Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

Herd test coming up, know calves up to 6 weeks are exempt, was there an extension on this age? Would prefer to keep calves out of the crush

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

jfh wrote: »
    Herd test coming up, know calves up to 6 weeks are exempt, was there an extension on this age? Would prefer to keep calves out of the crush

I put a lorry ratchet strap between the bottom 2 bars to stop the calves getting out and had them seperated from the cows for the test.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Did anyone get a Dept payment around 18th of May?
    Young lad managed to put post letters in bin:(

Mine wasn’t a big amount....just wondering was it the remainder of some payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Log on to agfood and anything sent out will be on your profile

• Registered Users Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Did anyone get a Dept payment around 18th of May?
    Young lad managed to put post letters in bin:(

Mine wasn’t a big amount....just wondering was it the remainder of some payment?

We got theFinal payment of the sheep welfare scheme last week

Approx €1.50/ewe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

I put a lorry ratchet strap between the bottom 2 bars to stop the calves getting out and had them seperated from the cows for the test.

Now that's a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

jfh wrote: »
    Now that's a good idea

Vet told me to do it a few years back, so I won't take credit for it.:D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Why the nasty email?
    DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Moo is right. It was brought in because lads were bringing calves down from the North with no tags.
    I distinctly remember an ad in the paper "do your cows have alot of twins". It was litterally an ad for Northern calves. The lad at it was the biggest tramp of a calf dealer of all time.

I know a milk tanker driver who established a small herd back in the "aluminium calf tag" days.
    Them side lockers hold more than pipes and couplings...
    And the Fermanagh accent soon went away, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There was a Glas 15% I think also Hen Harrier money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

KatyMac wrote: »
    About 2/3 years ago a neighbour had four sets of twins! The amount of grief brought down on his head from the department was ridiculous. You'd think if was his fault the cows were so fertile.
    One of them originated from my herd. She had a set of twins, her mother had a set and her grandmother had a couple of sets - what's so wrong with that? The propensity for multiple calves would have been in her back breeding. One of the other cows was on her second set and I don't know about the others.
    Is it they think someone is stealing untagged calves and passing them off as their own or what?

Goes back to the foot and mouth times when calves were being brought in from the north and registered as twins and to cull cows to get a card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Cows had a lot of twins in this area in the late eightys.We thought it could have been connected to Chernobyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not posting this in the biochar thread.
    Posting here so it can disappear graciously.. And i don't think I'm breaking forum rules as it was personal experience and is not advice.
    But I have a calf that has/had coccidiosis.
    He got a shot of penicillin, calf scour tablet (Norodine) and was dosed with charcoal water for four days. This water was as black as oil. It was fine char milled up in the water in the kiln and let back into the ibc tank.
    I was giving him 900ml of the water plus 3 litres of milk twice a day by stomach tube.
    The first day the calf was grinding teeth and straining to dung. Today he was looking to go onto the feeder and the straining has finished. So looks to be well again.
    Personal anecdotal account. Not advice.
    Just read about adding charcoal to animals with cocci elsewhere before trying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Looking second option
    Cow calved, didn’t see calf suck but calf put dung from her
    Isn’t that a sign she had sucked?
    1 teat is slightly cleaner than the rest, not sure if clean enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭tanko

When you feel the calfs stomach you'll know if it sucked enough, it should feel full and tight like a blown up balloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Looking second option
    Cow calved, didn’t see calf suck but calf put dung from her
    Isn’t that a sign she had sucked?
    1 teat is slightly cleaner than the rest, not sure if clean enough

Got her sucking there
    Hadn’t already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

They pass meconium for the first day of their life. It takes about 48 hours before the first true dung from colostrum appears.

Is it just me or is anyone else constantly getting Glanbia connect ads on YouTube?

I got the message the first time.
    I'll be pushed into YouTube premium at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Not posting this in the biochar thread.
    Posting here so it can disappear graciously.. And i don't think I'm breaking forum rules as it was personal experience and is not advice.
    But I have a calf that has/had coccidiosis.
    He got a shot of penicillin, calf scour tablet (Norodine) and was dosed with charcoal water for four days. This water was as black as oil. It was fine char milled up in the water in the kiln and let back into the ibc tank.
    I was giving him 900ml of the water plus 3 litres of milk twice a day by stomach tube.
    The first day the calf was grinding teeth and straining to dung. Today he was looking to go onto the feeder and the straining has finished. So looks to be well again.
    Personal anecdotal account. Not advice.
    Just read about adding charcoal to animals with cocci elsewhere before trying this.

I'll try it if I get Corona virus, on your recommendation.

Danzy wrote: »
    I'll try it if I get Corona virus, on your recommendation.

That's the spirit.
    My name is John Gibbons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Anyone have an idea what a mf35 is worth, tin work reasonable, all lights working. I’ve had a look on dd but nothing comparable. Not too many of them on dd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea what a mf35 is worth, tin work reasonable, all lights working. I’ve had a look on dd but nothing comparable. Not too many of them on dd.

Its weight in gold.
    Be lost here without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Its weight in gold.
    Be lost here without it.

I bought mine in 2006 and it’s served me well but I learned to drive on a zetor 5511 and unfortunately there like hens teeth. Was hoping to get a 3511 or similar with the proceeds of the 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Is it just me or is anyone else constantly getting Glanbia connect ads on YouTube?

I got the message the first time.
    I'll be pushed into YouTube premium at this rate.
    Ublock origin
    Ghostery
    Disconnect
    If all glanbia suppliers stop the ads they might get the message and spend the budget on another cent for Oct. Or go on a deserved holiday before corona returns in the winter lock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭einn32

https://www.patagoniaprovisions.com/pages/why-food-essay

Patagonia are getting in to the game! Taking an organic angle whilst slating agriculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Any one know can a farmer who is not registered for VAT, reclaim the VAT on silage wrap?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

josephsoap wrote: »
    Any one know can a farmer who is not registered for VAT, reclaim the VAT on silage wrap?

Nope

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭emaherx

blue5000 wrote: »

I'd be very tempted to do the same, but not sure I actually would.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

emaherx wrote: »
    I'd be very tempted to do the same, but not sure I actually would.

Easy spread all around it and not actually put it on the car, they'll drag it in themselves on their shoes 😅 that or spread upright upto the gate and leave the car well alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Would be very tempted to plaster the car with slurry. Sadly it will end in a case being taken and honestly the quality of decisions from judges wouldn’t fill my heart with confidence that it would go the right way.

Fair play though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement