Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting in el paso

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Akrasia wrote: »
    Why didn’t one of the ‘good guys with a gun’ stop the ‘bad guys with a gun’.

Isn’t that how it is supposed to work?

I suspect the Walmart may have been a gun free zone. Which is why it was attacked.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

According to recent polling, the majority of Americans actually favour increased gun control.

https://www.apnews.com/99e6a9b480a947eab6da194697b8a303

lMISGqk.jpg

https://news.gallup.com/poll/243797/six-americans-support-stricter-gun-laws.aspx

F92YIW2.png

But the weapons manufacturers, (represented by the NRA) have bought enough politicians to make sure that the will of the people on this matter is not respected,.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭Heckler

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Akrasia wrote: »
    Why didn’t one of the ‘good guys with a gun’ stop the ‘bad guys with a gun’.

Isn’t that how it is supposed to work?

Yep. 3,000 people in a mall in Texas, a state with open and conceal carry, and one of the most lax rules on gun ownership in the country (no universal background checks, no limit on buying multiple guns)

There were definitely people armed in that mall....yet the shooter wasn't shot and many people were killed...where was the self defence?

Maybe the fact he had a semi automatic AK? Or bump stock (also legal in Texas)?

Amazing the stuff that they will sell to anyone without a background check over there

Brian? wrote: »
    I suspect the Walmart may have been a gun free zone. Which is why it was attacked.

It wasn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

very sad. my condolences to anyone involved

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Heckler wrote: »

Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Very sad and unsurprising news. When are Americans going to accept the fact that more guns = more gun crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Another mass shooting in Dayton Ohio...9 dead

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Very sad and unsurprising news. When are Americans going to accept the fact that more guns = more gun crime.
    USA - 112.6 guns per 100 residents.
    Serbia - 75.6.
    Yemen - 54.8.
    Switzerland - 45.7.
    Cyprus - 36.4.
    Saudi Arabia - 35.

You never hear about mass shootings on a weekly scale in the other places.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Heckler wrote: »

Jesus, absolutely insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

At this point there should be a travel warning issued for America. Countries and foreign offices genuinely need to consider this. That’s the 250th mass shooting this year. That’s just insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

biko wrote: »
    Serbia - 75.6.
    Yemen - 54.8.
    Switzerland - 45.7.
    Cyprus - 36.4.
    Saudi Arabia - 35.

I'm not saying anything new B. The link between gun amounts and gun crime is well established in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

And what happened in 2011?
    Rate of Mass Shootings Has Tripled Since 2011, Harvard Research Shows
    https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/10/mass-shootings-increasing-harvard-research/
    harvard_timeline_AJ_2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

This shooter was another subscriber to the great replacement conspiracy, same as the Christchurch perpetrator. A conspiracy that's pushed by the far right on a constant basis, even on this site unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

At this point there should be a travel warning issued for America. Countries and foreign offices genuinely need to consider this. That’s the 250th mass shooting this year. That’s just insane.

America is the world's number 1 holiday destination. That's not changing any time soon.

Serbia - 75.6.
    Yemen - 54.8.
    Switzerland - 45.7.
    Cyprus - 36.4.
    Saudi Arabia - 35.

Until you back up your claim that the majority of gun killings are by white people in the US because it's the majority race in the population I'm not going to believe any stat you throw out.

8-10 wrote: »
    It wasn't

I stand corrected. My local Walmart when I lived in Az was a gun free zone.

This means a lot of armed “good guys” ran away.

they/them/theirs

America is the world's number 1 holiday destination. That's not changing any time soon.

We've been discussing cancelling our next trip there only this morning specifically because of this news. It's certainly making people think twice now

I stand corrected. My local Walmart when I lived in Az was a gun free zone.

This means a lot of armed “good guys” ran away.

They were outgunned anyway. People don't carry their AK to Walmart typically. The whole good guy with a gun argument is flawed on many levels

• Advertisement

They were outgunned anyway. People don't carry their AK to Walmart typically. The whole good guy with a gun argument is flawed on many levels

Don’t be fooled by that “AK”. It’s more than likely a .22 semi auto.

they/them/theirs

Don’t be fooled by that “AK”. It’s more than likely a .22 semi auto.

Right but I'm giving another example how you would be able to outgun or even match the shooter in this case if you're a good guy.

My point is those carrying are far more likely to just have a handgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

It's number 3 actually.

France is number one with Spain number two

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's interesting but it won't be an official statistic. The government has repeatedly votes against finding to count gun deaths and classify them. The mass shootings are on public record so it would be possible to get dgood data on them.

Imagine voting against even taking statistics on gun violence. Estimates are around 40,000 per year in the US. If terrorist attacks killed 40 people they would get whipped Into a frenzy and stop at nothing to get revenge. But 40,000 people isn't enough for them to even want to know for sure.

We've been discussing cancelling our next trip there only this morning specifically because of this news. It's certainly making people think twice now

I wouldn't think twice about it at all. Still an extremely safe country when compared to other parts of the world. That said a lot of American's seem to have an increasing problem with mental health but that's never a headline grabber at times like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭swampy353

That's interesting but it won't be an official statistic. The government has repeatedly votes against finding to count gun deaths and classify them. The mass shootings are on public record so it would be possible to get dgood data on them.

Imagine voting against even taking statistics on gun violence. Estimates are around 40,000 per year in the US. If terrorist attacks killed 40 people they would get whipped Into a frenzy and stop at nothing to get revenge. But 40,000 people isn't enough for them to even want to know for sure.

The CDC while technically allowed to investigate gun violence, there is no budget allocation for it. This is a direct result of the republicans
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b47a757e4b022fdcc577ad4/amp

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm not saying anything new B. The link between gun amounts and gun crime is well established in the US.

Do those other places sell guns to mentally ill people? Does their whole culture and identity revolve around guns and gun ownership? Are they all gun fetishists?

I wouldn't think twice about it at all. Still an extremely safe country when compared to other parts of the world. That said a lot of American's seem to have an increasing problem with mental health but that's never a headline grabber at times like this.

I don't believe this is simply a mental health issue. It might be a contributing factor but this is a country with domestic terrorism and increasing radicalisation. These arent just people going crazy who have a gun. This is the same as suicide bombings in the middle east. Another place I'd think twice if I was visiting.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    It's number 3 actually.

France is number one with Spain number two

So it's 86m to 80m. My point still stands. It's not Syria ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ever not always

As always thoughts and prayers.....till the next time...next week probably.

Spoke too soon...

Advertisement