Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

jimgoose wrote: »
    We're "triggered", apparently, and "enraged" by the sight of a teenage girl. Go figure. I'm only surprised that "gammon", one of the more nonsensical of these Neo-Politik words that have materialised, hasn't cropped up in this context. :pac:

If you don't want to be identified as 'triggered and enraged' by Greta, stop being 'triggered and enraged' by reports of what she is doing and the message she is communicating.

That argument throughout the thread is consistent only in the manner in which it has been poorly presented and the justification for it has rolled from one angle to the next and back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

If you don't want to be identified as 'triggered and enraged' by Greta, stop being 'triggered and enraged' by reports of what she is doing and the message she is communicating.

That argument throughout the thread is consistent only in the manner in which it has been poorly presented and the justification for it has rolled from one angle to the next and back again.

What a lot of what Orwell would probably call Learned Rot! :pac:

What a lot of rot! :pac:

And yet another consistent argument.

And yet another consistent argument.

I wasn't even talking to you, never mind arguing! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The poster is wrong. As are you.

That's taken from the companies blurb. Hilarious you are claiming they are wrong and even more bizarre that you try to claim expertise over and above those who run / own the company.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    That's taken from the companies blurb. Hilarious you are claiming they are wrong and even more bizarre that you try to claim expertise over and above those who run / own the company...

Somebody should tell Jag, they're only planning on building the new electric XJ saloon in Castle Bromwich. :D

That's taken from the companies blurb. Hilarious you are claiming they are wrong and even more bizarre that you try to claim expertise over and above those who run / own the company.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    Somebody should tell Jag, they're only planning on building the new electric XJ saloon in Castle Bromwich. :D

The line implied all BMW cars are made in Europe. That is wrong.

I get the difficulty in understanding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The premium models are as is the european bought ones, every V12 engine is made in munich,

Your complaint was about anti communists benefiting from chinese communism, not really the case, if you buy a european car im europe it is most likely made in a european factory under european labour standards with european made parts.

Cutting off chinese manufacturing would have little impact on high earners and ‘the rich’ it would pnly serve to hurt the poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

The poor in China don't need western trade - what they need is for the Chinese economy to focus on boosting the domestic economy (which is where all of the poor live...), instead of focusing on being a mass-export economy - and reducing trade with China would achieve exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Cutting off chinese manufacturing would have little impact on high earners and ‘the rich’ it would pnly serve to hurt the poor.

How about taxing the hell out of high earners to better distribute money and services amongst the poor, would you be down with that?

• Advertisement

KyussB wrote: »
    The poor in China don't need western trade - what they need is for the Chinese economy to focus on boosting the domestic economy (which is where all of the poor live...), instead of focusing on being a mass-export economy - and reducing trade with China would achieve exactly that.

Europe needs to do the same. Stop the race to the bottom expecting more for less
    Eat irish meat and dairy, buy european produce, shop in irish supermarkets, buy european cars and european replacement parts, focus on quality and less transport miles than price

How about taxing the hell out of high earners to better distribute money and services amongst the poor, would you be down with that?

Absolutely not , they earned that money and your theftist attitude is disgusting

Not on your nelly.

Oh no it didn't!

To the other posters comment viz
    gctest50 wrote:
    Bmw is made in China

I replied:
    ...According to the companies blurb - BMW is headquartered in Munich and in Europe produces motor vehicles in Germany and the UK.

And yes BMW and others also produce vehicles for specific markets in other countries
    - this at least partially due to trade restrictions of importing such vehicles to those counties. China is a case in point

Do you find problems understanding what was written? Let me know and I'll help you out the best I can ...

Do you problems understanding what was written? Let me know and I'll help you out the best I can ...

Dude, you struggled (and failed) with sic.

Dude, you struggled (and failed) with sic.

So still dont understand what was detailed no? Fair enough. It is quite simple - there are car manufacturing factories in Europe and other countries. That's it really.

Absolutely not , they earned that money and your theftist attitude is disgusting
    Not on your nelly.

Just as a reference, and even though this is not included in the thread title so at least one poster will be up in arms over it, but this is the effective tax rate in the US over the last 50 years or so.

falling_tax_rates.png

Now, to be clear, I am not suggesting we take all of wealthy persons income so that they earn just above the median wage or anything like that, but a lot of the higher earners are working in companies where many of the staff earn very little.

Amazon workers income and terms and conditions have been discussed widely.
    Walmart is one of the wealthiest companies in the US and many of their workers have to rely on food stamps.

Lobbying and influence by wealthy individuals to lower tax rates, for wealthy individuals has been intense in most of our lifetimes. Look at Trumps big Tax cuts, they massively benefited the already wealthy. There needs to be an acknowledgement that this is creating a big problem and is the root cause of a lot of other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

But posters here feign concern for the poor not being able to afford things, when talking about putting tax on flights and other carbon heavy industries. You hate the poor! Theftist? No I just want better distribution of wealth and fairer societies. I was lucky to be born into a moderately well off home and given opportunities in life, not everyone gets that but it would be great if they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

When has a 16 year old had such an influence on world political affairs?

Greta, agree, disagree, like or loathe is remarkable. Joan of Arc is the last girl of similar age to make such an impression that I can think of. That was probably more 'local', the French/English 100 years war.

Who else has caused such a stir so young?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i think we need a couple of years to see how far her influence really goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Naggdefy wrote:
    Who else has caused such a stir so young?

Brittany

But posters here feign concern for the poor not being able to afford things, when talking about putting tax on flights and other carbon heavy industries. You hate the poor! Theftist? No I just want better distribution of wealth and fairer societies. I was lucky to be born into a moderately well off home and given opportunities in life, not everyone gets that but it would be great if they did.

Yeah, the speed and bluntness of the responses decrying any more taxation was telling.

Similar type arguments relating to migrants

Person A - We should look after our own first
    Person B - You mean the homeless?
    Person A - F That, they just want a forever home for nothing.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    When has a 16 year old had such an influence on world political affairs?Greta, agree, disagree, like or loathe is remarkable. Joan of Arc is the last girl of similar age to make such an impression that I can think of. That was probably more 'local', the French/English 100 years war.Who else has caused such a stir so young?

There are certain similarities I'd agree. However . as with Joan - much of what greta does / says is certainly hyped and does not stand up to scrutiny. *Even from such sources who usually hail greta
    (Joan) "was, it seems, almost entirely the creation of France's desperate need for a patriotic mascot in the 19th century. The country wanted a hero, the myths of the revolution were altogether too bloody, and France more or less invented the story of its patron saint.

...much of the adulation is down to wishful thinking, Mr Caratini claims. "Psychologically, her story is beautiful," he said. "It's the little girl who lives out her dreams to the end. But she really wasn't the heroine who saved France - just a human being with exceptional energy and self-belief."

According to Mr Caratini, however, who based his book on what he says is the first scientific study of the records of her trial, her voices were quite clearly "fantasies fabricated by our heroine, presented as if they were real, but with no deliberate intention to deceive. They are frequent and normal in every young child".

Edit. * Added as some seem to have missed the point :rolleyes:

There are certain similarities I'd agree. However . as with Joan - much of what greta does / says is certainly hyped and dies not stand up to scrutiny.

I thought you didn't like quotes from newspapers?

And from the Guardian no less. I take it you will accept their position on the climate discussion.
    As the crisis escalate in our natural world, we refuse to turn away from the climate catastrophe and species extinction. For The Guardian, reporting on the environment is a priority. We give reporting on climate, nature and pollution the prominence it deserves, stories which often go unreported by others in the media. At this pivotal time for our species and our planet, we are determined to inform readers about threats, consequences and solutions based on scientific facts, not political prejudice or business interests.

No evidence amongst their pages of them questioning the motives or behaviour of Greta either.

I thought you didn't like quotes from newspapers?And from the Guardian no less. I take it you will accept their position on the climate discussion.
    No evidence amongst their pages of them questioning the motives or behaviour of Greta either.

Lol. You missed the obvious re. policing the internet - its perhaps even more relevant because that one source can damn one and praise the other and see no contradiction...

Certainly as with Sainte Joan - much of what they report on - would indeed appear to be based on fiction

Perhaps you'd like this instead? Again the creation of a 'saint' - this time saint greta ..

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/the-cult-of-youth-damages-everyone/
    The cult of youth damages everyone...
    We’ve begun to behave as if young people are special; more virtuous and wiser than adults. It’s wrong and it’s creepy and we’ve got to stop it

Lol. Re. policing the internet - even more relevant because that one source can damn one and praise the other and see no contradiction...

Certainly as with Sainte Joan - much of what they report on - would indeed appear to be based on fiction fiction

Perhaps your like this instead? Again the creation of a 'saint' - this time saint greta ..

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/the-cult-of-youth-damages-everyone/

I have no comment to make on their reporting of Joan of Arc. I have no great knowledge or interest of her and like lots of stories without recorded evidence, the story and reality are likely somewhat disconnected from each other.

Spectator? Please...

Also, the byline from that piece.
    Why do we keep pretending that children are wiser than adults?

Nobody is pretending that.
    Wakefield is doing the old strawman thing.

I have no comment to make on their reporting of Joan of Arc. I have no great knowledge or interest of her and like lots of stories without recorded evidence, the story and reality are likely somewhat disconnected from each other. Spectator? Please...Also, the byline from that piece.Nobody is pretending that.
    Wakefield is doing the old strawman thing.

Simply replying to the other poster who introduced Joan of Arc. Ok with you?

Ah I see you like the Grudgion and gushing editorials on saint greta but not the Spectator's not so complimentary piece. Grand so ;)

As for children been hailed as wiser than adults- the Spectator article not the only one highlighting that

Simply replying to the other poster who introduced Joan of Arc. Ok with you?

Ah I see you like the Grudgion and its gushing editorials on saints greta but not the Spectator. Grand so ;)

You used the 'Grudgion' (sic) to support your argument. Which is it, you believe their articles or not?

When I use the spectator to support mine, you can ask me the same question.

You used the 'Grudgion' (sic) to support your argument. Which is it, you believe their articles or not?When I use the spectator to support mine, you can ask me the same question.

Indeed as highlighted by the craziness of a world gone mad which holds up children as being like Joan of Arc figures, as detailed by the previous poster. And peculiar the Grudgion (that's a fairly common joke take on the name btw) do the same and do not seem aware of the disconnect. I'm not asking any questions btw. Simply replying to your comments about saints joan of arc and greta

• Advertisement

For those still confused about Greta's message.

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1183798182754435072?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement