Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Heard him on Midlands radio during the week. Embarrassing. Introduced by his climatology and meteorological study credentials. Gave a run down on the models he uses for prediction. Basically what we all have access to. Totally egged on by a presenter who was very ignorant on the subject. When your man gave his spiel about models and personal input the presenter goes 'Wow! What a comprehensive answer! Amazing!'.

Nothing about a recent 7in snow prediction last winter, when 0 inches came. Or his red warnings for Brendan etc.
    People like sheep on Facebook following his every word. He definitely shouldn’t be allowed or be given air time to give his own warnings. It only confuses the likes of my mother who thinks he is doing an official forecast.
    I have seen his wild predictions before ... of course he will get something right eventually but no different than any joe soap predicting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

harr wrote: »
    People like sheep on Facebook following his every word. He definitely shouldn’t be allowed or be given air time to give his own warnings. It only confuses the likes of my mother who thinks he is doing an official forecast.
    I have seen his wild predictions before ... of course he will get something right eventually but no different than any joe soap predicting it.

Every country has its James Madden.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wind chill factor is.... amazing. Just been out for turf and it takes the breath away. Shivery morning. Straight off the ocean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Agreed. When you read the comments section. 'Cathal you're so much better than Met Eireann'. If the same people actually listened to Met Eireann and gave them the same time as this fella.

Or do Met Eireann have to set up a FB page now and interact with their 'fans' online. Is this how people want to find out about weather forecasts..

The sheer arrogance of this fella. When Evelyn was criticising the TV3 fella who went on a red warning solo re. Storm Brendan. Cathal Nolan turned it into the Cathal Nolan show. It was all about him representing the local forecaster versus big bad outdated Met Eireann, who wanted to stifle all the little people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I have been following the weather here since nov 2010. I've learned so much since then and am delighted to see there are others who are as fascinated by the weather as me. I have been following that Midlands weather channel on facebook for a while and do wonder why nobody calls him out in the comments section. So maybe I will start. He makes wild claims that are not accurate but people seem to lap it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I see your man from the Irish weather channel issuing his own weather warnings again for snow Monday and Tuesday in kildare and Laois . He makes himself or at least the local papers do to sound official. I don’t know how many times this lad has got things wrong and people still believe every word out of his mouth.
    My own elderly mother has hospital appointments early next week and now because she has seen it in the local paper she thinks it’s an official warning.

His latest warning in orange(of course) includes wexford for dangerous driving conditions...
    I'd be surprised if I see a flake in Arklow, nevermind wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I see he has a job vacancy advertised on his page. Obviously his only interest is in turning commercial, hence all the "Please Share!" pleas at the start of his posts. Once money becomes involved then credibility of the posts is reduced as clicks become the main target.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Slightly off topic but today is the 30th anniversary of the Burns Day storm of January 1990.

Cork Airport and Roches Point had max gusts up to 83 (154 km/h) and 86 (159 km/h) kts respectively.

Data from Met Éireann.

NOAA_1_1990012506_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but today is the 30th anniversary of the Burns Day storm of January 1990.

It is slightly off topic. But it is under general discussion.
    I'll let it slide this time.
    Last chance sryanbruen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Another remarkably bland day of weather, it's like someone switched the weather to off over the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Another remarkably bland day of weather, it's like someone switched the weather to off over the last few days years.

Really since the heatwave in 2018 ended I can't recall a single day of any note, a few half baked storms and a rumble of thunder here and there but nothing much else. Its just been grey blandness with temps around 8-16C for the best part of 18 months now

An increasingly bitter wind out here. Not kind to be out in. Plenty of nasty weather.. prefer calm and mild any day,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I am just grateful for every day where it isn't windy af, and not too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I am just grateful for every day where it isn't windy af, and not too cold.

Same
    Was an easy weeks commuting bar some fog
    Fairly bright on morning
    Bright in the evening
    Able to get out and about
    As good as it gets for the time of year imo

Yes if you cycle to and from work wind is your worst enemy so this calm period has been nice. Although seems a bit breezier today. Looks like it's going back to the teens in temperatures by the end of the coming week, it is a bit mad for January alright.

Gorden Kaye, René of Allo Allo, was hit by a tree that came through the windscreen of his car during Burn's Day storm. Nearly killed, big mark on his head after. Jan/Feb 1990 v wet and stormy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Gorden Kaye, René of Allo Allo, was hit by a tree that came through the windscreen of his car during Burn's Day storm. Nearly killed, big mark on his head after. Jan/Feb 1990 v wet and stormy.

Great series. "You stupid woman"

Did you know that the actors weren't even French?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today could be last relatively dry day for some time, time to go outside and enjoy it! Ground here is slightly damp but i'll take it as a dry day.

Did you know that the actors weren't even French?

Emm fairly well known :) With names like Sue Hodge, Richard Gibson, Arthur Bostrom, Rose Hill :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    I have been following the weather here since nov 2010. I've learned so much since then and am delighted to see there are others who are as fascinated by the weather as me. I have been following that Midlands weather channel on facebook for a while and do wonder why nobody calls him out in the comments section. So maybe I will start. He makes wild claims that are not accurate but people seem to lap it up.

I was calling him out he blocked me ha
    His posts regularly have ads .
    Unbelievable how people follow him with out question

Agreed. When you read the comments section. 'Cathal you're so much better than Met Eireann'. If the same people actually listened to Met Eireann and gave them the same time as this fella.

Or do Met Eireann have to set up a FB page now and interact with their 'fans' online. Is this how people want to find out about weather forecasts..

The sheer arrogance of this fella. When Evelyn was criticising the TV3 fella who went on a red warning solo re. Storm Brendan. Cathal Nolan turned it into the Cathal Nolan show. It was all about him representing the local forecaster versus big bad outdated Met Eireann, who wanted to stifle all the little people.

A year or two ago he was going on about how he was short listed for a job vacancy in met eireann,
    Guess he didn't get it ha,
    that is probably where he gets his hatred of met eireann from

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »

Cork Airport and Roches Point had max gusts up to 83 (154 km/h) and 86 (159 km/h) kts respectively.

Data from Met Éireann.

Nice hand drawn chart from the UK Met for that day:

HcRmYWQ.png

New Moon

There is only one 'alternative' weather site for Ireland that is in anyway worthy of being taken seriously and that is 'Irish Weather Online'. Yes, I'm biased, but my biases are never without foundation.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    There is only one 'alternative' weather site for Ireland that is in anyway worthy of being taken seriously and that is 'Irish Weather Online'. Yes, I'm biased, but my biases are never without foundation.

One of the better ones,I use to perfair there webpage when it was active.
    Carlow weather ,Wicklow weather and Kildare weather I also like to follow

ZX7R wrote: »
    One of the better ones,I use to perfair there webpage when it was active.
    Carlow weather ,Wicklow weather and Kildare weather I also like to follow

Yes, because there is genuine passion and love for the Irish weather there which is not motivated by money making and profit.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

From Met Eireann

Weather Advisory for Ireland

Cold and wintry weather will develop from Sunday evening. Showers of hail, sleet and snow will occur in places. Snow showers most frequent in Ulster and Connacht and especially so on high ground.

Valid: 18:00 Sunday 26/01/2020 to 15:00 Tuesday 28/01/2020

Issued: 19:00 Saturday 25/01/2020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

HcRmYWQ.png

Made the main BBC news,1st item,100,000 homes in the Republic of Ireland without power
    Iirc it rose to 150k at peak

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

HcRmYWQ.png

That was one of the best storms I ever experienced. It was similar to Storm Brendan in that there was two periods of wind with it.

• Advertisement

Been a wild, wet night out here. Quieting now somewhat but a night to be snug abed.

Lovely to be safe and warm listening to the tumult.

LATER; not ventured outside yet but something heavier and more.... solid... than rain was hurled against the windows here a while ago. It has reverted to rain now, and a wild, wet morning we have.

and again; spattering loud.

Advertisement