Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will Jesus return?

Options

Comments

Graces7 wrote: »
    These words are the guides and reason for living for my faith family and I. It is all we live and believe in and we give all for this sheer utter beauty.
    I'm an agnostic, but I think about Jesus as a beggar every day.

I went to a school where the concept of the Son of God as a destitute stranger was a core teaching. I wish I could say I manage to live my life by a Christian philosophy, but I know plenty of actual Christians and their genuine selflessness and compassion is a thing of beauty.

What really galls, however (and I know this annoys plenty of christians, too) are those who claim to be Christians, who seem to spend most of their time attacking the very people whom Jesus loved and befriended -- outcasts, the poor, criminals and the sick. That's why I think that scriptural verse about the Son of God living among us as a beggar is so important to christian faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

He's coming back to judge the Ultimate Crisp Competiton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

The Nal wrote: »
    No it isn't. Not as we know it anyway.

There may have been someone called Jesus that existed around that time but there's no evidence whatsoever that hes the Jesus of the new testament or the son of God.

Its very very very improbable.

We do know however that the New Testament is total fiction.

The vast majority of ancient historians agree he existed but I’m not really interested in debating whether he existed or not. I am far more intrigued by the signs and portents that are all around us that indicate we are at the end of the age of Homo sapiens. There is a book called the everything bubble which basically outlines how the US central bank has been continually blowing credit bubbles since it was founded and eventually the entire monetary system will implode. Once this happens, the only way out of the chaos will be a one world monetary system. This dovetails nicely with bible prophecy...a one world government would simply be inconceivable in ancient times and is only possible now that the internet has matured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Jesus needs to get his act together. Lucifer has been back loads of times.

Apparently, he rode a tank in a general's rank while the blitzkrieg raged and the bodies stank.

I mean, what an absolute cnut!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Deja Boo wrote: »
    He's coming back to judge the Ultimate Crisp Competiton.

Spiritual crisps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

topper75 wrote: »
    Jesus needs to get his act together. Lucifer has been back loads of times.

Apparently, he rode a tank in a general's rank while the blitzkrieg raged and the bodies stank.

I mean, what an absolute cnut!

And he shouted out “who killed the Kennedy’s”, but apparently it was you and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Jesus, isn't he fella who popularised the bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Come back and do what exactly ?? If he didn't come back when Hitler put 6 million Jews into gas chambers , Id find it hard to think what needs to happen then for him to come back .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Considering its highly highly unlikely that he existed in the first place, a return would be even more unlikely.

You need to read Josephus . A contemporary historian who refers to Jesus in his writings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Hes been back awhile.

https://youtu.be/FFJgyfIPD24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

" I am with you always"

He hasn't gone away, you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Berserker wrote: »
    Watched a program on the History channel or similar a while back, where Archaeologists researched this and whilst they don't believe that Nazareth existed, they believe that Jesus did exist. They cited the New Testament, Jewish passages and Roman passages as proof. Even the Rabbis who didn't like him, mentioned him in their passages and they claimed that he was a magician/con-artist, who was leading people astray.

The new Testament is proof of absolutely nothing apart from stories been written by people. Decades later and revised into centuries later.

The name Jesus occurs only seven times in the entire book, Christ only four times, and Jesus Christ only twice. The titles “According to Matthew,” etc., were not added until late in the second century.

The other 3 gospels plagiarise the gospel of Mark.
    You need to read Josephus . A contemporary historian who refers to Jesus in his writings.

Very familiar with him yeah. Josephus was apparently born in 37AD. And theres no proof he wrote the pieces about Jesus as claimed. Its at best partially authentic but very likely a later Christian forgery.

Josephus, a Jew, claiming Jesus as a messiah, in 93AD. Nah.

And thats it. All the evidence. The most flimsy historical evidence you'll see.

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    " I am with you always"

He hasn't gone away, you know!

I'm pretty sure he did go away... there was a cross and everything.

....so, how often are you seeing these invisible historic figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he did go away... there was a cross and everything.

....so, how often are you seeing these invisible historic figures?

Verily ,I say unto you, repent and buy thyself a motorcycle crash helmet. For I have witnessed horses in a parade ring. Horse-apples everywhere!

When he comes back, riding on a white horse,at twenty thousand feet, thou shalt remember my words!

Horse apples dropping from such a height shall only spare those who are faithful and prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

When he does come back I have a few questions about his c*nt of a dad murdering children with cancer and giving people dementia amongst other atrocities he commits in the name of some cop-out ineffable plan.

But yeah, two days after George R R Martin releases the last "A Song of Ice and Fire" book.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

He was a rabbi.

Was he a rabbi ??
    He was Jewish sure, but a Rabbi ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

He made a return 3 years ago but was eventually priced out of where he was renting. Pretty sure he's between hostels now.

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Verily ,I say unto you, repent and buy thyself a motorcycle crash helmet. For I have witnessed horses in a parade ring. Horse-apples everywhere!

When he comes back, riding on a white horse,at twenty thousand feet, thou shalt remember my words!

Horse apples dropping from such a height shall only spare those who are faithful and prepared!

He's a stunt pilot? and his flying reindeer horses didn't do their business before the big parade? :eek:

DUCK AND COVER!
    Goddamnit, I knew I was forgetting something, I girded my loins when I shoulda helmeted my head. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

It'll be at least a few weeks with a hamstring injury.

So, Aguero is nailed on in pep roulette for the moment.

Ipso wrote: »
    And he shouted out “who killed the Kennedy’s”, but apparently it was you and me.

Some claim by the bould Mick without any evidence.

• Advertisement

Was he a rabbi ??
    He was Jewish sure, but a Rabbi ??

Jesus is called Rabbi in conversation by Apostle Peter in Mark 9:5 and Mark 11:21, and by Mark 14:45 by Nathanael in John 1:49, where he is also called the Son of God in the same sentence. On several occasions, the disciples also refer to Jesus as Rabbi in the Gospel of John, e.g. 4:31, 6:25, 9:2 and 11:8.

I could be wrong - but the word might have had a broader meaning as 'teacher' rather than an official Jewish rabbi we know today. I honestly don't know - I wasn't there!

topper75 wrote: »
    Jesus is called Rabbi in conversation by Apostle Peter in Mark 9:5 and Mark 11:21, and by Mark 14:45 by Nathanael in John 1:49, where he is also called the Son of God in the same sentence. On several occasions, the disciples also refer to Jesus as Rabbi in the Gospel of John, e.g. 4:31, 6:25, 9:2 and 11:8.

I could be wrong - but the word might have had a broader meaning as 'teacher' rather than an official Jewish rabbi we know today. I honestly don't know - I wasn't there!

Either was Mark.

Mark shows no first-hand understanding of the social situation in Palestine. He is clearly a foreigner, removed both in space and time from the events he alleges. Talks about women divorcing men in Palestine, where only men could get divorced.

And speaking of the pigs, Marks geography is hilariously wrong. Gerasa, the place mentioned by Mark, is 31 miles from the Sea of Galilee!

There are endless errors. Its fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

So basically Jesus existed that is fairly certain, however all the rest is probably fiction or at best an inaccurate translation of oral stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

he's waiting for Murphy's Nails to go out of business

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

There are endless errors. Its fiction.

Really? You're playing a bit fast and loose with the truth here.
    Either was Mark.

Mark shows no first-hand understanding of the social situation in Palestine. He is clearly a foreigner, removed both in space and time from the events he alleges. Talks about women divorcing men in Palestine, where only men could get divorced.

Under Roman law, either a man or a woman could initiate divorce. Granted, that was probably unusual in Palestine but given Marks likely more cosmopolitan audience it's not surprising that he would emphasise this statement by Jesus.
    And speaking of the pigs, Marks geography is hilariously wrong. Gerasa, the place mentioned by Mark, is 31 miles from the Sea of Galilee!

The gospels don't say that this episode happened in the town itself - they talk about the country / region of the Gerasenes. From the context, it is clear that the demon possessed man is living an isolated existence.

pearcider wrote: »
    … we are at the end of the age of Homo sapiens.

Think I saw that movie. X-Men isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭patmahe

I think if Jesus did return and tell everyone he was the son of God, he'd be disregarded as a nut job and locked up with all the others saying similar things. He'd have to perform some unquestionable miracles before people would start to pay attention. I know lots of people like to laugh and joke about religion as its the 'cool' thing to do now, but I find Jesus an interesting character, I wonder if the stories have just been exaggerated or if there was something about him, how did he create such a following and did he believe he was the son of God or was it just a desperate way of explaining away an unexpected pregnancy?

I guess we have no way of finding out, but its interesting to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When will a fictional person return?

Ah, never?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

NIMAN wrote: »
    When will a fictional person return?

Ah, never?

From Wikipedia;

Most biblical scholars and classical historians see the theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted,[16][18][98] and in modern scholarship, the Christ myth theory is a fringe theory and finds virtually no support from scholars.[99][2][100][101][note 3]

• Advertisement

pearcider wrote: »
    From Wikipedia;

Most biblical scholars and classical historians see the theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted,[16][18][98] and in modern scholarship, the Christ myth theory is a fringe theory and finds virtually no support from scholars.[99][2][100][101][note 3]

Yes someone called Jesus probably existed. Most likely a low level rabbi who had a story attributed to him by writers of fiction.

Advertisement