Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

You should consider the importance of differences in people, and learn to accept them. The world would be a very boring place if everyone agreed with you. :D

If I didn't understand the importance of accepting other peoples opinions and/or advice I wouldn't be here talking with you today.

I think you are correct on one part, I do find it hard to accept the opinions of people who I feel are incorrect, particularly if there is competing information that strongly refutes their sentiments. For somebody who appears to take such an interest in this topic, I find your lack of interest in alternative information frustrating to digest.

But I have been reflecting on why that should even matter and come to the conclusion that I am just looking for a way to avoid doing some earmarked work I had planned today. .

I really think anybody interested in addiction should give Johann Hari a read.

https://www.ted.com/talks/johann_hari_everything_you_think_you_know_about_addiction_is_wrong?utm_campaign=tedspread&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=tedcomshare

I am sure you will love the name of that linked Ted talk "everything you think you know about addiction is wrong" . . :pac:

His more recent book "lost connections" is , in my view, even better and more insightful then his "chasing the scream" one on addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I thought you two agreed there was no point arguing with each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I thought you two agreed there was no point arguing with each other?

We arent arguing, we are finding a common ground . . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

SICK OF IT!!

Over the past 20-30 years everything that’s nice and that as human beings we actually enjoy doing or eating has been viciously attacked either that or is being right now. Fats, saturated fats, salt, sugar, cigarettes, alcohol, cartoons with fighting robots on kids tv, generally watching tv to much, going on the internet to much, video games, etc, etc, etc.

Are we all going to be boring non drinking non smoking, no tv owning, healthy eating, gym going boring fools in another 20-30 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

Dark modes on apps look terrible

• Advertisement

smilerf wrote: »

????

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Can we say it? got a slap last year from MOD'S when i said something about Christmas. not chancing it again.

Midster wrote: »
    Are we all going to be boring non drinking non smoking, no tv owning, healthy eating, gym going boring fools in another 20-30 years?

Unlikely, although we might live in a society that moderates us so much that we won't be able to do most of that in our own country. For our own health and well-being, naturally. Never fear, there will be virtuous people out there willing to take time from their hectic schedule to make sure you're following their idea of a healthy lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Pretty loose definition of unpopular opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Midster wrote: »
    SICK OF IT!!

Over the past 20-30 years everything that’s nice and that as human beings we actually enjoy doing or eating has been viciously attacked either that or is being right now. Fats, saturated fats, salt, sugar, cigarettes, alcohol, cartoons with fighting robots on kids tv, generally watching tv to much, going on the internet to much, video games, etc, etc, etc.

But loads of those do have dangers - been going on for decades. As an adult you can still partake though - up to you. Good to know the health risks so you can look after yourself as you start getting old.

• Advertisement

????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭djan

Wouldn't say that's all that unpopular but they do reduce eye strain when used in darker environments and use substantially less energy on OLED screens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

djan wrote: »
    Wouldn't say that's all that unpopular but they do reduce eye strain when used in darker environments and use substantially less energy on OLED screens.

I actually use google chromes, Dark Reader extension on my PC to get rid of the distraction by eye floaters.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    But loads of those do have dangers - been going on for decades. As an adult you can still partake though - up to you. Good to know the health risks so you can look after yourself as you start getting old.

As an adult I can’t even go to the pub with my friends I grew up with to have a decent drinking session. Beer is taxed so much these days, especially pub beer most people have been completely priced out of that kind of activity, and it’s not just to get drunk, it’s to be social and meet new people, these days we are stuck at home, drinking beer from a can and either playing computer games, or watching the footy.
    Which is fine, we can still have a laugh but the different people you would meet 10 or so years ago, you don’t meet them anymore, it’s very hard to meet anyone and be social outside of the house these days without spending a small fortune.

And as for the other stuff, sugar tax for example, what the hell!!?

Unlikely, although we might live in a society that moderates us so much that we won't be able to do most of that in our own country. For our own health and well-being, naturally. Never fear, there will be virtuous people out there willing to take time from their hectic schedule to make sure you're following their idea of a healthy lifestyle.

Were living in a nanny state, constantly telling us what to do, and were the law can’t reach, they up the tax to stop people from doing stuff that we would still call fun today, but we can’t cause they taxed the majority of us out of doing it, unless it’s a treat, or a special day you saved up for.
    Go to the pub get completely smashed, it’s your choice, but now with rent increases, tax increases and everything else, you do that and the next morning, to be honest its not the hang over that hurts you, it’s the empty bank account, when you know not so long ago you could have had the same night for less than half the price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

The do gooders, the cops, and plenty others who try to brainwash you will not tell you the truth when they tell you Crime does not pay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

this stuff irritate me.

The fact is most people in this country are white
    Most men are straight not gay
    mixed race couples is not the norm

Yet look at even the rubbish on tv, remember the angelas at 6, if that is still going since I have not watched tv in about 4 months and they show all the token minorities, as if all these minorites were not minorities at all.

it seems the traditional white striaght couple is now the minority, such is the agenda.

Even the GAA adverts are trying to get in the token black people in , in an effort to basically scream, look at us, we are not racist....the same org that would not let brits play

When you have any group shoving a minority to the fore in an effort to tick some pc box, they are only showing what type of person they are and how image is more important to them.

I'm a victim, I'm a victim, I'm a victim. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I actually use google chromes, Dark Reader extension on my PC to get rid of the distraction by eye floaters.

Stylus has custom user-generated styles for most websites. Click the extension icon while on a page and browse the list. Even for boards, I use the site's dark mode and then add some custom CSS to that extension to make it nicer.

Way better than automated stuff like dark mode. The one's I have for the guardian and Facebook look great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

RTE's pro illegal migrant campaign is getting really tiresome. This latest horse ****e of reporting the children who are here illegally as ''undocumented'' and then comparing them to the Irish ''undocumented'' in America is obscene. We have homeless Irish kids here eating their food on the street with no prospect of a home for them and their family any time soon and RTE are pushing the case of a 19 year old Mauritian woman who came here as a child with her family and apparently had it tough. Seriously, she was at school here, how are the authorities not dealing with these folks? We're being encouraged to celebrate that she's been given permission to stay, even though she and her parents are here illegally. The same programme also highligted the Nigerian RTE presenters alleged online abuse she's apparently received.

Racism is never acceptable. RTE are clearly pushing an agenda, all non white people are victims and should be taken in at our expense regardless of their clear lack of entitlement to asylum and that we shouldn't question that but we should also have laws to make questioning whether that's a good idea or not a Hate Crime, seems to be the line they're taking. Funny enough, until earlier this month the ad for the TV licence finished with the words '' having a TV licence is just one of the terms and conditions of life in Ireland'', that line has been dropped for some reason. Clearly our new communities aren't keen on paying their licence fee but feel that having it pointed out is racist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

blueshade wrote: »
    RTE's pro illegal migrant campaign is getting really tiresome. This latest horse ****e of reporting the children who are here illegally as ''undocumented'' and then comparing them to the Irish ''undocumented'' in America is obscene. We have homeless Irish kids here eating their food on the street with no prospect of a home for them and their family any time soon and RTE are pushing the case of a 19 year old Mauritian woman who came here as a child with her family and apparently had it tough. Seriously, she was at school here, how are the authorities not dealing with these folks? We're being encouraged to celebrate that she's been given permission to stay, even though she and her parents are here illegally. The same programme also highligted the Nigerian RTE presenters alleged online abuse she's apparently received.

Racism is never acceptable. RTE are clearly pushing an agenda, all non white people are victims and should be taken in at our expense regardless of their clear lack of entitlement to asylum and that we shouldn't question that but we should also have laws to make questioning whether that's a good idea or not a Hate Crime, seems to be the line they're taking. Funny enough, until earlier this month the ad for the TV licence finished with the words '' having a TV licence is just one of the terms and conditions of life in Ireland'', that line has been dropped for some reason. Clearly our new communities aren't keen on paying their licence fee but feel that having it pointed out is racist.

Don't let it upset you. Most things tend to go full circle given enough time. Rte are a dying breed anyway. The generation that listens to them are pushing on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

The most important lesson a school should teach is the ability to hear an opposing arguement and decide and accept it if it is the right arguement.

It is more important than maths, geography or any languages we are taught in school. People can go to school for 15 years and leave without the ability to have their minds changed by science or reason.

People don’t have the ability to watch a Facebook video and question if it’s real or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

They should've made Irish optional for the Junior Cert rather than history.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They should've made Irish optional for the Junior Cert rather than history.

Its a language that is utterly pointless, unless you want a job on that awful tv station tg4.

I maintain if you are going to teach your kids a language, teach them one that will be of use, be it spanish, mandarin or some popular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Many people end up marrying someone they are not attracted to

• Registered Users Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Mad_maxx wrote: »

LOL!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Don't worry, I am sure over time you wife will develop an attraction for you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

The punishment for being caught using your mobile while driving should be the Garda that stops you smashing your phone to pieces on the ground on the spot.

The amount of times a day i see dozy ***** swerving all over the road because they think "driving=phone time" is shocking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

LOL!
    Sadly enough E, though I imagine it's bloody rare, I do know a couple of people like this, both women.
    randomspud wrote: »
    The punishment for being caught using your mobile while driving should be the Garda that stops you smashing your phone to pieces on the ground on the spot.

The amount of times a day i see dozy ***** swerving all over the road because they think "driving=phone time" is shocking.
    +1000. Personally and I realise this may seem daft for many if not most, my car is mostly my "alone time" away from the ups and downs of life(and people :D) and I nearly always put my phone in aeroplane mode when I get into it, or leave it at home if it's a short trip to the shops.

It's mad how when a new form of human communication comes along it becomes near instantly indispensable. Though understandable as we're a social animal. EG: I came to mobies late enough. My friends had them from the mid 90's I only got in board in 99. Anyway, I used to go fishing a lot back then and the week after I got the phone and all excira I was with it, I went fishing and forgot it. :eek: Like the gobdaw I am I had a panic that maybe my girlfriend of the time or my folks couldn't reach me or I'd fall in and get marooned or something. So I up and drove the 30 odd Kms home and then back to get it. Wearing a pair of waders(yup..). I had been fishing on my own a weekend before minus a phone and didn't give it a second thought.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Texting while driving is, to my mind, noticeably more dangerous than drink driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Just last week I saw three people using their phones while driving in one day. One of them was an ambulance driver pulling up at a traffic light. The lights weren't flashing so he wasn't on an emergency call. He had the phone up to his ear so was obviously just on a bog standard personal call. You'd think someone in that profession would have a bit more cop on!

Advertisement