Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭giveitholly

US2 wrote: »
    Theres been a frost the last week, some of them severe

Only had frost in my area since last friday night,had none last night,was raining on thursday last

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Only had frost in my area since last friday night,had none last night,was raining on thursday last

What's your point? We obviously dont live in the same area.

US2 wrote: »
    What's your point? We obviously dont live in the same area.

My point is that I am posting about conditions local to me in the winter forum if that is ok with you

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

My point is that I am posting about conditions local to me in the winter forum if that is ok with you

Fair enough.
    There is however a thread called current conditions,
    It would be much better if everyone could leave all such posts in there;)

odyboody wrote: »
    Fair enough.

But I wasn't talking about current conditions,I was talking about conditions going back as far as last thursday,wink,wink.Anyway I'm saying no more don't want to be derailing the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

odyboody wrote: »
    Fair enough.

That's not how it's ever really worked here. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway last Sunday
    aKt4AVl.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I really enjoyed the clear and frosty days over the past few days. Still a few more dry days to go but it is already much milder. Things start to become more unsettled again from this weekend with quite a wet week next week and generally staying mild, however there could be a brief 24 hour window of cooler conditions around Wednesday of next week.

The outlook remains very poor for cold/snow lovers with much of February forecasted to be significantly milder than average, especially across eastern Europe and into Russia where anomolies could run more than 10C above normal. Temperature anomolies over Ireland don't look as extreme with maybe 0.5 or 1C above average at times. Absolutely no signs of that PV losing it's tight control over the pole and no sign of the Atlantic going away any time soon either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Heavy fog coming down in parts of Kildare .
    Careful driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Nice day in south Wicklow
    Plenty sun after a dull start
    Max around 9c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭squarecircles

had to open the window,
    dead calm,murky sticky evening.

sea fog and mist creating that claustrophobic incubated feeling.
    life emerging,green shoots rising,
    Daffodill heads sprouting.

hard to believe were in the heart of the winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

friends of mine live in the central part of southern Sweden. Normally they see snow and ice much of the time from November through to March and even into April.

This winter could not be more different. He said they got off to a cold start late September into early October with some wintry showers and snow on and off in October. The mild began early November and since then they've barely seen any snow or ice with green grass all through December and now into the end of January. The next 2 weeks also look snow free for them too with the high temperature amomolies just going on and on.

Here in Ireland mild bland winters are nothing unusual, but these sort of Atlantic dominated and exceptionally mild winters are much more rare in Scandinavia and eastern half of Europe, especially when temperatures continue on a +6C scale for the majority of winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Salou Spain this morning
    CEwHVZf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

You have to wonder at what stage should we stop constantly referring to these winters as “exceptionally mild” and recognise them for what they are, the new normal. This isn’t a mild winter. This is the average Irish winter. With the exception of one or two winters recently, the last 20 odd years and certainly the last 10 years winters in Ireland have become very predictable, mild, joyless affairs. Every winter seems to be worst than the last until the following one gets underway. Often, but not always followed by a washout summer.

I’m based in Brussels now and we’ve had the first proper cold spell here in about a month, temperatures not much above freezing today and a bit of freezing fog around, will be the same for the rest of the week. But it’s a blip really, very little difference to Ireland other than that, apart from how dry it is (which makes it fairly pleasant actually).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    friends of mine live in the central part of southern Sweden. Normally they see snow and ice much of the time from November through to March and even into April.

This winter could not be more different. He said they got off to a cold start late September into early October with some wintry showers and snow on and off in October. The mild began early November and since then they've barely seen any snow or ice with green grass all through December and now into the end of January. The next 2 weeks also look snow free for them too with the high temperature amomolies just going on and on.

Here in Ireland mild bland winters are nothing unusual, but these sort of Atlantic dominated and exceptionally mild winters are much more rare in Scandinavia and eastern half of Europe, especially when temperatures continue on a +6C scale for the majority of winter.

I have to say it is very worrying when most of Europe is being affected by the mild Atlantic influence. With our country, you expect it but countries like Russia, Norway, Sweden etc getting barely any snow makes things very depressing in general for cold and snow lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Is there a reason we had all these dramatic sunsets lately? I can't remember skies like this before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Is there a reason we had all these dramatic sunsets lately? I can't remember skies like this before

Only reason is the angle of the setting sun to the hight of the clouds,
    More people taking photos sharing on media
    The high pressure timing perfect with the stretch in the evenings ECT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

Because it wasn't wet and windy like the previous 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

You'll always have the memory of the cold snap of January 2020 ... unless you slept in on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Very foggy and damp in Dublin 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Agreed the sunsets are spectacular!!

pauldry wrote: »
    Because it wasn't wet and windy like the previous 6 months

I know but there seems to be this different colour at this time of year, pinky orangey clouds and sky. It's gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Whatever about great sunsets, there was a photo on facebook of a spectacular sunrise above the Devils ladders last Saturday. It's one of the best winter time photos i've seen in a long time!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You have to wonder at what stage should we stop constantly referring to these winters as “exceptionally mild” and recognise them for what they are, the new normal. This isn’t a mild winter. This is the average Irish winter. With the exception of one or two winters recently, the last 20 odd years and certainly the last 10 years winters in Ireland have become very predictable, mild, joyless affairs. Every winter seems to be worst than the last until the following one gets underway. Often, but not always followed by a washout summer.

I’m based in Brussels now and we’ve had the first proper cold spell here in about a month, temperatures not much above freezing today and a bit of freezing fog around, will be the same for the rest of the week. But it’s a blip really, very little difference to Ireland other than that, apart from how dry it is (which makes it fairly pleasant actually).

So true every year if you predict it's going to be a wet, mild winter you will be spot on 9/10 times.

Gorgeous sunny day in Arklow again
    Same yesterday

Clearance fringing sth Dublin now east Wicklow into wexford
    Attached sat image and current blue sky Arklow
    Much of cork and Kerry clear too
    Beautiful day in the clear areas
    Bray already up to near 13c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Lovely lunchtime walk. Dublin 2.
    Parks busy. Everyone out enjoying the bright skies and mild calm conditions.

I would happily take this weather for the rest of winter if a proper cold/snowy spell doesn't happen. Nothing more unpleasant than wet and windy mild/cold zonality.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blessedly mild and calm. No need to light the fire , and wandered around outside with no coat and at ease. Just resting in the mildness and lack of tumult.

Not even wearing socks!

Grey, but that is fine too... a needed and appreciated respite from the last weeks. Soft and gentle air, and exuberant birdsong assuring that all is well.

The calm ocean is a simply quiet sussuration of quiet ripples after the loud crashings and tumult of recent times

Bliss; whether it lasts or not, we have today,.

But long may it last. Even thinking of tidying the garden. ;)

west mayo offshore

• Advertisement

The steam from the incinerator in Poolbeg is going absolutely straight up. Not often you see that.

Advertisement