Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gang attack Garda in Drogheda

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not really it is pretty par for the course these days.
    The gang rape in Courtown seems to have disappeared down the media memory hole.

And what do the two incidents have in common?
    The offenders were under 18 years old, which limits what the press can report on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So literally kicking a gardas head while he is on the ground is not worthy of RTÉ coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

So literally kicking a gardas head while he is on the ground is not worthy of RTÉ coverage?

Not really. There's probably a garda getting assaulted somewhere every night of the week.

(sorry if that sounds flippant)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

RTE along with all the media are following an agenda it is pretty obvious nothing odd about it.
    If you decide you don't want to pay for RTE you will have the same Garda pick you up for a ride to Mountjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Not usually, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,157 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why do I say it’s odd?

I say it’s odd because RTÉ usually cover every piddling little incident in every crossroad and townland around Ireland yet somehow....

Somehow....

This has been completely ignored by em???

So RTE is the media as a monolith?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anytime I've seen a Garda attacked which has not been too frequent but I've seen it a few times over the years, it's never ended up on RTE.
    Actually I know a Garda who was attacked with slash hooks while responding to an incident at a travellers wedding back in the 80's. Didn't even make the local paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bryaner wrote: »
    Live in Navan and work in Drogheda so I kinda know them both well
    Well I suggest you move and change jobs. You're clearly not enjoying either!:D

MrFresh wrote: »
    Last year a Garda had acid thrown at him. That was linked to a Lithuanian drug gang involved in drug trafficking. A Latvian car theft gang are the suspects for the machete murder of a rival business owner last year A Lithuanian gang are suspected of being behind the murder of a man in West Dublin in a dispute over clothes collections. Polish and Lithuanian gangs are believed to be behind major drug operations in Longford. A dispute between rival Triad gangs erupted into a brawl in Dublin last year.
    That Triad story is nearly 40 years old.

is_that_so wrote: »
    That Triad story is nearly 40 years old.

Sorry, wrong link. I'll have a look for the other one.

Edit: This is the one I was thinking of. It was from a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Often (but not always!) lads like this are only afraid of/respect their own mothers. Would it be possible that guards could form good community policing relationships with the parents, but with the emphasis that good behaviour is expected of the offspring, and that a repeat offense could result in deportation of family back to where they originate from.

On the other hand if their parents are clearly a big part of the problem in not caring about how they fit into society, then they need to be deported.

Singapore is a multi-ethnic society and has for a long long time had a policy of not allowing groups to form “ghettoes”. They have a very low crime rate. Planting lots of new people from one particular society in one building, street, village, town, etc is always a very bad idea.

Sorry, wrong link. I'll have a look for the other one.

Edit: This is the one I was thinking of. It was from a few years ago.
    Closer but still 7 years old. I accept the general point that it is all criminality.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Closer but still 7 years old. I accept the general point that it is all criminality.

I'm full sure there was a more recent one but I just can't find the report. There was also the people smuggling operation that was stopped in Dublin Airport. That was also linked to Triads. But I don't think that's the kind of gang activity the poster had in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Happens too often to make the news all of the time. Not trying to play it down but the Garda isn't in hospital or anything like that. He received facial injuries. If the assailants weren't black I doubt there would even be a thread about the assault

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

It’s really odd how there’s been a media blackout almost on this story ?

I see what you did there black-out. Bit racist mate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Hoboo

They were black as the ace of spades, I've seen the videos, photos, and spoken to two gardai in drogs. Stop kidding yourself.

Lol
    If rte reported every assault on a garda there wouldn't be anything else on the news!
    Not that anyone in the country would even give a crap, people on this thread only care because it appears the offenders are a different colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

bubblypop wrote: »
    Lol
    If rte reported every assault on a garda there wouldn't be anything else on the news!
    Not that anyone in the country would even give a crap,

I give a crap. Utter scum that assaulted that guard.

Lol
    Not that anyone in the country would even give a crap, people on this thread only care because it appears the offenders are a different colour.

24 pages of posts and I don't think a single person has expressed concern for the Garda involved.

I give a crap. Utter scum that assaulted that guard.

Glad to hear it.
    I'll expect to see a thread started by you every day on the latest assault on Gardai

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Lol

24 pages of posts and I don't think a single person has expressed concern for the Garda involved.

I did ya but obviously you missed my post's...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

And importing the third world while we have huge homelessness, a massive social bill, a crumbling health service makes it better for who exactly??

How is Nwankwo from Ghana who can barely speak English and has no qualifications, making Ireland better??

Good morning, Sir! You are 15 years too late :) All this "importing the third world" thing had happened before the 2004 nationality referendum when the Constitution was changed. Since then there has not been any significant immigration inflow to Ireland.
    And by the way, "Nwankwo from Ghana" most probably speaks English not worse than locals. Ghana was English colony;)

nthclare wrote: »
    I did ya but obviously you missed my post's...

Was it in the German one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Surprised they've not locked this now there's been an arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Two very deep lacerations , one on the forehead about 2 inches long , another on the cheek running from just under the eye to the chin.
    I wouldn't call them minor injuries .

Guards have reported on LMFM , local media that the image you speak of is not a garda member.

The guard was bundled over after he got into the middle of a crowd and they swung a few kicks before the rest of the guards arrived and dealt with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Why isn’t this top story on RTÉ

Why isn’t this top story on RTÉ

Conspiracy by the mole people in collaboration with the lizard men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Varik wrote: »

There was 5 arrests. On Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Varik wrote:

All five were released without charge after a few hours questioning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Conspiracy by the mole people in collaboration with the lizard men.

Nah...it's the Rand Corporation, The Saucer People and the Reverse Vampires this time.

Advertisement