Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I see Shane Balkowitsch has taken a couple of wet plate portraits of her during her trip to Standing Rock. As an avid photography fan I love his work.

Really cool.

https://petapixel.com/2019/10/15/a-wet-plate-portrait-of-greta-thunberg/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

NIMAN wrote: »

It did seem very bizarre.

I remember seeing on the late late show years ago a piece on hydro storage and a survey had been commissioned by a German company to look for suitable sites within Ireland and they had identified 6/7 excellent sites, but nothing was ever done about the findings. These sites are still in place and with the advances in renewables maybe they could become an option?

Although I have never been a fan of turbines. I have been around far too many and the amount of crushed stone that goes into making roads for this turbines is unimaginable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

gozunda wrote: »
    Nope as detailed in her UN speech "her message" was oddly different

A transcript - gretas 'message' from the 'How Dare You' speech at the UN Climate Action Summit:

But no I'm not with you on gretas science of doomsdayism for sure - where civilisations supposedly ends in 10 years, so many months and so many days . But hey who's counting? I'll leave that for you ok ;)

In fairness to Moan of Ark, I think she might have gone off script and had a meltdown when she was upstaged by Trump's unscheduled visit. That mental tantrum was the first nail in her coffin. Well, on the bright side, when the world has had enough of Greta, or she's bouncing off the walls in an asylum somewhere, her father is already trotting the younger sister around the circuit trying to pimp her for a singing career, so they've got a spare when the attention runs out, because make no mistake about it, this is all about Mommy and Daddy living vicariously through their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I see Shane Balkowitsch has taken a couple of wet plate portraits of her during her trip to Standing Rock. As an avid photography fan I love his work.
    Really cool.
    https://petapixel.com/2019/10/15/a-wet-plate-portrait-of-greta-thunberg/

The making of greta thunberg eh?

I would agree - lovely photographs but seriously it looks little more than a continuation of great greta PR campaign
    if I can get 15 minutes, we could immortalize greta in the historic photographic process of silver on glass ...this picture would outlast all other photographs ever taken of her or will ever be taken of her.

:rolleyes:

I really do wonder who is funding the ongoing PR campaign. She's not paying for it herself for sure. Looks like this one was possibly free - but I'd warrant the photographer has made a sweet copyright deal no doubt.

As for this campaign and the presence of photographers at opportune moments:

The trip across the Atlantic accompanied by a professional film maker / photographer, photos of greta 'alone' on the New York subway. Photographs and video of greta at TED talks and various conferences nearing with celebrities and so it goes on to this latest stunt painting greta as akin to a spiritual guide amongst native American Indian people and so on it goes. All funded and organised by who I wonder?

The evidence is that she is being heavily promoted as the poster child of climate alarmism - but perhaps even more importantly as a child human shield to silence any criticism. Lovely photographs- but you can't argue with a lovely photograph can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I would agree - lovely photographs

Yes! Glad you enjoyed! I had a look through his other work. Fascinating, the process etc. albeit I'm a bit of photography addict so may not be for everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

There was a summary of a poll today in todays Irish Times that claimed climate change was a most serious issue for 55% of those polled, however most don't want to do anything that costs them money and believe the government should prioritise other services. Going along the lines of what we already discussed in this thread, this is primarily an urban upper middle class concern with those on lower incomes and in rural areas less concerned about it. Sinn Fein voters tended to be the most persistent to it among political parties, this is not surprising and I suspect falls along income lines.

Meanwhile in the Netherlands the same urban/rural divide is apparent.
    Last year you didn’t hear anything about nitrogen, and now suddenly it’s a mortal question,” farmer Micha Bouwer of the Farmers Defence Force told state broadcaster NOS. “These are all people in the city who have two plants on their balcony and say ‘nature is suffering’.”

source

https://twitter.com/Paploo968/status/1184395846210805761/

So now we have the situation with middle and upper class extinction rebellion demonstrators clogging up cities demanding more of the very thing farmers in the places like the Netherlands (and soon other countries) are protesting against.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There was a summary of a poll today in todays Irish Times that claimed climate change was a most serious issue for 55% of those polled, however most don't want to do anything that costs them money and believe the government should prioritise other services. Going along the lines of what we already discussed in this thread, this is primarily an urban upper middle class concern with those on lower incomes and in rural areas less concerned about it. Sinn Fein voters tended to be the most persistent to it among political parties, this is not surprising and I suspect falls along income lines.

You missed the point that 55% said that they are okay with reducing their standard of living in order to help tackle climate change.

The 2 questions relating to money were
    Are you okay with the price of oil, gas, petrol and diesel increasing to help tackle climate change
    44% said Yes, 48% No, hardly a definitive result which also doesn't explore their reasons for saying No (such as, many people do not have alternatives to using fuel and so it is unfair to put the pressure on them without an alternative)
    The Government should spend more money on tackling climate change and less money on public services
    This is a completely loaded question, who is going to accept reducing spending on services such as education, policing and healthcare when there is so much evidence that those sectors are suffering issues associated with funding questions.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that if that poll had been carried out over 12 months ago, the results would have been much less in favour of action to help the environment. Greta has played a significant part in the move towards agreeing the need for and wanting to see action.

Was replacing posts in a fence on commanage land. Six foot post every 4 yards. 15km fence = 16395 yards = 4100 posts....

Got me thinking about how many hundreds of millions of posts much currently be propping up fences around the country and how each post is essentially a unit of stored carbon.

These posts are always taken from smaller trees that are removed from forestry during thinning, branches and bark are left on the ground and the rest of the tree is cut into posts.

I could imagine if the total amount of wood in all these posts could be added up it would possibly equal more carbon storage than the largest forest currently in the country.

So next time you see a green field with no trees take a look at all those posts that are keeping all their carbon locked up.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Was replacing posts in a fence on commanage land. Six foot post every 4 yards. 15km fence = 16395 yards = 4100 posts....

Got me thinking about how many hundreds of millions of posts much currently be propping up fences around the country and how each post is essentially a unit of stored carbon.

These posts are always taken from smaller trees that are removed from forestry during thinning, branches and bark are left on the ground and the rest of the tree is cut into posts.

I could imagine if the total amount of wood in all these posts could be added up it would possibly equal more carbon storage than the largest forest currently in the country.

So next time you see a green field with no trees take a look at all those posts that are keeping all their carbon locked up.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

A - I seriously doubt the volume of posts is equal to the largest forest.
    B - If the posts had been left as trees, they would be actively sucking carbon from the air.
    C - How much carbon was released in the manufacturing process to make the posts.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

A - I seriously doubt the volume of posts is equal to the largest forest.
    B - If the posts had been left as trees, they would be actively sucking carbon from the air.
    C - How much carbon was released in the manufacturing process to make the posts.

A) few hundred million posts, each being replaced every 10 years would add up.

B) The only reason the trees were planted in the first place is because the previous crop was already felled, and when this forestry is all cut out it will be replanted. Continous supply of young fast growing trees will soak up far more CO2 than a mature forest.

These trees also have to be cut out because foresty is planted incredibly densely to force the trees to grow straight up in the search of light. If you didn't thin the forest you would be lelt with a right bollox of a forest.

C)foresty is thinned usually by a single machine that can cut the tree, leaving stump and roots in the ground, it then cuts off all the branches and bark leaving it on ground. Then all that has to happen is that the lengths of timber are cut to correct length and a small cut is taken off the top of one side to point it.

• Advertisement

This is a completely loaded question, who is going to accept reducing spending on services such as education, policing and healthcare when there is so much evidence that those sectors are suffering issues associated with funding questions.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that if that poll had been carried out over 12 months ago, the results would have been much less in favour of action to help the environment. Greta has played a significant part in the move towards agreeing the need for and wanting to see action.

I'm not the only one with an issue with that survey question.

https://twitter.com/OConnorOisin/status/1184385000583696385?s=19

Also,

https://twitter.com/SwiftJoan/status/1184488531915345920?s=19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

How much is Greta charging per appearance?
    She seems to be attending events around the world. Big fat carbon footprint

Blueshoe wrote: »
    How much is Greta charging per appearance?
    She seems to be attending events around the world. Big fat carbon footprint

The level of intelligence in this debate is astonishing at times.

The level of intelligence in this debate is astonishing at times.

Do you know how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

blueshade wrote: »
    In fairness to Moan of Ark, I think she might have gone off script and had a meltdown when she was upstaged by Trump's unscheduled visit. That mental tantrum was the first nail in her coffin. Well, on the bright side, when the world has had enough of Greta, or she's bouncing off the walls in an asylum somewhere, her father is already trotting the younger sister around the circuit trying to pimp her for a singing career, so they've got a spare when the attention runs out, because make no mistake about it, this is all about Mommy and Daddy living vicariously through their kids.

No chance she went off script. Have you seen any of the videos where she is asked a question and doesn’t have a prepared answer?? She’s literally a puppet on a string

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I see Lewis Hamilton is jumping on the bandwagon too. Complaining about everyone else while he flies all over the world to races and his stupid fashion events. Oh, and he's also ambassador for the Petronas oil company.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2019/10/15/lewis-hamilton-sparks-concern-social-media-post-stating-feel/amp/#aoh=15712951021692&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

No chance she went off script. Have you seen any of the videos where she is asked a question and doesn’t have a prepared answer?? She’s literally a puppet on a string

She's. 16.

What level of knowledge and ability to think quickly and articulate do you think the average 16 year old has in their second language.

She's. 16.

What level of knowledge and ability to think quickly and articulate do you think the average 16 year old has in their second language.

She literally can’t answer any questions. None. Without a script. She’s a child actor. Quick to put on the rage when the script calls for it. Without a script she is just an ignorant child.

She's. 16.

Zero by the looks of it. She has a speech writing team. Her job is to look pïssed off and slightly confused.

She literally can’t answer any questions. None. Without a script. She’s a child actor. Quick to put on the rage when the script calls for it. Without a script she is just an ignorant child.

Sorry, but that is just some fantasy you're clinging to.
    It has no basis in the reality of what age has said or done over the last year.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but that is just some fantasy you're clinging to.
    It has no basis in the reality of what age has said or done over the last year.

https://youtu.be/0bwLt_5t73g

She couldn’t answer a simple question, that is right down her alley. But no script and Greta can’t act.

its beautiful isnt it. greta fans vs greta sceptics

GS:"shes just a child. why is anyone looking to her for solutions?"

GF:"listen to greta saying listen to the scientists! what a hero"

GS: "the main stuff she says that gets attention seems to be questionable at best. why do we need a child to tell anyone to listen to scientists?"

GF: "no she literally only says to listen to scientists she has literally made tens of millions of people walk on roads zomg we are saved"

GS: "that addresses......none of the questions?"

GF: "why do you hate the planet. why do you hate children and women?"

GS:" is....that your case? that asking questions about all of this means i hate the planet, or greta, or anything? why is her message a non-message, why is she platformed so heavily while clearly not being qualified for any of this?'

GF:"shes just a child. why is anyone looking to her for solutions?"

and rotate

its beautiful isnt it. greta fans vs greta sceptics

GS:"shes just a child. why is anyone looking to her for solutions?"

GF:"listen to greta saying listen to the scientists! what a hero"

GS: "the main stuff she says that gets attention seems to be questionable at best. why do we need a child to tell anyone to listen to scientists?"

GF: "no she literally only says to listen to scientists she has literally made tens of millions of people walk on roads zomg we are saved"

GS: "that addresses......none of the questions?"

GF: "why do you hate the planet. why do you hate children and women?"

GS:" is....that your case? that asking questions about all of this means i hate the planet, or greta, or anything? why is her message a non-message, why is she platformed so heavily while clearly not being qualified for any of this?'

GF:"shes just a child. why is anyone looking to her for solutions?"

and rotate

imaginative way to present the thread.
    False of course.

It originates from a basis of misunderstanding of course, but that is par for the course for your sceptics.

https://youtu.be/0bwLt_5t73g

She couldn’t answer a simple question, that is right down her alley. But no script and Greta can’t act.

A - I'd like to see when that panel was held and what the rest if it consisted of.

B - it is misrepresenting the basis for assessing Greta. Sceptics are saying "Oh but she doesn't have all the answers", supporters of her are saying "no one has said she does, her message is solid, the impact is evident, why do you have an issue with that?

A - I'd like to see when that panel was held and what the rest if it consisted of.

B - it is misrepresenting the basis for assessing Greta. Sceptics are saying "Oh but she doesn't have all the answers", supporters of her are saying "no one has said she does, her message is solid, the impact is evident, why do you have an issue with that?

B is bollix. She was asked her opinion. Without a script she had none. She wasn’t asked a scientific question, merely her own opinion and she couldn’t answer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She's. 16.

Actually a whole of Swedes and other northern Europeans would be as good if not a lot better than her. Don't assume that what we call second language learning bears any resemblance to the very high level of English fluency that comes out of some of those education systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Queue the latest twitter spiel from the kid who is bunking off school and now advocating that people should break the law

Thunberg says Extinction Rebellion should defy the law

All this from the kid that blames the adults for ruining her future ...

What a delight and inspiration to others - this kid really is ...

Queue the latest twitter spiel from the kid who is bunking off school and now advocating that people should break the law

Thunberg says Extinction Rebellion should defy the law

All this from the kid that blames the adults for ruining her future ...

What a delight and inspiration to others - this kid really is ...

And, once again, you know she is not bunking off school, she has taken a year out. It doesn't reflect well on you to not be able to recall that fact day after day.

It's specifically the controversial law brought in in London preventing assembly.
    She is not saying all laws must be broken.
    Are you ok with free expression being quashed?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

I see Lewis Hamilton is jumping on the bandwagon too. Complaining about everyone else while he flies all over the world to races and his stupid fashion events. Oh, and he's also ambassador for the Petronas oil company.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2019/10/15/lewis-hamilton-sparks-concern-social-media-post-stating-feel/amp/#aoh=15712951021692&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

Owns a 15 million pound private jet and a few million pound worth fleet of cars that have probs 5 litre engines. Absolute tool and this is the sort of nupty peddling stuff he hasnt got a clue about.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Actually a whole of Swedes and other northern Europeans would be as good if not a lot better than her. Don't assume that what we call second language learning bears any resemblance to the very high level of English fluency that comes out of some of those education systems.

Pity, they haven't managed to attract people to a particular message as Greta has. She's doing quite well given her inferiority to so many more. Isn't she? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement