Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭kk.man

I honestly don't think I will ever fadom Northern Ireland politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

Base price wrote: »
    As I posted in the Brexit thread I associate him with "No Surrender" and I thought that both sides have moved on from that type of rhetoric but it seems to be trying to rear it's ugly head again :mad:

That's going to take many, many lifetimes to fade, if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

kk.man wrote: »
    I honestly don't think I will ever fadom Northern Ireland politics.

Both my parents had siblings went to live up North, so I have a clatter of cousins up there with families of their own.
    It's interesting to see how far the same tribe of people have diverged in 100 years.
    There is absolutely no arguing with a majority of them, they are a completely different people now.
    I don't even mention Brexit when talking to them, they are like wasps.
    A United Ireland would take another 100 years to settle into something where people could just get along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

5 weanlings off today. Doubt they will do any good. One nice lad, they are all off small cows that are very easily kept.

Spent a fair while getting in one lad. Shows the need for a bit of a hand.

I’ll be cutting back numbers.

Has anyone used the milk samples to test for pregnancy? Where would I get them in clare? I’ve 3 to check and thought I’d try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I hate weaning. Fences pulled down and cows everywhere this morning :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

My cows go into the shed for 2 days after I sell the weanlings. I learned the hard way.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

My cows go into the shed for 2 days after I sell the weanlings. I learned the hard way.

If I had the facility's and space I'd be doing the same but Rome wasn't built in a day. It's fair annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Grueller

Same as that. Learned the hard way in a 40 acre field of barley weaning autumn calvers one June.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

No help to you, but that's where a slatted shed comes in. Cows one side. Calves the other!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Muckit wrote: »
    No help to you, but that's where a slatted shed comes in. Cows one side. Calves the other!!

We lock cows in the shed where calves can get to next pen day1, gate across door day 2, field gate locked day 3

• Advertisement

Have a heifer that was twin to a bull
    She was born in April
    Getting some cows scanned, is she old enough to Check for free Martin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

After spending most of the morning looking for quotes for car insurance, I reckon I could easily handle being questioned as the main suspect in a murder inquiry:D

€309 fully comp for an 8yo 1.6D isn't too bad, I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

After spending most of the morning looking for quotes for car insurance, I reckon I could easily handle being questioned as the main suspect in a murder inquiry:D

€309 fully comp for an 8yo 1.6D isn't too bad, I think?

That’s decent in fairness I’d be jumping on it.

Saw bales of silage made near Cavan town today.

Serious dry ground not marked a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

_Brian wrote: »
    That’s decent in fairness I’d be jumping on it.

Yeah, have home and OH car there as well so it all helps. Still waiting to see how much getting the eldest added later in the year will add on before I commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Yeah, have home and OH car there as well so it all helps. Still waiting to see how much getting the eldest added later in the year will add on before I commit.

Getting young lad insured here last year was nearly as much as the whole farm policy. Our passenger jeep was classed as commercial and he couldn't get insured on that. My no claims bonus was on that. So we bought a car and had to insure it with no no claims bonus. Couldn't get get insured on anything below year 2010....

whelan2 wrote: »
    Getting young lad insured here last year was nearly as much as the whole farm policy. Our passenger jeep was classed as commercial and he couldn't get insured on that. My no claims bonus was on that. So we bought a car and had to insure it with no no claims bonus. Couldn't get get insured on anything below year 2010....

I spoke to Aviva.

They quoted me similar to my existing policy.
    If we bought the compulsory lessons of them they would add our lass to my policy for free for 6 months.

I spoke to Aviva.

They quoted me similar to my existing policy.
    If we bought the compulsory lessons of them they would add our lads to my policy for free for 6 months.

I couldn't even get quotes from other places

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

The girlfriend had the same issue lately, she’s learning to drive and a few place said nothing older than 2010, premium €2500 at that.
    She got insurance with axa on a 05 Yaris in her own name for €1800, reckon she couldn’t do any better than that

Broker in town usually fairly reasonable told her the best they could do was €2300, that was with axa too...

TheFarrier wrote: »
    The girlfriend had the same issue lately, she’s learning to drive and a few place said nothing older than 2010, premium €2500 at that.
    She got insurance with axa on a 05 Yaris in her own name for €1800, reckon she couldn’t do any better than that

Broker in town usually fairly reasonable told her the best they could do was €2300, that was with axa too...

Young lad was 17 last year on provisional licence. Was 3800 last year. 3000 this year. He hasn't passed the decking test yet..... due to resit it again soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Young lad was 17 last year on provisional licence. Was 3800 last year. 3000 this year. He hasn't passed the decking test yet..... due to resit it again soon

we found brittons donegal & powers limerick very competitive and helpful for young drivers

local brokers were useless, either no quote or else telephone figures,

liberty and 123.ie were sometimes fairly good as well,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Have a heifer that was twin to a bull
    She was born in April
    Getting some cows scanned, is she old enough to Check for free Martin?

Yes to an extent anyway, a lot of them don't even have vaginal passages developed.

Yes to an extent anyway, a lot of them don't even have vaginal passages developed.

Thanks & fingers crossed

There’s lots of things I never thought I’d say and people I never ever thought I’d agree with.

Borris Johnson is right.
    The U.K. shouldn’t get any further extensions. Just get the Brexit shiit show on the road and let’s be having it. Deal or no deal who cares at this stage. They did nothing with he last extension but bicker and have stupid votes and they will do the same with any further extension

I also think the DUP should have supported him. If he somehow gets it through without support from NI he will make sure they turn their arse to the north and it will be a wasteland through lack of funding within a short few years.

I shall go sit on a dark room now and reflect on having to say those things.

Unbelievable the amount of young people driving around with no insurance or licence. We are paying for them through the crazy rates we are paying

• Registered Users Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There’s lots of things I never thought I’d say and people I never ever thought I’d agree with.

Borris Johnson is right.
    The U.K. shouldn’t get any further extensions. Just get the Brexit shiit show on the road and let’s be having it. Deal or no deal who cares at this stage. They did nothing with he last extension but bicker and have stupid votes and they will do the same with any further extension

I also think the DUP should have supported him. If he somehow gets it through without support from NI he will make sure they turn their arse to the north and it will be a wasteland through lack of funding within a short few years.

https://twitter.com/WhispersNewsLTD/status/1186597345850466304?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Borris Johnson is right.

It seems that Northern Ireland costs more to run annually than the entire UK's EU spend.
    Thats shaky ground for the DUP to be on.
    Theres only so long you can keep using the excuse "we supported you in 1914 and again in 1939".

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    It seems that Northern Ireland costs more to run annually than the entire UK's EU spend.
    Thats shaky ground for the DUP to be on.
    Theres only so long you can keep using the excuse "we supported you in 1914 and again in 1939".

10.8 billion pound to the north annually.
    8.6 billion to the EU.

I'd probably wave a Union Jack myself for £10 billion. Spoiled rotten they are.
    The public spend per person in the north is 20% higher than the U.K. average.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Odelay

10.8 billion pound to the north annually.
    8.6 billion to the EU.

I'd probably wave a Union Jack myself for £10 billion. Spoiled rotten they are.
    The public spend per person in the north is 20% higher than the U.K. average.

As far as I’m concerned the north is their problem, they can keep it. I’ve absolutely no interest in it. Apologies to posters from the north.

• Advertisement

Odelay wrote: »
    As far as I’m concerned the north is their problem, they can keep it. I’ve absolutely no interest in it. Apologies to posters from the north.

GDP per capita : Rep of Ireland : $78,700.
    GDP per capita : N.Ireland : $30,500.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement