Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Enquiring wrote: »
    You missed the part where every county will be given appropriate funding? We have seen the difference it makes to the standards of counties that would be considered minnows. Dublin hurlers would be considered so prior to the funding. Only one title across the board in the 20 years prior to funding, they won 14 titles at club and inter county level post funding. That would have been unthinkable pre cash injection. The same will happen if teams are given resources. And that's just for minnows, the middle ranked teams will also rise.

You’re a bit late on the appropriate funding, the GAA have been putting that in place for a number of years now! -118 gd personell for the rest of Leinster and rising, millions of euros invested by the GAA. I reckon we’ll see the improvement in Leinster soon enough for example and also in the north through gaelfest. I for one can’t wait, new challenges for this dublin team to face and grow from. I hope they pass with flying colours just as they have time and again against Mayo Kerry and Tyrone, but I know at the same time the margins will keep getting finer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Its also obvious the the split Dublin in 4 followers , dont like hearing the so called split will not happen for a very long time if ever and get very sulky when they hear how good this Dublin team is. .

I see the post you are responding to has resorted to accusing Dublin supporters of abusing people. Really sinking to the bottom of the barrel with this form of personal accusations against Dublin supporters. Says more about the base of their argument than anything else. Play the ball not the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭ooter

Rosita wrote: »

Counties? Which counties?

Dublin senior hurlers are apparently a force now, 20 years of dedicated funding and professional coaching and they lost to laois in 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

tritium wrote: »
    On twenty years time the record books will list this dublin team as the greatest Gaelic football team of all time

No asterix, No footnotes

Simply the best, a team that none of their peers could match and one that changed the way the game is played for the better. A mix of incredible skill and resilience that made their own success story on the field of play

Well of course you'll say that but there are others that will say the asterisk will remain there and use the evidence that it wasn't just the Dublin footballers. It was across the board. Dublin ladies, men's hurlers, underage hurling and football, club hurling and football, they all improved when enormous funding came on board. It's hard to deny the link there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Well of course you'll say that but there are others that will say the asterisk will remain there and use the evidence that it wasn't just the Dublin footballers. It was across the board. Dublin ladies, men's hurlers, underage hurling and football, club hurling and football, they all improved when enormous funding came on board. It's hard to deny the link there.

Is there an asterisk there now?

• Advertisement

You’re a bit late on the appropriate funding, the GAA have been putting that in place for a number of years now! -118 gd personell for the rest of Leinster and rising, millions of euros invested by the GAA. I reckon we’ll see the improvement in Leinster soon enough for example and also in the north through gaelfest. I for one can’t wait, new challenges for this dublin team to face and grow from. I hope they pass with flying colours just as they have time and again against Mayo Kerry and Tyrone, but I know at the same time the margins will keep getting finer

As we've discussed, it's limited to a few counties including Dublin. Strange that you think it will have an effect on elite levels in other counties though, you don't think it helped Dublin at all.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I see the post you are responding to has resorted to accusing Dublin supporters of abusing people. Really sinking to the bottom of the barrel with this form of personal accusations against Dublin supporters. Says more about the base of their argument than anything else. Play the ball not the man.

Didn't John Connellan have to block you on twitter? You were far from the only one. Anyone who dares speak of the over funding of Dublin gets abuse directed at them.

As we've discussed, it's limited to a few counties including Dublin. Strange that you think it will have an effect on elite levels in other counties though, you don't think it helped Dublin at all.

I’m just following the logical steps of your argument. Obviously it doesn’t work perfectly, for example Kildare or Meath failed to win an all ireland in 2014, ie before the project started, but we’ll put that down to this exceptional dublin team mastering time travel ahead of schedule

I’m just following the logical steps of your argument. Obviously it doesn’t work perfectly, for example Kildare or Meath failed to win an all ireland in 2014, ie before the project started, but we’ll put that down to this exceptional dublin team mastering time travel ahead of schedule

You can see standards improving in the few counties receiving extra funding soon. But you deny the improvements caused by the over funding of Dublin for 2 decades

I think that says it all about your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Didn't John Connellan have to block you on twitter? You were far from the only one. Anyone who dares speak of the over funding of Dublin gets abuse directed at them.

How many did John block and why isn't he interested in a debate? Is it because he is consistently ill prepared?

• Advertisement

You can see standards improving in the few counties receiving extra funding soon. But you deny the improvements caused by the over funding of Dublin for 2 decades

I think that says it all about your argument.

Your argument defies the laws of physics

I think that says it all about your argument :)

dobman88 wrote: »
    How many did John block and why isn't he interested in a debate? Is it because he is consistently ill prepared?

You would have to ask John Connellan. I'm sure you condemn the abuse he's received though? He shouldn't have to block people on Twitter for voicing his opinion.

Your argument defies the laws of physics

I think that says it all about your argument :)

So does games development funding assist elite development or not? You're all over the place here.

If it does we will surely see Meath or Kildare in an all Ireland final in the next 2/3 years.

Probably, in one report he claimed that

"The current GAA player experience and pathway of a child in a school or club in Dublin is so far superior, they are disproportionately funded per head compared to a child in a school or club in Athlone or Tullamore," he said.

"Why is that acceptable? All we're asking for is that no longer are the Dublin schools funded so disproportionately at the expense of the clubs and schools down the country.

Even though it’s pretty easy to show that per capita (which mentioning schools implies) dublin receive less than the rest of Leinster. I dont doubt John knows that given the career he has so he either hasn’t done his homework or is deliberately misrepresenting things.

You would have to ask John Connellan. I'm sure you condemn the abuse he's received though? He shouldn't have to block people on Twitter for voicing his opinion.

Well you just said he had to block plenty of people so why say it if you dont know? I'm sure he has better things to do than to reply to me on Twitter.

You seem to speak for other posters a lot. I dont know if he has received abuse. What I do know is he blocked a poster from here for asking why he was ill prepared in an important debate, that doesn't constitute abuse surely? Asking a simple question.

He doesn't need to block anyone that just disagrees with him either tho. If he does get abuse, that person deserves to be blocked, yes.

The 2017 figures I saw on another forum showed that the total grant divided by total population of 5-14 year olds was €8.20 per head, Dublin received €7.60 per head

Connellan did block me. There was zero abuse as alluded by another poster, Connellan just was not up for logical debate. But to use the angle that I abused Connellan suits the other posters rhetoric. The arguments are now a busted flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Connellan did block me. There was zero abuse as alluded by another poster, Connellan just was not up for logical debate. But to use the angle that I abused Connellan suits the other posters rhetoric. The arguments are now a busted flush.

Are you not the person who keeps saying Croke Park isn't Dublin's home ground?
    As Rebelgirl said in a previous post, the way to make changes is go through the GAA process, which is what he's doing.

Well you just said he had to block plenty of people so why say it if you dont know? I'm sure he has better things to do than to reply to me on Twitter.

You seem to speak for other posters a lot. I dont know if he has received abuse. What I do know is he blocked a poster from here for asking why he was ill prepared in an important debate, that doesn't constitute abuse surely? Asking a simple question.

He doesn't need to block anyone that just disagrees with him either tho. If he does get abuse, that person deserves to be blocked, yes.

He blocked people for abuse he was receiving. That's not right. There's no way of dressing that up.

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Are you not the person who keeps saying Croke Park isn't Dublin's home ground?
    As Rebelgirl said in a previous post, the way to make changes is go through the GAA process, which is what he's doing. I highly doubt he has time to be debating with trolls online.

Cheers Jeff, I am always guaranteed a response from you at some stage.

Probably, in one report he claimed that

Even though it’s pretty easy to show that per capita (which mentioning schools implies) dublin receive less than the rest of Leinster. I dont doubt John knows that given the career he has so he either hasn’t done his homework or is deliberately misrepresenting things.

The East Leinster project doesn't include Offaly or Westmeath and the funding was never done on a per capita basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Cheers Jeff, I am always guaranteed a response from you at some stage.

No offense intended by the way.

You can't even respond to any of my posts because of the schooling you received earlier in the thread. The lack of condemnation of the abuse John Connellan has received is very telling here.

He blocked people for abuse he was receiving. That's not right. There's no way of dressing that up.

Are you referring to the 1 poster on here that was blocked who has already clarified he did not abuse Connellan or how do you know he blocked people? I've had a look and nothing on his feed to suggest he blocked a load of people.

I agree, nobody should be subject to abuse online.

o
    Are you referring to the 1 poster on here that was blocked who has already clarified he did not abuse Connellan or how do you know he blocked people? I've had a look and nothing on his feed to suggest he blocked a load of people.

The message that is being put as a subtly as a sledgehammer is that I was blocked due to abuse. It could not be further from the truth. If it’s suits a poster that has been schooled by the majority on here. A busted flush. And they know it. The poster with no allegiance to a county, or not he will admit to. Must be really embarrassed of their roots. You can’t take them seriously anymore.

I don't know if the poster here abused him or not, although he's been caught out telling porkies throughout this thread we'll have to take his word for it.

The reports of the abuse are coming from people close to Connellan but those of us who know about daring to discuss this topic, the abuse comes with the territory.

o

The message that is being put as a subtly as a sledgehammer is that I was blocked due to abuse. It could not be further from the truth. If it’s suits a poster that has been schooled by the majority on here. A busted flush. And they know it. The poster with no allegiance to a county, or not he will admit to. Must be really embarrassed of their roots. You can’t take them seriously anymore.

The quote function must be broken for you on my posts?

Pretty sure Bernard brogan got lashed out of it on twitter a while ago when his book came out because he suggested finances had little to do with Dublin's success.
    It'd be nice to see that condemned also.

• Advertisement

The East Leinster project doesn't include Offaly or Westmeath and the funding was never done on a per capita basis.

And he possibly thought he was being quite cute with that sly piece of selective data

From the GAA 2019 annual report, page 196
    Games development allocations by county

Offaly. €212594
    Westmeath. €243372
    Dublin. €1337630

From the CSO
    5-14 year olds by county based on 2016 census
    Offaly. 12096
    Westmeath. 13311
    Dublin. 168828

The numbers don’t support him, Connellans statement was more about rhetoric than facts

Advertisement