Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

GDP per capita : Rep of Ireland : $78,700.
    GDP per capita : N.Ireland : $30,500.

Talking to a young lad from Derrylin (Fermanagh) who qualified as a Primary school teacher two years ago.
    He hasn't a permanent post yet but is in his second "tempory" years work in a town local to him.
    He was telling me that a newly qualified teacher in the exact same situation to himself, but living in Southern Ireland will earn 9500 euro more per year.
    And I thought our young teachers were poorly paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Talking to a young lad from Derrylin (Fermanagh) who qualified as a Primary school teacher two years ago.
    He hasn't a permanent post yet but is in his second "tempory" years work in a town local to him.
    He was telling me that a newly qualified teacher in the exact same situation to himself, but living in Southern Ireland will earn 9500 euro more per year.
    And I thought our young teachers were poorly paid?

It’s the same for Doctors, Nurses, Dentist etc
    The cost of living if far less compared to here
    Since the Euro money doesn’t last

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭kk.man

If i was a unionist in the North i be welcoming the back stop with open arms.
    A financial or big industry would have the best of both worlds access to the UK and EU markets. The IDA and 12.5& corporation tax would quate in their boots as they be a rush to get into Northern Ireland for the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My dads landcruiser failed the doe on a rusty chassis. When they went to take off the diesel tank it was rotten. Rang a load of scrap yards and eventually got one in west cork. €150 delivered. They are 800 euro new

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

whelan2 wrote: »
    My dads landcruiser failed the doe on a rusty chassis. When they went to take off the diesel tank it was rotten. Rang a load of scrap yards and eventually got one in west cork. €150 delivered. They are 800 euro new

Probably Tim Fitzpatrick. He has everything for 4x4s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Getting to know local breakers yards has saved me serious money over the years:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,533 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

www.findapart.ie

Put up a request and scrap yards reply with what they have.

Brother got a door and boot lid for his wife’s car in exact colour delivered for small money fro Wexford. We were able to fit them ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Odelay

They have to be easily identifiable

Don’t think they have any fear of that. I’d be surprised if they will suffer any punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

_Brian wrote: »
    www.findapart.ie

Put up a request and scrap yards reply with what they have.

Brother got a door and boot lid for his wife’s car in exact colour delivered for small money fro Wexford. We were able to fit them ourselves.
    You'd want to be double checking on models and details as it's easy to have sight differences on what would appear to be the same car, speaking from experience here. Also simple things like scrapyards cutting off the electric's on doors instead of unplugging them would drive you to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭Grueller

You'd want to be double checking on models and details as it's easy to have sight differences on what would appear to be the same car, speaking from experience here. Also simple things like scrapyards cutting off the electric's on doors instead of unplugging them would drive you to drink.

Plus, in my experience, the most ignorant strain of humanity tend to inhabit scrap yards.

Grueller wrote: »
    Plus, in my experience, the most ignorant strain of humanity tend to inhabit scrap yards.

Have you recovered from the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭Grueller

Have you recovered from the weekend?

Ya thanks Whelan. Was touch and go there Monday, wouldn't have took a lot to see me in the back of the knackery truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Probably Tim Fitzpatrick. He has everything for 4x4s

He won a court case lately over exporting car parts.
    https://www.southernstar.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/10/16/4180914-leap-man-wins-his-case-over-halfcut-4x4s/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Apologies if I offend you Greysides but this tweet gave me a giggle..

https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1187327124652380160?s=20

It's nice to see a section of the parasites that live off farmers getting worried about numbers.

(Mods swap the word parasites if ye can think of a nicer word to describe the action).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It's nice to see a section of the parasites that live off farmers getting worried about numbers.

(Mods swap the word parasites if ye can think of a nicer word to describe the action).

Ah, excellent, another link to click only to get a page saying I have to subscribe to read it... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I doubt there's any farmer that works as hard as most of the vets .......don't know why they do it

Ah, excellent, another link to click only to get a page saying I have to subscribe to read it... :)

Basically one vet is running out of cash as there's two or three less dairy farmers on the books every year.
    The vet also states the remaining part time sheep and beef farmers are mane hoors for payment and they only see them after 6pm.

wrangler wrote: »
    I doubt there's any farmer that works as hard as most of the vets .......don't know why they do it

Factory jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Basically one vet is running out of cash as there's two or three less dairy farmers on the books every year.
    The vet also states the remaining part time sheep and beef farmers are mane hoors for payment and they only see them after 6pm.

is it a letter in or an article?
    Loosing clients in any business happens, I'm surprised that he's loosing dairy clients with nobody coming in and expanding either renting their ground or something.

as regards the opening hours etc, if the business you're in is changing ya might want to change with it or you might go like Kodak

ganmo wrote: »
    is it a letter in or an article?
    Loosing clients in any business happens, I'm surprised that he's loosing dairy clients with nobody coming in and expanding either renting their ground or something.

as regards the opening hours etc, if the business you're in is changing ya might want to change with it or you might go like Kodak

Nah the first bit about the dairy farmers retiring and no successors, was true.

The second bit about the beef and sheep farmers was me being an ass. :D

wrangler wrote: »

Well you did ask..

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/department-wastes-millions-on-factory-vets-leaked-report-496892

And for anyone that can't read that one.
    The dept were employing inspectors to inspect carcases but the vets who didn't need to be there were also inspecting the carcases and claiming from the dept 75/hr. The article claims vets got €4 million Euro that shouldn't have been claimed for and paid out by the dept.

As humans none of us are infallible.

I've absolutely nothing against vets either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

€20 an hour raise back in July, backdated to Febuary .
    Every bit helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭older by the day

People are damn glad to see the vet when they are in emergency. And you wouldn't ask the price at 3 in the morning and hail stone failing and a calf stuck . If the people's healthcare was as good as the service the vets provide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Odelay

People are damn glad to see the vet when they are in emergency. And you wouldn't ask the price at 3 in the morning and hail stone failing and a calf stuck . If the people's healthcare was as good as the service the vets provide

You’re right on the healthcare, it’s stunning what a vet.can get done. I’d fancy my chances with a vet sooner than the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Odelay wrote: »
    You’re right on the healthcare, it’s stunning what a vet.can get done. I’d fancy my chances with a vet sooner than the hospital.

For me, reliable people are the most important for My development as a farmer and my vet is phenomenal. Great at advice, never over charges. Very rarely extremely late and just sound all round. Very caring towards animals too and has their best interest at heart.
    I am very lucky with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

If you compare a Vets qualification with a Medical GP, a GP who doesn’t carry out major surgery, charges approx. €60 every 15-20 minute for a consultation, prescription or a referral, and rarely does call outs . GPs with no evening or week end clinics, or have the majority of their work crammed into Spring.

We would be in quare street, left on our own with C-Section, Uterine prolapse, Torsion, a broken limb, bloat, the list goes on.

How much nicer a Vet would have it in a city practice caring for fluffy pussy cats, poodles, rabbits and hamsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

+1, referring to them as parasites is poor form, indeed farmers could be the parasites of vets, poor paying, poor facilities and out of hours calls. I'm sure they get it all.
    Ìn a practise with three or four vets there might be only one working for the department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,533 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Our cat was attacked few weeks ago and was in bad way.

Rang on Sunday 2pm and vet met me in the office in 30 minutes.

Stitches, antibiotics three times in surgery and 12 days tablets, anti inflammatory injections and tablets.
    Iv fluids. 2 nights stay, x-ray.

All for €61

I deal with two separate vet practices and both are excellent. And certainly don’t overcharge for their services.

Allot of farmers are moaney cnuts who don’t value their own time and expect others to be likewise. But still expect the vet to drop everything and run to them when they are in trouble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement