Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will Jesus return?

Options

Comments

patmahe wrote: »
    I know lots of people like to laugh and joke about religion as its the 'cool' thing to do now,

That's the most patronising, lazy and ignorant response that gets bandied about. Enough said.
    I wonder if the stories have just been exaggerated or if there was something about him, how did he create such a following and did he believe he was the son of God or was it just a desperate way of explaining away an unexpected pregnancy?

I guess we have no way of finding out, but its interesting to think about.

Take scientology, there are thousands of followers of something that's literally science fiction. Keep in mind this is a lot more of an enlightened age. Then assume an autocratic world leader takes it up as the empire's state religion. There you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

The Nal wrote: »
    Yes someone called Jesus probably existed. Most likely a low level rabbi who had a story attributed to him by writers of fiction.

Nice way to move the goal posts there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've never left

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've never left

jc3mbrk4v52y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

The poor OP was just wondering should he transfer out Jesus from his FPL team or hold onto him if the injury was just a short term thing.

But he submitted it in after-hours instead of Fantasy football and his inbox exploded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

His mother has appeared in a lot of places

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

ah, you missed him. he was around the other day. he might be avoiding you. have you done anything that might have displeased him?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

pearcider wrote: »
    From Wikipedia;

Most biblical scholars and classical historians see the theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted,[16][18][98] and in modern scholarship, the Christ myth theory is a fringe theory and finds virtually no support from scholars.[99][2][100][101][note 3]

Ah right.

So Wikipedia says he existed so that's that settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭patmahe

That's the most patronising, lazy and ignorant response that gets bandied about. Enough said.

Take scientology, there are thousands of followers of something that's literally science fiction. Keep in mind this is a lot more of an enlightened age. Then assume an autocratic world leader takes it up as the empire's state religion. There you go.

I'm sorry you find my assertion that a lot of the people who laugh and joke about religion are doing so to conform or because its 'cool', to be patronising, lazy and ignorant that was not my intention. There are many reasons why someone might choose to ridicule religion, abuse, institutional sexism, Magdalene laundries, the pushing of a very conservative viewpoint and these are all fine for those who have considered these things and made their own conscious decision. However in addition to those there will be a part of the population who are just going along with it because its now the socially acceptable thing to do and if it suddenly became cool to be hyper-religious again, they would do that. Just to be clear here I am not sticking up for religion on religious institutions here, its just a casual observation.

To your second point regarding scientology, I think that's quite a good point and when you expand on it further, those seeking a position of power would certainly latch onto those with a large loyal following (see the NRA in the states) so do you think Jesus was just a master of telling people what they wanted to hear or did he believe what he was saying?

L. Ron Hubbard was just a science fiction writer when he came up with the idea of Scientology.

• Advertisement

so do you think Jesus was just a master of telling people what they wanted to hear or did he believe what he was saying?

If we start off with the premise that his mother concocted a messiah story to explain how she became pregnant (possibly/probably by rape) then to keep up the pretence she would have had to tell her son from a very early age that he was the son of god.

But, he would still have been competing against many other 'start ups', so it's likely he had significant charisma to stand out and gather followers. But, as we can see today, that's still possible by those with charisma if the right people are encountered.

Did he believe he was the messiah. I'm tending towards he did believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nice way to move the goal posts there.

No move. A Jesus probably existed. What he did or didn't do, we have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

Just back now lads, is that beast gone yet?

Ferajacka wrote: »
    Just back now lads, is that beast gone yet?

He's behind you!
    Ferajacka wrote: »
    Oh no he's not...

Oh yes he is!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ah right.

So Wikipedia says he existed so that's that settled.

I’m not sure who you think you are impressing but your childish arrogance is clear for all to see.

The Nal wrote: »
    No move. A Jesus probably existed. What he did or didn't do, we have no idea.

So you admit he is not fictional. Thank you. There’s hope for you yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

When? Tuesday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    " I am with you always"

He hasn't gone away, you know!

Thread's about JC, not Obi Wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So you admit he is not fictional. Thank you. There’s hope for you yet.

Its possible he was fictional. Its possible he was 3 or 4 people amalgamated together.

What is most likely is that he was a normal bloke who had myths - fiction - written about him.

Theres no credible evidence whatsoever that the guy in the bible existed as that story is told. None.

You originally posted it’s highly highly unlikely he existed. As I pointed out your belief that Jesus was a mythical figure is in fact a fringe belief among academics much like vaccines causing autism. So you’re full of it basically as well as arrogant. I doubt you will be so arrogant on your deathbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Will he bring us the good word?

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Will he bring us the good word?

The Bird?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I have nailed down the time to some day between next week and 49,783 A.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If he came back he'd probably be wondering why everyone is calling him Jesus.

Yehoshua however might be more correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

When he gets horny or hungry!

Same as most men. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

He's gonna be on the new series of love island

I don't think He'd be interested in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭CoBo55

He arrived back 17 years ago and proclaimed he was Jesus Christ in the carpark of a Supermercado near Madrid and was arrested and sectioned in a psych ward as no one claimed him and he had no ID on him...which makes perfect sense when you think of it.

I thought that was terminator...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

When I was at primary school, a disabled guy used to come into talk about Jesus and the Bible sometimes, and I asked him the very same question. His answer was simply when we think we don’t need him anymore.

Advertisement