Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

blanch152 wrote: »
    In Dublin they got kids who were not playing the game to play the game.

In many rural areas, there are no kids to get playing the game.

Nice assertion. But wrong. Not the case in all but in the majority of the schools I deal with there has been no drop in pupil numbers. Simply kids want to play on the Xbox or play rugby, swimming and a million other things that are available. The days of the GAA being the only gig in town are gone and very little is being done to reverse the dropping numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Nice assertion. But wrong. Not the case in all but in the majority of the schools I deal with there has been no drop in pupil numbers. Simply kids want to play on the Xbox or play rugby, swimming and a million other things that are available. The days of the GAA being the only gig in town are gone and very little is being done to reverse the dropping numbers.

I think some people are finally grasping things.

Unlike down the country, in Dublin the GAA was NEVER the only gig in town. There were several gigs. And GAA was never the first gig. You're getting there lads. Slowly, for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

And eventually the penny will drop with ye that one team having every conceivable advantage under the sun isn't viable for a competition's future............

Even the ultra capitalistic Yanks understand that with their sports...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Slattsy wrote: »
    I think some people are finally grasping things.

Unlike down the country, in Dublin the GAA was NEVER the only gig in town. There were several gigs. And GAA was never the first gig. You're getting there lads. Slowly, for obvious reasons.

That's fine. I have always been aware of the situation in Dublin. So you'd be in agreement the GAA needs to spread their focus further than Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

In schools, yes. Outside of that?

Where is the big jump in all these non white kids playing club gaa in Dublin?
    There hasn't been 5 players in the last 10 years playing for Dublin from a different family background on a minor or U21/20 team

Once again, we get the completely mistaken view that the money should result in getting players at inter-county level. It shouldn’t and it doesn’t.

So many times I have to explain that the money is used to increase juvenile participation, that every kid gets attention, not just the good ones, with special needs schools getting GDOs.

When you ask where are the non-white kids on inter-county teams, you are actually proving my point that the money spent is unrelated to what comes through at inter-county level.

Dublin is not Kerry where millions is spent on hot housing the best young kids. Just last week IT Tralee had to get a multi-million government bailout for the Kerry Sports Academy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just last week IT Tralee had to get a multi-million government bailout for the Kerry Sports Academy.

Nonsense. Couldn't happen. Sure we all know everything sports-related in Kerry is funded by lotto tickets and collection buckets outside churches, and not a red cent from anywhere else unlike those Dubs who get cheques in the post for more money than they asked for.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

So only the Pale should get government funds?

I knew the sense of entitlement was strong but even this astounds me

Mod: Banned for ignoring mod instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭dunnerc

TrueGael wrote: »
    So only the Pale should get government funds?

I knew the sense of entitlement was strong but even this astounds me

So who said this exactly ? stop trolling

2 posts above mine

Also when other counties applied to the shysters at the top for similar funding they were told to go fvck themselves, only the golden child was deemed worthy of investment, well they got why they wanted and they'll get more and more empty seats next year and beyond for that decision

TrueGael wrote: »
    2 posts above mine

Also when other counties applied to the shysters at the top for similar funding they were told to go fvck themselves, only the golden child was deemed worthy of investment, well they got why they wanted and they'll get more and more empty seats next year and beyond for that decision

It really doesn't say that at all. In fact it refutes your argument that only Dublin getting investment.
    Please find us the statement where someone says that "only the Pale should get government funds".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

dunnerc wrote: »
    Galway have 8 times the population of Leitrim, , are you not concerned that this is not a level playing field ? Will splitting Dublin help Leitrim , Tipp , Waterford etc ? This calling for Dublin to be split is nonsense it would destroy GAA in the County , and would see the " inter-county game die "

How many times has dublin the population of leitrim? Have you no concern of that yourself? Or does this concern over leitrim begin and end where it suits you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It really doesn't say that at all. In fact it refutes your argument that only Dublin getting investment.
    Please find us the statement where someone says that "only the Pale should get government funds".

The term Pale is being used to get a reaction. No other reason. I’d leave this particular poster off to wallow in the own self pity.

In Dublin they got kids who were not playing the game to play the game.

In many rural areas, there are no kids to get playing the game.

What rural areas are these specifically?

ArielAtom wrote: »
    The term Pale is being used to get a reaction. No other reason. I’d leave this particular poster off to wallow in the own self pity.

Not really to be honest with you. It isnt an insulting term, or at least far less so than a term like culchie for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Because there are Dubs in every surrounding counties who will only go to Dublin games and only bring their kids to Dublin games and generally contribute little to the local gaa clubs

How many times has dublin the population of leitrim? Have you no concern of that yourself? Or does this concern over leitrim begin and end where it suits you?

I've no concern about the population differences, anymore than it seemed to be a concern when the inter county game was started. It's a fact of life, there is nothing unfair - or fair - about it. Anymore than it's unfair that Ireland competes versus Germany or China at sports, or Uruguay versus Brazil.

There was no mythic time of equality. There's always been counties with multiples of the counties of other populations, 6 times, 10 times, so what. The county boundaries weren't gerrymandered with the intention of giving some counties a sporting advantage over another. The population increases or decreases are driven by factors that have absolutely nothing to do with sport.

But when someone makes an issue about concerns re: population differences, it does seem reasonable to point out their inconsistency. It comes across as a self-serving to focus on the time where the multiple is against you while ignoring the situations where the multiple is in your favour.

Because there are Dubs in every surrounding counties who will only go to Dublin games and only bring their kids to Dublin games and generally contribute little to the local gaa clubs

And? It's not as if there's a rule that only members of a GAA club could attend matches in Croke Park???
    Does this mean someone from Mayo or Kerry living in Dublin who isn't in a GAA club shouldn't be allowed to attend games?

How many times has Galway the population of Leitrim ? yes I have concern that's why everything should be looked at in ALL 32 COUNTIES , not just in Dublin , which is all that concerns you , obviously just to suit your counties needs , I suspect you don't give a monkeys for the weaker counties.;)

Not really to be honest with you. It isnt an insulting term, or at least far less so than a term like culchie for example.

Has the term culchie been used in this thread ?

It is though. I have not used the term culchie to describe anyone. I am the son of a Limerick man, so understand it as an insult. The term pale used by the other poster was most definitely used in a derogatory way.

• Advertisement

And what has the population of surrounding counties got to do with Dublin dominance?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

It is though. I have not used the term culchie to describe anyone. I am the son of a Limerick man, so understand it as an insult. The term pale used by the other poster was most definitely used in a derogatory way.

And a lot of people living in Dublin are Culchies who head home every weekend as well as foreign nationals who have zero affiliation to the GAA, my son has 4 teachers from Cork who would be anti Dublin to say the least, so no benefit to Dublin GAA.

:confused::confused::pac:

bruschi wrote: »
    :confused::confused::pac:

Bit like your goodself correcting me in my use of terms such as GDO, GPO. You have since states they are very much similar. You must have a some time to go searching. I do apologise if I offended anyone.

Is there a better alternative term to culchie than "non-Dub"? Suggestions?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Bit like your goodself correcting me in my use of terms such as GDO, GPO. You have since states they are very much similar. You must have a some time to go searching. I do apologise if I offended anyone.

some time? There is a little search bar at the top there, you type in a word and it searches the thread. Takes about 10 seconds.

I gave up on the GDA/GDO/GPO as everyone just interchanges them the whole time anyway. Maybe the use of GPO in Dublin was making things confusing. People wondering why a post office in O Connell street was being mentioned as an employee in their clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

And what has the population of surrounding counties got to do with Dublin dominance?

Do those second generation Dubs ever play for the county of that their parents chose to migrate to?

We have two Dub families in our club and the kids have missed club games at U10 and U14 because daddy is bringing them up to Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Do those second generation Dubs ever play for the county of that their parents chose to migrate to?

We have two Dub families in our club and the kids have missed club games at U10 and U14 because daddy is bringing them up to Croke Park

An U10 missing a club game to go to CP is not unreasonable. Even if it is to support the county of their parents. I work with two Kerry ladies, it's yerra this and up the kingdom that. The only thing is neither of them ever lived in Kerry. Both born and reared, and now 40 - 50 years later, still living in Dublin. It was lucky for them that their parents hailed from the Kingdom, and not some less successful county!!

Is there a better alternative term to culchie than "non-Dub"? Suggestions?

What is wrong with just saying non-dub? If you are attempting to refer to people who are not from dublin, then logically you would think it is perfectly apt. Where is the requirment for a demeaning phrase there?
    That is like someone saying, what else can I call dubs, but jackeens? Or what else can I call black people but the n word?

Better yet, stop thinking of people as dubs and non dubs. Why are you lumping everyone else into one category? It points to a real parochial, and kinda militant outlook, that I dont really understand. I mean you live 30 odd miles from these people, you cant be as different as you seem to believe you are.

I've no concern about the population differences, anymore than it seemed to be a concern when the inter county game was started. It's a fact of life, there is nothing unfair - or fair - about it. Anymore than it's unfair that Ireland competes versus Germany or China at sports, or Uruguay versus Brazil.

There was no mythic time of equality. There's always been counties with multiples of the counties of other populations, 6 times, 10 times, so what. The county boundaries weren't gerrymandered with the intention of giving some counties a sporting advantage over another. The population increases or decreases are driven by factors that have absolutely nothing to do with sport.

But when someone makes an issue about concerns re: population differences, it does seem reasonable to point out their inconsistency. It comes across as a self-serving to focus on the time where the multiple is against you while ignoring the situations where the multiple is in your favour.

And yet, dublin being serial underachievers was a fact of life. But there was an intervention which changed the game entirely.
    So obviously, the gaa dont share you opinion, and considering you never complained about that, you must have only developed this view very, very recently.
    Self-serving indeed...

That is what undermines this stance that many dubs om this thread push, where they talk about disparities and things not being fair being normal in sport. When it was dublin in that situation, this famed natural order was deliberately changed. Which in turn, totally undermines any railing against another change to it.

You cant have it every way. If guys want natural order then dublin need to pay back all monies taken and move forward from there. You cant pick and choose what parts of the natural order you want. That isnt natural order, it is just your ideal situation.

• Advertisement

So bringing kids to witness how football should be played is a bad thing??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement