Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Interesting to see other parts of Dublin had lovely sunshine, I don't think the sun broke through in my part all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It didn't out here either...
    Artane2002 wrote: »
    Interesting to see other parts of Dublin had lovely sunshine, I don't think the sun broke through in my part all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This animation shows the longer range ECMWF mean run from this morning regarding temperature anomalies out to day 15 (5 day running)

AYhvgwt.gif

Looks like the ongoing pattern of this winter so far will continue for a while yet, with the bulk of the cold air continuing to be locked away up in the Arctic, while the mid lats stay on the milder side and cooler again further south towards the sub tropics.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Gonzo wrote: »
    I would happily take this weather for the rest of winter if a proper cold/snowy spell doesn't happen. Nothing more unpleasant than wet and windy mild/cold zonality.

If M.T.`s daily forecast thread is anything to go by (and it usually is) then it looks as if the rest of the season is more or less a write off in terms of getting any sustained period of wintry snowy weather. A repeat of last winter really.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A gentle, calm day that even had a nice touch of softness about since first thing this morning here near Castlebar.
    Mist thickening again at the moment. Had a look at Met Éireann reports for 9pm and only two stations, (Cork and Roches Point) had wind speeds in just about double figures(11km each) or 6 knots. Five stations including Valentia had a windspeed of only 1 knot (2kms) and nearby Newport here on the coast reported Calm conditions.
    I personally have enjoyed this period of high pressure. Firstly, the lovely sunrises and sunsets of last weekend. A few crunchy frosts also thrown in. A welcome view of the night sky for a couple of nights also and now these sometimes nondescript or even slightly bland days that crucially are giving us a break from the rains. Not a bad little spell at all in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Fog warning for Ireland

Dense fog in many areas overnight and for a time on Thursday morning

Valid: 22:00 Wednesday 22/01/2020 to 11:00 Thursday 23/01/2020

Issued: 22:00 Wednesday 22/01/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Status Yellow - Fog warning for Ireland

Dense fog in many areas overnight and for a time on Thursday morning

Valid: 22:00 Wednesday 22/01/2020 to 11:00 Thursday 23/01/2020

Issued: 22:00 Wednesday 22/01/2020

The fog is so thick, and it's so mild here in Mountmellick that there's blackbirds singing up to half an hour ago. No doubt the street lights in the fog confusing them. It's their morning song too..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭pad199207

Pea soup here in Kildare. Thickest Fog I’ve seen for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I had to drive home in it on crappy narrow roads. I have not driven in fog that bad before. I was glad i was the only car on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GFS going full snowstorm for some on Monday as very cold air digs in behind trailing fronts of a rapidly deepening low that would bring very strong winds as well.

gfs-0-114.png?0

114-574UK.GIF?23-0

114-780UK.GIF?23-0

Minority outcome for now but worth keeping track of

• Advertisement

So peaceful and quiet! Makes you want to hold your breath so as not to disturb it... Thick black outside the door...

In a few weeks will be able to wander the lanes in the early hours but not yet!

The year changes and that is strong and good.

No sun today they say and a west wind. All is well.

No daffs out here but the marigolds are still shining out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

If M.T.`s daily forecast thread is anything to go by (and it usually is) then it looks as if the rest of the season is more or less a write off in terms of getting any sustained period of wintry snowy weather. A repeat of last winter really.

Would love a repeat of last February!

Extremely foggy in Dublin 5, I don't think I've ever seen it this foggy before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gorgeous sunny morning in Arklow so far
    Frosty earlier

My first year in Ireland, 2002, I sat in my garden in the mountains enjoying the mild weather.. the previous year I was in Orkney in gales and deluges. Came here for this...Sheer bliss here after that. Lovely weather...Had a very pleasant early walk early today. Joy for me!
    Long may it continue
    You have to wonder at what stage should we stop constantly referring to these winters as “exceptionally mild” and recognise them for what they are, the new normal. This isn’t a mild winter. This is the average Irish winter. With the exception of one or two winters recently, the last 20 odd years and certainly the last 10 years winters in Ireland have become very predictable, mild, joyless affairs. Every winter seems to be worst than the last until the following one gets underway. Often, but not always followed by a washout summer.

I’m based in Brussels now and we’ve had the first proper cold spell here in about a month, temperatures not much above freezing today and a bit of freezing fog around, will be the same for the rest of the week. But it’s a blip really, very little difference to Ireland other than that, apart from how dry it is (which makes it fairly pleasant actually).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sunny skies in Kildare now. Fog burnt away fairly rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Our so called fine weather/high pressure is just as bad as our unsettled weather with all this cloud/fog and dampness...what a joke:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭highdef

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Our so called fine weather/high pressure is just as bad as our unsettled weather with all this cloud/fog and dampness...what a joke:rolleyes:

Depends where you are. Plenty of sunshine and blue skies to be enjoyed in Dublin right now. With no wind, you an actually feel some warmth in the sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Damp, foggy and cold. Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The fog is gone, but it's still quite cloudy, the sun is peaking through at times. It would be great if that GFS scenario for Monday came to pass, but it's highly unlikely. The GFS tends to go on the sherry on the overnight run, then sobers up on the next output.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »
    Sunny skies in Kildare now. Fog burnt away fairly rapidly

It didn't burn away,it just ran down to me :D
    Got foggy around noon here in Arklow after the beautiful frosty start
    Temp is only 5.6c currently
    Visibility varies from 150 to 300 metres

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Amazing weather in Dublin. No wind at all, so it doesn't feel cold whatsoever to me anyway. Cycling to and from work is a delight. I kind of wish we could stockpile these kind of days for the summer months, and just endure horrible weather in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Great day in Dublin City Centre. A touch of Spring even in the air.

Dazzling sunshine out here, bouncing off the calm ocean. Small breeze, so it feels cooler than when there was a mass of cloud cover. They took the blankets off !

Same as yesterday in Dublin 5/9! A foggy start gave way to an overcast day.

Just looked ahead at the met.ie forecast and looks as if the snow -bunnies here might get to burrow....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

My god I hate non weather, this is not cold, not mild, not wet, not dry the only thing it is not is sunny.

Can we have some weather please?

It is sheerly lovely! Just been outside and it is so calm and quiet and cool without biting. Fresh but not aggressive,

A perfect mid winter afternoon for walking or just pottering.

My favourite weather!
    My god I hate non weather, this is not cold, not mild, not wet, not dry the only thing it is not is sunny.

Can we have some weather please?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Calm, cool and foggy much of the day here by the coast in Kerry, pockets of dense fog forming again this evening.

Pic: Banna Beach today looking out towards Kerry Head which is obscured by the fog.

1yCSJqT.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Absolutely shocking fog this morning and most of the day in Laois/Carlow, would prefer driving on snow and ice to these conditions. Next week is looking a little better than what was depicted on Tuesday - it looked like a storm Monday and again Wednesday into Thursday.

Advertisement