Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the end of Democrat front runner Joe Biden?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Danno wrote: »
    Trump must have been very busy holding rallies across vast parts of the USA where we see Covid-19 case increases.

Or, perhaps there was a very liberal backed protest dotted with riots, lootings and killings taking place in multiple US cities.

Nah, it was Trumps - barely attended - rally that is causing the Covid surge. :rolleyes:

In fact analysis has shown that the protests haven't led to a correlative spike in covid cases.
    Sparked by the killing of George Floyd in police custody, the 2020 Black Lives Matter protests have brought a new wave of attention to the issue of inequality within criminal justice. However, many public health officials have warned that mass protests could lead to a reduction in social distancing behavior, spurring a resurgence of COVID-19. This study uses newly collected data on protests in 315 of the largest U.S. cities to estimate the impacts of mass protests on social distancing and COVID-19 case growth. Event-study analyses provide strong evidence that net stay-at-home behavior increased following protest onset, consistent with the hypothesis that nonprotesters’ behavior was substantially affected by urban protests. This effect was not fully explained by the imposition of city curfews. Estimated effects were generally larger for persistent protests and those accompanied by media reports of violence. Furthermore, we find no evidence that urban protests reignited COVID-19 case growth during the more than three weeks following protest onset. We conclude that predictions of broad negative public health consequences of Black Lives Matter protests were far too narrowly conceived.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408.pdf

Danno wrote: »
    Trump must have been very busy holding rallies across vast parts of the USA where we see Covid-19 case increases.

Or, perhaps there was a very liberal backed protest dotted with riots, lootings and killings taking place in multiple US cities.

Nah, it was Trumps - barely attended - rally that is causing the Covid surge. :rolleyes:
    The thing is, you don't actually have surges in the locations where there were protests. Eg Minnesota levels remained the same. But sure don't let the facts get in the way. Viruses behave differently outside plus a large proportion of protesters did wear masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Well I for one am shocked!

You must be the only one so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭paul71

Dead tread, like Trumps campaign. Shaping up the be the biggest landslide since 1984.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭nofiller69

No it wasn't

It was about states rights.

Its about slavery! = No its about states rights ! = States rights to keep slaves ! x 1000000.

This circular argument doesn't really help your point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Not seen many Trump fans in here recently, have they finally seen the way the wind is blowing?

Funny clip here of Trumps idea of US history.

But Biden is the one in decline :D

Not seen many Trump fans in here recently, have they finally seen the way the wind is blowing?

Funny clip here of Trumps idea of US history.

But Biden is the one in decline :D

I think they finally realized there was zero pull in going on about Biden isolating and campaigning from home after #BunkerBitch teargassed the clergy. In the time since, Biden has had to do very little but stay quiet while Trump makes a laughing stock of himself in interviews of his own making.

WALLACE: Hot enough for you here, Mr. President?

TRUMP: It’s hot. It’s about, well, sort of almost record breaking stuff.

WALLACE: You know, we wanted to do it inside. This is your choice.

TBF though this thread serves no real purpose, the other thread is a 2020 Election thread covering any and all candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Overheal wrote: »
    WALLACE: You know, we wanted to do it inside. This is your choice.

TBF though this thread serves no real purpose, the other thread is a 2020 Election thread covering any and all candidates.

I vote to ask a mod to delete this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Igotadose wrote: »

Locking it well suffice for me... I want the mental gymnastics displayed in this thread to be visible for eternity ...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

In fact analysis has shown that the protests haven't led to a correlative spike in covid cases.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408.pdf

Isn't that saying that there wasn't a spike in cases after the protests because everyone else was staying at home? :confused:

That's like saying there was no spike in deaths after a surge in drink driving, because everyone else stayed off the roads. It doesn't mean the initial action wasn't highly irresponsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Well considering this thread was started by that poster because they got kicked off all the other threads, and now they've gone awol, I'd say it's time to lock it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Absolutely do not delete.
    Lock yes, delete no.

duploelabs wrote: »
    Well considering this thread was started by that poster because they got kicked off all the other threads, and now they've gone awol, I'd say it's time to lock it

Maybe the Trump supporters have all caught Covid and are feeling too under the weather to post, I'm sure there is a valid reason for them to have all suddenly disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Haven't seem Joe anywhere on screens, for well over a month,even CNN.
    Can someone check he's still up and about, walking and breathing?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

very much alive and well. I'm sure you are really concerned for him. He is just sitting back and letting trump get him elected.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

very much alive and well. I'm sure you are really concerned for him. He is just sitting back and letting trump get him elected.

Exactly - Why would Biden go on TV to convince people to vote for him when Trump is going on TV doing that job for him?

And now Trump has announced daily "This is why you should vote for Joe Biden" sessions as part of his Covid19 update meetings.

Now that's leadership and delegation - Getting someone else to do an effective job for you!!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Here, aired yesterday, pointing out how utterly trump has failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

paul71 wrote: »
    Dead tread, like Trumps campaign. Shaping up the be the biggest landslide since 1984.

I dunno, I actually like the thread title and it ages remarkably with time :pac: I want to see it continue until November 4th with the crowning of Biden as president-elect

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The first presidential debate, President Trump against Joe Biden, will be held on Tuesday, September 29 at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana.
    Should be interesting but I already predict either side will claim victory.

• Advertisement

Can't you check? Because I checked, and he was on television just last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Can't you check? Because I checked, and he was on television just last night.

Yes. Yes, he was talking gibberish as usual :D

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveGuest/status/1285353375790505984

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Covfefe

Apologies, I just had to clear my throat

Awfully specious video that keeps the audio so wildly out of sync with the footage.

One wonders what you will say about this video? Or will you even have the guts to admit you watched it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Anyone else enjoying the fact that Trump and his marks have been trying to make congnitive ability an issue in this campaign?

My favourite part was finding out that professionals decided that Trump needed to be given a really basic one where he had to identify animals and perform some other basic mental functions that an eight-year old could pull off.

If that was as far as it all went, the ridicule could have ended there but Trump decided to tell the world that the test was really hard. Think about that for a second. That test isn't meant to be hard for a person of normal cognitive abilities - that what it's supposed to be testing for.

And just when I thought that Trump had made enough of a tit of himself, he decided in typical Trumpian fashion that telling the world that he surprised the doctors by passing was a good idea.

I know, I know. Trump's full of shít and he was probably full of shít when he said that the test was hard and that he surprised doctors by passing. All that tells us is that he is shít at being full of shít. In his shít-for-brains mind, he thought that this kind of bravado would impress people. Instead, all it told us, if you take it at face value, that he passed a really basic test that's given by doctors to people who demonstrate cognitive issues and those same doctors were surprised that he passed.

It's a shame he can't do more rallies because I have no doubt that he'd repeat this same shíte again and keep the evidence of his own cognitive issues in the news cycle. Sure, his fans will whoop and cheer but they're not going to be enough to win it for him. If one prong in his electoral strategy is to convince people that he's in better cognitive shape than the other guy because of the other guy's well known stammer, then maybe others in his campaign should be given that test.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Anyone else enjoying the fact that Trump and his marks have been trying to make congnitive ability an issue in this campaign?

My favourite part was finding out that professionals decided that Trump needed to be given a really basic one where he had to identify animals and perform some other basic mental functions that an eight-year old could pull off.

If that was as far as it all went, the ridicule could have ended there but Trump decided to tell the world that the test was really hard. Think about that for a second. That test isn't meant to be hard for a person of normal cognitive abilities - that what it's supposed to be testing for.

And just when I thought that Trump had made enough of a tit of himself, he decided in typical Trumpian fashion that telling the world that he surprised the doctors by passing was a good idea.

I know, I know. Trump's full of shít and he was probably full of shít when he said that the test was hard and that he surprised doctors by passing. All that tells us is that he is shít at being full of shít. In his shít-for-brains mind, he thought that this kind of bravado would impress people. Instead, all it told us, if you take it at face value, that he passed a really basic test that's given by doctors to people who demonstrate cognitive issues and those same doctors were surprised that he passed.

It's a shame he can't do more rallies because I have no doubt that he'd repeat this same shíte again and keep the evidence of his own cognitive issues in the news cycle. Sure, his fans will whoop and cheer but they're not going to be enough to win it for him. If one prong in his electoral strategy is to convince people that he's in better cognitive shape than the other guy because of the other guy's well known stammer, then maybe others in his campaign should be given that test.

to be fair that is one of the few times that trump has been honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Anyone watching live the first of the new coronavirus press briefings?

I predict it is more similar to a campaign rally
    I predict many mentions of "china virus"
    I predict some (unintentional) comedy from the silly head's mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

MOH wrote: »
    Isn't that saying that there wasn't a spike in cases after the protests because everyone else was staying at home? :confused:

That's like saying there was no spike in deaths after a surge in drink driving, because everyone else stayed off the roads. It doesn't mean the initial action wasn't highly irresponsible.

In an ideal situation I agree, no one would be protesting but this is seen as a life or death situation for many involved in the protests.

I don't see it being highly irresponsible, as much risk mitigation was made as possible. I was out on several and they were all outdoor, around 99% mask wearing (masks given out free to those that didnt come with them), when possible everyone social distances, and they even hand out hand sanitiser, along with sun screen and water.

Now compare that to Trump rallies or the bar situation in many States that have become hot spots, where they are indoor, limited to no mask wearing, and no social distancing. Now those situations are highly irresponsible.

• Advertisement

This is his first Coronavirus briefing since April 23, the day he was laughed out of the media cycle for suggesting we inject people with a disinfectant and using some unspecified means to expose the inside of the body to sunlight/UV light.

"There's been a rumor that -- you know, a very nice rumor -- that you go outside in the sun or you have heat and it does have an effect on other viruses," Trump said, before asking coronavirus task force coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx "to speak to the medical doctors to see if there's any way that you can apply light and heat to cure, you know, if you could."

Trump then asked Birx if she "ever heard of the heat and the light" having an impact on viruses. She responded, "Not as a treatment," before Trump asked her again to look into it.

Later, Trump again directed Birx to look into the potential for sunlight to be a cure. "I would like you to speak to the medical doctors to see if there's any way that you can apply light and heat to cure, you know, if you could. And maybe you can, maybe you can't."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/23/politics/fact-check-coronavirus-briefing-april-23/index.html

“I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that,” he said.

“So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light — and I think you said that that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it. And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body,” the president said Thursday.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-suggests-disinfectant-as-treatment-for-coronavirus-by-injection-inside-or-almost-a-cleaning-doctors-call-the-idea-dangerous-2020-04-24

Rolling live now, first thing out of his mouth practically was "China Virus"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement