Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭emaherx

^^ Set it if you're thinking of development potential.
    Sell it now if you want a handier life.

Probably not the answers you want but sure someone had to get them out of the way.

Emaherx I believe has land adjacent to an urban area.

You said it Say my name. Sell if it's yours or rent somewhere else if it's not.

You'll never have peace there, we had land behind a housing estate and you couldn't keep cattle there, all of the fences were cut and the gates disappeared. Joy riders moved in and burnt out cars. We used to stack burnt out cars in the gaps and just take 2 cuts of silage a year from the land. It's sold now but the town is slowly creeping up on the home farm too.

Seen an article on Agriland yesterday where young lads chased a cow till she fell over dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Last year the guards took lambs off a group of lads that were using them as play things for their dogs.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

I thought you had to be at least twenty five years old to drive an artic, has that changed??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

:(

The driver, a man in his late teens, was uninjured in the single-vehicle incident.

Few questions will be asked there...hope he wasn't on TikTok at the time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is that a photo of it or a file photo? Edited to say it is a file photo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was driving along the road where I live yesterday. Just after finishing the Herd test and heading home. My neighbour pulls out in front of me. I hear this load bang and I'm looking around me wondering what it is.

Suddenly the left side of her car drops down and the front wheel comes off. A few feet later and another bang, this time the front right wheel rolls across the road. I hop out of the jeep and go straight to the wheel hub, thinking the nuts were never put on. I had seen the car jacked up outside their house the day before. Turns out her son had got alloys from a scrap yard and used nuts that were too small. The alloys came off over the nuts. She was only 1/2 mile from the Motorway and her daughter was driving as she was learning to drive.

Lad that was with me was roaring laughing, when we got back into the jeep. :rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

So did the trailer disconnect & overturn? Bit confusing with the headlines!

That lady was lucky it happened there Patsy!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

emaherx wrote: »
    You said it Say my name. Sell if it's yours or rent somewhere else if it's not.

You'll never have peace there, we had land behind a housing estate and you couldn't keep cattle there, all of the fences were cut and the gates disappeared. Joy riders moved in and burnt out cars. We used to stack burnt out cars in the gaps and just take 2 cuts of silage a year from the land. It's sold now but the town is slowly creeping up on the home farm too.

Seen an article on Agriland yesterday where young lads chased a cow till she fell over dead.

Getting to that stage here too, cutting it twice for silage now. Went in to spray it a few weeks back and the lad spraying had to stop on the first round until a woman and a kid (?) got dressed and tidied up their sun bathing gear ffs. I'm not going to be grazing it again anyway. Last time we had straw there the fire brigade were out.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Have a calf off a heifer that’s 2.5 weeks old, born via section. Mother hasn’t taken to him so I have to catch her to allow him suck.

Looked in the paddock today and he was missing. He climbed up a ditch and down a 9 foot fall and was in the neighbouring forest. Definitely has a death with. My sister was around for the section and she called him rocky because he is a fighter. I think He is taking his name literally, gets knocked down and gets back up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Have a calf off a heifer that’s 2.5 weeks old, born via section. Mother hasn’t taken to him so I have to catch her to allow him suck.

Looked in the paddock today and he was missing. He climbed up a ditch and down a 9 foot fall and was in the neighbouring forest. Definitely has a death with. My sister was around for the section and she called him rocky because he is a fighter. I think He is taking his name literally, gets knocked down and gets back up again.

I have one of them here that hasn't taken after a section last Sunday either. No badness in her just won't stand for the calf to suck, right nuisance having to stand with her twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

jimini0 wrote: »
    I know a man that had a field next to a housing estate. The kids used to chase the cows around the place. He put in an electric fence. Had the unit well hidden so they couldn't see it. Had a sign up to say electric fence caution. He accidentally connected it to the gates
    very tempting :-),

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I fostered a calf to a cow that lost her calf this year. Getting nowhere for a week.or so until I happened to let another cow in at the same time to nurse her own calf.
    She let him drink then , no problem.
    Might be worth a try.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I love watching nettles, docks and thistles die:)
    72e3dym.jpg

I fostered a calf to a cow that lost her calf this year. Getting nowhere for a week.or so until I happened to let another cow in at the same time to nurse her own calf.
    She let him drink then , no problem.
    Might be worth a try.

I have another heifer that I fostered a calf onto in them.
    She took to her new calf no bother and the one with her actual calf isn’t taking. I’ve plenty paddocks around the house and I can make time to do it until they take, if they take

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I have another heifer that I fostered a calf onto in them.
    She took to her new calf no bother and the one with her actual calf isn’t taking. I’ve plenty paddocks around the house and I can make time to do it until they take, if they take
    I've a racist ex dairy cow here that I adopted three calves onto during the week. She will allow two angus bulls to suck but kicks and pucks at a whitehead bull. The whitehead is getting clever and is now sucking her from behind. They are still in a pen but hopefully I can turn them out into the paddock behind the house to keep an eye on them over the weekend.

Base price wrote: »
    I've a racist ex dairy cow here that I adopted three calves onto during the week. She will allow two angus bulls to suck but kicks and pucks at a whitehead bull. The whitehead is getting clever and is now sucking her from behind. They are still in a pen but hopefully I can turn them out into the paddock behind the house to keep an eye on them over the weekend.

We used have a dairy cow that wouldn’t give milk to women or children. Dad would have to milk her when he came home from a day on the digger. He thought it was the machine she didn’t like so sold her to a neighbour who hand milked a cow for the house. When he would be gone and the wife would milk her, she would give very little and be roaring to be milked when he came home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

blue5000 wrote: »
    Getting to that stage here too, cutting it twice for silage now. Went in to spray it a few weeks back and the lad spraying had to stop on the first round until a woman and a kid (?) got dressed and tidied up their sun bathing gear ffs. I'm not going to be grazing it again anyway. Last time we had straw there the fire brigade were out.

Know of someone who dug a trench a few ft deep and angled away on the boundary side and piled the spoil as high and steeply on the field side as possible to 7/8ft high from trench bottom and put in high security type gates flush with the road to slow down the neighbours.
    I think humanity de-evolves in **** hole type housing estates.

I was trying to register a calf this morning and the dam had already calved in April, much to my surprise. And hers too, I imagine.:D

So I started looking for the animal that was milking and had no calf and eventually found her. I register with a computer package and if you put in the dams number, it sometimes shows another cow with the same digits earlier in her number and she gets 'calved' instead of the proper dam.

So more fun with my favourite ER94b form this evening:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I love watching nettles, docks and thistles die:)
    72e3dym.jpg

Boo. Waste of carbon.
    Boo. Waste of nutrients.
    Boo. Killer of ecosystems.
    Boo. Boo. :pac:

Boo.

• Advertisement

Boo. Waste of carbon.
    Boo. Waste of nutrients.
    Boo. Killer of ecosystems.
    Boo. Boo. :pac:

Boo.

I think the thread is haunted by an environmentally conscious ghost :eek:

I think the thread is haunted by an environmentally conscious ghost :eek:

Makes you wonder what a cow ghost sounds like? :confused:

If it's an Irish ghost cow....Bóo :pac:

If it's an Irish ghost cow....Bóo :pac:

Very good.

I was trying to register a calf this morning and the dam had already calved in April, much to my surprise. And hers too, I imagine.:D

So I started looking for the animal that was milking and had no calf and eventually found her. I register with a computer package and if you put in the dams number, it sometimes shows another cow with the same digits earlier in her number and she gets 'calved' instead of the proper dam.

So more fun with my favourite ER94b form this evening:rolleyes:
    You really mean - DAFM :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EZtStZZKEs :rolleyes:

Base price wrote: »
    You really mean - DAFM :D

I don't think they like me, Base.

I tried to register a calf to her 15mo mother today and they sent me on a nasty email.

Makes me wonder why I bother trying to do things the right way:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I don't think they like me, Base.

I tried to register a calf to her 15mo mother today and they sent me on a nasty email.

Makes me wonder why I bother trying to do things the right way:(

They need to have a look back at a TV series that was filmed around the Ceithre Cos Veterinary practice, one program showed a call out to assist with a fourteen month old heifer giving birth, The Vet called it a teenage pregnancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

They need to have a look back at a TV series that was filmed around the Ceithre Cos Veterinary practice, one program showed a call out to assist with a fourteen month old heifer giving birth, The Vet called it a teenage pregnancy.

Slappers we call them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement