Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting in el paso

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

CNN "God i hope he's a white Trump supporter"

Fox News " God i hope he was a Muslim"

That's America in a nutshell now.

Look at the Courtown thread and it's actually boards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Overheal wrote: »
    Bunch of horse **** to be honest. Big difference between racist speculation and evidentiary facts. If it had been a Muslim then it’s a Muslim - though, ironically, I don’t know how you expected to infer their religious belief from the photo? I certainly don’t know the religious affiliation of the attacker based on two surveillance images now do I? What would the photo need to confirm it was a Muslim, in all fairness?

Oh you got me, I said Muslims can be visually identified :rolleyes:

Look, cut the bull. When you saw the guy was white you immediately jumped on the thread and referenced Omar's comments, claiming she had been vindicated because of the shooter's race. You can dance around that as much as you like but that is what you did and my point is that had the shooter been shown to be a non-white, and someone had jumped on the thread and said something like: "Oh look, shock horror, the shooter is from the religion of so called peace, thought Omar said white men are the real problem" then you and others would have (understandably) complained about such a post.

It's a double standard that grinds my gears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Police held a conference and have now released the numbers of dead and injured.

20 people died and 26 injured. Sad day for the families in this area today.

A feel good tweet among all the madness ......

https://twitter.com/sandraKTSM/status/1157763942212624384

• Registered Users Posts: 81,992 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Look, cut the bull. When you saw the guy was white you immediately jumped on the thread and referenced Omar's comments, claiming she had been vindicated because of the shooter's race. You can dance around that as much as you like but that is what you did and my point is that had the shooter been shown to be a non-white, and someone had jumped on the thread and said something like: "Oh look, shock horror, the shooter is from the religion of so called peace, thought Omar said white men are the real problem" then you and others would have (understandably) complained about such a post.

Would have been a double standard if she said Christians and someone had gone off when he turned out to be white. You’re making a bad false equivalency there mate. She said white men. It’s a white man. You CAN determine that from a photo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

You sure it was his race and not his manifesto that was the real reveal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

MrFresh wrote: »
    You sure it was his race and not his manifesto that was the real reveal?

This was a domestic terrorism attack and its worrying sign in this case a white man felt he had a right to kill people he did not know. You can believe what you like and not kill people. I read the manifesto and clearly this young man was confused about his own thoughts, and there lot of contradictory statements, about immigration and race mixing. You can't blame other races and this were the problem is right now over there in the states. Trump needs to watch his infammatory remarks too- send Omar back to her own country, is hardly fitting of a president. Trump said a lot of bad things about foreigners and they are all of color. Lets be honest here white nationalism is very prevalent in Southern states like Texas, in the 60s it was blacks who suffereed the most, still do and now the Hispanics are a new target for young white supremacists. America needs to face up to the fact they have not fixed their race problems- if they ignore it, more men like this guy will go out and kill people for stupid reasons again.

Reports of another mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio.

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1157901983614951424

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

https://twitter.com/BobMooreNews/status/1157885351521869824?s=19

And there we have it. A white racist terrorist went to El Paso to murder Hispanic people, no doubt emboldened by the increasingly racist rhetoric from American leaders.

Much like Islamic terrorists, it's time to start going after the people who are radicalising these young men.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

https://twitter.com/BobMooreNews/status/1157885351521869824?s=19

And there we have it. A white racist terrorist went to El Paso to murder Hispanic people, no doubt emboldened by the increasingly racist rhetoric from American leaders.

Much like Islamic terrorists, it's time to start going after the people who are radicalising these young men.

Ah now I'm sure some of this boards regulars will be along to say he wasnt racist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gotta laugh at the idea of a white nationalist expressing hate against Hispanics in a city called El Paso. Who is the invader?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If the sheriff is to be believed, and I think he is, then the shooter is Anglo* and came there to kill Hispanics.
    That sounds racist to me.

*used to refer to people of British Isles descent. Possibly here used to just mean "white"

EDIT
    I cannot find this statement anywhere else?
    It is reported by a local reporter so most likely legit, just that i can't find other sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Time to edit the thread title and leave it as a stickie.

biko wrote: »
    If the sheriff is to be believed, and I think he is, then the shooter is Anglo* and came there to kill Hispanics.
    That sounds racist to me.

*used to refer to people of British Isles descent. Possibly here used to just mean "white".

Yeah, he's the racist one. :rolleyes:

"Caucasian" is usually the term used to denote white people in US by law enforcement.

"Caucasian" is usually the term used to denote white people in US by law enforcement.

Well thanks for getting to the real issue Biko. I'm sure you've given a lot of people something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Their are serious mental health problems in the US society. This sort of thing is way too common place and the perpetrators all have a common prototype.

I suppose more details will be forthcoming - like how he got the gun, motive, if he's a part of a larger network etc

wadacrack wrote: »
    Their are serious mental health problems in the US society. This sort of thing is way too common place and the perpetrators all have a common prototype.

A common prototype? Care to elaborate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Gotta laugh at the idea of a white nationalist expressing hate against Hispanics in a city called El Paso. Who is the invader?

Away with you and your education.

The ignorance of so many Americans is beyond funny, unfortunately, not least when a bigly ignorant one is supposedly their leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A common prototype? Care to elaborate?

Of recent times, white and far-right.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

MrFresh wrote: »
    Yeah, he's the racist one. :rolleyes:

You cant speak ill off the latest idol these regulars have. Dont dare call the shooter racist.

Manifesto apparently dedicated to "anti-immigration".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

wadacrack wrote: »

I don't buy this as a simple mental health label issue. It's radicalisation of young impressionable people through inciting hate, fear of what's different, faux oppression and preying on the brainwashed patriotism that the USA already has

The middle east has had plenty of it's own domestic terrorism and suicide bombing over the years and I've never heard it said to be a mental health issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,802 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anglo suggests kkk types involved. They often refer to their Anglo-Saxon heritage.

Except for the Colorado school shooting who targeted students over criticism about being transgender.
    Or in Orlando, where 49 people were killed by a ISIS follower.

And of course, in many others we don't have a motive, like Aurora, Colorado

Interesting map here with info
    https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map/

That most shooters are white isn't so strange considering the US is a white-majority country, like Ireland.
    It be kinda weird if the majority of killers were black.

It was more the prototype bit that needed elaboration.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

CNN reporting another shooting just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

That most shooters are white isn't so strange considering the US is a white-majority country, like Ireland.
    It be kinda weird if the majority of killers were black.

Em....they are. In every state the rate of death by firearm is higher for black people than white

It's most definitely disproportional towards black people.

The exception is domestic terrorism in the form of mass shootings which is more white than black

But overall it's more black people causing death by shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 22,276 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Why didn’t one of the ‘good guys with a gun’ stop the ‘bad guys with a gun’.

Isn’t that how it is supposed to work?

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    Why didn’t one of the ‘good guys with a gun’ stop the ‘bad guys with a gun’.
    https://taskandpurpose.com/el-paso-shooting-glendon-oakley
    At first, Army Pfc. Glendon Oakley Jr. was completely unaware of the chaos unfolding just around the corner. Then he pulled his gun.
    "That's what you do," he told Task & Purpose. "You pull your gun, you find cover, and you figure out what to do next."

The group quickly stumbled upon a group of a dozen children clustered in one of the mall's open play areas, screaming for their parents. Oakley says he tried to get fleeing bystanders to help, but none would stop.

"I didn't even think. I just grabbed as many kids as I could and ran five stores down to the exit," he said. "We got there and ran into a whole batch of police pointing their guns at us. I wasn't focused on myself, and I wasn't focused on my surroundings ... I was just focused on those kids."

Advertisement