Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Don't bother going outside to watch Bob and Doug flying over.

Launch Scrubbed.
    Launch Scrubbed.

Fly another day. The weather called it off.
    Going on Saturday.
    Dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Reggie. wrote: »
    Dammit

Your fault and your negative vibes..

You started it with your jinxing the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One of the wives was saying how she explains to their children that, 'daddy is going to work.'
    He'll be back in 7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/550635491915951141/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Odelay

Water John wrote: »
    One of the wives was saying how she explains to their children that, 'daddy is going to work.'
    He'll be back in 7 months.

Is he at silage too?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Looking for your thoughts on an issue with my bull....was shaking is head crazy one night like he had a bad headache or something, his ears were all droopy and he was grinding his teeth. Walked him up to the farm for the vet with no problem. Vet thought he might have eaten something, assumed it was Red Water he had so dosed him with an injection called Interject. He also suggested we give him 2 cans of Guinness and 2 eggs to flush him out which to be fair it did but the bull is like a zombie in the field, doesn't move much and just picking at grass.....anyone else have a similar situation before? Will be getting another vet to call over for a second opinion in a few days but just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar situation before?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Saw a man today with really bad sunburn. I'd say he's in agony. Be careful out there

Looking for your thoughts on an issue with my bull....was shaking is head crazy one night like he had a bad headache or something, his ears were all droopy and he was grinding his teeth. Walked him up to the farm for the vet with no problem. Vet thought he might have eaten something, assumed it was Red Water he had so dosed him with an injection called Interject. He also suggested we give him 2 cans of Guinness and 2 eggs to flush him out which to be fair it did but the bull is like a zombie in the field, doesn't move much and just picking at grass.....anyone else have a similar situation before? Will be getting another vet to call over for a second opinion in a few days but just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar situation before?

I was always told grinding teeth is a stomach problem

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Ear infection possibly. Did he check his ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

whelan2 wrote: »
    Saw a man today with really bad sunburn. I'd say he's in agony. Be careful out there

Know a lad that fell asleep on the beach for half the day in spain, got some scalding

• Registered Users Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Don't know but a magnet bolus down the throat wouldn't have done any harm when the vet was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We were cutting a paddock for bales this morning and the second lad wanted to finish it up so I said grand, work away. About 1 acre and I had left the easiest section, just straight runs. So off he goes, first time on the mower and was over compensating with his steering and the lines were a bit wavy, to say the least.

I was happy out but the eldest lad wasn't impressed much. Sitting down eating the dinner, and I said I would be ringing the baler to come tomorrow and that No.2 had finished the mowing.

And you'll have to bring the baler man in for tea before he goes, the first lad said.
    Why so said herself.
    Well, he'll want a cup of tea before he goes because he'll be dizzy from driving around in circles to collect the grass:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭tanko

It's hardly that Brown snout/Photosensitization thing. That can drive an animal nuts. Is his nose a different colour and scalded looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

tanko wrote: »
    It's hardly that Brown snout/Photosensitization thing. That can drive an animal nuts. Is his nose a different colour and scalded looking?

Would be high on the checklist

whelan2 wrote: »
    I was always told grinding teeth is a stomach problem
    Ya we thought the same and he's been getting 2 cans of Guiness a day for the last 4 days now. It's the fact that he's so lethargic now is what concerns us.
    Don't know but a magnet bolus down the throat wouldn't have done any harm when the vet was there.
    Hadn't heard of that before but will see what can do
    tanko wrote: »
    He did have a brown/dirty nose at the beginning but that went away after a few days thanks to the dosing I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭straight

Listeria? I hate to hear them grinding teeth as in my experience it usually ends bad. I always thought it was a sign of serious pain or discomfort. Best of luck. At least it's outside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Tbh I be wondering about the vet making a diagnosis like that. Does redwater not normally need a transfusion to sort out? Has he any white on him? Photosynthesisation would cause white parts of the skin to raise and be sore. They would generally be very agitated as well. Kicking and getting up and down. Did he look in the eyes or under the eyelids? Can indicate blood loss I think. Did he check dung for discoloration? Is he panting any bit?
    Agree with the magnet for any cases like that as well

Look at the vein in his neck. Is it enlarged or darting?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭tanko

Mooooo wrote: »
    Tbh I be wondering about the vet making a diagnosis like that. Does redwater not normally need a transfusion to sort out? Has he any white on him? Photosynthesisation would cause white parts of the skin to raise and be sore. They would generally be very agitated as well. Kicking and getting up and down. Did he look in the eyes or under the eyelids? Can indicate blood loss I think. Did he check dung for discoloration? Is he panting any bit?
    Agree with the magnet for any cases like that as well

If you notice Redwater early enough a shot of Imizol will usually save the animal but if more blood has been lost a transfusion will be needed and may not be successful if the situation is gone too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Would it be sunstroke? Is he black?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I took a video on my phone earlier on today, it's over 2 and a half mins long and I need to send it to someone but when I try to send it via the phone I get an error message. I downloaded it onto the laptop and tried to send it via a email but again I got an error message saying that it was trying to convert it to google drive. The person that I'm sending it too can't see it :(

Base price wrote: »
    I took a video on my phone earlier on today, it's over 2 and a half mins long and I need to send it to someone but when I try to send it via the phone I get an error message. I downloaded it onto the laptop and tried to send it via a email but again I got an error message saying that it was trying to convert it to google drive. The person that I'm sending it too can't see it :(
    Did ya try wattsapp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ive used the wetransfer website to send videos. Works well.

Some I wanted to just share I uploaded to YouTube and set the privacy so they aren’t discoverable, only viewable if you have the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Anyone ever make hay off a field burnt off before putting z new crop in?

Better living everyone

Anyone ever make hay off a field burnt off before putting z new crop in?

Never done it but could be done in theory. Has to be cut on 7th day after spraying tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Reggie. wrote: »
    Never done it but could be done in theory. Has to be cut on 7th day after spraying tho

Why the 7th day exactly? Never heard of it being done around here only wraps being made off it would the chemical be well gone out of the hay by the time the winter comes around?

Better living everyone

Why the 7th day exactly? Never heard of it being done around here only wraps being made off it would the chemical be well gone out of the hay by the time the winter comes around?

Something to do with the spray getting into the leaf. Silage made that way around here before reseeds

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

MOD NOTE We can't diagnose veterinary problems over the internet. Have a look at the charter please.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057309495

Veterinary Advice
    Posts looking for advice for sick animals have been a source of concern to boards.ie for some years. The problem is that veterinary diagnosis is a learnt, professional skill so it is just not possible, or safe, to remotely diagnose an animal through an internet forum. Welfare concerns demand that animals are treated quickly and effectively. Even the best-intended lay-advice may not be sufficient and may delay seeking proper assistance. Additionally lay-advice may lead to inappropriate drug use, which increases the onset of drug-resistant strains of bacteria.

We also have to recognise that there are now legal rules governing the sale and use of animal remedies. It brings Irish farming into disrepute for these rules to be openly flouted, or for illegal activities/remedies to be suggested.

For these reasons a change is being made to the charter. We recognise that animals are not human and that there are economic aspects of treating animals that do not exist with humans. We recognise that there needs to be a forum for the discussion of animal health issues. Consequently the changes, detailed below, may be subject to change in an effort to find a workable compromise.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    MOD NOTE We can't diagnose veterinary problems over the internet. Have a look at the charter please.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057309495

Veterinary Advice
    Posts looking for advice for sick animals have been a source of concern to boards.ie for some years. The problem is that veterinary diagnosis is a learnt, professional skill so it is just not possible, or safe, to remotely diagnose an animal through an internet forum. Welfare concerns demand that animals are treated quickly and effectively. Even the best-intended lay-advice may not be sufficient and may delay seeking proper assistance. Additionally lay-advice may lead to inappropriate drug use, which increases the onset of drug-resistant strains of bacteria.

We also have to recognise that there are now legal rules governing the sale and use of animal remedies. It brings Irish farming into disrepute for these rules to be openly flouted, or for illegal activities/remedies to be suggested.

For these reasons a change is being made to the charter. We recognise that animals are not human and that there are economic aspects of treating animals that do not exist with humans. We recognise that there needs to be a forum for the discussion of animal health issues. Consequently the changes, detailed below, may be subject to change in an effort to find a workable compromise.

No worries, just wanted to see has anyone experienced similar before is all while I was waiting for a second opinion from a Vet. He came this morning and said it was Brown snout/Photosensitization. Inside of the bulls mouth was all sores and under his testicles was all inflamed too. We didn't notice his skin being red seeing as he's a Saler bull so his hair is that colour already! Vet said he could have got it from eating a St. Johnswort plant and it just so happened to affect him instead of the other cows/calves in the herd, the effects of it might only affect one animal but wouldn't affect others. Two weeks indoors and a anti inflammatory injections and he should be fine. Thanks all for the suggestions, I appreciate it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement