of people following him around and listening to him give speeches.

It only suspicious when the stories claim he done magic tricks and rose from the dead after the Romans murdered him.

Tons of people can do magic, and tons of those are excellent and bringing in a bit of theatre with it.
    They believed in mythical beasts back then so a holy man doing there version of the cup trick, or the coin behind the ear trick would have been a huge wow! That guy must be something to do with god, right!!
    Plus, if Jesus really did rise from the dead, managed to escape the tomb from were he was supposed to be laying dead, walked around for a bit, then went and saw his buddies, and after then nobody saw him again. There wouldn’t be a grave, therefore no evidence anyway. He denied us the luxury of any evidence by taking his physical body back to heaven

Story about Jesus is loosely based around letters written by St Paul. He claimed, he met Jesus followers in Jersuleum 20 years after Jesus died. He also claimed he was was introduced to Jesus brother James.

There nothing to show he existed, thats false, Jesus ( was likely a priest) who had bunch of people following him around and listening to him give speeches.

It only suspicious when the stories claim he done magic tricks and rose from the dead after the Romans murdered him.

So were is this mystery letter???

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Illgetmycoat

When they bring the water bill back in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Sorry I missed your reply. I have already stated that the vast majority of scholars agree that Jesus existed. Whether you think he was a mad man or a bad man or the Son of man is entirely up to you. But I would say that the western world up until quite recently was devoutly Christian. And we owe everything to those people. Our ancestors who were decent and good. The obvious and precipitous decline of the western world is a result of us abandoning God. Events like the destruction of the Norte dame cathedral simply bring this into relief. The devout Christianity of our own republican heroes such as Terrence MacSweeny and Kevin Barry who gladly sacrificed themselves for our republic is lost on atheists such as yourself.

There are 322 prophecies concerning Jesus written in the Old Testament from 700 to 1000 years before his birth describing his birth, life, death, and resurrection. There were over 500 witnesses who saw his resurrected body. All his 12 disciples except John suffered horrible deaths for their belief yet never once denied Jesus and what they saw. Not once. None of the 500 witness ever went back and said it was all a fake. Christianity grew through spreading the message of love, redemption, and forgiveness.

But “modern” atheists like you don’t care about the truth. You only want to lead more lambs to the slaughter. We will see how long the kingdom of atheism lasts.

Advertisement