Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

wrangler wrote: »
    +1, referring to them as parasites is poor form, indeed farmers could be the parasites of vets, poor paying, poor facilities and out of hours calls. I'm sure they get it all.
    Ìn a practise with three or four vets there might be only one working for the department.

Ah it was meant in a lighthearted way.
    A parasite is a being that depends on a host for survival.

If it's any consolation I consider bankers, insurance agents, milk processors, bord bia, department of agriculture, machinery makers and sellers, fert and meal sellers, all parasites too.

I left that word open for changing too.
    It's nice to see acknowledgements from the vets and a bit of truth that they are worried about their future with the reduction in numbers of clients.
    There's too many pulling on the farmer and charging well in excess of what that farmer is earning that nearly all never put those two things together and are then wondering why no successors are taking that farmers place.
    It's a bit of cosmic justice for those who do so.

I have a great vet, one of the best in the country and never an issue with paying them.
    But I still got a kick out of that tweet. I'm terrible so what. Shoot me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Huge turnover here in our local vet practice. Everytime you ring, there seems to be a different vet coming out. One recent vet in particular is a serious good vet but his poor english is a bit of an obstacle.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Can't read the Vet article either but 'parasites' is a poor term to use. The relationship has to be more 'symbiotic'.

The best farms I go to have two generations pulling together, maybe with some argy-bargy, where one provides enthusiasm/forward thinking and the other a repository of life-experience. Both are needed.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Can't read the Vet article either but 'parasites' is a poor term to use. The relationship has to be more 'symbiotic'.

The best farms I go to have two generations pulling together, maybe with some argy-bargy, where one provides enthusiasm/forward thinking and the other a repository of life-experience. Both are needed.

A symbiotic relationship..
    That's a better term.

I owe you a cup of tea..:D

Edit: it probably doesn't matter in the long term though. We'll all be phecked into oblivion. The last men standing will be Glanbia and aibp. Both importing veggie burgers from south America and labelled "product of Ireland".
    Vets will have to rely on the pet business for survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Clear test this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭1373

A couple of years ago ,rang the vet on a bank holiday looking for a few white powders for a scoured animal ,he answered the phone and told me he was at his own house and to call up to him and collect. Met him at the door and asked would these do for a calf .Bill arrives at the end of month with a couple of euros for the powders and €20 consultation charge . Mentioned it to his partner who wouldn’t believe me till I showed him the bill .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

1373 wrote: »
    A couple of years ago ,rang the vet on a bank holiday looking for a few white powders for a scoured animal ,he answered the phone and told me he was at his own house and to call up to him and collect. Met him at the door and asked would these do for a calf .Bill arrives at the end of month with a couple of euros for the powders and €20 consultation charge . Mentioned it to his partner who wouldn’t believe me till I showed him the bill .

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

How far do you think €20 would go in a medical consultation.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

20 euro here for a repeat prescription at the doctors. €55 for a gp visit.

• Advertisement

That some comparison . A vet can walk into your yard treat an animal, shock the animals system resulting in immediate death . Drive out your gate and no consequences or explanation offered and not a thing to be done about it

Danzy wrote: »
    And?

I know of no other vet practice who do that , most of them offer advice when asked about animals . His partner was shocked by it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

That some comparison . A vet can walk into your yard treat an animal, shock the animals system resulting in immediate death . Drive out your gate and no consequences or explanation offered and not a thing to be done about it

if you could find another vet to say the vet did something wrong and had some kind of proof then you have an avenue to sue.

Chit chat was down for me there for a while, was it like that for everyone? Annual ms table quiz on locally tonight. Real eye opener. Some people really deteriorate in the year from when you last saw them. Your health is your wealth

ganmo wrote: »
    if you could find another vet to say the vet did something wrong and had some kind of proof then you have an avenue to sue.
    I’ll give an example of what happened on our farm a while back . Called vet to look at cow , when finished I asked him to look at scoured calf I had been treating, calf is sitting up going ok , vet come back in with his injections , give it to calf , calf immediately lays off and dies . Vet looks at me ,shrugs the shoulders and tells me he would have died anyway . I doubt you’ll ever find a vet who will cross another vet . We now use a great vets practice and to give an example of how vets differ , he will ring or drop in the day after doing a c-section to make sure everything is good . And he won’t charge €20 for this advice . He is the only vet I know that I could compare to a doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Wasn’t a nice evening to be out with the wobble box but we’re drinking tea now and beer in the fridge.

1-FCAE6-A3-90-AA-4871-BF62-C04186-A0640-F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Trust the IT to twist that into a headline for the screamers...

This is the same UN who tried to claim that agriculture was responsible for more emissions than transport and ended up egg on their faces

The same ****e which is quoted by extremists to this day ...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/climatechange/7509978/UN-admits-flaw-in-report-on-meat-and-climate-change.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭Base price

greysides wrote: »

I have stated on F&F before that our Vet is as much integral to our business as either myself or OH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

That's more of an exception than a regular occurance I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭visatorro

_Brian wrote: »
    Wasn’t a nice evening to be out with the wobble box but we’re drinking tea now and beer in the fridge.

1-FCAE6-A3-90-AA-4871-BF62-C04186-A0640-F.jpg

Where did you head for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Can’t complain about our vet, always explains things, no question I ask is a stupid one, sure he has made mistakes but who hasn’t and to be fair he has saved us on a good few occasions.

Bullocks wrote: »
    That's more of an exception than a regular occurance I'd imagine

If you have a good vet then yes these things don’t happen, but if you have a lousy practice then no it’s not the exception

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

visatorro wrote: »
    Where did you head for?

Kilbroney in Rostrevor.

I won't be requiring the services of a vet tonight!!
    There's a mouse in the bedroom booked for a one way ticket.
    Trap is baited and set. Gob will stay closed and breathe through my nose...

Just home from table quiz alarm set for 4.30 am to get to airport to gi to liverpool. 5 milkings off.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

whelan2 wrote: »
    Just home from table quiz alarm set for 4.30 am to get to airport to gi to liverpool. 5 milkings off.

Well for some. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Need a win this weekend to get us back on track. Enjoy!

I hope the table quiz made lots of money.

Enjoy the break.

I won't be requiring the services of a vet tonight!!
    There's a mouse in the bedroom booked for a one way ticket.
    Trap is baited and set. Gob will stay closed and breathe through my nose...
    From reading most of your posts on F&F you appear to have a big mouth but I doubt that it would even appeal as receptacle for a rodent.

:)

• Advertisement

Parishlad wrote: »
    Need a win this weekend to get us back on track. Enjoy!

Ye. Should be a good game. Southampton got some beating last night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement