Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

I don't think they like me, Base.

I tried to register a calf to her 15mo mother today and they sent me on a nasty email.

Makes me wonder why I bother trying to do things the right way:(

You should have left them in the rushes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The Rabbi wrote: »
    You should have left them in the rushes.

I was tempted:D

The last Limousin calf we had here, back before tagging at birth came in, was only seen in the distance and her first time in the yard was for her first herd test at about 6 months old after spending an age trying to find her in the rushes.

Lets just say, I doubt I'll ever see a Limousin here again:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Interesting tweet.
    Interesting replies.

https://twitter.com/conormulv/status/1264096308777963520?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Anyone know are Cosmo and Vicon spreaders the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Anyone know are Cosmo and Vicon spreaders the same ?

The Cosmo, I was told by the salesman that sold it to me, has the Vicon gearbox in it. It's the most solid (and I guess the most important) part of the spreader.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

The Cosmo, I was told by the salesman that sold it to me, has the Vicon gearbox in it. It's the most solid (and I guess the most important) part of the spreader.

Where did you buy ? There is a Cosmo wagtail here but the fibreglass hopper is gone in it. It's about 10/12 years old and is idle about 4 years. When I took on the farming I just went away and bought a cheap Fressori spreader to get me going but it's starting to corrode already. Gearbox and output lever is perfect on the Cosmo so only makes sense to try locate the hopper.

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Where did you buy ? There is a Cosmo wagtail here but the fibreglass hopper is gone in it. It's about 10/12 years old and is idle about 4 years. When I took on the farming I just went away and bought a cheap Fressori spreader to get me going but it's starting to corrode already. Gearbox and output lever is perfect on the Cosmo so only makes sense to try locate the hopper.

Dan McInerney's, Ennis.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,202 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My nephew and niece wrote letters to leo V and Michael d Higgins. They got a reply from each of them. Might pass some time for some of the younger kids off school at moment. Nice momentous to have for years to come

I don't think they like me, Base.

I tried to register a calf to her 15mo mother today and they sent me on a nasty email.

Makes me wonder why I bother trying to do things the right way:(

Why the nasty email?

Why the nasty email?

Apparently heifers aren't allowed calve before 18 month old.

I wish they had told her that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

whelan2 wrote: »
    My nephew and niece wrote letters to leo V and Michael d Higgins. They got a reply from each of them. Might pass some time for some of the younger kids off school at moment. Nice momentous to have for years to come

Jaysus you would think Leo would have enough to be at?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Cousin had a terrible time getting a calf registered a few years ago to a 15mo heifer. Bet had been out to take the calf, provided a letter and all but Dept wouldn’t accept that.

In the end Dept inspector had to come out and meet the vet and inspect the heifer and calf on farm.

Load of rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 29,202 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    Cousin had a terrible time getting a calf registered a few years ago to a 15mo heifer. Bet had been out to take the calf, provided a letter and all but Dept wouldn’t accept that.

In the end Dept inspector had to come out and meet the vet and inspect the heifer and calf on farm.

Load of rubbish

Jobs for the boys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Jaysus you would think Leo would have enough to be at?;)

Sure he's entitled to spend his vast amount of leisure time as a hse doctor and leader of the country as he wishes 😷

Lesson to all - leave the calf in the rushes for a few months. Just don't register next years calf and further calves down teh line, within 11 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

About 2/3 years ago a neighbour had four sets of twins! The amount of grief brought down on his head from the department was ridiculous. You'd think if was his fault the cows were so fertile.
    One of them originated from my herd. She had a set of twins, her mother had a set and her grandmother had a couple of sets - what's so wrong with that? The propensity for multiple calves would have been in her back breeding. One of the other cows was on her second set and I don't know about the others.
    Is it they think someone is stealing untagged calves and passing them off as their own or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

KatyMac wrote: »
    About 2/3 years ago a neighbour had four sets of twins! The amount of grief brought down on his head from the department was ridiculous. You'd think if was his fault the cows were so fertile.
    One of them originated from my herd. She had a set of twins, her mother had a set and her grandmother had a couple of sets - what's so wrong with that? The propensity for multiple calves would have been in her back breeding. One of the other cows was on her second set and I don't know about the others.
    Is it they think someone is stealing untagged calves and passing them off as their own or what?

Yeah stealing them, 4 sets in 100 dairy cows believable but out of 16 cows would be highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭tanko

There was six sets of twins out of the first eleven calvings here one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The bull should have been charged with having under age sex.

Water John wrote: »
    The bull should have been charged with having under age sex.

I'd say he was a minor himself, John:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

KatyMac wrote: »

It was brought in to counter calves crossing the border back and forth for stamps or whatever back in the day I think.
    Had 8 or 9 sets one year here and only 1 the following year which a grand average over the 2 years. Pia going over the 4 sets alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

They are trying to stop restricted herds moving calves off farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Mooooo wrote: »
    It was brought in to counter calves crossing the border back and forth for stamps or whatever back in the day I think.
    Had 8 or 9 sets one year here and only 1 the following year which a grand average over the 2 years. Pia going over the 4 sets alright.
    From memory it was brought in to prevent farmers claiming extra calf subsidy which was £5 per calf at the time. I remember there were a lot of "twins" registered around that time ;)

They are trying to stop restricted herds moving calves off farm.
    Nothing wrong with that.

Restricted herds can move animals directly to slaughter/factory or to specially approved DAFM herd numbers for rearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Mooooo wrote: »

It wouldn't take much initiative to "foster" one onto a cull cow or one that lost a calf, just to avoid the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Moo is right. It was brought in because lads were bringing calves down from the North with no tags.
    I distinctly remember an ad in the paper "do your cows have alot of twins". It was litterally an ad for Northern calves. The lad at it was the biggest tramp of a calf dealer of all time.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Moo is right. It was brought in because lads were bringing calves down from the North with no tags.
    I distinctly remember an ad in the paper "do your cows have alot of twins". It was litterally an ad for Northern calves. The lad at it was the biggest tramp of a calf dealer of all time.
    Nope, I think your mixing up the calf slaughter scheme with the calf subsidy scheme around that time.
    Edit - FR bull calves were making £60/70 delivered to certain factories excluding commission and transport.
    Edit 2 - there was movements of calves from the North of Ireland and their tags were switched for the slaughter scheme.
    BTW who is the lad, no names but I can guess who he is if he's based in Leinster.

I was trawling through some paperwork to see the date of the original dairy calf slaughter scheme and I came across my first red card/rosette at the RDS Spring Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Base price wrote: »
    I was trawling through some paperwork to see the date of the original dairy calf slaughter scheme and I came across my first red card/rosette at the RDS Spring Show.
    Remember being at the spring show back in ‘79 with my dad. I was 7. Mesmerised by the jcb’s. We ate sooo much icecream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Base price wrote: »
    Nope, I think your mixing up the calf slaughter scheme with the calf subsidy scheme around that time.
    Edit - FR bull calves were making £60/70 delivered to certain factories excluding commission and transport.
    Edit 2 - there was movements of calves from the North of Ireland and their tags were switched for the slaughter scheme.
    BTW who is the lad, no names but I can guess who he is if he's based in Leinster.

It would have been around the year 2000.

Also remember a scheme mid 2000s where the absolute worst cows were sent up the north, tags switched with good cows, good cows were sent back down south to be killed.

I think there was some sort of cull of cows over ten years of age and a flat payment of say €500 whether she was a jex or Pb charolais cow.

Im open to correction but i remember the nordies hovering up the boners in the marts down here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement