Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things the PC brigade don't want to hear or admit

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Mangofrozo wrote: »
    If I were to estimate I'd say it's closer to 99%. Depression and anxiety issues are almost unheard of in hunter gatherer societies. I think that in order to allow civilisation to prosper people need to be conditioned from an early age to behave in ways that are "unnatural", this causes mental issues in most people in my opinion. People who exhibit depression and chronic anxiety are those that are worst affected by the conditioning

When I gave the one finger salute to the church and political system and came out as a bi man a lot of my stress dissipated....

Social conditioning and engineering is one of the sickest part's of society...

I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Closing down the old mental institution's achieved nothing bar giving rise to a huge increase in homelessness and making liberals feel smug

The prevailing Liberal narative that these places were cruel is wrong, they were safe places for people simply not able to manage in the big bad world
    You don't know what you're talking about.

joe40 wrote: »
    I was recently at a funeral for a 24 year old that committed suicide. I would love to see you tell that to his Mother.

disingenuous to pretend that "mental health issues dont exist" is what was said tbf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Closing down the old mental institution's achieved nothing bar giving rise to a huge increase in homelessness and making liberals feel smug

The prevailing Liberal narative that these places were cruel is wrong, they were safe places for people simply not able to manage in the big bad world

Ehhhh liberals had nothing to do with any of that. Be delighted to had you explain how or why

And truly horrific sh!t was done to many patients in those institutions in the name of treatment.

You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

nthclare wrote: »
    When I gave the one finger salute to the church and political system and came out as a bi man a lot of my stress dissipated....

Social conditioning and engineering is one of the sickest part's of society...

I

I’m not sure when you came out but I don’t think anybody cares anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Ehhhh liberals had nothing to do with any of that. Be delighted to had you explain how or why

And truly horrific sh!t was done to many patients in those institutions in the name of treatment.

The future might think we have horrific treatments.

The future might think we have horrific treatments.

Medicating people is worse absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Demonstrably untrue M.Thatcher cut huge amounts of funding for mental health and implemented a program called "care in the community". A program that expected the public to make up for the cuts she implemented.

Is there some parallel universe where ireland was always populated by the bloody liberals?

The ireland I grew up in was stringently conservative and crushed by the Catholic Church and it's archaic rules and it controlled the whole show government down to schools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Many people were placed in them when they didn’t need to be. A member of my husband’s family was sent to one decades ago. He is bipolar. He’s institutionalised and will never leave. My husband’s family feel angry about it.

One might say “Ah, but maybe they didn’t know how to treat it back then”. But one of my mother’s friend is bipolar and of a similar vintage. She wasn’t hospitalised. Her life wasn’t always easy but she worked full-time and successfully raised a family who have all done really well for themselves. When treatment for bipolar disorder was only available in tablet form, she’d sometimes stop taking them once she started to feel better. That caused some problems. But for a long time, she has been getting a monthly injection that keeps her almost completely stable. What if she had been written off and institutionalised? Look at what she has achieved!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I’m not sure when you came out but I don’t think anybody cares anymore.

I don't understand what you mean, can you clarify what you mean by "I don't think anyone cares anymore"

I know lot's of caring people out there.

There's more good people than bad...

Maybe you're in the wrong circle's or something...

Sorry to hear you only see uncaring people...

By the way I'm slightly dyslexic myself, so I could be reading your response from a different angle...

Is there some parallel universe where ireland was always populated by the bloody liberals?

The ireland I grew up in was stringently conservative and crushed by the Catholic Church and it's archaic rules and it controlled the whole show government down to schools

Yes, it’s only in the last maybe fifteen or twenty years that the tide has turned. The 1995 divorce referendum was won by the ‘legalise divorce’ side by a margin of only 9,000 votes. Most constituencies voted against it. It was dragged over the line by Dublin and a handful of other areas. The weather was awful that day and it’s thought that if it had been better, the other side could have won. Considering only around 350 votes per county on average won it for the ‘legalise’ side, that seems very plausible. Looking back, that seems like madness. That most constituencies voted against the legalisation of divorce and by large margins in some constituencies. Ireland was very conservative not very long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    How many employers here would be willing to hire a traveller, even if their record was squeaky clean? I'm sure someone will come in mouthing off in an effort to show me up but let's be honest here, very very few employers actually would.

How many cases are there of travelers not getting jobs because of who they are?

Yes, it’s only in the last maybe fifteen or twenty years that the tide has turned. The 1995 divorce referendum was won by the ‘legalise divorce’ side by a margin of only 9,000 votes. Most constituencies voted against it. It was dragged over the line by Dublin and a handful of other areas. The weather was awful that day and it’s thought that if it had been better, the other side could have won. Considering only around 350 votes per county on average won it for the ‘legalise’ side, that seems very plausible. Looking back, that seems like madness. That most constituencies voted against the legalisation of divorce and by large margins in some constituencies. Ireland was very conservative not very long ago.

Yeah. It was won by one vote per ballot box. Which is mad when you think about it.

Yeah. It was won by one vote per ballot box. Which is mad when you think about it.

Truly mad. My parents voted against it and I know they wouldn’t do the same if it was happening today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,153 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Granadino wrote: »
    How many cases are there of travelers not getting jobs because of who they are?

Very very few.

I'd say they apply for no jobs. Pay tax like the rest of us? You must be joking.

Truly mad. My parents voted against it and I know they wouldn’t do the same if it was happening today.

When marriage equality finally came around it was a shock but a brilliant one to discover that the highest votes for yes were in the 50-70 age bracket. A with repeal so many older family members of mine and older people I canvassed said the Same thing in effect. That they’d all known poor girls made to suffer and it was a hurt that needed to be healed an it was time.
    We’ve come so far in such a few short years. But If you oppress any people for long enough as the church did, uprising is inevitable.

So glad we’re not that ireland anymore.

When marriage equality finally came around it was a shock but a brilliant one to discover that the highest votes for yes were in the 50-70 age bracket. A with repeal so many older family members of mine and older people I canvassed said the Same thing in effect. That they’d all known poor girls made to suffer and it was a hurt that needed to be healed an it was time.
    We’ve come so far in such a few short years. But If you oppress any people for long enough as the church did, uprising is inevitable.

So glad we’re not that ireland anymore.

Is that true of the marriage equality referendum? I thought that the two eldest demographics voted against it. And that the Yes vote was by bigger margins as you moved towards the younger demographics

Is that true of the marriage equality referendum? I thought that the two eldest demographics voted against it. And that the Yes vote was by bigger margins as you moved towards the younger demographics

Think it was in the clontarf constituency but repeated over loads. It was a shock on the day cos they had been the highest mark against divorce I think it was in the ref on that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

nthclare wrote: »
    Ironically I have a few male friends who are man loving men and they cannot stand the gay scene, camp guys or flamboyancy lol

Indeed. Sexual preference is just that. It is not, or at least ought not to be, the centre of one's identity no matter what it is.

Am tempted to quote Merle Haggard: "We don't make a party out of loving." :)

Quite a number of conservative thinkers are or have been openly gay. As in not hiding the fact. But nor do they identify with all the rainbow flag OTT stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That is so laughable it is not funny. Were you ever in such a place? I was, on a wrong diagnosis. They were dumping grounds for those society wanted to dump. Cruel is a mild word for what went on there. Inhumane. Callous

The way old folk were treated.

A convenience. Hide them away.

Standing joke among staff; " If it moves, drug it. If it doesn't give it ECT"

Maybe try to find the demographics of the homeless and the stats since these places closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Think it was in the clontarf constituency but repeated over loads. It was a shock on the day cos they had been the highest mark against divorce I think it was in the ref on that

Ah yeah, but that was 20 years prior. It was the 30-50 year olds of the divorce ref that made up the 50-70 year olds in the marraige equality ref. Completely different generation in attitudes, especially at the younger end of the co-hort.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but that was 20 years prior. It was the 30-50 year olds of the divorce ref that made up the 50-70 year olds in the marraige equality ref. Completely different generation in attitudes, especially at the younger end of the co-hort.

I think it’s the single greatest achievement this country has ever had. Never been more proud of my country and our people than that day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Many people were placed in them when they didn’t need to be. A member of my husband’s family was sent to one decades ago. He is bipolar. He’s institutionalised and will never leave. My husband’s family feel angry about it.

One might say “Ah, but maybe they didn’t know how to treat it back then”. But one of my mother’s friend is bipolar and of a similar vintage. She wasn’t hospitalised. Her life wasn’t always easy but she worked full-time and successfully raised a family who have all done really well for themselves. When treatment for bipolar disorder was only available in tablet form, she’d sometimes stop taking them once she started to feel better. That caused some problems. But for a long time, she has been getting a monthly injection that keeps her almost completely stable. What if she had been written off and institutionalised? Look at what she has achieved!

Thank you for this. I have known similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That’s a popular opinion on Boards at least, but historically speaking it’s an incredibly ignorant statement. Irish politics and Universities were populated by as many wealthy liberals then as they are now. Ireland is also just as conservative and following the Catholic Church as it always was. There’s only one thing that has changed over time in that whole scenario- you. You’ve simply gotten older.

That’s a popular opinion on Boards at least, but historically speaking it’s an incredibly ignorant statement. Irish politics and Universities were populated by as many wealthy liberals then as they are now. Ireland is also just as conservative and following the Catholic Church as it always was. There’s only one thing that has changed over time in that whole scenario- you. You’ve simply gotten older.

Yeah I think you’re in the parallel universe ireland to be fair.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Being contrarian for a hobby must be exhausting. Where do such people find the energy to constantly argue against conventional wisdom in every single facet of debate?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You don't know what you're talking about.

I've a close relative under the care of the state, I've forgotten more about it than you will ever know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

That's simply a nonsense. Since the divorce referendum, the Bishop Casey affair and the subsequent fallout from the clerical sex abuse scandals, the Church hasn't had the stranglehold on the country's morality that it had previously. There's no way that the Marriage Equality or Abortion referendums would have won so comprehensively in the Ireland of the 80s and 90s. That's not to say that there isn't a deeply conservative streak in this country, particularly in rural areas, but it isn't anyway as pronounced as it was decades ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Both in Ireland and the USA, liberals demanded that the doors be thrown open on the old style institution's, what followed was that the families of those who were seriously disturbed, were unable to cope so the ill people ended up homeless

Many were sent there for altogether spurious reasons but the baby ended up being thrown out with the bath water

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement