Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the end of Democrat front runner Joe Biden?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

There’s a War Going On Over Kamala Harris’s Wikipedia Page, with Unflattering Elements Vanishing
    California Democratic Sen. Kamala Harris is widely seen as a frontrunner for a spot on the ticket with presumptive nominee Joe Biden, with vetting well underway.
    <snip>
    In 2016, The Atlantic published an article about Wikipedia edits and how a burst of activity could foreshadow Hillary Clinton’s vice presidential pick, noting that Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine’s page had seen significantly more edits than any other candidate’s in the weeks leading up to the announcement. The article also cited a 2008 Washington Post report about Sarah Palin’s Wikipedia page seeing more than 65 edits in the hours leading up to John McCain’s announcement.

source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Her track record is public, she'll rise or fall on that, if she gets the nod. Wikipedia is a handy source but often prone to silliness and people's notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Full video of the press conference on the topic: “New details in the case of Burisma bribe, as well as new records of conversations testifying to international corruption and the external governance of Ukraine” with English subtitles

Starting fee for closing case against Burisma, Biden family was $50 million – Kulyk

Derkach claimed "the Bidens were suspicious, but disappeared along the way, together with another $44 million dollars, which was the main part of the bribe."

"Everyone made good money. Even stranger is the absence of Biden's name in the case in which he definitely appears, according to NABU Director (Artem) Sytnyk, who does not want to interfere in international political processes. The cynicism of the proposal is astounding. It was namely Sytnyk who interfered in the 2016 U.S. presidential election using fakes from the so-called 'black ledger' incriminating Trump's campaign manager Paul Manafort," Derkach said.

source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Kanye is throwing his hat in the ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

amdublin wrote: »
    Kanye is throwing his hat in the ring?

I hope he’s not serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭jj880

Stunt from Kanye to split Bidens vote and help Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

jj880 wrote: »
    Stunt from Kanye to split Bidens vote and help Trump?

A stunt for Kanye to sell more of his albums that's released next week, nothing more

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

duploelabs wrote: »
    A stunt for Kanye to sell more of his albums that's released next week, nothing more

Didn't realise he had an album due out..

That explains it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Apparently patriotism is out of fashion with Democrats. And Joe Biden doesn’t seem to like America much. Now Crazy Joe wants to transform me. Apparently anyone without a (D) behind their names is part of the racist, broken, and damaged section of America. Are we freakin’ even living in the same country, you old fool? Democrat run hell-hole cities give us riots, violence, destruction, and mayhem. That’s what Biden wants for the rest of us?

No thank you, Joe!

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    Apparently patriotism is out of fashion with Democrats. And Joe Biden doesn’t seem to like America much. Now Crazy Joe wants to transform me. Apparently anyone without a (D) behind their names is part of the racist, broken, and damaged section of America. Are we freakin’ even living in the same country, you old fool? Democrat run hell-hole cities give us riots, violence, destruction, and mayhem. That’s what Biden wants for the rest of us?

No thank you, Joe!

It's really difficult to pull a coherent thought out of that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭weisses

No thank you, Joe!

tenor.gif?itemid=12701786

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No thank you, Joe!

Welcome back...

Just to recap where we left off..

You said
    According to Gallup (and the numbers change weekly) on average it looks like people identify as the following: 30% Republican, 38% Independent, and 30% Democrat.

I heard about these polls on talk radio (NPR I believe) notoriously oversampling democrats and undersampling republicans. I’ve look through a number of recent polls and they seemingly provide lots of information EXCEPT the number of people sampled by political party. Wonder why? Because it would expose those numbers indicating a glaring flaw in the sampling, perhaps? Now if someone can find data on a recent poll showing Trump down by 8-10 points, and with the breakdown of sampled respondents by party it would be most appreciated. And if you can find the information by 'REGISTERED’ voters it would be so much better.

And I replied
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    You mean like this one???

This is the Rasmussen Poll on John Solomons website - A GOP friendly pollster on a VERY GOP Friendly website...

6.15.20%20JTN%20POLL%20presidential%20election.jpg?h=78d1e665&itok=lZ7ZcdDF

Polling methodology shown here giving the breakdown by party affiliation and voter registration.

Demographic breakdown shown here

So - Are we done now with the "The polls are biased" crap or will you find another reason to not believe the facts?

So - You have polling data that meets your requirements that shows Biden with a comfortable lead at present , Now what??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

duploelabs wrote: »

I think it could be deeper than that with Kanye acting as a stalking horse for Trump. Ultimately he wants to get Biden one on one on a tv network and take him to task about his gaffe saying you are not black if you vote Republican. Kanye can spend a few months banging that drum and if he truly enters the race its the main thing I see him there for.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think it could be deeper than that with Kanye acting as a stalking horse for Trump. Ultimately he wants to get Biden one on one on a tv network and take him to task about his gaffe saying you are not black if you vote Republican. Kanye can spend a few months banging that drum and if he truly enters the race its the main thing I see him there for.

Kanye won't make any debate stage , even if he was serious about running.

Perot was the only 3rd party candidate to get sufficient support (15% is the Threshold I think).. Not a chance Kanye or anyone else gets to that level starting from now.

Welcome back...

Just to recap where we left off..

You said

And I replied

So - You have polling data that meets your requirements that shows Biden with a comfortable lead at present , Now what??
    Thanks, it's been a while. Didn't see that but thanks for the link. Far too many democrats represented in the poll. And I never said Biden didn't have a somewhat big lead... I said the makeup of the people polled might be suspect.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Thanks, it's been a while. Didn't see that but thanks for the link. Still don't see in what you linked to the breakdown of people polled as to political party or race and gender. And I never said Biden didn't have a somewhat big lead... I said the makeup of the people polled might be suspect.

Which was calling into question the validity of the data??

The specific info you want is there in the 2 links at the bottom

Polling methodology shown here giving the breakdown by party affiliation and voter registration.

Poll was of only registered voters with a weighting applied to the results to factor in what they felt was the correct weighting for GOP/DEM/IND.

They show both results , with and without the weighting

Thanks, it's been a while. Didn't see that but thanks for the link. Far too many democrats represented in the poll. And I never said Biden didn't have a somewhat big lead... I said the makeup of the people polled might be suspect.

I'll reply to your updated response here.

On what basis do you feel that Democrats are over represented?

Every data set that I've looked at - The Gallup one in particular as it's the longest running sampling shows that there are simply more registered Democrats than Republicans and the levels are consistent with the weighted values shown in the Rasmussen polling data.

So , do you have another data point showing that Gallup et al are incorrect in their assessment of the Party affiliation mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's really difficult to pull a coherent thought out of that...

I think he is getting his knickers in a wad over the word “transform” as though “Make America Great Again” is any less rhetorical.

“Change, transformation, progress” these words terrify the layperson conservative, as a threat to their power.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Kanye won't make any debate stage , even if he was serious about running.

Perot was the only 3rd party candidate to get sufficient support (15% is the Threshold I think).. Not a chance Kanye or anyone else gets to that level starting from now.

yeah he wont be getting anywhere near the debates. But that wont stop him going on news networks and banging Trumps drum. Its going to be a tight election and the Trump campaign know that if they can just take a few percentage points off Biden then they have a chance. Bidens best strategy is to ignore him but that could become more difficult as the months go on.

Which was calling into question the validity of the data??

The specific info you want is there in the 2 links at the bottom

Poll was of only registered voters with a weighting applied to the results to factor in what they felt was the correct weighting for GOP/DEM/IND.

They show both results , with and without the weighting
    Weighted... Republican 32%, Democrat 37%, other 31%.

I noted earlier…
    According to Gallup (and the numbers change weekly) on average it looks like people identify as the following: 30% Republican, 38% Independent, and 30% Democrat.

And where were they from in the poll? It’s the swing states that will decide the election. Also, we seem to be again ignoring, as they did in 2016, the shy and lying voters (those who say they will vote for Clinton - this time Biden, but will actually vote Trump) out of fear of abuse.

Sorry, but I remain suspect of the polls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I noted earlier…

And where were they from in the poll? It’s the swing states that will decide the election. Also, we seem to be again ignoring, as they did in 2016, the shy and lying voters (those who say they will vote for Clinton - this time Biden, but will actually vote Trump) out of fear of abuse.

Unless they suit your agenda, then you love them.

I noted earlier…

All swing states were generally within the margin of error last time round. Currently they're not. That can change but at the moment he's losing support from all demographics.

I noted earlier…

We've already covered this

If anything they are over estimating the GOP vote..

Also - On the "Shy" voter thing..

How about this poll from Pennsylvania - From a Republican pollster who explicitly adjusts for the shy voter and who were the only pollster to correctly call all the swing states last time out?

Screen-Shot-2020-07-06-at-8.42.11-AM-1024x548.png

Unless they suit your agenda, then you love them.

Incredible he’s never this scrutinizing of the polls if or when they suit the agenda isn’t it?

We've already covered this

If anything they are over estimating the GOP vote..

Also - On the "Shy" voter thing..

How about this poll from Pennsylvania - From a Republican pollster who explicitly adjusts for the shy voter and who were the only pollster to correctly call all the swing states last time out?

Screen-Shot-2020-07-06-at-8.42.11-AM-1024x548.png
    I think we didn’t tackle the other point to your question... what can Trump do to overcome his losses in the polls. That's a really tough one. The biggest obstacle is the mainstream being a propaganda arm of the Establishment and Democrats. They report nothing good the administration has done and concentrate, almost exclusively, on criticism of the president. Hatred of Trump rules the day in the media world. Joe Biden could be hooked up to a ventilator and pronounced brain-dead and the media would still push for people to elect him. That’s a really tough one to overcome. Sadly we can’t force the mainstream media to do their jobs without bias.

Democrat controlled cities across are burning and the mainstream media concentrates its reports on the positive message Trump gives at Mt. Rushmore claiming Trump delivered a divisive culture war message and exploiting social divisions. The media should be ashamed of themselves.

Any ideas?

Will Biden be giving one of his scripted speeches... with no path on how to fulfill his flowery messages, this week from his basement bunker?

I think we didn’t tackle the other point to your question... what can Trump do to overcome his losses in the polls. That's a really tough one. The biggest obstacle is the mainstream being a propaganda arm of the Establishment and Democrats. They report nothing good the administration has done and concentrate, almost exclusively, on criticism of the president. Hatred of Trump rules the day in the media world. Joe Biden could be hooked up to a ventilator and pronounced brain-dead and the media would still push for people to elect him. That’s a really tough one to overcome. Sadly we can’t force the mainstream media to do their jobs without bias.

Democrat controlled cities across are burning and the mainstream media concentrates its reports on the positive message Trump gives at Mt. Rushmore claiming Trump delivered a divisive culture war message and exploiting social divisions. The media should be ashamed of themselves.

Any ideas?

Will Biden be giving one of his scripted speeches... with no path on how to fulfill his flowery messages, this week from his basement bunker?

That’s because even brain-dead on a ventilator he’d still be a better president, that’s just fact. Trump should be removed from office right now, and only isn’t so, because Mitch and the Republicans went “Biden Rule” on Impeachment, literally staring they were punting the decision to voters this November. Well now the bill is coming due.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Bunker you say..

YZaVE85YGmZJixvQtSG82XLHZT7Erbb5puzUrc6N4K0.jpg

Bunker Derangement Syndrome at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Any ideas?

And LMAO at this excuse

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/06/donald-trump-denies-hiding-bunker-during-protests/amp
    that he was hiding in a bunker while parts of Washington, D.C., burned around him over the weekend, Donald Trump reemerged publicly on Monday to speak in the Rose Garden 

the president acknowledged that, yes, he did briefly go subterranean, but only to inspect the secure quarters. “Well, it was a false report,” he told Fox’s Brian Kilmeade. “I went down during the day, and I was there for a tiny little short period of time, and it was much more for an inspection. 

The president went on to say that he’d “gone down two or three times, all for inspection,” because “someday you may need it,”

• Advertisement

Any ideas?

Given that you've blown past the polling data , can I assume that we've moved on from "biased polling" and "skewed data" and just moved on to the factual discussion on "How can Trump recover"?

Trumps biggest obstacle is not the Media , it's his own mouth and his crippling inability to admit a mistake.

The Media do not have to spin the speeches at Mt. Rushmore or in DC - A simple verbatim reproduction of them clearly elucidates Trumps viewpoint - That (currently) 50% of the US population are his enemies who hate the country and who's sole aim is to destroy it - How on EARTH do either of those speeches win him more support??? Allied to his continued rhetoric on Twitter which again simply require verbatim reproduction to show clearly their meaning.

He is making absolutely ZERO effort to change peoples minds , not one iota , he is simply hoping that if he gets his base utterly febrile with fear and anger that they might just be enough for him - They will not however.

In terms on the impact of his inability to admit a mistake?

Every Dog in the street knows that he f***ed up in his response to Covid19, but his brain simply will not allow him to process that fact.

He should have shown leadership around simple things like social distancing and mask wearing , but he took a huge bet back in the March time-frame that things would ease off and settle into a level of stasis during the summer months. He has lost that bet as have those whose lives he used as collateral.

Current projections are for the US to hit ~180k deaths by October the 1st , and additional 50,000 people dying - 50% of whom might live if Social Distancing and Mask wearing were consistently applied.

But Trump won't lead from the front , he won't issue a Federal mandate or in fact do anything meaningful because that would make him look "weak" in his eyes because it would involve admitting that he was wrong previously.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement