Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Chill and a shivery breeze out here but the ocean protects against the severe frost some of you are suffering. Was out at first light for a walk; dramatic cloudscapes and an orange dawning . Ocean calm and energising air. Breath of a kindly winter. Calm after recent disruptions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Current readings, 1048 hPa widely across the south. So the highest January readings in over 20 years, given that highest I could find was 1047.3 hPa back in 2000.

QWBAkZu.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's strange that not many long range forecast are going for a cold spring. I suppose one positive of the strong polar vortex, is that if we do get a favourable pattern change, all that cold could come our way.
    I think we will see a a change to something much colder sometime in February. In the mean time if we do manage to get a brief northwesterly airflow it could be quite potent given the record cold up in Greenland

I think it will be late March or April
    It's more common around then
    Our climate

• Advertisement

It's strange that not many long range forecast are going for a cold spring. I suppose one positive of the strong polar vortex, is that if we do get a favourable pattern change, all that cold could come our way.
    I think we will see a a change to something much colder sometime in February. In the mean time if we do manage to get a brief northwesterly airflow it could be quite potent given the record cold up in Greenland

My pet theory is that with cold air tending to be 'locked up' away in the Arctic this year, that this will eventually 'unleash' into the mid latitudes during the Spring as the PV eventually breaks down as it traditionally does in that late-winter/early spring period. What effect this would have is another thing. A cold Arctic blast into the the N. Atlantic could well force much warmer air from the tropics over western Europe; or alternatively, an Arctic blast over the eastern N. American continent could power up the Atlantic and bring us much rain. Or maybe, just maybe, this cold air will come down over us and bring us a repeat of April 1917. :D

Or, as is more likely, I could be just talking bollox.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The pattern hasn't changed in months. We do have high pressure over us over the past few days and will last another few days. The PV remains very strong with the cold bottled over the North Pole and the Atlantic continues to steer west to east. Once the high pressure moves away were back to a mild and unsettled theme.

My guess is we'll keep this generally mild and unsettled pattern for at least another month with signs of change appearing towards the end of February. We will possibly see blocking start to come back in March and perhaps a reversal of the zonal winds. We are still on the look out for a SSW but would like to see one happening soon so that it's effect could benefit us late February or early March before it's too late. I'm not sure we'll see any proper snow in February, but we should at least catch a day or so of wintryness in March.

I've a feeling this Spring could be very similar to last years with cold shots and blocking lasting well into April and possibly May.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Carol25 wrote: »
    Beautiful two days this weekend, I love the crisp frosty weather. Just a question for those of you saying this winter is incredibly mild. I seem to remember a lot of north westerly’s this winter in November and early December in particular? As regards January-it seems typically cold for this time of year in the West. Probably close to average temperatures? I am open to correction as this isn’t based on data, just my own experience ��.

January has been up to 0.5-1C above average generally to this point (which includes the colder nights that have brought down means somewhat). That temperature anomaly range is very similar to January 2019 which was a mild but not exceptionally so month in of itself. However, I would think that with the coming mild weather that January 2020 will turn out to be milder than January 2019 and it’ll be the mildest January in the country since 2012.

December was similarly milder than average to how this January has been up to now but it was a good deal colder than December 2018 or other recent Decembers like 2015 and 2016.

November was relatively cool and dominated by unsettled northwesterly winds. An absolute atrocious, diabolical, horrifically bad month by any stretch of the imagination. I’d rather erase this month from existence.

How mild winter 2019-20 will be in the end depends on how February goes. Not unprecedented to have two or more exceptionally mild winters in a row though. We only have to go back to 2015-16 and 2016-17 for that which were both well above average for temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Or maybe, just maybe, this cold air will come down over us and bring us a repeat of April 1917. :D
    We can only dream. I am probably in the minority here, but i would love an extreme event like that. At least for those who wouldn't welcome it, they'd not have to worry about several ice days after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Or maybe, just maybe, this cold air will come down over us and bring us a repeat of April 1917. :D

I had to Google it....

"Strabane, 12 April 1917 - There has not been as cold a spring in Ireland since records began, according to a British meteorologist, Dr Mill.

Ireland is currently in the midst of a brutal spell of April weather. Frost is playing havoc with crops - snowfalls around Dublin are heavy and frequent. Sheep have perished and, in Ulster, a girl living five miles from Strabane was said to have become ‘insane’ after she lost her way in a blizzard and wandered in the fields all night.

Trains have been forced to stop running in various parts after the snowfall was too deep to plough through. There is no likelihood that conditions will ease in the coming days."

https://www.rte.ie/centuryireland/index.php/articles/coldest-irish-april-for-36-years

Sounds great!

• Advertisement

Beautiful day
    Frost on the tarmac in the shade here in Arklow all day
    Currently 6.9c
    Min was -0.5c

Looks like the sun has decided to set IN my shed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Current readings, 1048 hPa widely across the south. So the highest January readings in over 20 years, given that highest I could find was 1047.3 hPa back in 2000.

Can anyone say with reasonable certainty what's causing our current high pressure readings?

Say you get a powerful storm here. A strong jet stream and large temperature difference between a cold and warm air mass colliding, could be blamed.

And given that high pressure is the result of cold air descending from high up in our atmosphere and we get these high pressure records in this part of the world in January. Is this the result of a stable polar vortex building up very low temperatures high up in the atmosphere and with the angle of the Sun on the planet this time of year in the northern hemisphere and allowing this cold air to build that it just finds a home in a high pressure system in the nh which atm just happens to be over us atm?
    Or is this too simplistic of an explanation?

Thoughts. Reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Can very high pressure cause headache?

I've had awful ones today and yesterday and wouldn't be a sufferer generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Can very high pressure cause headache?

I've had awful ones today and yesterday and wouldn't be a sufferer generally.

High blood pressure maybe.

Can anyone say with reasonable certainty what's causing our current high pressure readings?

Say you get a powerful storm here. A strong jet stream and large temperature difference between a cold and warm air mass colliding, could be blamed.

And given that high pressure is the result of cold air descending from high up in our atmosphere and we get these high pressure records in this part of the world in January. Is this the result of a stable polar vortex building up very low temperatures high up in the atmosphere and with the angle of the Sun on the planet this time of year in the northern hemisphere and allowing this cold air to build that it just finds a home in a high pressure system in the nh which atm just happens to be over us atm?

Thoughts. Reasons?

Could be something to do with that alright, but I am in no position to say. Low pressure to the north means that air is rising rapidly but this air will descend again creating large high pressure zones, such as the current one, to its south. That is how it normally works anyway.

Just looking at stratospheric temps, and at 10 hPa, there does seem to be a pretty anomalous warm region right above the current anticyclone which may well be driving it also?

jR2DDKP.png

Don't know how or why, but I'll leave that to bigger brains than I.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

sryanbruen wrote: »
    January has been up to 0.5-1C above average generally to this point (which includes the colder nights that have brought down means somewhat). That temperature anomaly range is very similar to January 2019 which was a mild but not exceptionally so month in of itself. However, I would think that with the coming mild weather that January 2020 will turn out to be milder than January 2019 and it’ll be the mildest January in the country since 2012.

December was similarly milder than average to how this January has been up to now but it was a good deal colder than December 2018 or other recent Decembers like 2015 and 2016.

November was relatively cool and dominated by unsettled northwesterly winds. An absolute atrocious, diabolical, horrifically bad month by any stretch of the imagination. I’d rather erase this month from existence.

How mild winter 2019-20 will be in the end depends on how February goes. Not unprecedented to have two or more exceptionally mild winters in a row though. We only have to go back to 2015-16 and 2016-17 for that which were both well above average for temperatures.

Thanks you for the info Syran! Interesting info here to ponder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭obi604

I have found it unreal cold today. No real frost or major winds but just find it very cold
    East Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Snowmaggedon next Sunday or Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

High blood pressure maybe.

Had a general check up last week and all ok.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thoughts. Reasons?

Good explanation here from the Met Office.

https://twitter.com/MetOffice_Sci/status/1219302106554757124?s=20

And from Stephen Burt, a visiting fellow at Reading University's department of meteorology talking to the BBC.

"The reason for the extremely high pressure can be traced back to the rapid development of an intense low-pressure area off the eastern seaboard of the United States a few days previously (this is the storm that dumped around 75cm of snow in Newfoundland)," he explained.

"In simple terms, the air drawn out from this system through the actions of a strong jet stream has to be redistributed elsewhere.

"Normally, this would happen over a much larger area of the North Atlantic, leading to the rapid development of a fairly intense anticyclone, which is not uncommon. On this occasion, the 'excess air' (if we may call it that) could only be redistributed over a small area because of the existence of a number of other depressions, resulting in the rapid development and intensification of an anticyclone over the British Isles."

Compare the two charts below and try to spot the differences.

The first is a forecast made 72 hours (three days) ahead; the second one is the actual analysis for the same time, at midnight Sunday into Monday. This is the power of modern numerical models.

"It's remarkable that the models can accurately predict a 1-in-90 year event days ahead, not just 'day-to-day' weather," Mr Burt remarked. "At the time the 72-hour forecast was made, the high had not even begun to form!"
    he told BBC News.

The 72-hour look ahead

nHVHHAN.png

Analysis at midnight into Monday

9ilsybW.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

obi604 wrote: »
    I have found it unreal cold today. No real frost or major winds but just find it very cold
    East Galway.

The cold is in the ground and it's like walking on a fridge as there is virtually no breeze to mix the air layer up.

Meanwhile, it reached 1048.02hPa at 11am this morning here in south Laois. I *think* this is an all time record high for the station. (Opened 1 June 2008)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Still and chill; compared to what is happening in Newfoundland, a summer day.

Be careful what you wish for.
    They got "snowmaggedon" and folk are dead and others missing. Our people .

Meanwhile, cool here but nothing really difficult.

Just enjoy what we have in our mild and moderate climate.

Very still out here; cold but not unbearably so.

Signing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Mild. Cloudy. Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Frost that was forming last night in cork city is gone now. Mild and a bit cloudy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy drizzle in Kildare. The stuff that really drowns you.

Nice surprise this morning, no frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

US2 wrote: »
    Nice surprise this morning, no frost.

Your going on as if Frost has been frequent or something

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

As we move into the last third of January, the wintry window is now starting to close. Chance of a real deep freeze in 2020 is looking slim to me unfortunately. The models have been very bleak for weather watchers since the start of December.

While we may get a cold snap in March, I have no grá for that type of weather. There is nothing like a proper deep freeze in the real core of winter, which for me is late December through to around Valentine's Day. Think 1987, and 2010. I did not enjoy the Storm Emma near as much, which seemed odd and unnatural given the time of year, messy and unwanted.

The only thing I would note is that the GFS ensemble diagram is showing a 60% snow probability for Dublin on January 28th. As this is likely from a northwesterly I would not pay it much heed. Mountains will be white most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

Some parts of the world have seen lots of snow this Winter yet we get none

Europe exceptionally mild

I fear fires and heat might be Summers story in Europe but Atlantic might save us from this. Who knows?

Drizzle and rain back today. ... until May

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    Your going on as if Frost has been frequent or something

Theres been a frost the last week, some of them severe

Advertisement