Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

dzer2 wrote: »
    Ah that's great

Young lad just got a phone call offering him a job. It wasn't advertised just a business that supports the GAA club and reckons he is suited to it. Thay had to contact the team manager to get his number

GAA is very handy for getting work here and abroad ye dont have to be great at it but if ye show sone committment youre pretty sweet.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Congrats Carroll on becoming a suit and tie operator. Not fishing for info, just best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I was offered cattle slurry today at €50/2000 gallons. That's a robbery right? Would have to draw and spread it after

• Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Great to hear. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Water John wrote: »
    Congrats Carroll on becoming a suit and tie operator. Not fishing for info, just best of luck.

Far from suit and tie, swapping the wellies for steel caps thats about as much change for the minute :)

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

What's the VAT rate when one company is billing another for labour? Is it 13.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

What's the VAT rate when one company is billing another for labour? Is it 13.5%

Yeah. 23% for goods

Reggie. wrote: »
    Yeah. 23% for goods

Is it 13.5% on contractors doing baling and mowing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

Got it anyway, not much questions about CVs or previous experience just judged me on what way i was today.

Your about to learn how short a weeks work actually is and also the amount of breaks and holidays you are entitled to. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Suckler

Water John wrote: »
    People raised on a farm are rated highly as workers by those outside the industry.

I'm going to make it my life's mission to find out who started that rumour. It's b0llox.

I've had plenty of experience in hiring and firing for different types of employers and bodies. Coming from farm stock never ever was seen as advantageous.

Edit: I'm adding GAA to that. Stop telling me about U-16/minor/U-21/Junior B etc. at some stage you have to let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Suckler wrote: »
    I'm going to make it my life's mission to find out who started that rumour. It's b0llox.

I've had plenty of experience in hiring and firing for different types of employers and bodies. Coming from farm stock never ever was seen as advantageous.

Edit: I'm adding GAA to that. Stop telling me about U-16/minor/U-21/Junior B etc. at some stage you have to let it go.
    I suppose years ago coming from a farm was a huge advantage. You were a very hard worker. That was when it was hard labour. But modern machinery has taken the work out of it. Most of the jobs that had to be done by hand are gone.
    Cleaning out a barn with fork and wheel Barrow.
    Stacking small square bales of hay.
    Forking on a silage bit.
    Picking stone.
    Pulling bohalauns.
    Weeding and picking spuds.
    And many more.
    There is a machine for all those jobs now so the hard labour is gone. Don't get me wrong farming is a tough job but with the machinery around now there is no back breaking jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

jimini0 wrote: »
    I suppose years ago coming from a farm was a huge advantage. You were a very hard worker. That was when it was hard labour. But modern machinery has taken the work out of it. Most of the jobs that had to be done by hand are gone.
    Forking on a silage bit.
    Picking stone.
    Pulling bohalauns.
    And many more.
    There is a machine for all those jobs now so the hard labour is gone. Don't get me wrong farming is a tough job but with the machinery around now there is no back breaking jobs.

Not many kids are made go out on farm like years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

whelan2 wrote: »
    Not many kids are made go out on farm like years ago.

Ha - I think every generation says this :)

jimini0 wrote: »
    Forking on a silage bit.
    Picking stone.
    Pulling bohalauns.
    And many more.

I think it's harder now. Nobody worked alone years ago. There was always loads of help and smaller numbers. There was always time to talk then.

I'd say farmers are known for their work ethic alright. The thing is work ethic isn't as appreciated as it should be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I think coming from a farming background can have both positives and negatives when it comes to possessing employable traits. Having said that I don't know if an actual farmer makes for a particularly good employee especially a livestock farmer.

A few non farming business people I've worked for have often said that they'd much prefer to employee non farmer's. There reasoning for this is that the day job is always playing second fiddle to there real passion of farming and there's always an excuse of needing time off or to head away early in the evening due to X,Y or Z happening on farm.

I understand that non farming folk also have lives outside of the 9 to 5 but it probably doesn't interfere with work life as much as agriculture does. In my own personal life I've always tried to balance the two but I probably do put more effort and thought into the farm than work. I'd still rate myself a decent employee but it's only ever a day's wages to me and my real interests are never far from my mind when on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I can't remember who I heard this from but they said that young farmers would do the jobs that were put in front if them but they wouldn't look for the next job after the one you gave them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Is it 13.5% on contractors doing baling and mowing so?

That's it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I dont agree with that at all. If i was interviewing a lad who did a bit of farming or played gaa and then another lad who played call of duty im pretty sure which one id hire.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    I dont agree with that at all. If i was interviewing a lad who did a bit of farming or played gaa and then another lad who played call of duty im pretty sure which one id hire.

Not trying to be argumentative but if the lad playing call of duty or similar was conducting the interview which candidate of the above do you think he'd choose? We're all somewhat biased towards believing our own choices are the best overall. If you ask a Ford salesman what's the best car he'll hardly tell you to buy a Toyota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭minerleague

Work with a view, going pouring a 20x17x9ft water tank here.

hi limestone have 13 tonne machine ( old but cost nothing in repairs, bought for
    handy money 2009) to tidy neglected farm. thinking of changing to 6 tonne for
    more maintenance ( easier to move etc) Is it ok to ask who you bought from and
    how you found them to deal with ( fine if you prefer not to )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

hi limestone have 13 tonne machine ( old but cost nothing in repairs, bought for
    handy money 2009) to tidy neglected farm. thinking of changing to 6 tonne for
    more maintenance ( easier to move etc) Is it ok to ask who you bought from and
    how you found them to deal with ( fine if you prefer not to )

Ya I bought it off whelans in barefield just outside Ennis, They are the main hyundai dealers found them the finest to deal with in fairness, couldn't fault them and they have a huge range of parts in stock. Saying that if I change it down the road I don't think I'll go for a hyundai again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A bit of irish farming history for ye.

Supported by the western English gentlemen. Opposed by the Norfolk and Suffolk fattening gentlemen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importation_Act_1667

Different times. Same human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not trying to be argumentative but if the lad playing call of duty or similar was conducting the interview which candidate of the above do you think he'd choose? We're all somewhat biased towards believing our own choices are the best overall. If you ask a Ford salesman what's the best car he'll hardly tell you to buy a Toyota.

He'd pick the one who's able to lift 2 bags of cement.

Do I win?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I hired maintenance staff for MN company and always found folk from farming backgrounds better employees. Much harder working and flexible too. Hiring folk from major urban areas regularly resulted in folk that had a shocking sense of entitlement and looking for rigid rules around their work.
    That was 10 years ago in fairness but I know one business that I worked in and the owner would still say the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

He'd pick the one who's able to lift 2 bags of cement.

Do I win?;)

He could claim that he was able to lift 50 kg - but the employer could never put it to the test, the maximum recommended lifting weight is 25 kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Passed the annual TB test this morning. Little things can make your day. Vet even stamped the cards here as they don't want anyone going into the office.

I timed it with a neighbour too so we helped each other out. Vet halved the callout charge too , so worked out great for all.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I was offered cattle slurry today at €50/2000 gallons. That's a robbery right? Would have to draw and spread it after

Should be free our payment your way if your accounting for it on your nitrates and is been exported into you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,103 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You'd buy the NPK in a bag cheaper and be more convenient to spread

• Advertisement

Local piggery is trying to charge €70 for a 6000gal (artic lorry) load. They were landing it free in the farmers tank up till the end of march.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement